Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By mark9000:
A friend of mine has a female who had a litter about 8 weeks ago. The puppies are cute as hell and look like stuffed animals. I was offered one or two up to me.

Never had one and I understand they can be quite the handful and require lots of exercise.

Anyone had one?
View Quote

Haven't had one but a friend of my way back bred them.  They are VERY independent.  They are noisy.  They have their own opinion and will tell you all about it.  They won't hesitate to tell you to fark off.  They are a strong working breed of dog that can handle really cold temps and weather.  They are masters at getting into trouble.  They pack bond with other dogs most of the time VERY well.  They like to explore (run away).  They are drama queens.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I have never had one, but have known people who did. They are probably smarter than you, and will spend every day trying to prove it. From what I have seen either they love you and will listen and behave or they wont and will try to escape every day.

Best story was a friend who had a hybrid and lived in a town house. He would open the doors at each end of the house and grab a leaf blower and start at one end and just blow all the hair thru the house until he reached the other door. He did this every 2 days, depending on which way the wind was blowing decided which end to start at.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mazawakhan:
I hope you like chasing your dog around your neighborhood, the adjoining neighborhood and the neighborhood that adjoins that one. I had one thirty years ago and while they are beautiful dogs I will never own one again.
View Quote
This was my exact experience with my neighbors husky. Dog constantly got out and I constantly chased behind it because I was the one who always around.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By gillplate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4juN88nzuB4
View Quote

Damn, that brings back some memories.  My dad had an AKC registered Siberian husky that he studded out.  The husky (Pismo) was the offspring of some award winning dog, and apparently, dad got paid a lot of money to have female husky’s come and stay at our place and get knocked up.  

Pismo was an outside dog.  We lived in the middle of 200 acres of woods, and we would still get dog sighting reports from neighbors well over a mile away- “we saw Pismo running through the back pasture yesterday!”

Pretty much every husky was incredibly vocal, and they would talk to you, the other dogs, and howl just for the hell of it.  I have witnesses that Pismo one time said “Hi, bullsi!” When I walked into a room.  Freaked us all out

All the birds nests in the area were made of 87% husky fur.  There was noticeable shedded fur outside, in the woods, frigging everywhere.

That husky in the agility video looked exactly like Pismo.  Hell, it could be one of his descendants.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:29:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9mmmac] [#5]
Stubborn, won't like to be inside.  Super smart, but only for the things THEY want to do.  In all honesty, a GSD or Lab is a better dog, even a Mal is kinda better in terms of "whatdoesmyhumanwantodotodaycanI runsomwhereandjumpsomewhereandarewegoingforaridebutIdontcareletsjustdosomethingtodayrightnowplease"

Husky says"Rawwwwwwooooo! I think I can open the gate latch with my nose and I'm outta here."
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:40:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ranging-by-zipcode] [#7]
I have never had a leash on him when in the woods and recall is about  100% but he does the look around first then runs to me .

It's a challenging breed for a first time dog owner . Mine is aloof with people and is not the typical husky personality and a good watch dog at home. He will bite someone
entering his back yard space . Or bark at anyone walking up my drive way .

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#8]
A friend of mine has a female who had a litter about 8 weeks ago. The puppies are cute as hell and look like stuffed animals. I was offered one or two up to me.

Never had one and I understand they can be quite the handful and require lots of exercise.

Anyone had one?
View Quote

do you love dog hair everywhere?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:05:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fulcrum-5] [#9]
When you try to make a Husky do anything it doesn't want to do.....the resulting screams will make your neighbors will think you slaughter Huskies for a living.

Horror-movie screaming. At 0300hrs. In the car. When you don't want to go walkies.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:09:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ranging-by-zipcode] [#10]

Anyone had one?
View Quote

I think the best thing is for us to ask you questions

Edit just read you answed about location and home owner

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine doesn't do the howling, very little.
We were 3rd owners when we got him at 9 months old.

1st owners we were told were group of younger 20s guys in an apartment and I'm sure stepped on him, hit/smacked him for noises
2nd owners were family but once the wife got job remote they had to get rid of him

Been 2 years since we got him and he has settled down from being a maniac to an overly energetic dog. Still barks alot rather than howls

Him looking like a dingleberry

Attachment Attached File

Him watching over his "girl" on the stairs while I work in basement

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:
When you try to make a Husky do anything it doesn't want to do.....the resulting screams will make your neighbors will think you slaughter Huskies for a living.

Horror-movie screaming. At 0300hrs. In the car. When you don't want to go walkies.

View Quote

My neighbor has  5 Great Pyrenees that walk my property  on occasion .

When I'm washing him outside I know if they are in earshot they will visit . He howls like he's being murdered  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#14]
No thanks. I have a flat-coated retriever, the fur from her is bad enough and some of it is 6" long!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By alacop:
Not that loyal of a dog. Howl alot.
View Quote

Ain't that the truth.  Asshole neighbor had 2 of them, mini-huskies I guess, and would let them bastards out at 5am to pee, etc, and wouldn't let them back in for an hour or two.  Constant howling to be let in.  Naturally my bedroom is close by so it interferes with my sleep.

Talking to the owner is useless because he's one of those 30-year old snobby assholes who won't even talk to anyone, stereotypical snob prick, as is his wife too.  Complete waste of time trying to talk to them.  Naturally the township has no noise ordnances so there isn't shit they can do about it.

I love dogs, but I was actually relieved when one of the dogs died for some reason (only knew that because there was a reduction in the morning noise and a grief counselor's vehicle was in the driveway).
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I had one that was part wolf.... too much wolf.   He was uncontrollable; smart, friendly, playful, loving, good greeter and loyal but wild.   He liked to spend a few hours in the evening inside, but demanded to go outside at night.  Had him on a lead; he either tore it up or hurt himself tying to get off it.   Nice Dog house?   LOL, he like to sleep near it...  One morning I come out, there is ~18" of snow, I see the dog house is empty, then he just pops up, happy as a clam at high tide; been sleeping under the snow all evening by choice.

But, he was just too wild, around the 2nd year he would take off longer and longer; came back one night with a deer leg in his mouth!  We lived on the edge of the country; I'm pretty sure he was messing with the livestock down the road from us.   One day he just never came home and I never found him, looked everywhere...  I'm pretty sure either a nearby farmer shot him or he got hit by a car but I like to think he fully wolfed out and joined a pack to live out the rest of his days in the wild.  RIP "Beouwulf"
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#17]
We went over and played with the pups last night. Even being 8 weeks old they were already howling and making noise. They are hysterical to watch and not just normal puppy funny. They have character and are feisty. I mentioned this thread to the owner and she said everything you guys said is true.

I am in NJ and have an acre thats fenced in. We are high energy people and walk a few miles every day so the exercise part would not bother us. I watched a lot of videos before I went to bed, they are definitely different.
View Quote

I used to have a Husky. Previous house had 1 acre all fenced in as well.  She found ways out.  

Everything everyone said is true.  They are very smart and very stubborn.  When she was a puppy, we took her to group training.  One class she did the trick once and then laid on the floor for the rest of the hour.  

One time I yelled at her for something, prob laying on the couch, she stood in front of me, stared at me and squatted and pissed.  

They are very fast and jump very high.  She liked going to car rides.  I was fixing a truck.  She jumped into the open drivers window to sit in the truck.  

She would play with squirrels, rabbits etc.  One time she went out at around 3am.  There was a possum out there.  She had it backed against the fence.  She kept running by it, barking and getting it to his at her.  i got her back in.  She keep wanting to go outside at around 3am for the next week or two.  

Saying all that, she was prob my favorite dog that I have ever had
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 40_and_invisible:
I had one that was part wolf.... too much wolf.   He was uncontrollable; smart, friendly, playful, loving, good greeter and loyal but wild.   He liked to spend a few hours in the evening inside, but demanded to go outside at night.  Had him on a lead; he either tore it up or hurt himself tying to get off it.   Nice Dog house?   LOL, he like to sleep near it...  One morning I come out, there is ~18" of snow, I see the dog house is empty, then he just pops up, happy as a clam at high tide; been sleeping under the snow all evening by choice.

But, he was just too wild, around the 2nd year he would take off longer and longer; came back one night with a deer leg in his mouth!  We lived on the edge of the country; I'm pretty sure he was messing with the livestock down the road from us.   One day he just never came home and I never found him, looked everywhere...  I'm pretty sure either a nearby farmer shot him or he got hit by a car but I like to think he fully wolfed out and joined a pack to live out the rest of his days in the wild.  RIP "Beouwulf"
View Quote

That's a bad mix and people that breed
wolves with dogs   in my opinion are idiots .
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ranging-by-zipcode:

That's a bad mix and people that breed
wolves with dogs   in my opinion are idiots .
View Quote

I was young and single; a guy I worked with lived with his parents way out in the country, they had a few huskies as pure outside dogs.   He had told me there were wolves on the mountain next to their property, one came down and mated with their female husky and they ended up stuck with a litter of these half breed pups...  They were going to be killed so I tried to rescue at least one.  Didn't really work out, but I tried and we had a good year together.  (Agreed, their outside dog should have been fixed).
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#20]
pounds around here are full of pitbulls, huskys and chihuahua type dogs.
The pitbulls tend to be assholes or abandoned by assholes.
the huskys tend to run away and are assholes.
the chihuahuas are also assholes.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 40_and_invisible:

I was young and single; a guy I worked with lived with his parents way out in the country, they had a few huskies as pure outside dogs.   He had told me there were wolves on the mountain next to their property, one came down and mated with their female husky and they ended up stuck with a litter of these half breed pups...  They were going to be killed so I tried to rescue at least one.  Didn't really work out, but I tried and we had a good year together.  (Agreed, their outside dog should have been fixed).
View Quote

You took it wrong I wasn't blaming you for taking him in .

The people who purposely breed them and sell litters to people who
have no idea what they are getting into and then have them put down or they end up in shelters euthanized because they are too wild and won't do well in a home .

I love wolves but they belong in the wild
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#22]

When I'm washing him outside I know if they are in earshot they will visit . He howls like he's being murdered  
View Quote

My big male gsd bowls like he is being abused when you wash him. I took him to tractor supply to use their dog wash after he rolled in the mud. I am pretty sure every emoyee stopped to see what was happening
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:17:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:
If you love something, let it go

If it doesnt come back, it was a husky

I had one and will never in my life own another one.
You really have to love the dog i think.
The woooing too
They talk a lot
View Quote
This and this.

Nick
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Huskies need to be in a pack. They are escape artists.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#25]
They need 3~4 times more exercise than other dogs. That's many hours per day.
If you can't provide that, it's not for you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
Cute lap dogs with minimum impact on lifestyle or cleaning
View Quote

Nick
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:17:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthGuy] [#27]
The best dogs we’ve ever had. Funny, annoying, loud, stubborn, and smart. Very affectionate sometimes. Very “fuck off” other times. Very predatory. More so than any other dogs we’ve had. The backyard is no man’s land now for other animals. Watching both of them absolutely destroy a very large mean racoon in the middle of the night was nuts. They get along fine with our cats though.

It’s shedding season starting now.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
The best dogs we’ve ever had. Funny, annoying, loud, stubborn, and smart. Very affectionate sometimes. Very “fuck off” other times. Very predatory. More so than any other dogs we’ve had. The backyard is no man’s land now for other animals. Watching both of them absolutely destroy a very large mean racoon in the middle of the night was nuts. They get along fine with our cats though.

https://i.imgur.com/atyhCgd.jpg
View Quote

Good looking pups
They both have heterochromia?

Amazing
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:42:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ryandushku] [#29]
As a kid we got some registeted Siberian Husky from some guy who had to get rid of it. That dog ran away any opportunity it got. We'd keep a 40 ft lead line on him to take him out but obviously that was a pain. Eventually my dad ended up putting an extra electric ribbon on the bottom of the horse pasture and it lived out in the pasture with my sisters horse, they got along weirdly well. The dog could roam over a couple acres and chase cars along the fence all day at least, we felt it was a pretty good life for him actually. We were sort of known for it in the area for many years, the place on the corner with a white horse and Husky in the pasture. Eventually the horse died and we ended up giving the dog to a guy who ran a sled dog team where he lived out the rest of his life as far as I know.

Bottom line: I would never get a husky lol

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I've had two. I loved them and they were great buddies for 90% of situations. The situations where they suck is when they get out and run, and run, and run, and then get hit by a car and require $1200 in medical bills. He also bit the shit out of me after getting hit because he was freaked out and was trying to run again. I can say that while my dog was being treated, the vets treated my bite and puncture wounds and cleaned them out. The second one was a long term babysitting job. He was trained with an invisible fence and was just a fun as heck dog.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:

https://i.imgur.com/atyhCgd.jpg
View Quote

Those Eyes
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:12:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Czechers] [#32]
Alaskan Malamutes are far more well mannered. There's a cat and two other dogs in the waiting room in this pic. He doesn't GAF.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:

I had to have a "discussion" with a husky in a Motel 6.  Basically "this is my bed, you sleep on the floor, you stupid bitch".  

I was 100% sure the cops were going to knock on the door any minute.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Sister in law has one. He is awesome, but too much for me. I am used to my Golden. I would describe them as "high energy, furry little ninjas, who like to yell".

1. They are always ready for exercise, doesn't matter if you are, or aren't...

2. They can open doors and gates, and some can even pick high security locks.

3. Shedding season lasts about 11.5 months. If you brush them once a week, you can make a new dog from what comes out.

4. They are vocal. if you say "NO", you will probably get an argument. If you say "yes", they will probably howl their thanks. If you are trying to take a nap, see rule #1 and understand why they are yelling at you. If there is nothing else going on, they will sing for you so everyone can hear their majestic singing voice.

5. They know where home is, but rarely choose to come back to it when they get out (and they will get out, see rule #2).

6. Very stubborn and can be hard to train, not for the first time dog owner.

7. Will become destructive if left alone for long periods of time.

But aside from that, they are very family friendly and love kids. If properly raised and trained they can be a child's best buddy.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top