BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RV8guy:
Tree guy came by today and quoted me $450 to remove and partially grind the stump.
View Quote

Well worth that if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.  I'd pay it without hesitation.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By McGuy:
Most of the time. Inbred Jed (Guilty of Treeson) knew what he was doing and still got killed doing a job last year.
View Quote

In a manner that many amateur arborists probably don't pay enough attention to:  stuff hung up overhead to come crashing down when the tree starts moving around.  It's easy to get fixated on the cut you're making and lose track of what might be going on overhead.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

It’s hard to pay tax when paid in gold
View Quote

Cant collect taxes from a paycheck when it's all SOUND MONEY
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By McGuy:

Fell over on it's own? Did it do any damage?
View Quote

Yes, on its own. The fall took the power lines out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I would watch YouTube videos about trees being taken down with tannerite.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By KonamiCode:
I have 2 eucalyptus trees in my backyard that are over 100 years old and at least 65 feet tall. The cost just to trim them is astronomical. I can’t wait to see what it will cost to cut them down when that day comes.
View Quote

Don't make the mistake I made. KOALAs eat eucalyptus, not pandas.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Unlubed:
Need pictures. I've removed one tree for $48,000 and I've taken down 10 trees for $1,000. You need to provide context. The job I did yesterday was $7,400. The job I'm doing tomorrow before taking the rest of the day off is gonna be $300. Last week I dropped a tree for free because it was better to do that than waste time going back for the work, it took 4 minutes and that tree had branches bigger than the tree you described in your OP.
View Quote

What we need is a picture of the $48,000 tree.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Underscore_O_Three:
View Quote

Tannerite sucks because it isn't brissant.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Underscore_O_Three:
View Quote

Weird.  You know those oddball thoughts that pop into your head just as you're falling asleep sometimes?  A couple days ago I dozed off thinking about coming up with some kind of shotgun "Limb Cutter" shell you could use to take out problem branches.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Tree guy came by today and quoted me $450 to remove and partially grind the stump.
View Quote

Dude, that's a no-brainer.  Must be country-boy territory.  City boy work seems to start at $800.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Have your husband remove them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Two story house with a very steep roof. Zero percent chance of me getting up there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VAbull:
Do it in pieces . Climb on the roof and start from the top down . Take all the branches over the house off then cut the trunk .

Two story house with a very steep roof. Zero percent chance of me getting up there.

You didn’t buy a harness back when Mapul released their Art of the Tactical Helicopter video?

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:34:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RV8guy] [#13]
As an added bonus, the power going out this morning killed both the monitors on my desktop. My other pc that runs my vinyl cutter is just fine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#14]
As an added bonus, the power going out this morning killed both the monitors on my desktop. My other pc that runs my vinyl cutter is just fine.
View Quote

but why?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:43:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#15]
Understanding how a tree will react once you start cutting into it is key. A buddy and I dropped this heavy leaner last year. High likelihood it would barber chair so I was on lookout while he focused on the cut…with cleared escape routes identified before the cutting began. Normally you would chain a tree like this above the cut but it was worth letting barber chair to show how deadly it can be for Joe Blow with a $149 Walmart chainsaw who doesn’t have a clue.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Generally I am pretty brave with tree removal.  I have some decent equipment and most of the time there is not a LOT of danger - worse danger is having it fall on my track loader roof (which is a pretty heavily reinforced roof).  I have about 16 trees I need to take care of at the moment - 12 are probabably not going to be a problem - other than moving close to 20k lbs of equipment to do it (It will be 10 hours of driving all in).  The other 2 are both twin trees, and there is no way I can use my equipment without having 2 fall on me.

Well maybe...  I might be able to push one to the side (without cutting it, and the second might fall when the roots are destroyed when the first falls).  I also could damage the roots on the first before I try to push them.  That said - already told the builder I can not do them, so 50/50 I will try.  Will see how I feel about it tomorrow.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top