BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
Are you gonna sue the instructor, the kid and/or Utah?
View Quote

Have the owner call me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Bbodiford:

Put him with bigger and better partners after speaking with him, have him get thrashed by someone slightly older and be taught a lesson, burpees, etc. People (kids included) have poor judgment and make mistakes all the time. At the end of the day, no one got hurt or was really on the verge of serious injury because it’s a kids class and that’s what instructors are there for. This is significantly lighter than say someone ripping a heal hook on a hobbyist and potentially sidelining them and taking food off of their table. And folks looks at that situation as “part of the game”, but a kid, who literally is being taught nonstop in life, can’t be corrected after making bad decisions because of “liability” is odd to me. BJJ may be the only structure that kid has in life.
View Quote

Yeah, and it sucks for that kid because his parents probably are physically abusing him or worse.

But we’re a business, not a therapist office, and a kid who won’t let go of a tap when the instructor and student tell him to stop needs therapy, not martial arts.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By byron2112:
obvious answer is to dominate the dojo..

https://y.yarn.co/796a3cc9-eec7-4e9d-9863-a27640dd39b7_text.gif

https://i.imgur.com/DKa6AMA.gif
View Quote

Imagine the expression on the children's faces if they saw a portly middle aged Aimless in his old Gi coming at them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:06:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:
When I was a kid, there was a retard in my swimming class.  During a cross pool swim, he attempted to drown me with both hands on the back of my neck. I guess I heel kicked him in the face, cuz he had to be fished out of the pool?  My parents complained and retard wasn’t allowed in swimming class anymore.

Last year during BJJ, I got paired with a slightly crazy (she really liked me choking her) tiny Latina named Rose. While practicing some basic techniques, she kicked me very deliberately in the head. I stopped the action and communicated her error. Later she deliberately punched me in the face, so I demonstrated our size and strength difference by picking her up and locking in a rear naked choke. I spoke with the instructors and they approved of me policing my partner.

Your kid should have beat the ever living shit out of the choker. Like, grab his testicles and twist them until his family tree goes bonsai , then elbow him in the face until he’s lumpy and stupid.
View Quote

Sounds like foreplay for the crazy Latina.  Your response to dominate was likely desired.  You did say she likes choking.  It’s her kink.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:07:16 AM EDT
[#5]
It doesn't get better when they get older. Effer should be booted.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:08:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

Some styles teach some chokes, I’ve seen it in Japan.

I believe we have a member who’s studded recently in Japan.

I’ve seen it with adults here in the states. It’s not common but unfortunately there are those out there doing that.

See how the Sensei decides to handle it. If he doesn’t meet your expectations, have a respectful meeting to understand his insight into it.

If that doesn’t meet your expectations, then the option is try another days / times or school.

View Quote

Your avatar and comments made me laugh.  Obviously those of a humbled Johnny Lawrence.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:27:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 1Bigdog:
Golf will serve your kids 100 times more in life.

When was the last time you asked your friends if they wanted to fight?
View Quote

Ryan Gosling enters the chat

Wanna Fight Scene - "Wanna Fight?" (Only God Forgives Official Scene HD)
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:27:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Krombompulos_Michael:

Your avatar and comments made me laugh.  Obviously those of a humbled Johnny Lawrence.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:28:04 AM EDT
[#9]
What happens when this kid won't release a RNC and the instructor is tied up with another student and not paying attention?

How much does a tort lawsuit by the parents of a brain dead kid generally run?

These are questions I would be asking the owner of the gym.  I bet if you start asking these kinds of questions, the problem will resolve itself, at least for the gym and your kids.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:42:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Has anyone told Aimless to go back to NY yet?

Tell your kid next time he sees it coming to punch the kid in the nose and make him bleed. If he can’t see it coming then he needs to get choked about one more time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:21:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Some kid wouldn't stop choking my kid even after he tapped out. (These are elementary school age kids) The instructor told the kid to stop and he wouldn't, so the instructor had to break the kid's grip on my kid's neck. My kid was pissed and sat out the rest of the class. When we went to leave he had problems talking and got pretty upset.

My other kid said the choker had been told he had "two strikes" before that but didn't know what happened. Choker has also jokingly thrown punches, but pulled short, at my other kid, I guess joking around.

We've had good luck in Utah. The kids are nice and the classes are fun. My kids have been thrown around by some pretty big kids but they just laugh. The place in NY seemed like it had more mean kids, I don't, maybe my kids were just younger.

I never took classes until I was 14 and never saw anyone have to be stopped choking someone. Maybe this shit happens in little kid classes but I haven't seen it before. I'm thinking about telling them my kids aren't wrestling with this kid anymore. I don't need my little kids getting choked unconscious. :/

My kids are in a ton of activities. I really think the time would be better spent on tennis lol. Oh my kids like karate better and want to keep going.
View Quote

You get to learn if the teacher and the class are worthwhile.

People like that at any age will be politely invited to dress out and leave and NEVER come back.

Their pictures and names are probably shared around amongst the other MA classes.

MA classes are not for hurting the students. People who are there who will not listen to that do not belong in any ma class and need to be booted the instant they show that they won't listen.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:22:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm sending him in a gorget tomorrow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:
Tell him "that's what happens when you let them take your back."
I'm sending him in a gorget tomorrow.

If the teacher sees it, has warned the kid, knows the other kid has been doing it, and will not stop it immediately, pull your kid and find another place.

That cannot be tolerated.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:24:26 AM EDT
[#13]
You should "accidentally" drop a business card on the floor after talking to the instructor. He'll get the picture....
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:41:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm having to do a bit of a orifice pull with this, but I believe this is a valid comparison:

This is no different than being in a live ammo force on force exercise and the instructor lets a student flag people with their muzzle repeatedly.

Yes, it's a force on force, yes, things can and do happen, yes, you're there training to shoot somebody in real bloody earnest ... BUT ... flagging the other students is verboten for a very good reason.

Out of control jerks like that are dangerous. Especially in classes involving joint manipulation, where a quarter inch more of movement can result in a busted or burst joint, and you can't see when that's coming and you can't react fast enough to stop it even if you could see it coming.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:36:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 80085:

What if OP is in Denver?
View Quote

"Take him to Detroit"

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:43:11 AM EDT
[#16]
When I did Judo back in the 80s, a kid pulling that garbage would be bounced pretty fast.  They didn't have any tolerance for it.  They allowed chokes at 13, and joint locks at 16, doing the same later with a joint lock could result in pretty significant damage.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:42:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Give the instructor some space to resolve the matter if you can
View Quote

This.
If the kid already has a couple instances of not following instructions the choice should be easy.

It happens as adults also.
We had a guy in class that always would throw a punch or kick at a break or end of sparring round.
He did it as usual and he got driven into the wall and his head and torso making a nice broken outline in the class drywall.

It was the last time he did it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Choker just needs a swift kick in the sack when he least expects it, along with a few more to the ribs while he’s on the ground.

Best way to fix a bully is to let them know they’re not invincible.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:09:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rodent] [#19]
This is why, traditionally, martial arts were not taught to children. But Karate has evolved from a fighting art for adults into a tournament sport for children. Almost all dojos in America are just businesses selling belts to children.

This is also why I am very opposed to teaching vascular knock-outs to lower ranks and especially to children. When there's no coach or referee to knock things off, they can get out of hand, even if they're applied correctly.

Remember former Marine Daniel Penny killing the bum on the subway not too long ago? He knew how to apply a vascular hold, but he didn't really understand it, and he held it for six minutes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Do the kids classes have mat enforcers?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:29:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:32:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By EconProf:
You can’t grab someone by the gonads when you’re in a locked in RNC. Their legs are wrapped around the front of your legs ensuring a great nut to lower back seal!
View Quote

Well there's a part of the body there somewhere. If you can't find a finger, toes only bend so far... and not very far sideways.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:38:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Golf has been my family’s pastime for generations. Kelly Slater and Noel Salas love to golf too but Kelly studies Jujitsu when he has time
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1Bigdog:
Golf will serve your kids 100 times more in life.

When was the last time you asked your friends if they wanted to fight?

Golf has been my family’s pastime for generations. Kelly Slater and Noel Salas love to golf too but Kelly studies Jujitsu when he has time

He probably needed something to do on flat days and couldn't skateboard...  
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By RRA_223:
Part of me says "this is why you keep training - so you learn how to keep a bully from choking you."

But until they're bigger, I would just have the instructor make sure they are not paired together again / or privately request the bully be barred from class.  

But "karate schools" are a dime a dozen.  You can go elsewhere as a last resort.

BJJ schools generally don't tolerate that shit at the kid level.  At all.  

Id see if the Bully is allowed back in before taking the next step - but pulling them from martial arts just means they'll be bullied by someone else later.
View Quote
This.

Insee this as an opportunity to speak with your son about why we train. Don't let him get discouraged, he needs to recognize that there is always someone stronger, faster, more skilled than you and that's why you train.

I also would have a discussion with the head instructor (Shihan) and let it be known that you don't want your son rolling with the other kid.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#26]

When I met Jim Kelly he absolutely refused to do any martial arts with me, all he wanted to do was play tennis 🎾 like everyday
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_2008_jpeg-3171537.JPG
View Quote

Is that you on the right?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#27]
The other kid should absolutely get kicked out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Bbodiford:

MMA gym as well, and this is easily handled within the gym by the instructor. If that doesn’t work for whatever reason, then yeah cancel the membership. Canceling membership isn’t the first step. Especially for a kid.

The whole liability thing is a poor argument considering there is precedent that you can really get sued no matter what if an injury happens regardless of intent.

Competent instructors can address this, overweight guys in GD that can’t fight, cannot.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#29]
You can find a bad apple anywhere, even among a group of good kids in Utah.  I'd tell the instructor not to let your kid spar with the choker kid anymore.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By flyhack72:

Or you could just pay some girls $5 and be done with it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flyhack72:
Originally Posted By RikWriter:
It sucks that the other kid was such a douche, but I guess it's better to find that out about people young and not get surprised by it when you're older.  Time to teach your kid some dirty fighting.

Or you could just pay some girls $5 and be done with it.

Non-stop shame and harass him out of grappling class. Noice. Best $5 ever spent.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By noob5000000:
Tell your kid to do this to the choker immediately at the start of next class:
https://media1.tenor.com/m/bRFCpSak_0MAAAAd/karate-kid-karate.gif
View Quote

Lead with his chin up in the air?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#32]
competitive swimming is better conditioning for younger kids anyway...
baseball is good too
go back to judo able to swing a bat effectively
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#33]
very simple fix. Don't roll with the kid.
I have adults at a few of my gyms that I won't roll with...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#34]
perhaps a lucha libre outfit with a foreign object in his boot would turn the tables in his favor?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#35]
My 11 year old is in black belt training. I told him and his sensei that if anyone touches his neck to punch them in the nose as hard as possible. Sensei agreed with me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:41:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: killstick_engaged] [#36]
Glad you're having a good time in Utah bro but it's not going to be perfect.

Tell the instructor you don't want this kids sparring with yours. Easy fix.

My son got injured because despite being explained to him a million times he didn't tap out when he should have.

He's fine now and the lesson was learned. I  your son's case, The lesson is that some people are going to be a-holes even in controlled environments.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:

That’s because they haven’t seen your mad nunchaku skills.

Yet.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
Originally Posted By 80085:
Is it a crime to accost and tell a minor in Utah that next time you'll choke his ass out and piss on him?
Even the ladies' class looks like more than I could handle

That’s because they haven’t seen your mad nunchaku skills.

Yet.

Wait till they get a load of his bowstaff.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#38]

The problem is, if you are in a fully locked in rear naked choke, your only choice is tapping. The tap has to be respected in order for anyone to feel safe training in the gym.
View Quote

Oh, bullshit.   Tapping is only the first step in a ROE that can rapidly escalate to eye gouge to kerambit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#39]
There are some kids that are in a dysfunctional home.  They tend to "act out" aggressively. While not normal or desirable......these are kids.
The instructor must step in and maintain disapline...even when in the heat of the moment.  Instructor should be.... "tuned up" about letting a kid with control issues continue.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#40]
True Detective season 2: Colin Farrell beats "Ass-pen" father
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By XDONX3:
If he’s choking from behind tell your kid to give him a backwards head but right into his nose. He’ll learn
View Quote

This.

If the kid does not respect the sportsmanship and rules of BJJ then your kids can respond in kind if necessary.

Other kids sounds like a douche with no discipline. Perhaps BJJ will help him. Seems like he might be on his way out of the gym anyways. This was however a good lesson for your son, there are poor sports and assholes out there in the world.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By XDONX3:
If he’s choking from behind tell your kid to give him a backwards head but right into his nose. He’ll learn
View Quote

This.

If the kid does not respect the sportsmanship and rules of BJJ then your kids can respond in kind if necessary.

Other kids sounds like a douche with no discipline. Perhaps BJJ will help him. Seems like he might be on his way out of the gym anyways. This was however a good lesson for your son, there are poor sports and assholes out there in the world.

Edit: Also agree with those saying that’s a questionable gym at best. At my gym that would term your membership.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:41:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ridgerunner9876] [#43]
Originally Posted By Kid_Sampson:
I used to help teach kids BJJ at my old school and taught adult BJJ while in law school. Refusing to release a submission is something people get banned from gyms for.

Tell the owner/instructor that you don't want this kid sparring with your boy.
View Quote

This.

1) Instructor should have one hell of a lot more control in the class and be RIGHT ON the action when kids are sparring.

2) I suspect shit head is still there because they want the money.

3) Kidsampson is right. There is no three strike bull shit. Intentionally holding a submission or injuring another student is time to be shown the door unless there are some pretty big extenuating circumstances.

I've done it a couple times.(eta, thrown a student out, not tried to hurt one. )It happens. It isnt tolerated. Bad behavior in general isnt tolerated. It is a privilege to be there. A duty to help each other learn.

Any place that doesn't constantly and consistently foster that atmosphere isnt worth being at.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By madmacs69:

He probably needed something to do on flat days and couldn't skateboard...  
View Quote

Him and Stacey Peralta are friends but now that you mention it, I don’t recall ever seeing him at any half pipes
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Go to the dad of this bully and tell him youre a mod with several hundred thousands posts on an Internet forum. That will usually scare them

If he wants to mouth off,  time to get it on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By hbilly:

"Take him to Detroit"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpJy38HNjMU
View Quote

My Dad loved that movie. Guy I know with a tiny YouTube channel did a review recently. He covers all things 1970s, mainly music
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By jwr6:

Oh, bullshit.   Tapping is only the first step in a ROE that can rapidly escalate to eye gouge to kerambit.
View All Quotes

The problem is, if you are in a fully locked in rear naked choke, your only choice is tapping. The tap has to be respected in order for anyone to feel safe training in the gym.

You're carrying a knife on the mat?

You're not gouging my eyes or grabbing my balls if I have you in hadaka jime. One, there wont be time. Two, you cant reach them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:
I'm having to do a bit of a orifice pull with this, but I believe this is a valid comparison:

This is no different than being in a live ammo force on force exercise and the instructor lets a student flag people with their muzzle repeatedly.

Yes, it's a force on force, yes, things can and do happen, yes, you're there training to shoot somebody in real bloody earnest ... BUT ... flagging the other students is verboten for a very good reason.

Out of control jerks like that are dangerous. Especially in classes involving joint manipulation, where a quarter inch more of movement can result in a busted or burst joint, and you can't see when that's coming and you can't react fast enough to stop it even if you could see it coming.
View Quote

Someone made a heel lock joke back on page 1 I think

John Danaher Leg Lock Instructional
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Older brother needs to curb check younger brothers bully.  That's how it is supposed to work.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

lol

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top