Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 41
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:

So that Law actually states that Presidents do NOT have the power to declassify?

Yes, that’s what you just said.

Declassify means declassify.

View Quote

The statute under which he was charged doesn’t talk about classified information. It talks about national security information. And specifically, if you have national security information, and the government asks for it back, you can’t keep it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:17:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#2]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread is awesome! Perhaps the most chuckles I have ever gotten from 1 thread! It just keeps delivering!
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Low_Country:

The statute under which he was charged doesn’t talk about classified information. It talks about national security information. And specifically, if you have national security information, and the government asks for it back, you can’t keep it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

So that Law actually states that Presidents do NOT have the power to declassify?

Yes, that’s what you just said.

Declassify means declassify.

If the government is entitled to it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Your “appeal to authority” fallacy is sad.
View Quote

It’s not my fault seemingly few people have read the full indictment and applicable federal statutes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Yes, but it doesn't pertain to copies.
View All Quotes

Yes, but it doesn't pertain to copies.

They weren't declassified as per Trump saying so himself. And tell the National Archives they must have been mistaken when they requested the documents from Trump.

And now Trump is in a heap of trouble with obstruction. Because of his staff being ordered to move the documents before the FBI showed up. Lol
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Unless you were the President and you declassified it.  Then it’s no longer “national security information.”

View Quote

If that were the case you think he’d at least have taken the time to remove the red and yellow stickers from the boxes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DaveM4K:

You should stop . Don't confirm what people think.
View Quote
That ship sailed a long time ago
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Trump MIGHT have violated the law, but it's definitely a complicated question because of his status.

Hillary DEFINITELY violated the law.  We know this because the head of the FBI publicly described the multiple felonies that she knowingly committed.

Biden DEFINITELY violated the law, both in keeping classified documents at his house AND in the irresponsible way he stored them.

The fact that Trump is being prosecuted while they are not is grotesque, and every citizen - regardless of political affiliation or like/dislike for any of them - should be not only outraged, but should also be very concerned for the general state of the Rule of Law in the United States.  

That's my opinion.  Worth what you paid for it.  
View Quote

+1

And the fact that MSM just pretends that somehow Trump's was way worse, and sweeps the others under the rug speaks volumes as to how partisan they are. They should be elated that they operate in a country where they can freely report the truth (and what a difference that could make in cleaning up corruption), but they've sold themselves out to the radical left.

So sad.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Oooo and trying to have his people find and destroy the video evidence of them doing it
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Wasn’t the question. The question was over subpoena powers.  And yes, the DOJ does have subpoena power, which is who issued it.
View Quote

Armstrong I: We conclude that permitting judicial review of the President's compliance with the PRA would upset the intricate statutory scheme Congress carefully drafted to keep in equipoise important competing political and constitutional concerns. We therefore hold that the PRA is one of the rare statutes that does impliedly preclude judicial review

Ignore Armstrong II it’s about FRA versus PRA not personal records.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Kihn:

Hillary, Comey and Biden should all be in jail.
View Quote

Absolutely correct!
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:33:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#17]

He said that he declassified everything he took.  Period.  He claimed it and there's no way to prove otherwise.

My wife's birthday party next week is secret.  Did I just reveal classified info?
View Quote

He is on camera showing classified documents and said directly he could have declassied them as President. But didn't.

If this was a black and white or 2+2=4 open and shut case. How come the many federal judges didn't bat it down?

Oh wait... now I know... The federal judges, controlled by the swamp, are out to get Trump! They're colluding in dark corners, plotting to destroy him and crush our democracy!

Says the people arguing the President should be above the law.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Why?  Maybe he thought they looked cool.
View Quote

The man is literally recorded showing operational plans to a journalist, and then saying as president he could have declassified it, but didn’t.

Justify and excuse the behavior however you see fit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#19]
lol arguing that military and intelligence related documents are “personal” is clownshoes retarded.
View Quote

Again, there is no penalty for violating the presidential records act. Trump also declassified boxes of documents before leaving office. Presidents have that authority.

We will likely never know the contents of those documents.  The indictments will most likely go overboard to make the documents look super sensitive. The DOJ is doing its best to keep them all out of discovery without so much as a summary and wants a jury to decide based simply on level of classification.  

No jury should convict based on statements by prosecutors that Trump did bad things with the super secret papers.

I believe what was reported. Trump had the Russia Russia Russia documents he declassified on his way out the door, and the deep state concocted the NARA dispute in order to get them back before Trump could get them to Jim Jordan's oversight committee.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:40:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#20]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#21]

If something is TS/SCI, it could cause exceptionally grave damage to national security if disclosed.  If a president waives his hand to declassify it, does the information automatically become meaningless? No, of course not. If the president declassified humint sources in foreign nations, is that all of a sudden information inconsequential to national security?  Because that’s pretty much the argument you are making. And precisely why I’d imagine the USC uses the specific verbiage it does.
View Quote

But the President is the one who makes that determination, not some unelected bureaucrat.

The President has the absolute  authority to declassify and make public (or not, maybe just store in his secure facility) information that may indeed be harmful to the United States.

He is ultimately the one who decides, because he has ultimate authority over the national security apparatus.

And his decisions aren’t appealable by any body, except that if Congress really hates him, they can impeach.

This is part of our system of checks and balances.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Ok, so we have reduced the conversation to saying “the president can declare nuclear secrets, foreign military capabilities, and military operational plans as personal records, and do with them as he pleases”?
View Quote

That’s exactly what we’re saying. He has that authority as the chief executive.

You may not like, but it’s the fact of the situation.

He’s not responsible to executive agencies in this matter. He’s responsible to the public through voting and congress through impeachment.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#23]

They were declassified.  I know this because he stated that he declassified everything he took.

Justify and excuse Biden’s politically-motivated Lawfare however you see fit.
View Quote

Ah, yes. Donald Trump. The man known for a lifetime of honesty and integrity. A man whose character is above reproach.

Or, is it perhaps he lied when he deemed it expedient to do so, and was actually being a bit more braggadocios with the truth when he thought he was “off the record”?  You don’t have to answer, it’s rhetorical, and ultimately the jury can decide that.

And you can go back and read my second post in this thread. I’m not justifying politically motivated ‘lawfare’. I’m supporting a DOJ upholding the rule of law, which there is mountains of probable cause for them to do so. And I supported Trump back in 2016 when he promised he would do the same to Clinton.  I guess he showed his true feelings on the matter back then.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By FredMan:

That’s exactly what we’re saying. He has that authority as the chief executive.

You may not like, but it’s the fact of the situation.

He’s not responsible to executive agencies in this matter. He’s responsible to the public through voting and congress through impeachment.
View Quote

He wasn’t charged for his actions as chief executive.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Ah, yes. Donald Trump. The man known for a lifetime of honesty and integrity. A man whose character is above reproach.

Or, is it perhaps he lied when he deemed it expedient to do so, and was actually being a bit more braggadocios with the truth when he thought he was "off the record"?  You don't have to answer, it's rhetorical, and ultimately the jury can decide that.

And you can go back and read my second post in this thread. I'm not justifying politically motivated 'lawfare'. I'm supporting a DOJ upholding the rule of law, which there is mountains of probable cause for them to do so. And I supported Trump back in 2016 when he promised he would do the same to Clinton.  I guess he showed his true feelings on the matter back then.
View All Quotes

They were declassified.  I know this because he stated that he declassified everything he took.

Justify and excuse Biden's politically-motivated Lawfare however you see fit.

Or, is it perhaps he lied when he deemed it expedient to do so, and was actually being a bit more braggadocios with the truth when he thought he was "off the record"?  You don't have to answer, it's rhetorical, and ultimately the jury can decide that.

And you can go back and read my second post in this thread. I'm not justifying politically motivated 'lawfare'. I'm supporting a DOJ upholding the rule of law, which there is mountains of probable cause for them to do so. And I supported Trump back in 2016 when he promised he would do the same to Clinton.  I guess he showed his true feelings on the matter back then.

If everything was above board. Trump didn't need to have to have his staff remove the documents before the FBI could seize them for the National Archives. And also trying to find and destroy surveillance footage of them moving the boxes out.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Those of you claiming a President can do whatever they want with classified, however and whenever they want, can I see a citation for that? As in a link to a site whose URL ends in .gov.
Do they have to tell anyone that they’ve declassified the documents or can they just think it? There’s no process, they can just wave a hand and whatever is declassified? Do ex-Presidents have the same powers?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
You're right  you're not justifying politically motivated lawfare.  

You're attempting to justify politically motivated lawfare.

A pretty weak attempt at that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:03:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Low_Country] [#29]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

If everything was above board. Trump didn't need to have to have his staff remove the documents before the FBI could seize them for the National Archives. And also trying to find and destroy surveillance footage of them moving the boxes out.
View Quote

Indeed.

Why even go through the motions of attempting to create the facade of complying with the subpoena if Trump just waved his hand and declassified everything? “I’ll give the government back a little bit, pretend that’s all of it, while directing my lawyers to lie to the FBI and secretly moving and hiding all the rest of it.”
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Kilroytheknifesnob:
Those of you claiming a President can do whatever they want with classified, however and whenever they want, can I see a citation for that? As in a link to a site whose URL ends in .gov.
Do they have to tell anyone that they’ve declassified the documents or can they just think it? There’s no process, they can just wave a hand and whatever is declassified? Do ex-Presidents have the same powers?
View Quote

Its actually the other way around. I'd argue that you need to post a link ending in .gov that details the steps a sitting president must take to declassify a document.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#31]
In this thread Trump people tell us presidents are given a magic wand and can just unclassify shit on a whim?

Military secrets? Whoosh those are mine now guys.

Classified intel on whatever, whoever, wherever. Whoosh. Mine mother fucker.

Those nuke codes? Nah you don’t need those. Go make your own, whoosh!

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

The president is the premier OCA. As such, he pretty much can classify and declassify at will. I don’t think that’s in doubt.

The questions are if he did declassify all the stuff he claimed he did after the fact (despite dozens and dozens of documents still being marked as classified), and if the charges of “willful retention of national defense information” actually means “willful retention of classified information”.  The espionage act was drafted prior to our current classification system, and my understanding is this verbiage has not been legally adjudicated.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By GutWrench:

In this thread Trump people tell us presidents are given a magic wand and can just unclassify shit on a whim?

View Quote

What law details the procedure that a sitting president has to follow to declassify military secrets?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:14:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#34]

Those nuke codes? Nah you don't need those. Go make your own, whoosh!

View Quote

Pretty much.

The Federal Court system disagrees. Nut what do they know?

But then they bring on unimpeachable arguments like it's globohomo, the swamp, shady characters, vampires, deep state and deep secret societies all in collusion!
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Mach:
yet boxes of classified documents found in Biden's garage, been there for a decade and that is ok

there is no such thing as equal application of law anymore

the entire system is corrupt
View Quote

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Trump MIGHT have violated the law, but it's definitely a complicated question because of his status.

Hillary DEFINITELY violated the law.  We know this because the head of the FBI publicly described the multiple felonies that she knowingly committed.

Biden DEFINITELY violated the law, both in keeping classified documents at his house AND in the irresponsible way he stored them.

The fact that Trump is being prosecuted while they are not is grotesque, and every citizen - regardless of political affiliation or like/dislike for any of them - should be not only outraged, but should also be very concerned for the general state of the Rule of Law in the United States.  

That's my opinion.  Worth what you paid for it.  
View Quote

Quoted for emphasis.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#38]

The man is literally recorded showing operational plans to a journalist, and then saying as president he could have declassified it, but didn’t.

View All Quotes

Why?  Maybe he thought they looked cool.

Eh, 95% of classified material isn't classifiable,secret, top secret or anything else that involves the security of the US. It's to hide everything possible from ''the people'' and create a block to finding out facts the government doesn't want ''the people'' to know about or realize how fooked they are getting.

Now let me go have my own secret server set up so I can bypass all the government rules and regulations about keeping documents and info that would land me in prison..........
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Markings become irrelevant on unclassified documents.  

He said he declassified everything he took.

That’s that.
View Quote

Yet, when it’s information any rational adult should agree has no business being declassified, he took no action to mark it as such, and he only claimed everything was declassified after he found himself in hot water over it, lots of people will reach a pretty easy conclusion.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:23:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#40]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

What law details the procedure that a sitting president has to follow to declassify military secrets?
View Quote

Executive Order 13526

At the top it reads:

"This order prescribes a uniform system for classifying, safeguarding, and declassifying national security information, including information relating to defense against transnational terrorism. Our democratic principles require that the American people be informed of the activities of their Government"

Trump never overturned that EO.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Its actually the other way around. I'd argue that you need to post a link ending in .gov that details the steps a sitting president must take to declassify a document.
View Quote

Ok, here https://www.archives.gov/isoo/policy-documents/cnsi-eo.html
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Herein lies the rub, Trump COULD declassify documents, as VP, Biden COULDN'T legally so his crimes were 100% criminal and non negotiable because he was not the President.

If you are not screaming about that, your whining about Trump has it's foundation in sand and water.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#45]

Markings become irrelevant on unclassified documents.  

He said he declassified everything he took.

That’s that.
View Quote

If you are correct, how would everyone else in the government know those documents were now unclassified, and no longer need to be protected as such?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#46]

Executive Order 13526

At the top it reads:

"This order prescribes a uniform system for classifying, safeguarding, and declassifying national security information, including information relating to defense against transnational terrorism. Our democratic principles require that the American people be informed of the activities of their Government"

View All Quotes

Executive Order 13526

At the top it reads:

So every president that has released classified information has been punished for violating an EO? And what is the punishment for a president violating an EO?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

So Obama gave an order to Trump?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Try Navy v. Eagan (1988): "His authority to classify and control access to information bearing on national security ... flows primarily from this constitutional investment of power in the President, and exists quite apart from any explicit congressional grant."
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#50]
lol arguing that military and intelligence related documents are “personal” is clownshoes retarded.
View Quote

All your posts are clown shoes retarded.
Page / 41
Top Top