BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lug1:
Take the choker out for pancakes.  Put a bottle of visine in his chocolate milk.
View Quote

What if OP is in Denver?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#2]
suggest your kid get better skills
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Red_Label:
Cobra Kai! Tell your kid to sweep the leg.
View Quote

Fear Does Not Exist In This Dojo | JOHNNY LAWRENCE EDIT ????
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Bbodiford:

Dang, it’s almost like they’re at a place where they could be taught discipline and an understanding of how to do things the right way instead of immediately kicking them to the curb.

View Quote

Being new and not understanding is one thing, kids not paying attention, happens all the time, being assholes to each other is every day in class, but Aimless described an outright refusal to let go of a choke when the partner tapped and the instructor had to pry the kid off. If our gym knowingly lets that student continue to train, that is a lawsuit and the end of our gym.

We are an MMA gym for reference here, not some bullshit Gracie barra either. It’s unacceptable risk to the gym and our students.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 80085:

What if OP is in Denver?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 80085:
Originally Posted By Lug1:.  
Take the choker out for pancakes.  Put a bottle of visine in his chocolate milk.

What if OP is in Denver?
I must have missed 60 minutes.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with whoever said to give the instructors leeway to handle this.
But seriously, tell your son that if the kid does it again, he needs to do whatever he has to do to get out of the choke.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By flyhack72:

Or you could just pay some girls $5 and be done with it.
View Quote

The Nice Guys - Main Trailer [HD]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Even the ladies' class looks like more than I could handle

View Quote

You should buy a Nice Purse and join those Ladies...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:07:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flyhack72] [#11]
Originally Posted By randomhero97:
My son's wrestling squad has a "choker."

During practice, my son complained to me about getting choked when he was paired up for open mat.

I told him next time he's paired up for open mat, get the take down and as you're getting top control drive your forearm into his neck.  Hopefully, lesson learned.

Probably not the best advice, but I would rather him handle on the mat.

View Quote

Teach him to spiral ride and don't be shy where his hand goes.

If the opponent starts standing hit an elevator.  Suck it up and in.  The kid will be walking bowlegged after the match and he won't want to wrestle him again.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
Are you gonna sue the instructor, the kid and/or Utah?
View Quote

Instructor did the right thing by intervening.  Other kid should be grounded as punishment.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Your child needs to develop a life long rivalry with the other child based on martial arts eventually forming different dojos and enlisting the support of other children decades from now to wage a private war against each other over a series of more and more complicated personal conflicts.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RikWriter:
But seriously, tell your son that if the kid does it again, he needs to do whatever he has to do to get out of the choke.
View Quote

The problem is, if you are in a fully locked in rear naked choke, your only choice is tapping. The tap has to be respected in order for anyone to feel safe training in the gym.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Denver banned listing soda and chocolate milk on kid's menus, like happy meals, this week.
View All Quotes
I must have missed 60 minutes.

Denver banned listing soda and chocolate milk on kid's menus, like happy meals, this week.
Yea I for sure didn't keep up with that.  I wont go back to Denver.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ar15-joe:
If that happened in my kids BJJ class that kid would be gone.
View Quote
The instructor should make it clear the choker can't get away with it.  If he exhibited bad behavior AFTER the choking incident he should be banned.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Get a lawyer. Oh, wait...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By EconProf:

The problem is, if you are in a fully locked in rear naked choke, your only choice is tapping. The tap has to be respected in order for anyone to feel safe training in the gym.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RikWriter:

Handfull of testicles and crush as hard as you can, if you can gather the where with all to do so.

This little bastard needs to be stopped!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Wait, I thought you were about 70 years old and now you are telling us you have little kids?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I've seen kids spinning nunchucks around in there. I almost asked to buy one. My son says he thinks they're hollow.
View Quote
Foam coated speed chucks.  For the win.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MikeS369:
Wait, I thought you were about 70 years old and now you are telling us you have little kids?
View Quote
I think OP is 74.  I think.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By CAsoldier:
Your child needs to develop a life long rivalry with the other child based on martial arts eventually forming different dojos and enlisting the support of other children decades from now to wage a private war against each other over a series of more and more complicated personal conflicts.
View Quote

The only question is which kid is the car salesman.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Handfull of testicles and crush as hard as you can, if you can gather the where with all to do so.

This little bastard needs to be stopped!
View Quote

You can’t grab someone by the gonads when you’re in a locked in RNC. Their legs are wrapped around the front of your legs ensuring a great nut to lower back seal!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#27]

You can't grab someone by the gonads when you're in a locked in RNC. Their legs are wrapped around the front of your legs ensuring a great nut to lower back seal!
View Quote
Thats nuts.

And no shit....
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Let them know you're the litigious type
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By MikeS369:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#32]

You can’t grab someone by the gonads when you’re in a locked in RNC. Their legs are wrapped around the front of your legs ensuring a great nut to lower back seal!
View Quote

Nobody gets their hooks in right. Go for broke and get that ankle lock.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm not quite that old and I had kids later in life.

Some of the neighborhood boys were playing Minecraft and I heard my son say "It's okay lots of people think he's my grand dad"
I yelled "I can hear you" and they shouted back "Sorry!" Lol

View Quote

Ha!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:20:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Seriously though, I have been teaching kids class for 4 years now and we have only dealt with this once, and I’m quite certain the kid we had to ban from the gym had a very bad home life, physical abuse and all.

That shit cannot be tolerated.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:20:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Maybe the other kid is from NY or NJ?

Anyway, he doesn’t sound like he wants to listen to the instructor, maybe he has behavioral problems and the parents thought judo would teach him some control.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Being new and not understanding is one thing, kids not paying attention, happens all the time, being assholes to each other is every day in class, but Aimless described an outright refusal to let go of a choke when the partner tapped and the instructor had to pry the kid off. If our gym knowingly lets that student continue to train, that is a lawsuit and the end of our gym.

We are an MMA gym for reference here, not some bullshit Gracie barra either. It’s unacceptable risk to the gym and our students.
View Quote

MMA gym as well, and this is easily handled within the gym by the instructor. If that doesn’t work for whatever reason, then yeah cancel the membership. Canceling membership isn’t the first step. Especially for a kid.

The whole liability thing is a poor argument considering there is precedent that you can really get sued no matter what if an injury happens regardless of intent.

Competent instructors can address this, overweight guys in GD that can’t fight, cannot.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By CAsoldier:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

Nobody gets their hooks in right. Go for broke and get that ankle lock.
View Quote

Kids ankles and knees are unbreakable, it’s why we don’t teach them heel hooks
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Kids ankles and knees are unbreakable, it’s why we don’t teach them heel hooks
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:23:40 PM EDT
[#40]
In our gym that’s automatic membership termination regardless of age. I would not continue to take your kids to that school if they do not take training partner safety seriously.
View Quote

This. The kid failing to respond to an instructor command and requiring physical interaction to break the hold is grounds for removal from the class.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
Maybe the other kid is from NY or NJ?

Anyway, he doesn’t sound like he wants to listen to the instructor, maybe he has behavioral problems and the parents thought judo would teach him some control.
View Quote

The Karate Kid Little street in Newark | The Karate kid (1984) Movie Filming Location
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:24:53 PM EDT
[#42]
"My dads a lawyer! He'll sue you!"
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#43]

MMA gym as well, and this is easily handled within the gym by the instructor. If that doesn’t work for whatever reason, then yeah cancel the membership. Canceling membership isn’t the first step. Especially for a kid.

The whole liability thing is a poor argument considering there is precedent that you can really get sued no matter what if an injury happens regardless of intent.

Competent instructors can address this, overweight guys in GD that can’t fight, cannot.
View Quote

I don’t know man, sure we could probably help the kid, but that’s a fuck load of liability you’re accepting. At the end of the day, our business, our rules. We are very clear on day one, any refusal to let go of a choke or a limb will result in termination of membership. That is told to the parents and to all the kids.

Like I said in an earlier post, this has only been an issue one time in my 4 years of coaching kids.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Golf will serve your kids 100 times more in life.

When was the last time you asked your friends if they wanted to fight?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Dang, it’s almost like they’re at a place where they could be taught discipline and an understanding of how to do things the right way instead of immediately kicking them to the curb.

View All Quotes

I’m also a purple belt, and I run the kids class at our gym. Any legitimate refusal to let go of a submission when they see or hear their partner tap is automatic membership termination.

This has only been an issue one time. If a kid can’t respect a tap they aren’t mature enough to train at our gym and are a huge liability/potential lawsuit.

As noted in the OP, the kid has two strikes already, this is not immediately kicking to curb, it's a bad position of a serious injury occurs due to a kid who has been told repeatedly it's inappropriate and fails to heed the instructor .
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By 1Bigdog:
Golf will serve your kids 100 times more in life.

When was the last time you asked your friends if they wanted to fight?
View Quote

Golf has been my family’s pastime for generations. Kelly Slater and Noel Salas love to golf too but Kelly studies Jujitsu when he has time
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:32:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#47]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat:
"My dads a lawyer! He'll sue you!"
View Quote

Sue Fu!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:33:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RatherBeLifting] [#48]

View All Quotes

ETA:

Sorry, I misread that as "can't get sued".
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:36:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Discuss with the instructor teaching ways to break the choke hold.  Talk to the owner about the problem.
Escaping The Standing Rear Naked Choke: 3 Proven Techniques
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:36:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bbodiford] [#50]

I don’t know man, sure we could probably help the kid, but that’s a fuck load of liability you’re accepting. At the end of the day, our business, our rules. We are very clear on day one, any refusal to let go of a choke or a limb will result in termination of membership. That is told to the parents and to all the kids.

Like I said in an earlier post, this has only been an issue one time in my 4 years of coaching kids.
View Quote

Put him with bigger and better partners after speaking with him, have him get thrashed by someone slightly older and be taught a lesson, burpees, etc. People (kids included) have poor judgment and make mistakes all the time. At the end of the day, no one got hurt or was really on the verge of serious injury because it’s a kids class and that’s what instructors are there for. This is significantly lighter than say someone ripping a heel hook on a hobbyist and potentially sidelining them and taking food off of their table. And folks looks at that situation as “part of the game”, but a kid, who literally is being taught nonstop in life, can’t be corrected after making bad decisions because of “liability” is odd to me. BJJ may be the only structure that kid has in life.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top