Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fxntime:

To be honest, it WAS a MKII and it was probably in several pieces because he couldn't how to figure to put it back together.

I have NEVER seen so many grown men having strokes about a pistol and getting it back together. It's not hard at all, it's a bit ''fiddly'' but hard? Oh lord no, you just have to hold it ''just so'' when you slide the hammer spring assy back in. It's easy as hell unless you are so non mechanical that you can't figure out which way a gas cap screws on the fill tube.
View Quote

Hammer has to be down and the spur has to fall into the mainspring housing as you lever it into place.  That's all there is to it.

I wish I lived closer to one of these gun stores so I could offer to buy people's disassembled MkIIs.  I'd have a nice collection going.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By chase45:
Lol why do so many want to kick your ass?
View Quote

Having worked a gun counter for a handful of years myself, there is a subset of gun owners who have deep seated insecurities that they try to cover with bravado & get super triggered by any percieved slight.

You see it daily on arfcom.

Shoot, one of our resident drug warriors is demonstrating it in this very thread.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:40:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#3]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:

[Deleted]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

Hammer has to be down and the spur has to fall into the mainspring housing as you lever it into place.  That's all there is to it.

I wish I lived closer to one of these gun stores so I could offer to buy people's disassembled MkIIs.  I'd have a nice collection going.
View Quote

I've wanted one of those or a Mark 4 for awhile now. They seem to be in short supply in my area. There's one shop that has a Mark 4 for sale but it's got a silly high price tag on it.

At least I think its silly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:

I imagine though you can find plenty of gun stores that were shut down because their Time To Crime on audits kept being short, which is what you get when you sell to people who are blatant about criminal behavior.

I have an app on my phone specifically for translating for my Hispanic customers.

How much jazz cabbage do you smoke a week, sparky?
View Quote

That's fascinating, I had no idea they tracked a metric like that.

They'd have to make an allowance for location, though, right? Is there a standard for like stores? A gun store on the edge of a large metro and a gun store here in rural flyover country would seem to be a serious apples-to-oranges comparison.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BabaYaga22:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/boldstrategy-1.gif
View Quote

This place is so odd to me sometimes it’s mind numbing. People predicted that the white pill dude was also a woman and cross dresser. But they’re fooled by this Jared guys threads. The guy has gone as far as (since I’ve been here) to ‘if I even smell anything I’m denying the sale’. These threads are troll threads and if not, I feel bad for the customer base.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I went into a gun store for my first time 20 years ago.

Old guy behind the counter was super patient. Told him I wanted to buy my first handgun having never shot more than a .22.  He grabbed a Beretta 92, G23, G17 and a P220 from the rental safe and took me back to the range and showed me how to load and fire them and watched as I fumbled my way through each.  A guy a lane over saw me and let me shoot a mag though his 1911. Very cool experience to shoot so many guns for the first time and back to back.

I bought a G17 and left with great impression of the gun community.

Not all LGS efforts are in vain.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#8]
In all my years of working at gunshows for an FFL friend, I’ve never met a bad person. And I learned never to judge a book by its cover. Now there have been some odd ducks, mostly old timers that want to have someone listen to their yarn. But I always politely tell them to hold their story, I’ve got a customer with a question. 50% of the time they will move on looking for another seller to spin the tale. But at the gunshow I sold at, what do you do when lots of buyers are walking around with big 32oz beers that the gunshow sells?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Osprey61:

They'd have to make an allowance for location, though, right? Is there a standard for like stores? A gun store on the edge of a large metro and a gun store here in rural flyover country would seem to be a serious apples-to-oranges comparison.
View Quote

They don’t take into account how someone smells in a TTC calculation, lol.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#10]

This place is so odd to me sometimes it’s mind numbing. People predicted that the white pill dude was also a woman and cross dresser. But they’re fooled by this Jared guys threads. The guy has gone as far as (since I’ve been here) to ‘if I even smell anything I’m denying the sale’. These threads are troll threads and if not, I feel bad for the customer base.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BabaYaga22:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/boldstrategy-1.gif

It’s about self control. I have the self control to not do stupid things, around stupid people, at stupid places. People who do drugs or drink too much too often have no self control. People who lack self control shouldn’t own guns.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:54:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#11]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

I've wanted one of those or a Mark 4 for awhile now. They seem to be in short supply in my area. There's one shop that has a Mark 4 for sale but it's got a silly high price tag on it.

At least I think its silly.
View Quote

Of all the generations of Mk series guns, the IV is the easiest to disassemble.  It's almost like a totally different gun.

I really like the MkIIs but the 22/45 didn't start being truly good until MkIII and it took the MkIV to fix the lawyer crap on the IIIs.  

If I was buying a steel framed gun I wouldn't pass on MkIIs.  I wouldn't buy another MkIII though.  The slot in the side of the receiver and the locking mainspring housing are dumb.

As for the MkIV 22/45 I don't like how the new bolt stop is designed to wear against the plastic frame.  It seems like that is going to be a problem with wear down the line as the round count goes up.  I wouldn't have even noticed this but I installed some VQ parts and it struck me as a real engineering compromise.  It's probably fine in the steel frame versions.

ETA for 22/45s the sweet spot is probably a MkII upper and MSH on a MkIII frame.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:54:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#12]
[Deleted]
View Quote

Smelling like weed is enough cause for suspicion of a crime being committed. Possession, distribution, and use of marijuana is illegal on a federal level, and the federal form you are filling out states explicitly that you cannot both buy a gun and use marijuana. If you don't like that, take it up with the feds. It's not a gun shop owners responsibility nor is it in his interest to support lying on a 4473 or breaking the laws that govern his business. You are intellectually dishonest if you cannot or refuse to see that. Calling someone anti-2a for following the laws as written is flat out stupid. I suggest you buy your guns from a car trunk if you think that following laws is anti-2a.

lol. No.  In November 2023 Mr.Grey literally made a pt whatever of what not to do and this was explicitly stated. This is an ongoing disagreement.
View Quote

If you cannot speak or read English, and cannot fill out a 4473, then that, again, is not on the gun shop owner. He cannot assist you with it. He can clarify to an extent, but he cannot do it for you.

Calling someone anti-2a for following the law as written is so fucking dumb, you should be ashamed for asserting it. Following someone around on this forum,  harassing them every time they post, is not a good (or smart) move. Move on and get off OP's dick. Find something else to do. If you don't like a poster on this forum, ignore them! There's a fuckton of other posts you can go extoll the virtues of smoking weed in.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JellyBelly:
Any hint of violence and a gun sale would not be happening.
View Quote

Wanksta Goes Gun Shopping! Pt 2
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#14]

I can 100% see denying the sale after physically seeing it. But smelling like it IDGAF and it’s on others to prove there was an odor to begin with.
View Quote

A gun counter isn't a court of law. If the person behind the counter thinks you smell like weed, then you probably smell like weed. They want to sell guns, but they don't want to lose their FFL.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:

Screen name?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

I like how the blue shirt dude just grabbed the gun out of his hand. He looks like he's seen it a million times.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Just playing devils advocate, because I hate the smell of weed and think the whole subculture is for losers and burnouts, but isn’t lying on a 4473 an issue for the feds and the purchaser to figure out? Why would a gun store want to insert themselves between those two parties? You aren’t allowed to assist completing the form and you don’t know the accuracy of the information, you are just passing it along to facilitate the purchase.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:20:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#19]
Originally Posted By Brutus_15:
Just playing devils advocate, because I hate the smell of weed and think the whole subculture is for losers and burnouts, but isn’t lying on a 4473 an issue for the feds and the purchaser to figure out? Why would a gun store want to insert themselves between those two parties? You aren’t allowed to assist completing the form and you don’t know the accuracy of the information, you are just passing it along to facilitate the purchase.
View Quote

Because the feds, and the gay ass BATFE, love to play fuck-fuck games and salivate at the chance to put the problem square on your lap, with threats of shutting you down or fining you or jailing you because you made one mistake with their form or their process. If you don't run at least a little demonstrable interference for their circle-jerk, they will pull your license because you won't play their game by their rules.

ETA trust me, a gun store would love to never have to do anything but sell guns. Having to screen your customers is a pain in the ass and puts YOU on the front line for dealing with smooth-brains like the guy in this thread crying about discrim-nation because YOU can't sell a gun to someone who appears to be a prohibited person by the feds. If you ignore the signs, and do make the sale, and something happens, you're fucked. You'll be dragged in to court and raked over the coals for not towing the line. See ADCO for an example.

The ATF has made it abundantly clear that gun stores are to screen their customers. The first thing they do when a crime is committed by a prohibited person with a gun is pull the serial and find out where the person got the gun, then audit the shop. If they have even a smidge of suspicion about the sale, off to court you go.

Like it or not, this is the reality for dealers and they have to play by the rules.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

The ATF can/will and has yanked FFLs for transfer to a person under the influence.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Vague:
I imagine entertainment of watching this stuff happen is why old dudes like to hang out in gun shops.
View Quote

Old dudes generally like to hang out in gun shops so they can tell random people stories they don't want to hear.

"Oh, looking at a 1911 huh?  I carried one just like that in the service.  Were you in the service?  I was a sniper on submarines.  The CO came to me one day saying they needed our best shooter because a shark had gotten one of our boys.  I set up on the tower and spotted that sucker about 8 miles out.  All we had was iron sights back then but I could make do, if you know what I mean *wink*.  Anyhow, that shark didn't bother nobody again after that day." *story continues until his victim leaves, resumes when another unsuspecting soul gets within earshot*
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know why anyone would want to work at a gun store.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#25]

I can 100% see denying the sale after physically seeing it. But smelling like it IDGAF and it’s on others to prove there was an odor to begin with.
View Quote

Weed smokers are just like cigarette smokers, they are all nose blind to how bad they stink
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#26]
OP is in Wisconsin. I thought everyone was drunk up there in the winter.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:00:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BoRdErBaCoN] [#27]
Originally Posted By Striker:
the tears were because you dropped your taco bell guts standing beside me..
View Quote

I'm going to eat every Chicken Chip and McCain's cake in your province!

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Something tells me that there is a poster in this thread that has been denied a firearm purchase because they smelled like weed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:58:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#30]

[Deleted]
View All Quotes

OK bud.

You open up a gun store and see how long you stay in business selling to prohibited persons, especially those in or on the edges of criminal activity. You can be a good example for me.

[Deleted]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By diesel1:
Making the rounds of gun shops just to observe could be a new form of entertainment for a retired guy. Not much going on at the boat launch yet.
View Quote

Welcome to my world
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#32]
[Deleted]
View Quote

22'ers..........

Making 13'ers look intelligent even 9 years later....
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By bullsi191145:
I will admit I have crop dusted a gunstore before, but in my defense… it was hilarious
View Quote

... hasn't everyone?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow, this thread got a lot of account warnings....
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#36]

2 and 3 were the same person. Customer threatened a coworker he was hilariously unprepared to take on, coworker wanted to take a swing at the little twit. Customer went around the store telling everyone he was going to beat up coworker. Everyone else knew he was talking out of an orifice not usually reserved for communication.
View Quote

That’s not the important part. The comment was based on your observation of their behavior and lack of insight that you are engaging in the same behavior you are upset about.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I will admit I have crop dusted a gunstore before, but in my defense… it was hilarious
View Quote

Crop dusted a little kid and his mom at the grocery store once. Little kid was being a heathen running around throwing stuff in people's carts. Taking stuff out of people's carts a d throwing it at them then running off to find "Mommmmm"
Found little sbit stain and mom in and aisle by themselves. Let a silent but really deadly and walked off. They walked right into it. Kid made a scrunched up face then started crying like he'll. It was hilarious. Even more so when the mom started making choking noises.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By va_gunz:

Not CE tactical was it? They are usually squared away
View Quote

Likely not. This place was off Tyre Neck (maybe it was Portsmouth not Suffolk). Anyway, it burnt up around, I wanna say '05ish.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

I did it to a tool aisle in sears. That poor couple coming around the corner as I beat feet out the other end never knew what hit them.

It, too, was hilarious. I could hear them gagging three aisles away. Then I decided it was time to leave.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

I got a mkII for $50.00 once.

Guy took it completely apart, down to the last pin, then couldn’t figure out how to reassemble it, sold me a box of loose parts. I used the exploded gun diagram in the manual to reassemble it a few days later, every part was there, and after 4 hours of swearing I was outside plinking away.

Yup. Easy. Trick is to hold it upside down so the locking lever / lock hook falls into the right spot. ( been 15 years since I touched one, but that’s how I remember it )  wasn’t hard though, just had to get it just right.
View Quote

There is a video on YT of a little girl, probably around 6 years old, stripping and reassembling a Mark II.
Obviously the video was done by her dad to let everyone know that if a little girl can do it, you are the problem.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#41]
I think I would rather be a janitor, why would anyone want to work at a gun counter.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By SeanTX:

There is a video on YT of a little girl, probably around 6 years old, stripping and reassembling a Mark II.
Obviously the video was done by her dad to let everyone know that if a little girl can do it, you are the problem.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SeanTX:
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

I got a mkII for $50.00 once.

Guy took it completely apart, down to the last pin, then couldn’t figure out how to reassemble it, sold me a box of loose parts. I used the exploded gun diagram in the manual to reassemble it a few days later, every part was there, and after 4 hours of swearing I was outside plinking away.

Yup. Easy. Trick is to hold it upside down so the locking lever / lock hook falls into the right spot. ( been 15 years since I touched one, but that’s how I remember it )  wasn’t hard though, just had to get it just right.

I demand that video be taken down and replaced with the scene from Rocky II where he feels like he can't go on but somehow digs deeper in his heart and eventually comes out the winner.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flathead9] [#43]
You don't work at fletcher do you? Because I have never seen more INSANE SHIT at a gun shop than that place. I don't even go there anymore because of all the "I be needin' a glock fo-tay" gang bangers and the cloud of weed smoke they bring in with them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Southernman077:
OP is in Wisconsin. I thought everyone was drunk up there in the winter.
View Quote

That's a fair point. I would argue a good chunk of the Milwaukee metropolitan area isn't actually Wisconsin. Same as Dane county, shithole puts a stain on the whole state.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Do you get paid every time you post the phrase 'jazz cabbage', like the Carl's Jr. guy on Idiocracy? Give it a rest, dude.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

It's genuinely confusing how far some places / folks will go to build up a situation in their own mind to justify denying a sale. Like they enjoy not serving customers or live in a constant state of paranoia that the ATF has the manpower to setup these elaborate stings.

I once asked a staff member of mine years ago what was up with the early 20's girl he spent 30 minutes showing various handguns to that just took off rather quickly.

He went on to explain that he got a bad feeling about her because as he was "asking why she wanted to buy the gun", he felt the girl kept "beating around the bush" and was "dropping hints he didn't like" by saying stuff like she'd "had some problems with an person".

Girl came back a few days later- with a copy of her restraining order against an ex who'd broken into her apartment, just to prove a point.

Her attempt at being modest and being uncomfortable about discussing the reasoning to a salesperson why she wanted to buy a gun was enough to make this counter jockey with years of experience think she was the next Virginia Tech shooter or something.

TLDR, buy your guns off the internet and find a cool kitchen table FFL.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#47]

• Don't ask us to place and position a holster inside your pants while you hold up your greasy heaviness out of the way. I don't get paid enough.

View Quote
Lost it on that one!

I've subscribed to your channel and expect more stories soon!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#48]
My local gun store and range has a sign by the door that says  If you come in here and smell like weed you'll be asked to leave    I would never have thought it was that prevaliant  but it must be
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By pestilence12:

Because the feds, and the gay ass BATFE, love to play fuck-fuck games and salivate at the chance to put the problem square on your lap, with threats of shutting you down or fining you or jailing you because you made one mistake with their form or their process. If you don't run at least a little demonstrable interference for their circle-jerk, they will pull your license because you won't play their game by their rules.

ETA trust me, a gun store would love to never have to do anything but sell guns. Having to screen your customers is a pain in the ass and puts YOU on the front line for dealing with smooth-brains like the guy in this thread crying about discrim-nation because YOU can't sell a gun to someone who appears to be a prohibited person by the feds. If you ignore the signs, and do make the sale, and something happens, you're fucked. You'll be dragged in to court and raked over the coals for not towing the line. See ADCO for an example.

The ATF has made it abundantly clear that gun stores are to screen their customers. The first thing they do when a crime is committed by a prohibited person with a gun is pull the serial and find out where the person got the gun, then audit the shop. If they have even a smidge of suspicion about the sale, off to court you go.

Like it or not, this is the reality for dealers and they have to play by the rules.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pestilence12:

For folks wondering;

Check out the “ADCO being unlawfully sued” thread.

Check out the threads about FFLs having their licenses revoked for the slightest mistakes in paperwork.

Hertz may not be LE, but it’s in their interests to refuse to rent a vehicle to someone stinking of liquor.

Likewise, an FFL isn’t going to risk some ATF agent claiming they knowingly sold a firearm to a prohibited person (because use of federally illegal narcotics automatically makes someone a prohibited person), that they automatically should have known, because everyone around could smell the marijuana stench the moment said person entered the store.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Osprey61:

View Quote

Back from my shift in the gun mines.

Time to crime is one metric used to determine if a gun store is closed down, but from what I’ve heard from the polesmokers at the ATFE, it’s one of the most important. Basically, if you’re selling guns and they’re immediately showing up in crimes, you’re not doing a good job of vetting your customers.

Which, shouldn’t be your responsibility as long as their background check is coming back Proceed/Approved, but it is.

On the audits my store gets, the Time To Crime is usually between 3-10 years.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top