Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

RV retirement? (Page 3 of 3)
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#1]
  If you really want to travel and see places , get a storage unit to put anything you want to keep in.

Then  ,
get a USED truck camper.
You have all the space you need to sleep , shower , and shit.
You can park it almost anywhere.
Expenses are the same as just a daily driver. (Roughly).
Cheapest, most efficient way to go.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TruckinAR:

I have been full time for about a year and a half so far.

I am enjoying it.

It is not much different than a "sticks and bricks". Shit breaks, you fix it.

You tire of your view, just move.

That said, Parks have their ups and downs as does boondocking and "moochdocking".

If you do not want to use Privately owned parks, most of the State and Fed parks will limit you to 14 days at a time.
Private will go long term, but from what I have found, they will charge you a base fee and then electricity for times longer than a month.

Some State land will give you a month, most are 14 days. Some are strict, some are lax.

Good thing is you wont pay property tax, so that money you would spend and get shit out of it, now you can use that to see cool places of fix shit that breaks.

there are a lot of stuff to do and see if you wish to actually move.

Ask me things and I will do my best

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120021/DJI_0050_Copy_jpg-3195786.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120021/20231115_172518_jpg-3195788.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120021/20230730_112847_jpg-3195790.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Scar811:  So I’m 53 and considering the RV retirement lifestyle of buying a nice RV and living in some RV areas for a few years just to kinda get away from it all.
I know the state parks and national parks usually have some kind of program for “full timers” where you can get discounted rates or even more-so if you’re a veteran.
Has anyone done this and what can you tell me about your experience or lifestyle while doing so?
I spoke to a lady that did it with her husband for several years and she loved it, but he passed away and she had to buy a residence.
Please tell me your experience if you will.

I am enjoying it.

That said, Parks have their ups and downs as does boondocking and "moochdocking".

If you do not want to use Privately owned parks, most of the State and Fed parks will limit you to 14 days at a time.
Private will go long term, but from what I have found, they will charge you a base fee and then electricity for times longer than a month.

Some State land will give you a month, most are 14 days. Some are strict, some are lax.

Good thing is you wont pay property tax, so that money you would spend and get shit out of it, now you can use that to see cool places of fix shit that breaks.

What's in the garage?  What's the tow vehicle, tow rating, & weight of the trailer from factory?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#3]
@autumnsong
Thanks for all the good info! I appreciate the prices as it is easier to decide if it is something that makes sense for me. Prices for the additional places have gone up, so I am sure the original membership has as well. Buying after market makes sense!

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

What's in the garage?  What's the tow vehicle, tow rating, & weight of the trailer from factory?
View Quote

Garage is a mobile office

Attachment Attached File

I have a Ram 2500

GVWR is 13K on the RV

CGVW is right at 20K
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#5]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120021/Desk_V_2_1_jpg-3195902.JPG

I have a Ram 2500

GVWR is 13K on the RV

CGVW is right at 20K
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  What's in the garage?  What's the tow vehicle, tow rating, & weight of the trailer from factory?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120021/Desk_V_2_1_jpg-3195902.JPG

I have a Ram 2500

GVWR is 13K on the RV

CGVW is right at 20K

I used to make corrections w/ whiteout, but after replacing a few monitors I had to finally learn how to use the backspace key.  Never thought about just using a Magic Marker.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#6]
@backbencher
Thank you for the reply! I appreciate the info.

You do realize you sent me down another rabbit hole. I was looking at Tiny Toy Haulers...these are like a mobile home. One can certainly live in something like this, part of the year, and not feel like you have no space.

It is too bad FW will not even look inside one, as she may say, "Wow, this is not as bad as I thought it would be!"

I prefer having my own space when traveling. Cooking would be a breeze in one of these. You could make meals ahead, freeze them and just shove them in the oven as needed. Of course one could send their bf (Your case: husband) out to cook on the grill - Win-Win.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Lhands:  @backbencher
Thank you for the reply! I appreciate the info.

You do realize you sent me down another rabbit hole. I was looking at Tiny Toy Haulers...these are like a mobile home. One can certainly live in something like this, part of the year, and not feel like you have no space.

It is too bad FW will not even look inside one, as she may say, "Wow, this is not as bad as I thought it would be!"

I prefer having my own space when traveling. Cooking would be a breeze in one of these. You could make meals ahead, freeze them and just shove them in the oven as needed. Of course one could send their bf (Your case: husband) out to cook on the grill - Win-Win.
View Quote

Ummm - we haven't told you how "well" propane fridges work on the road, have we?  

FW_wife has been in mine a few times, but camping isn't her thing.

Keep in mind the very largest RVs are a couple hundred square feet at most - think of the smallest apartment you ever lived in, and the largest RV you'll ever find is less than half that size.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#8]
@backbencher
I have a Euhomy 55Liter(59qt) RV Refrigerator with 12/24V DC & 110-240V AC, Portable refrigerator freezer and this works really really good. I have been seeing a lot of the new campers with 12V battery refrigerators now too.

Most hotel rooms are less space with no kitchen.

I squeezed in to a 900 sf apartment with 4.5' knee wall all around while taking care of my mom, so I can handle tiny for quite a while. I am not looking to go full-time camper life. Just a while to get away from Michigan in the winter & some long weekend trips to see some more of our beautiful country. Besides, you don't go camping to stay inside the camper.

Sorry FW-Wife does not like the idea! Maybe you will have to get that camper out to some of the events the Arfcom bunch has to have some fun...
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:

So if I get $85K cash back when I sell it where did it come from?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tac556:

@ACEB36TC

You deducted the 85k resale value twice….  So you are off by 85k.  You didn’t get 8 years of use for 11k….  

That thing you called “equity” earlier in your calculations…
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By anothermisanthrope:
Not long term, but a buddy has class C and when traveling stays at a https://www.harvesthosts.com/ location - some are really cool.
View Quote

We've used Harvest Host several times.  It's a great program.  Not full time yet.  But we/I do plan on traveling once I retire.  Currently have an Airstream Basecamp 20x.  By the time I retire.  I'll have a bigger trailer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Euhomy 55Liter(59qt) RV Refrigerator with 12/24V DC & 110-240V AC, Portable refrigerator freezer and this works really really good. I have been seeing a lot of the new campers with 12V battery refrigerators now too.

I squeezed in to a 900 sf apartment with 4.5' knee wall all around while taking care of my mom, so I can handle tiny for quite a while. I am not looking to go full-time camper life. Just a while to get away from Michigan in the winter & some long weekend trips to see some more of our beautiful country. Besides, you don't go camping to stay inside the camper.

Sorry FW-Wife does not like the idea! Maybe you will have to get that camper out to some of the events the Arfcom bunch has to have some fun...
View Quote

Eh, just about all hotel rooms come w/ a microwave & fridge these days that I've seen, and I've stayed at border motels w/ mirrors on the ceiling.  Travel w/ your own pots & pans, & a decent sized ice chest - or just go shopping at WalMart - bring your own hot plate with you, and you've got more room than I ever had in my B.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#12]

I am enjoying it.

View Quote

@TruckinAR

I could wakeup most days to a sight like this. Wanna give a clue where this might be?  Dont have to be exact if you dont want to.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Eh, just about all hotel rooms come w/ a microwave & fridge these days that I've seen, and I've stayed at border motels w/ mirrors on the ceiling.  Travel w/ your own pots & pans, & a decent sized ice chest - or just go shopping at WalMart - bring your own hot plate with you, and you've got more room than I ever had in my B.
View All Quotes

Plenty of the hotel chains that have extended living setups that have fridges, pots/pans, microwave, usually even at least one burner (typically no oven though). I used to like staying at the IHG candlewood suites in southfield, MI when I would cover the NAIAS due to the amount of room and working space I had and kitchenette to have plenty of beer for all my article writing, and space for some extra food and drinks. I'd use those candlewoods sometimes when i was doing a working vacation too. A lot cheaper then even a holiday inn/express because it didn't have all the "free" shit but was extraordinarily more functional.  Mariott has several brands like that as well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:00:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lorax] [#14]

there are NOT a lot of 50 ish aged womenz solo RVing.

I have been going at it for about a year and a half and not one female in my age group is something I wish to see nekkid.

just sayin'
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tactical_Jew:
If you’re a single guy, you will love it. Because there are a lot of single women doing the same.

there are NOT a lot of 50 ish aged womenz solo RVing.

I have been going at it for about a year and a half and not one female in my age group is something I wish to see nekkid.

just sayin'

I have to say that my wife and  I meet more 50 yr old+ and retired women out soloing in the back country nomad lifestyle alone than men by far. Usually little Scamps or vans with a portable awning.
They seem to live simply better than their male counterparts.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:

@TruckinAR

I could wakeup most days to a sight like this. Wanna give a clue where this might be?  Dont have to be exact if you dont want to.

View Quote

It is west/ north-west of Taos NM.
BLM area.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#16]

BLM area.

View Quote

Thanks.  I know that area, love it up there.  I spend a lot of summers in Red River and do all my shopping in Taos.  I just explored the 3 Rivers area last year, didn't realize that canyon was hiding off out there in the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Thanks.  I know that area, love it up there.  I spend a lot of summers in Red River and do all my shopping in Taos.  I just explored the 3 Rivers area last year, didn't realize that canyon was hiding off out there in the middle of nowhere.
View All Quotes

BLM area.

Just on the west side of the canyon, past the "recycled materials houses?" there is a bunch of really good camping spots. I have been staying there for years.
Now, keep going about 30 miles west and there are even better spots. Lots of trees, but it rains a few times a week.
The pic I posted was from just north neat Peidras.

There is also a nice hot spring in the canyon, north side of the bridge about 6 miles or so.

I plan on hanging out in Az. this coming winter, so we will see how that goes.

If gas is not stupid priced, I may head up into Montana for a month or so.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#18]
We didn't do it full time, and only for three years with a 34' travel trailer.  We never sold our house.
About 3.5 months in '21 off and on, 5 months in '22 in two different stretches, and 5.5 months continuous in '23.
Then we sold the trailer.  I think if we'd stayed longer in places at any one time we may not have quit.  We did 10 weeks in one place in Maine in '22 and it was glorious.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:24:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lhands] [#19]
@backbencher
Are you trying to talk me out of camper excursions?

I guess it has been WAY too long since I have been able to go on a trip anywhere to see microwaves and fridges in hotel rooms. It has been close to 13 years. I committed to helping mom through her end of life and sadly that is now over, BUT I am now free to move about the nation. {She was a WWII vet and a Rosie the Riveter before that. 101 yo. She went at home in her bed because I made sure she could. Just like she asked for and deserved.}

I still like the idea of having my own space to travel in.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Lhands:
@backbencher
Are you trying to talk me out of camper excursions?

I guess it has been WAY too long since I have been able to go on a trip anywhere to see microwaves and fridges in hotel rooms. It has been close to 13 years. I committed to helping mom through her end of life and sadly that is now over, BUT I am now free to move about the nation. {She was a WWII vet and a Rosie the Riveter before that. 101 yo. She went at home in her bed because I made sure she could. Just like she asked for and deserved.}

I still like the idea of having my own space to travel in.
View Quote

Dude, I'm subscribed to the thread, you don't have to @ me AT ALL in this thread I've been replying to.

RVs are like Gym subscriptions - they are money losing propositions for the vast majority of folks.  The only ones who actually come out ahead on the deal are those who actually use them.

Remember the rule of the 3 Fs - rent it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Look at Thousand Trails, OP.
View Quote

Look on the secondary market.  There are always people trying to exit the time share contract and TT(RCI) aren’t interested in letting you go.
My ownership was 20 years ago, they had nice parks and amenities.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By double_trouble_2003:

Look on the secondary market.  There are always people trying to exit the time share contract and TT(RCI) aren’t interested in letting you go.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By double_trouble_2003:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Look at Thousand Trails, OP.

Absolutely.  If you're fulltiming & like to stay in decent parks, they seemingly had a pretty decent setup.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#23]
relevant thread.  I've actually been considering this for retirement, a 30ft Class A with a small toad.  Figure a year on the road then we settle down in a house.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Scar811:
Thank you for the replies. Lots of things to conteplate in here.
One thing I began to make note of about a year ago..some of tge newer RV Parks are corporate owned and actually very nice. Nice laundry buildings, convenience stores, swimming pools, game rooms, marinas and community events. Truly resort type living and the monthly rates go from 600.00 all the way to 1400.00 per month. The more expensive ones are in resort type destinations such as Orlando, keys, San Diego, etc.
The state parks are ok, but I think they get overcrowded and may not be managed as well.
View Quote
There is one campground on Table Rock Lake right at the AR/MO line close to Ridgedale that sells campsites.  Granted they are rather nice, but these are selling for $50K and up ibto the 6 figures.   Something people with a big class A buy to park at.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By phlat:
There is one campground on Table Rock Lake right at the AR/MO line close to Ridgedale that sells campsites.  Granted they are rather nice, but these are selling for $50K and up ibto the 6 figures.   Something people with a big class A buy to park at.
View Quote

Hell yeah welcome to Montana! 300K for a parking spot at the "resort"

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Dude, I'm subscribed to the thread, you don't have to @ me AT ALL in this thread I've been replying to.

RVs are like Gym subscriptions - they are money losing propositions for the vast majority of folks.  The only ones who actually come out ahead on the deal are those who actually use them.

View All Quotes

backbencher,
1st - I am not a Dude. I am a female.

I am sorry for using the @ to reach you! Even though I have been on Arf a while, I have not posted a whole lot and I am a bit of a newbie. I thought that is what I had to do to make sure you saw my message since I am not the OP. You kept commenting, so I kept replying back thinking it was the polite thing to do.

I appreciate the info you gave me and will bother you no more.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#27]

backbencher,

I am sorry for using the @ to reach you! Even though I have been on Arf a while, I have not posted a whole lot and I am a bit of a newbie. I thought that is what I had to do to make sure you saw my message since I am not the OP. You kept commenting, so I kept replying back thinking it was the polite thing to do.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Dude, I'm subscribed to the thread, you don't have to @ me AT ALL in this thread I've been replying to.

backbencher,

Leghumpers inbound!  

Feel free to holler if you have questions - @s when you're already subscribed to a thread are a pain, particularly when surfing on yer phone.

I urban boondocked and plugged in at my job for years fulltiming in a B, very much a non-traditional full-timing experience.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Lots of negative Nancy responses in this thread. The reality is some folks love the RV lifestyle and some don’t. OP needs to try it out and see how it fits.

Just FYI, there is also a camping and RV subforum on AR15.com in the outdoors section.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Scar811:
Thank you for the replies. Lots of things to conteplate in here.
One thing I began to make note of about a year ago..some of tge newer RV Parks are corporate owned and actually very nice. Nice laundry buildings, convenience stores, swimming pools, game rooms, marinas and community events. Truly resort type living and the monthly rates go from 600.00 all the way to 1400.00 per month. The more expensive ones are in resort type destinations such as Orlando, keys, San Diego, etc.
The state parks are ok, but I think they get overcrowded and may not be managed as well.
View Quote

The park we stayed at in Key West was $4200 a month with a water view. One night was $265 or something.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:46:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#30]
Originally Posted By FDC:

You're in luck.  Here is one for sale.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99516/Capture_JPG-3194178.JPG
View Quote

And when the door needs to be worked on (trust me, it will) the entire kitchen comes out! The floor will get damaged, the water will leak, and the trim will never fit right again.

I would be very very picky about who upfits a small van. Or, Winnebago/Thor and bank on their national network of service centers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#31]
RV not for me.  I get it but it's just not for me.  Good luck OP.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I got the perfect camper for your needs for sale. It’s a little used but solid. Just put in a few more drywall screws to make it stronger. Might throw in the tow vehicle as well as long as you don’t low ball me, I know what I have.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#33]
You need to get a good idea of the cst of site rental.  If you are old enough you can typically get discounts on National Parks, Corps of Engineer parks, etc.   Plus your home state probably discounts the rates.   I'm not quite old enough to qualify so 2 weeks at a state park in the FL Keys is going to cost about $700.  Florida requires that you leave the park after 14 days for 3 days before you can come back for another 14 days.   Plus, availability can be a significant issue.  Florida and Georgia give residents an extra month to book sites before outsiders so all of the desireable sites and parks are often booked up by the time a non-resident can book.

For me, the sweet spot would be a mid sized 5th wheel.  A Grand Design 303RLS is a good example of not too long but has enough room to tolerate.  A travel trailer in the 30-32 foot range would also be a decent option.  A 5r or TT gives you your tow vehicle to use when your rig is parked.   A motorhome requires a toad which to me is a significant downside.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ChuckcJax:  You need to get a good idea of the cst of site rental.  If you are old enough you can typically get discounts on National Parks, Corps of Engineer parks, etc.   Plus your home state probably discounts the rates.   I'm not quite old enough to qualify so 2 weeks at a state park in the FL Keys is going to cost about $700.  Florida requires that you leave the park after 14 days for 3 days before you can come back for another 14 days.   Plus, availability can be a significant issue.  Florida and Georgia give residents an extra month to book sites before outsiders so all of the desireable sites and parks are often booked up by the time a non-resident can book.

For me, the sweet spot would be a mid sized 5th wheel.  A Grand Design 303RLS is a good example of not too long but has enough room to tolerate.  A travel trailer in the 30-32 foot range would also be a decent option.  A 5r or TT gives you your tow vehicle to use when your rig is parked.   A motorhome requires a toad which to me is a significant downside.
View Quote

Only As & Cs need toads.  

We've not spoken much about truck campers, that's an option as well, easier to park, easier to drive than towing, set it up at the campsite and take the now empty truck to town.

I submit a B has as much room, and is easier to deal w/ in a lot of ways, but doesn't give you the flexibility of an empty pickup bed when needed, though I've transported a 500cc motorcycle inside the B.

Cracker Barrel generally has free overnight boondocking, though you're rather obligated to buy your breakfast from em, and most WalMarts have free RV parking.

Some Bs can stealth park in blue collar - or even some white collar neighborhoods in urban centers.  A white windowless Sprinter/Ford/Dodge/Nissan van can just disappear in business parks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:24:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: simply_green] [#35]
………….
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By dino1:
I’ve wondered if the RV life is for me.

How is dealing with your own “black water”

Handling my own shit seems really low on my list of wants.
View Quote

No big deal as long as your hose doesn't spring a leak.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Ummm - we haven't told you how "well" propane fridges work on the road, have we?  

Keep in mind the very largest RVs are a couple hundred square feet at most - think of the smallest apartment you ever lived in, and the largest RV you'll ever find is less than half that size.
View Quote

Propane fridges suck, but with modern solar systems there is zero reason to not get a 12v fridge, and mine is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#38]

That thing you called "equity" earlier in your calculations
View All Quotes

@ACEB36TC

You deducted the 85k resale value twice .  So you are off by 85k.  You didn't get 8 years of use for 11k .  

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't follow that math.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Shadowgrouse:

Propane fridges suck, but with modern solar systems there is zero reason to not get a 12v fridge, and mine is awesome.
View Quote

I'm also happy with the 12V compressor fridge in our TT.   I hope it is more reliable than the propane fridges in past units.  I have replaced 2 of them at significant expense and aggravation.  The one advantage of a propane fridge is boondocking as a 30 pound propane tank will run a propane fridge for a LONG time and doesn't eat up too much 12v capacity.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Someone said that it all works best for those who like the camping lifestyle.   I think that is key.  The nicest rig in the nicest park will still be burdensome if you are not happy where you are.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Ummm - we haven't told you how "well" propane fridges work on the road, have we?  

That's the ticket.  My rig is before effective solar & affordable lithium batteries.  We need a plug-in hybrid RV chassis w/ a giant lithium battery bank.  Make boondocking great again!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#42]
I still have a decade and a half until retirement, but hopefully when the time comes my wife, and I will be able to spend a lot of time in a camper.  What we won't do is not have a home base of some sort.  Don't sell everything and not have a home unless you have already spent significant time in a camper and know that's what you want.

I haven't lived in an RV and sure as hell wouldn't want to unless I have done more than a few test runs.

Until then it will be long summer weekends in our 20' trailer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#43]
I could happily live the rest of my live in an RV - big, small, makes no difference if I had funds & a town VIC, either a toad, tractor, or a B.

I have severe doubts FW_wife would go along, let alone sell the house that she & Fatalwishes had built.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:33:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dboy11] [#44]
Maybe a hair brained idea,
 But what about a semi with a huge sleeper, and get loads that are light.  Pick up loads when you need to but at least you get paid to move around

Keep in mind I know nothing about OTR

For me the sweet spot would be a gmc Yukon Denali or Audi s7 and the Marriott
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Dboy11:  Maybe a hair brained idea,
 But what about a semi with a huge sleeper, and get loads that are light.  Pick up loads when you need to but at least you get paid to move around

Keep in mind I know nothing about OTR

For me the sweet spot would be a gmc Yukon Denali or Audi s7 and the Marriott
View Quote

There are truckers w/ an extended RV cab that just live in their rigs.  Not many.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#46]
89 days. Eighty-nine working days until retirement at age 50.

The plan is to buy a 17’ Casita trailer and spend a ton of time on the road. We’ll travel back and forth from our home but for at least a year we will travel the West as much possible.

After 31 years of living out of a bag and sleeping in the dirt I look forward to the “luxuries” of a wall that doesn’t flap in the wind, a table to eat off of, a toilet to sit on, and metal tableware that doesn’t break when cutting a fried egg.

I cannot wait!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By sunnybean:  89 days. Eighty-nine working days until retirement at age 50.

The plan is to buy a 17’ Casita trailer and spend a ton of time on the road. We’ll travel back and forth from our home but for at least a year we will travel the West as much possible.

After 31 years of living out of a bag and sleeping in the dirt I look forward to the “luxuries” of a wall that doesn’t flap in the wind, a table to eat off of, a toilet to sit on, and metal tableware that doesn’t break when cutting a fried egg.

I cannot wait!
View Quote

You'll get more out of your freshwater tank if you keep using plastic "silver"ware.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:00:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeJGA] [#48]
FWIW.  Wife, myself, 1 cat and 1 dog just completed 9 weeks visiting National Parks in TX, NM, AZ, and CA in a 40 foot Keystone 5th wheel toy hauler.  The tow vehicle is a RAM 2500 HD diesel. We stayed in nice RV resorts: 50a AC, water, sewer, Wi-Fi, pool and security at all of the sites and cable TV at most.  The average cost was $57 a night.  

It was great but after 7 weeks I need my own space and was glad to get
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:10:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bradinator:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bradinator:

@ACEB36TC

You deducted the 85k resale value twice .  So you are off by 85k.  You didn't get 8 years of use for 11k .  

I think if he spent maybe 5 more years on the road he'd actually come out 85k ahead of the game.
Imagine 10 more years.......
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:14:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Just some FYI videos to be aware of.

Do You Still Want to Buy an RV?

Here is Why You Must be INSANE to buy an RV These Days

Judge Says RV Manufacturer's Disclaimers are an Anti-Consumer 'Scheme'

Here is the Genius Way to Buy an RV

State Court Rules than an RV is NOT a "Home"

TLDW: Basically all RV dealers are not your friend and if any problems arise you will have to take it up with the manufacturer in their home court in their home state.
Do not buy new.  Get it inspected.  Do your research. And keep a permanent residence fully anchored to the ground somewhere as the RV can be taken away... leaving you homeless.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
RV retirement? (Page 3 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top