Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:18:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StephenNW] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

I mean if it lets him work a half hour, his wage may make up for the money he spends versus taking a break.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StephenNW:

Wait, wait…

Did you just say you actually pay to have food delivered to you from a restaurant that’s 600 feet away from your house???

Wow. That is…just stunning.

I mean if it lets him work a half hour, his wage may make up for the money he spends versus taking a break.

If it lets him work an extra half hour he’s the world’s slowest walker. I’m pretty sure I could walk 600 feet in about 2 or 3 minutes?

Likewise, most people who work from home are salaried. They get paid the same either way. At least, I don’t know anyone who works from home who clocks out to eat lunch. Even our non-exempt (hourly) employees who worked from home during Covid didn’t have to clock out for lunch.

Aside from that, everyone I know who rationalizes “all the time I’m saving” like to pretend they’re actually doing something productive with that time. I’m sure that’s occasionally true. I’m equally sure it’s often not true and they’re just too lazy to go pick it up themselves. That’s fine…but in that case just admit it and don’t pretend like you’ve made a calculated and deliberate economic rationale.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never used a service like this, and never will.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:26:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Apec] [#3]

Wait, wait…

Did you just say you actually pay to have food delivered to you from a restaurant that’s 600 feet away from your house???

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
Originally Posted By Voland:
Meh, I use door dash fairly often.

With Dash Pass ($100 a year), I don't pay the delivery fee and the fees going to Dash Pass are also reduced. That adds up.

Say I want Poke for lunch... I could take the 20 minutes to walk the couple blocks, order the food and wait for it, and walk back. Or pay the extra $3.15 in fees and a couple dollars in tip.

So it costs me $5 extra to use DD... but I am able to work an extra 20-30 minutes. Assume I make more than $10-$15 dollars an hour.

So... it's worth it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/Screenshot_20240328_124459_DoorDash-3171807.jpg

for a $2 tip, they will spit in your food...

I tip appropriately for distance and price. The poke place is 600 feet from my house. Anyway, just using that as an example.  I always do at least the default 15%. Saying "a couple bucks" is an expression.

Wait, wait…

In all fairness if you saw what driving in Northern Virginia was like, you’d probably want to be paid $20 to make that trip.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#4]

If it lets him work an extra half hour he’s the world’s slowest walker. I’m pretty sure I could walk 600 feet in about 2 or 3 minutes?

Aside from that, everyone I know who rationalizes “all the time I’m saving” like to pretend they’re actually doing something productive with that time. I’m sure that’s occasionally true. I’m equally sure it’s often not true and they’re just too lazy to go pick it up themselves.
View Quote

I don’t know, I’m a poor so even the thought of using uber eats makes my bank account cry.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Apec:

In all fairness if you saw what driving in Northern Virginia was like, you’d probably want to be paid $20 to make that trip.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Apec:
Originally Posted By Voland:
Meh, I use door dash fairly often.

With Dash Pass ($100 a year), I don't pay the delivery fee and the fees going to Dash Pass are also reduced. That adds up.

Say I want Poke for lunch... I could take the 20 minutes to walk the couple blocks, order the food and wait for it, and walk back. Or pay the extra $3.15 in fees and a couple dollars in tip.

So it costs me $5 extra to use DD... but I am able to work an extra 20-30 minutes. Assume I make more than $10-$15 dollars an hour.

So... it's worth it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/Screenshot_20240328_124459_DoorDash-3171807.jpg

for a $2 tip, they will spit in your food...

I tip appropriately for distance and price. The poke place is 600 feet from my house. Anyway, just using that as an example.  I always do at least the default 15%. Saying "a couple bucks" is an expression.

Wait, wait…

Except that poster explicitly said he tips “a couple bucks”.

Also, if you’re driving to go to a restaurant 600 feet away from your house…something has gone terribly wrong.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#6]

I don’t know, I’m a poor so even the thought of using uber eats makes my bank account cry.
View All Quotes

Aside from that, everyone I know who rationalizes “all the time I’m saving” like to pretend they’re actually doing something productive with that time. I’m sure that’s occasionally true. I’m equally sure it’s often not true and they’re just too lazy to go pick it up themselves.

I’m not a poor and I would never use Uber Eats.

Probably just one of the reasons I’m not a poor.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never used it and I never will. I have only had pizzas delivered a few times in the past and not since they started adding on a surcharge. I'll get in my truck and pick up my shit myself.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By fttam:

My kid was home from college this holiday. He’d sit in the liquor store parking lot so he could snag every Door Dash for alcohol that came in.

Kick ass tips.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fttam:
Originally Posted By PR361:
My college student son makes his spending money driving for uber eats. Pretty good gig for him.

My kid was home from college this holiday. He’d sit in the liquor store parking lot so he could snag every Door Dash for alcohol that came in.

Kick ass tips.

Legitimate question as I've got a much younger sibling that's been talking about it.

Had I not just shopped insurance I'd never have wondered, but almost every one of them asked if I was using, or sometimes used any of the vehicles on my policy for food delivery or ridesharing.

Is that not a concern if your kid hits somebody while toting a bag of Wendy's or a couple six packs?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:52:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RealityCheck0311] [#9]
Uber, Lyft, Doordash, they were all excellent in the beginning.

You could catch an Uber across town for less than half of a taxi ride. And the cars were clean, prompt, etc..

Same with meal delivery services. Your order could come out to $20, pay a $5 delivery fee and another $5 for a tip and that's it.

Plus the menu prices were the same in store and on the app.

Now? Everything is ridiculously expensive. The menu prices are significantly higher than in person, then you have delivery fees, then state fees, then tips, etc..

The other day I wanted a couple of Egg McMuffins, hashbrows, and an orange juice. It was going to cost me $45 with the tip!

All of these start up companies are awesome in the beginning. Then they go public, have to answer to shareholders, and the prices skyrocket.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:

I'd rather drive to Wendy's buy the same stuff for probably $16 out the door and throw the Uber credit away.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Joe_Pennsy:
In before the Kool Kids mock you for not pissing money away.

I'd rather drive to Wendy's buy the same stuff for probably $16 out the door and throw the Uber credit away.

I'd rather spend $75 on food components to make food prep to last 5 days for lunch and dinner for 2.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:

I can tell you where part of this price hike comes from too.  It's not even JUST the delivery fees and service fees and then tip on top of all that.  It's the price of the product.  At least with instacart I have proven it out.  I knew for a fact that some meat I wanted did NOT cost what it said it cost on the site were you select the products for delivery.  So I took a screenshot and then immediately drove my ass to the same store I was getting the service from to look at the sticker in person.  It was in fact....cheaper in person.  They were/are price hiking the actual cost of the product, above and beyond all the fees.
View Quote

So at no point during your intense investigation did you see the disclaimer that says "prices higher than in store prices" within the app, and then when you select your store..........
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By sq40:
I cant even get pizza delivered where I live.  

City problems.
View Quote
Someone was astonished that I used to have to drive 30 miles to the nearest gas station, but then I clarified that only applied during business hours. If it was the weekend or after hours, it was much further. You could see their brain stop working for a minute.

Living with zero convenience for a bit would probably be beneficial for a lot of people.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Bringing a ham and cheese sandwich from home is too "poorish" for modern Americans I suppose.  We're spending ourselves into poverty, and very likely peasantry.  All by design...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:40:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FourLoko] [#14]
I'm a lazy bastard with money to waste on food and delivery. That means I have time to drive to the restaurant to obtain the garbage myself.

The fact that entire YouTube channels are dedicated to delivering food says a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/@LondonEats
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#15]
But those poor millenials (or whoever the fuck they are) can't get by on their slave wages!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:

So if you go to a restaurant, and buy $50 worth of dinner and have a half-off coupon, you'd only tip on the money you actually paid? That's fucking cheap. The wait staff delivered you a meal worth $50, so you tip on the $50 it would have cost you without a coupon. Jesus, some people.
View Quote

Did you actually read what you just wrote? You really expect someone to tip on taxes and service charges?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JVD:
An 18% tip is $3.44.
People are tipping fees and tax?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/175941/derpzoom-680280.gif
View Quote

Exactly-I'm not tipping on their BS fees. Next they'll add a 4% fee for using a card and expect a tip on that amount.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I use Uber eats. I get a $15 credit from American Express every month for using it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 170Driver:
There was a thread on here a year or so back about someone who spent $25,000 in one year on Door Dash.

ETA: found it.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Spent-25k-on-DoorDash-last-year-how-do-poors-survive-/5-2665752/
View Quote

We have a hoggish fellow in our department whose wife surprizes him evey day of the work week with Door Dash. I happened to get a look of one two bag delivery one day a few months back. The total on the receipt was $94+change.

Unreal.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#20]
$19 at Wendy’s?! Wtf you ordering?!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I live way out in the boonies, haven’t had food delivered in over 25 years.

Used to get pizza delivered on very rare occasions back in the day.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Lazy millennial here who knows how to work the system.

I tried your order. I have Uber+ that’s costs me $0 via my capital one card.

Attachment Attached File

Let’s add 2 JBC and another fry. 40% off promo kicks in.

Attachment Attached File

$20.59 before tip and I have enough food for 2 people now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By D_J:

$21.73 w/out promo and with 20% tip.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174335/IMG_9793-3172397.png
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:
Lazy millennial here who knows how to work the system.

I tried your order. I have Uber+ that’s costs me $0 via my capital one card.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/200878/IMG_3812_jpeg-3172380.JPG

Let’s add 2 JBC and another fry. 40% off promo kicks in.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/200878/IMG_3813_jpeg-3172381.JPG

$20.59 before tip and I have enough food for 2 people now.

$21.73 w/out promo and with 20% tip.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174335/IMG_9793-3172397.png

I did a baconator meal to try and match the original $19.  4 JBC doesn’t sound too bad about now. Reminds me of college nights.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm just glad my EBT benefits cover bottled water.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#27]

I like my Thai spicy, just not my rice.
View Quote
 I love Thia and Indian soup.  The next day or two can be rough.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Rodent:
If you are poor in modern America, it's probably because you have a long history of making bad financial decisions. No racism or privilege involved.
View Quote

Yeah because everybody is exactly the same age and with the same circumstances.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#29]
We have takeout night at our house. Mostly, I use drive thru's or counter service depending on the place. Only place I did delivery was this one pizza place. Semi-national chain, they had their own drivers. Prompt delivery while the pie was still hot. What's not to like? Then their quality started to slip, then they went to OoberEats or whatever. Biggest complaint was slow. Hour and a half? LOL. Yeah. I found a "new" pizza place. Five miles round drip. Worth it. All them add-on fees? Not worth it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I have $25 on Uber Eats to spend. So I tried to order $19 worth of Wendy's. Total price is $43 if you do the recommended 18% tip for the driver. What would cost $20.50 at pickup is $43 delivered.

I know people who order using this multiple times a week and complain they have no money.

Here is what they charge. Mind you the taxes in this area are only $1.51, so they even inflate that. The food prices are also about 15% more than instore pricing.

https://i.imgur.com/50A2NWn.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/mWEjLjz.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/5uMveXV.jpeg
View Quote
There are credit cards that include free Uber eats or free door dash delivery fees.  We have one that is free door dash so we use it from time to time. But I agree paying the delivery fees is a dumb move if you're broke.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
$8.83 is a po white trash tip.
I tip $10 to $20 depending on the traffic and how quick the food is delivered.
View Quote
I would agree with you, having been a delivery driver in the 90s, except that the door dash and Uber drivers around here pick up way too many orders and I usually end up waiting and waiting and waiting.  If I'm lucky I'm on the head of the list of deliveries, if not it's cold food for me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I have $25 on Uber Eats to spend. So I tried to order $19 worth of Wendy's. Total price is $43 if you do the recommended 18% tip for the driver. What would cost $20.50 at pickup is $43 delivered.

I know people who order using this multiple times a week and complain they have no money.

Here is what they charge. Mind you the taxes in this area are only $1.51, so they even inflate that. The food prices are also about 15% more than instore pricing.

https://i.imgur.com/50A2NWn.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/mWEjLjz.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/5uMveXV.jpeg
View Quote

Wow tax on fast food here in MO is 4.43% or
.85 cents for your $19.09.
Seems to.mw that company is grifting
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#33]
That is stupid enough to actually anger me. Why the fuck would they base the tip on a 49.xx when.. the fucking bill is not 49.09.

Seriously, wtf is wrong with people?

"Your bill is $128.95. based on a $3,000,000 arbitrary fucking hypothetical bill that you aren't being charged, your recommended tip is $98,000."

Fucking vermin.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I just noticed they are lying on the tip too. Wendy's has buy one get one free, so they are doing 18% ontop of $49 instead of $34.

Their entire business model is fooling dumb people.
View Quote
I always base my tip off of what the meal would cost not what I paid for it.   If I get a coupon I'm not going to tip based on the discounted price.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Only time I use that shit is when I'm traveling for work and I'd rather stay connected to the laptop in my room than fumble around the local area hoping I find something worth a shit.

The only time it's of use to me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By CanaryCamaro:
My next door neighbors do this every fucking night. I swear no one knows how to cook in the house.

They’re also renters who spend about $4k a month just in rent alone. They’re good people, both retired Air Force so I guess they have money to burn.
View Quote

Very healthy too, I bet.....
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:14:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: neshomamench] [#37]
View Quote

It aint pissing it away if it gives me what I want and it is an amount of money I dont even have to think about.

....Most people have more problems than money.  

....A few people have more money than problems.

They both still have problems.....but....
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:20:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoinDatePostCount] [#38]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
Bringing a ham and cheese sandwich from home is too "poorish" for modern Americans I suppose.  We're spending ourselves into poverty, and very likely peasantry.  All by design...
View Quote

Yeah I don’t get it.  My total food expenditure today was under $20.  I also can’t imagine how fat and medicated most of the people in this thread are

Edit: and somehow I managed to not lose any work time in the process
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:21:51 PM EDT
[#39]
There is no way I'm paying double for fast food so some moron can drive around with it smoking weed and eating my fries.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Why? lol
They're poor because they're dumb.

We have a dispatcher who orders from Door Dash (or something). He's surrounded by patrolmen (and others) who would go pickup his food free for the asking.
View Quote

Yep. Poor is not just a state of not having money. It's being dumb and doing dumb shit that results in not having money.

I have never used any of those delivery services because the cost is ridiculous. I could afford to, but that would be stupid. Fuck that. I'll go pick it up myself.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:26:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By neshomamench:

It aint pissing it away if it gives me what I want and it is an amouint of money I dont even have to think about.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By neshomamench:

It aint pissing it away if it gives me what I want and it is an amouint of money I dont even have to think about.

I don't have fuck you money, but I promise that I've spent money on shit that some would balk at.  There's always a bigger fish, there's always a smaller fish.

Just spent $200 on a new set of sockets because I spent $900 on something that may save me $50 every 1.5 weeks.  

There's other benefits, but it probably sounds stupid as shit to some people.  And others look at that and pull that out of their cushions.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:42:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Post Y2K example - tenant would take taxis (pre-Uber/Lyft days) to go anywhere.  Apparently that tenant (not mine) never read the Richest Man in Babylon.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:43:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I did it twice while staying at a friend's house in Vegas and I swear to Christ I felt like I was in the poorhouse both times. I hate ordering from those services
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#44]
$40 avocado toast crisis….
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:46:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
View Quote

Larry Fink thanks you for your support.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:54:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:10:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:

So if you go to a restaurant, and buy $50 worth of dinner and have a half-off coupon, you'd only tip on the money you actually paid? That's fucking cheap. The wait staff delivered you a meal worth $50, so you tip on the $50 it would have cost you without a coupon. Jesus, some people.
View Quote

Except the Uber people are delivering $19 of food and want a tip on $43. They want a tip on the taxes your are paying.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#49]
We have a guy who lives a few blocks from my house who used to pick up cans on the side of the road for money.  He used to drive around on an old lawn mower.  One day I see him driving a new little economy car.  It was a nice little car.  He said he started doing Door Dash for money because "People are dumb...".  He works hard at it and says it justifies having the car.  Shoot, he even mows his yard a few times a year now.  If that ain't gentrification, I don't know what is.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:19:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Rodent:
If you are poor in modern America, it's probably because you have a long history of making bad financial decisions. No racism or privilege involved.
View Quote

I am poor.
I have never ordered Door dash or Ubereats. I haven't ordered Pizza in so long I don't even know if they do that anymore.
I'm poor because inflation is insane and employers are refusing to increase salaries to compensate.
I have NOTHING financed and zero luxuries.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top