Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Amazing isn't it?  2 years out and I'm still glasses free.  I do now have to wear readers from time to time for really small stuff but otherwise nothing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He didn't fill out a form showing ALL medications he's taking?

I find that odd.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad had complications with his cataract surgery.  He takes a medication called Flowmax.  After the surgery the doc
said, "I did not know you were taking that.  Your retina was like toilet paper."  Apparently she would have done something
different, but was already into the surgery.  That question was not asked before the surgery.

Make sure your doctor knows all of the meds you take.

I find that odd.

Don't know.  It was done through the VA or at the VA, can't remember.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I had mine done almost 12 years ago.

I still remember looking out into the back yard and seeing the vivid green and the blue sky.  I couldn't believe how bad my eye sight had gotten.

Quoted:
How's driving at night, specifically, oncoming cars that leave on their high beams?
View Quote

I've never had any problems.  My dad said he gets halo's at night so he doesn't go out to much after dark.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had both Cataracts replaced. Here is what you can expect from the 2 procedures:

You will not remember the first one. You will go under, wake up and once you take the patch off for your first look and see you will be so happy

You will (likely) be conscious for the second one and remember most of what happens.
I remember him cutting my eye, removing the old cataract.
The vision was like a video of the Hubble telescope swirling gold and red colors just beautiful .
Then I watch as he inserts the new lens and I am so in awe of what I am seeing.

I later had two floaters removed in my right eye and the entire procedure was in black and white, also very cool but not the incredible light show of my second cataract
In followup visits it was explained to me why because of how they do the procedures the floaters were in B&W while the cataracts were in color so it is actually typical of most patients to not remember the first but remember the second procedure
Do not dread what you will experience it is fantastic.
Of course everyone reacts different to being under so some may not remember the light show.
The colors man the colors

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Same for me; I was reading texts with my left eye ob the way home from surgery, hour afterwards.

That had never been possible, I was already too blind in that eye to see texts when cell phones became common.

Pretty amazing.

What blew me away was the brilliance of the colors.

just spectacular. No idea what I was missing until it was fixed.

After the first eye, I would stare at the bathroom sink while brushing my teeth and blink from one eye to the other; Yellow….WHITE! Yellow…WHITE!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Tag. I really need to have it done.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Imagine if this was 1870.  We'd be blind and deaf already.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually…
The Amazing History of Cataract Surgery by Professor Fernando Trindade

But yes, ‘modern’ cataract surgery started in the 1990s:
Dr. Jacob Mong on "The History of Cataract Surgery"
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad had complications with his cataract surgery.  He takes a medication called Flowmax.  After the surgery the doc
said, "I did not know you were taking that.  Your retina was like toilet paper."  Apparently she would have done something
different, but was already into the surgery.  That question was not asked before the surgery.

Make sure your doctor knows all of the meds you take.

I find that odd.

Enough said.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I guess different doctors do it differently, but I was NOT anesthetized. I was awake so the doc could direct me to look at a little red light, etc. But I felt nothing, and I certainly couldn't see the procedure being done.

Second one was just like the first one. I guess my cataracts weren't that bad, and colors seemed about the same afterwards as before. The main change was that I no longer needed to wear contacts, although I did need a followup (YAG laser) procedure to remove some kind of cloudiness after a month or so. I now need readers, but that's because I didn't want one eye close up and the other one distance vision. If you can handle differential vision, go for it and you probably won't need readers.

The surgery is a breeze - no pain, no strain, no eye patch. Just be ready to use LOTS of eye drops before and after the surgery.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Actually…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFjeM98kS10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqePBqakYz4
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFjeM98kS10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqePBqakYz4

When I had my detached retina on right eye done about 22 yrs ago they used lasers and a scleral buckle to hold it together.  Doc said if 5 years earlier they wouldn't have been able to fix it.  Left eye was detached and fixed about 8 yrs ago with bubble injection and laser.  Since I've had that and cataracts lens replacements, I was more thinking about the detached retina scenario.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#12]
When I did my consult they said it was dropless. No drops needed. They put the medicine into your eyeball/fluid when you get surgery.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top