User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:16:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike_Anthony] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
Become a person when the brain grows and activates yes.   Let me repeat that    BECOME. a person.    Not IS a person or ever HAS BEEN a person.  You are trying to use government force to make sure a fetus becomes a person.  Not to save a person.  You just said it yourself.  

In order for you to consider it murder you have to hold a belief that fate has determine that person must come into existence.  I don't believe that.  I don't believe you have to right to force a woman to grow a fertilized egg into a person. She should be able to choose not to until 15 weeks when it becomes a person.
View Quote
Even pro abortion states like California will charge someone with infanticide murder if they cause a woman to have a miscarriage, or if they kill a mother and her unborn child. They consider a fetus as an unborn person. The only time an unborn child is referred to as a 'clump of cells' is when Democrats need to stir up emotions in women during election time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:09:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Mike_Anthony:
Even pro abortion states like California will charge someone with infanticide murder if they cause a woman to have a miscarriage, or if they kill a mother and her unborn child. They consider a fetus as an unborn person. The only time an unborn child is referred to as a 'clump of cells' is when Democrats need to stir up emotions in women during election time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mike_Anthony:
Become a person when the brain grows and activates yes.   Let me repeat that    BECOME. a person.    Not IS a person or ever HAS BEEN a person.  You are trying to use government force to make sure a fetus becomes a person.  Not to save a person.  You just said it yourself.  

In order for you to consider it murder you have to hold a belief that fate has determine that person must come into existence.  I don't believe that.  I don't believe you have to right to force a woman to grow a fertilized egg into a person. She should be able to choose not to until 15 weeks when it becomes a person.
You're exactly right.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:37:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#3]
Originally Posted By Twisted10:

ive been saying this for years.

not that i agree with either but if they dont do something, theyll keep losing.

one state at a time...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Twisted10:
Originally Posted By CypressCity:
Abortion and weed are the two things that keep Republicans out of office.  Such a stupid fucking hill to die on.

ive been saying this for years.

not that i agree with either but if they dont do something, theyll keep losing.

one state at a time...

Maybe. Of course, the Rs could "lighten up" on the 2A & get more votes as well. Oh what a conundrum.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
“Compromise on killing kids in the womb to win votes!”

Or we could just remove women’s right to vote and solve the problem entirely
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:29:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: victorgonzales] [#5]
Originally Posted By zentradi:

Saw this tweet and it reminded me of this thread.   The pastor nailed it.

The only coherent pro-life position is that life begins at conception and all life is inherently valuable.

If you make exceptions to this rule, your argument loses all consistency and credibility.

Christians who compromise on abortion are cowards, frauds, or fools.
View Quote
All life doesn't have equal value.  For example.  A fetus has less value before it has a developed brain capable of conscious though and becomes a person.   So I'm not willing to turn my country into a communist authoritarian state to try and eventually fail to pass first trimester abortion bans. Should be an easy choice for anyone with mild intelligence.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By vaughn4380:

They knew what they were doing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:56:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#7]
All life doesn't have equal value.  For example.  A fetus has less value before it has a developed brain capable of conscious though and becomes a person.   So I'm not willing to turn my country into a communist authoritarian state to try and eventually fail to pass first trimester abortion bans. Should be an easy choice for anyone with mild intelligence.
View Quote

Who says? What is the basis of this value assertion? Is this some kind of "productive capacity" argument? How very utilitarian of you, if so.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:37:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sebastian_MacMaine] [#8]
So is it correct that Arizona's legislature just repealed the abortion ban, and that Hobbs is going to sign that, reverting abortion to being legal up to 15 weeks?

https://apnews.com/article/arizona-governor-abortion-ban-1864-signing-07bba2fa805971be62b800bd89c81a5a

Arizona’s Democratic governor signs a bill to repeal 1864 ban on most abortions

PHOENIX (AP) — Democratic Arizona Gov. Katie Hobbs has relegated a Civil War-era ban on most abortions to the past by signing a bill Thursday to repeal it.

Hobbs says the move is just the beginning of a fight to protect reproductive health care in Arizona. The repeal of the 1864 law that the state Supreme Court recently reinstated won’t take effect until 90 days after the legislative session ends, which typically happens in June or July.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Sebastian_MacMaine:
So is it correct that Arizona's legislature just repealed the abortion ban, and that Hobbs is going to sign that, reverting abortion to being legal up to 15 weeks?

https://apnews.com/article/arizona-governor-abortion-ban-1864-signing-07bba2fa805971be62b800bd89c81a5a

View Quote
Looks like Republicans didn't want to completely lose control of the state.   Good.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Jackslack:

If you think winning the kingship, er, presidency will change things...

Congress makes laws not the president.
View Quote

someone should tell the ATF hat then.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#11]
AZ changing the law to 15 weeks so far from the election will disincentivize the pink hair crazy fat abortion voters.

Maybe AZ is still in play.

Hobbs counting votes is probably the real problem. Crooked MFer.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By gotigers:
AZ changing the law to 15 weeks so far from the election will disincentivize the pink hair crazy fat abortion voters.

Maybe AZ is still in play.

Hobbs counting votes is probably the real problem. Crooked MFer.
View Quote
It should.  My wife told me every women she knows was wound up to go vote for the ballot prop if the legislature didn't undo this dumb shit.  Women who don't normally vote
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

Who says? What is the basis of this value assertion? Is this some kind of "productive capacity" argument? How very utilitarian of you, if so.
View Quote
Victor in his never ending practice of arbitrary and relative standards. God complex with a vengeance.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:11:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aplomado] [#14]
If anyone of you want to know what a healthy, living fetus at 9 weeks gestation looks like, check out this video.

Does this look like a living human being to you?

And if you are interested in brain activity, well, that's been studied also:

Recordings from surgical termination of pregnancy
Between 1955 and 1961, Winslow Borkowski and Richard Bernstine, doctors at Jefferson Medical College Hospital, temporarily preserved tiny unborn fetuses removed during ectopic pregnancies and recorded from their brains. The team used needle electrodes to record brain activity at 3 millimeters and 1 centimeter below the brain surface.[1] These electrodes penetrated the cranial tissue, which solves the problem of electrical interference from nearby muscles.

The youngest fetus that Borkowski and Bernstine studied was between 43 and 45 days post-conception – only 16mm long. At 45 days after conception, the brain is bent forward and is almost as large as the entire body of the fetus, allowing for these deep recordings.[1] The 45-day-old fetus's electrical signals resembled the "discontinuous" patterns observed in healthy newborns, premature infants, and fetuses in the last trimester of pregnancy.[11] The doctors also observed patterns that resembled "sleep spindles" in adults.[1] The scientists continued recording until they consistently observed patterns of brain death, since the fetuses could not survive outside the uterus.[11]

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_EEG

Human fetus are not brain dead.  They have healthy, living brains that are active at least by 45 days in the pregnancy.  What are they thinking?  Who knows?  But they aren't equivalent to a brain-dead individual.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ThornBooger:
I'm in favor of the 12-15 week ban. I don't believe that a fetus of that age is a baby, a child, a kid, a person or anything else and I'm in the majority whether you like it or not.
View Quote

Do you want to know what a 3 month fetus looks like?

Here you go:

3 Months Pregnant: End of the first trimester
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#16]
14 weeks and 6 days it's good, moral, and legal, then by the magic of relativism, 1 more day it's bad, immoral, and illegal. We are a wretched race.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Someone asleep has a brain capable of conscious thought.  Someone in a coma has a brain capable of conscious thought.  Someone brain dead, no neurons firing living on machines keeping blood flowing to their organs, does not.
View Quote

Imagine we have a normal, awake person.  He has a brain capable of concious thought.  Is he a person?  Sure.

Suppose he becomes unconscious.  He isn't capable to thought.

Suppose he wakes up, and starts thinking again.  

Is he the same person he was before he got knocked out?

Sure... because his personhood does not depend on the ability to think consciously.... he still retained his personhood while not capable of conscious thought.

A person is defined as a human being, not in reference to mental abilities.  Let us look at the defintion of person:

person
noun
per·​son ˈpər-sᵊn
Synonyms of person
: HUMAN, INDIVIDUAL —sometimes used in combination especially by those who prefer to avoid man in compounds applicable to both sexes

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/person

Does a fetus qualify?

fetus
noun
fe·​tus ˈfē-təs
: an unborn or unhatched vertebrate especially after attaining the basic structural plan of its kind
specifically : a developing human from usually two months after conception to birth

Human fetuses are, by definition, people.
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top