User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

All been covered here before:

Dead guy's family says the car was paid up.  
Difference is if the bank or repoman made a mistake they might share some liability.

Repo is a civil matter and cops aren't supposed to help.  Since they can't "help" they parked their cars around the corner and laid in wait (hidden from view) for the guy rather than simply park a patrol car in front of the house with the lights on so he knew cops were there.

If he pointed the gun at the repoman the actual shooting might be justified, but the cops should not have never been there in the first place.  
Repo man was chased off earlier in the night by the guy and he should not have returned.  

View Quote

Sounds like the cops should have arrested the guy for pointing a gun at the repo guy and the repo guy should have grabbed the truck after he was taken away.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By grey50beast:
We told him that the NCStar weapon light was going to get him killed...

Jokes aside, the guy thought his truck was getting stolen, because "according to his family" it was paid up. I can understand coming out with a gun for that reason. I really don't think they gave him time to react, other than to swing the pistol at someone coming off the side of his house.  Shitty situation.

In my uneducated opinion, if cops are not allowed to help with repos, they should have done a knock and talk regarding his previous assault during the initial repo attempt. Dangerous? Sure, but no less than ambushing him in the dark, which it 100% was a planned ambush.
View Quote

i’m going with you on dis
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Aikibiker:

Sounds like the cops should have arrested the guy for pointing a gun at the repo guy and the repo guy should have grabbed the truck after he was taken away.
View Quote

There were there to interview/arrest the guy but him pointing a gun at them escalated things
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:01:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cranberry1] [#4]
I'm not sure why the cops couldn't knock on the guys door .

bad shoot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:31:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FunYun1983] [#5]
Originally Posted By evnash:

There were there to interview/arrest the guy but him pointing a gun at them escalated things
View Quote

I guess the cops forget to record the part where they tried to contact him, at least they recorded part where they acted like armed guards for the repo guy.

Was any investigation done between the call and second repo attempt or did they implicitly trust the info the guy gave them?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:33:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#6]
Originally Posted By cranberry1:

bad shoot.
View Quote

I’m not sure why the truck owner would think it’s ok to point a pistol at someone
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:33:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pale_pony] [#7]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FunYun1983:

I guess the cops forget to record the part where they tried to contact him, at least they recorded part where they acted like armed guards for the repo guy.

Was any investigation done between the call and second repo attempt or did they simplicity trust the info the guy gave them?
View Quote

You know the answer.

I'm guessing that is exactly why cops got fired and charged.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

I’m not sure why the truck owner would think it’s ok to point a pistol at someone
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cranberry1:

bad shoot.

maybe the cops should of knocked on the door and asked him instead of murdering him
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Not guilty.

View Quote

Obviously guilty.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Pointing a pistol at someone isnt a civil matter.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Britt-dog:
Lots wrong with this. All over a vehicle. If your paid up and in the right just let them take your rig you'll get it back.

But also the cops dont get to set up an ambush and murder you in your yard over a civil matter. They should have told the tow truck driver to stay away and pursued it in the daylight.

Fucked up all the way around.

Pointing a pistol at someone isnt a civil matter.

The only thing remotely criminal here, was the repo guy trespassing on the owner's property.
The only reason that is remotely an issue, is because the repo guy was lousy at his job.

The Cops should have told the repo guy, that it was a good thing for him, that he left the property when he was told to, and left the vehicle owner alone.

Jay
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Capt-Planet:

Are the cops required to give the guy a chance? Does it have to be a fair fight or something?
View Quote

LOL, yes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Fuck me...yeah. That was just an execution

A couple of sociopath cops right there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:47:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dwhitehorne] [#14]

and this is why I continue to ask if the repo order was valid.  The family saying it was paid doesnt mean anything.
View Quote

If I had a dollar for every time someone who was suspended or had a warrant for unpaid fines said right to my face "I paid that" and didn't I would have retired years ago as a rich man.  
Like it or not if the police challenge you and order you to drop your weapon and you move in any direction you will be shot at.  

As for cops should have knocked on the door.  I probably would have done that but many of todays officers don't want to talk to people.  Radio call for man with a gun results in instantly going up with guns out.  David
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By dwhitehorne:

If I had a dollar for every time someone who was suspended or had a warrant for unpaid fines said right to my face "paid that" and didn't I would have retired years ago as a rich man.  
Like it or not if the police challenge you and order you to drop your weapon and you move in any direction you will be shot at.  David
View Quote

Maybe if the cops had knocked on the mans door none of this would have happened ,and that was one hell of a mag dump .
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:55:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morgan321] [#16]
If I had a dollar for every time someone who was suspended or had a warrant for unpaid fines said right to my face "paid that" and didn't ...
View All Quotes
If I had a dollar for every time someone who was suspended or had a warrant for unpaid fines said right to my face "paid that" and didn't ...
The fact that you were lied to previously by other people has no correlation to whether this guy was lying or not.  

Originally Posted By Aikibiker:
That would've been lots more reasonable than ambushing and killing the guy.  

Originally Posted By evnash:
If they were there to talk to him they would've rung the doorbell, loudly announced their presence, and had a police car parked with the lights on.  
Instead they parked around the corner and positioned themselves out of sight of the front door, both done for the express purpose of concealing their presence which is against the rules and why they were all fired.  They shot the guy before they even finished yelling at him - he never knew the cops were there.  
Your repeated misstatement of facts implies you are too lazy to read or are intentionally lying.  Which is it?

Originally Posted By Bama_Rebel:
maybe the cops should of knocked on the door and asked him instead of murdering him
Never thought I would agree with the NAACP, but that's what the local NAACP guy said.  He was reasonable, articulate, and used facts to support his position.  

Fuck those cops and double fuck the cop who killed the guy.  With cops like that guy we don't need criminals.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:
If he wad paid up its 100% bad shoot.
View Quote

Even if he wasn't paid up, it was a bad shoot.
Cops have no business getting involved in repo's.

The closest the Cop's should get involved in repo's, is if the lien holder gets a court order, a Writ, here, it's Superior Court, for the Sheriff to take possession of the vehicle, and even then, there are things the Sheriff can and can not do, to take the vehicle, and repo guys are not involved with that.

Repo guys are as bad as bounty hunters.

Jay
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:15:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#18]

So was the repossession valid or not?

I dont see it as helping with a repo, if the repossession was legit, rather trying to arrest the truck owner for assault.   I hadnt heard anything about this before so I'm basing my opinion off of the two links and footage.  

Is there some kind of limit in AL on how many times a day a repo guy can try to get a vehicle?
View Quote

Using the repo guy to bait the suspect out seems a rather illegal use of a proxy non-governmental agent to do government business. If the alegation was reasonably credible, then the police were justified to take action unilaterally, without using non-LE in the process. Bad tactic.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AZCOP:

The closest the Cop's should get involved in repo's, is if the lien holder gets a court order, a Writ, here, it's Superior Court, for the Sheriff to take possession of the vehicle, and even then, there are things the Sheriff can and can not do, to take the vehicle, and repo guys are not involved with that.

Jay
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AZCOP:
Originally Posted By Bogdan:
If he wad paid up its 100% bad shoot.

Jay

What if it was a delivery driver that had been threatened with a gun? Would it still be a bad move for the police to set up and catch the guy that's threatening the delivery driver?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Those cops should not have been playing private debt police.

The cop effectively did not identify himself.

The deadee was lawfully (apparently) armed on his own property.

The cop murdered someone while aiding auto theft.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Kind of some dumb tactics all around, guess they were there just for protection of the tow guy….which clearly was needed.  Maybe that is all he wanted, I didn’t watch all the videos or hear what was discussed regarding what he wanted done, but he doesn’t get to determine tactics…

What they should have done was try to contact and arrest the suspect who had already pointed a gun at the tow driver (a pretty serious crime anywhere typically).  Phone call, loud hail, cars as cover, etc.  

So trying to minimize it, for their concern, the tow driver’s concern, or the suspect’s concern, whichever, instead lead to a shooting.  Oops.

As far as the dipshit pointing a gun at the tow driver?  Tow driver could have shot him the first time himself, before the police were there.  

Police don’t have to always give a verbal warning and wait for compliance, just when it is reasonable.  It isn’t very reasonable to wait around while someone else has a gun pointed at them (tow driver), nor if it gets pointed at you (police).  

So good shoot most likely, but dumb approach to the initial call.

Not sure how it is a policy violation in most places, much less murder.

Good example of how doing something kind of half assed (bandaid approach) often makes things worse in the end.  Plus they were armed with handguns, knowing the suspect also had a handgun.  WTF- use the correct tools.  Another one in the not the best idea category…

Things/tactics they could have done differently?  Plenty.  Still might have ended up shooting him though, but likely not. Still- had he not been so fast out the door headed towards the tow driver, pointing a gun at the tow driver and police, they would have had more time before needing to engage, and he would have had more time to process what was happening.  

Anyhow that is all I will say from the little I saw.  It did go down fast, which is why a better setup where everything could have been slowed down would have been better.  Hell just announcing who they were when he started to exit the house, instead of waiting to see what he was going to do/say first would have been a lot better.  Ultimately he chose to think act like a dumbass.  Now if you told me that the dead guy called the police himself earlier, saying he had chased off someone trying to steal his truck, and then he called 911 again before coming out the second time, well that might change what I think of his intentions quite a bit.  But I don’t see anything like that mentioned, so my assumption is that he chose to play big boy games with a gun, without realizing the other side had called in help.

Still kind of a fucked up situation.  Doesn’t make it murder though.  I seriously doubt they intended for it to go down like that…

Ultimately- if the tow driver had a legit repo, and the police believed it was legit, and that the prior reported incident was true (obviously it was, since the same thing happened again), then the tow driver has legal grounds to be there, police have the right to defend him and themselves.  

The fact that I see no mention of the suspect’s lack of prior criminal history tells me that there likely was some of note.  His decision making sure sucked.  

Bad night for everyone.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:21:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OCW] [#22]

I hate getting sucked into GD drivel.  

If his car loan was current then it was not a repo, it was theft, and dead guy was not breaking the law.  

If his car loan was not current then the repoman and police violated written policies which led to the guy getting killed.  Just like if you drive drunk and kill somebody, it's your fault for breaking the rules.

The whole point everybody misses is that there was a better way to do it, but varying amounts of stubbornness on all parties resulted in a guy dying, a little girl growing up knowing the cops killed her dad, a cop being charged with murder, a bunch of cops fired and can never work as a cop again, the city taxpayers out tons of money, and so many more things.  All because the cops wouldn't just park a patrol car with flashing lights in front of the house.  

No matter how you cut it the cops were wrong.  Whether or not dead guy was wrong has no bearing on how wrong the cops and repoman were.

View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Mr_Nasty99:

What if it was a delivery driver that had been threatened with a gun? Would it still be a bad move for the police to set up and catch the guy that's threatening the delivery driver?
View Quote

Yes, because using the driver in the apprehension effort puts him or her at risk. Bad tactic. If the suspect poses the threat as described, then they should be detained before they can do it to anyone else again.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, I can see the point of them claiming the cops didn’t give him time to comply.  On the other hand, guy’s running after someone with a weapon, how much time can you really give him to see how deadly serious he is?

Doesn’t matter if the repo was legit or not.  Guy was indicating he’s prepared to murder over the situation.  If you chase after someone with a gun for any reason, in front of cops, don’t be surprised if you get shot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

If the synopsis of events posted here is accurate, I’m struggling to see how this would be helping with repossession.  Repo guy was collecting property based on a valid repossession order and had a gun pulled on him.  Cops are responding because dude was armed and used his weapon to commit a crime against someone who was performing a lawful activity.  They’re not responding to help the repo guy get the car.
View Quote

Because if they went there to arrest him for agg assault they would use their lights and probably sirens instead of baiting a trap and executing an L shaped ambush.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Mr_Nasty99:

This is pretty much where I'm at, too. The cops were there because the man threatened the driver with a gun, and he had good reason to believe he would do it again.

As far as the police are concerned, I don't think it should make a difference if the debtor was paid up or not. As long as the repo man had the proper documentation for that vehicle, the police were just there to make sure he was safe while doing his job.
View Quote

I have an uncle who is a felon because he helped someone recover property that was subject to an ownership dispute. Don't see why the same rule shouldn’t apply to police.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#27]

If I had a dollar for every time someone who was suspended or had a warrant for unpaid fines said right to my face "I paid that" and didn't I would have retired years ago as a rich man.  
Like it or not if the police challenge you and order you to drop your weapon and you move in any direction you will be shot at.  

As for cops should have knocked on the door.  I probably would have done that but many of todays officers don't want to talk to people.  Radio call for man with a gun results in instantly going up with guns out.  David
View Quote

Laying in wait and executing an L shaped ambush in support of a repossession and shooting almost a dozen safety shots into the ambushee isn’t reasonable.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Lots wrong with this. All over a vehicle. If your paid up and in the right just let them take your rig you'll get it back.

But also the cops dont get to set up an ambush and murder you in your yard over a civil matter. They should have told the tow truck driver to stay away and pursued it in the daylight.

View Quote

This argument boggles me... if he's paid up, it's car theft. Plain amd simple.

This is on par with the "just let thiefs get away with it... you've got insurance to cover it" argument.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Well, I can see the point of them claiming the cops didn’t give him time to comply.  On the other hand, guy’s running after someone with a weapon, how much time can you really give him to see how deadly serious he is?

Doesn’t matter if the repo was legit or not.  Guy was indicating he’s prepared to murder over the situation.  If you chase after someone with a gun for any reason, in front of cops, don’t be surprised if you get shot.
View Quote

The officers intentionally created the situation which may negatively effect their ability to defend their actions.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#30]

is a valid repossession stealing?
View Quote

Is it valid if it's paid up?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BMSMB:

This is on par with the "just let thiefs get away with it... you've got insurance to cover it" argument.
View All Quotes

Not strictly speaking true. If someone fumbled the paperwork and the driver is acting in good faith with valid paperwork he may not be in the wrong. By the same token if the owner believes he’s paid up and was told he wasn’t in risk of repossession his actions in treating the driver as a thief would be reasonable.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Mag dump
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#33]
The other thread led me to an interesting thought. If a court decides that they were there to assist in the warrantless taking of property without probable cause their presence in the curtillage might have been unlawful, and you have no right to defend yourself where you are not legally present.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#34]

If the synopsis of events posted here is accurate, I'm struggling to see how this would be helping with repossession.  Repo guy was collecting property based on a valid repossession order and had a gun pulled on him.  Cops are responding because dude was armed and used his weapon to commit a crime against someone who was performing a lawful activity.  They're not responding to help the repo guy get the car.
View All Quotes
was the repo guy getting the correct vehicle?

what policies were violated (according to the chief)?

From the video, the shooting appears justified (absent the answer to the above questions)

All been covered here before:

Dead guy's family says the car was paid up.  
Difference is if the bank or repoman made a mistake they might share some liability.

Repo is a civil matter and cops aren't supposed to help.  Since they can't "help" they parked their cars around the corner and laid in wait (hidden from view) for the guy rather than simply park a patrol car in front of the house with the lights on so he knew cops were there.

If he pointed the gun at the repoman the actual shooting might be justified, but the cops should not have never been there in the first place.  
Repo man was chased off earlier in the night by the guy and he should not have returned.  

If the synopsis of events posted here is accurate, I'm struggling to see how this would be helping with repossession.  Repo guy was collecting property based on a valid repossession order and had a gun pulled on him.  Cops are responding because dude was armed and used his weapon to commit a crime against someone who was performing a lawful activity.  They're not responding to help the repo guy get the car.
Then why are the cops hanging around the repo man instead of knocking on the guy's door to try and investigate what happened?

As far as the cops know, there's only been a report of someone brandishing a gun. They have no other evidence that happened.  Not saying the repo man lied, but from a neutral perspective the cops would have reasonable suspicion to try and detain but not probable cause to arrest.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By BCPVP:
Then why are the cops hanging around the repo man instead of knocking on the guy's door to try and investigate what happened?

As far as the cops know, there's only been a report of someone brandishing a gun. They have no other evidence that happened.  Not saying the repo man lied, but from a neutral perspective the cops would have reasonable suspicion to try and detain but not probable cause to arrest.
View Quote

The officer was charged with murder so I’m guessing the prosecutors theory is that they weren’t there engaged in a legitimate law enforcement function.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Inneedofhelp:
What is a "leaded bodycam"?  Is it extra heavy or something?
View Quote

I’m not sure what a leaded body cam is, but that guy is a leaded debtor now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By grey50beast:
In my uneducated opinion, if cops are not allowed to help with repos, they should have done a knock and talk regarding his previous assault during the initial repo attempt. Dangerous? Sure, but no less than ambushing him in the dark, which it 100% was a planned ambush.
View Quote

I believe this was mishandled but I am not a LEO so take this for what it is worth.

The repo guy goes there to repo the car. The vehicle owner comes out with a gun. The repo guy leaves and calls the police.

IMO the police should have gone to the vehicle owner's home without the repo guy and talked to the guy.

To the people that say the cops set up an ambush - I agree it looks that way but my guess it was not set up like that on purpose.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#38]
From behind cover, Police, get on the ground, your dead.

Bad shoot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#39]
So the truck with it's lights on in the driveway is the dead guys truck or??
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Repo or not, running outside waiving a pistol around is a great way to get shot by just about anybody.   Some random dude could be walking down the sidewalk and see that guy as a crazy mofo and have a reasonable fear of immediate harm and/or death - and be justified in shooting the bastard.

Same for the cops.   You wave a gun around, you take your chances.  

As for everything else, unfortunately that's what lawyers are for.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#41]
It's nearly 2:00 a.m. if the clock running in the lower right corner is correct. Is this a good time to try a repo? With that being said, point a gun at a LEO and you forfeit any pretense of being the good guy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#42]
There was a long thread about weapons mounted lights a couple weeks ago.  Morons putting bright lights on their pistols and using them to check out bumps in the night.

Well, look where a weapon mounted light got this perp.  The minute he lit the repo man up, he was ADW, and shootable.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By MaximusEmanatus:
There was a long thread about weapons mounted lights a couple weeks ago.  Morons putting bright lights on their pistols and using them to check out bumps in the night.

Well, look where a weapon mounted light got this perp.  The minute he lit the repo man up, he was ADW, and shootable.
View Quote

That remains to be seen. The officer has been charged with murder after all.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Why didn’t the cops talk to the guy before repo man came back?  They could have made their presence know and attempt to deescalate the situation.  They choose to lie in wait and ambush the guy….absolutely didn’t need to go down like that.  

This is Alabama.  Perhaps maybe there’s more to this story like the repo man is officer assassin’s cousin or something.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By evnash:.good shoot? mag dump excessive once the perp is down?
View Quote

I think they are taught that by policy.  Like if one ossifer shoots, everybody shoots, because that proves all ossifers were in fear and just wanted to go home safe.  

Full mag dump achieves three things:

1) Proves ossifer in fear for his life and wants to go home safe

2) Converts mag change from tactical to emergency.

3) Makes sure of terminal lead poisoning
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

That remains to be seen. The officer has been charged with murder after all.
View Quote

But the moron with the weapons mounted light is DEAD.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
I don't disagree with you, I just don't think its worth killing or being killed over. Lots of unreasonable things in this world I wont risk my life for. Some I will.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Why didn’t the cops talk to the guy before repo man came back?  They could have made their presence know and attempt to deescalate the situation.  They choose to lie in wait and ambush the guy….absolutely didn’t need to go down like that.
View Quote

The presence of police officers doesn't really seem to have a de-escalation effect on the black community.  It's more likely to stimulate aggressive action.  

If the perp knew the po-po was there, it's more likely that he would come out with an Evil Black Rifle, shooting first and everything that moves.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By MaximusEmanatus:

View Quote
so shining a flashlight at someone is now a death sentence? I go outside with a flashlight but without a gun all the time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By BCPVP:
View Quote

Because there was a report of an armed perp.  They knock on the door and he answers, they could get hurt.  That's SWAT stuff.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top