Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Riter:
Same thing happened to my neighbor in SF.  Her husband developed cancer and they took out an equity loan to cover his medical expense.  She's now back to work and will be there until the day she dies.
View Quote

That'll get a belly laugh from the boomer haters.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By rtlm:Cancer will not eat up serious money, unless you allow it to.
View Quote

True.  Irrevocable trusts, Lady Bird deeds, all sorts of ways to keep the .gov out of your life.  It's easy.  It doesn't work for cash, though.  But most people are stupid about money which the .gov counts on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:04:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: akguy1985] [#3]
I worked with a guy at my former employer that I swore would work until he died and we found him deceased on the production floor but as soon as he hit 65 he was gone. He had no savings and lived with his elderly mother.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't worry Marcia, Brandon is bankrupting the entire country:

CBO Director Warns Of Debt Market Meltdown With US Debt On "Unprecedented" Trajectory
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:20:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By PovertyPonies:

I'm starting to wonder if saving money for retirement, maxing the health savings account, paying for insurance, living in a paid-off too-small house, driving old cars, and paying cash for my kid's education were sucker moves.

View Quote

Yea starting to feel the same way....
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:22:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dannylgriffin] [#6]
Originally Posted By SystemOfTheMachine:I'm hoping that by the time I'm 59, my investments will be worth close to $500,000-$600,000 and my house will be paid off.  At that point I would certainly contemplate early retirement.  

For me, retiring at 62 is an absolute and I almost view it as a failure.
View Quote
Look, I don't know you, but I am going to give you my two cents.  Do you absolutely hate your job?  Or do you have some other reason to demand retirement at 62?  A few years ago I thought that I would retire at 62 just because things in the auto industry had changed for the worse (IMO) and I didn't like it.  (I am an engineer).  Then I decided to stick around one more year because I had two projects going on (I was a Project Manager).  Then because of a corporate-wide incentive to retire, which I was going to do anyway, I took it and was suddenly out of work.  It was shocking.

Do not discount the worth of work.  I loved my job.  I was getting to the point where, I don't know, I was getting older and would not put up with people's BS any longer.  So I thought it was time for me to go.  I could afford it so I did.  I do not regret it but I miss it nonetheless.  Work is good.  If you enjoy it there is nothing wrong with working into your seventies.  Really.

BTW, $500K-$600K is not enough.  You need at least double that, and that's if you have a decent SSA/annuity/pension income to live off of.  You won't want to touch your investments for at least a decade.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Jacon:
The music has stopped for Boomers. You did this.
View Quote

Still waiting for zoomers to put in a 40hr work week that doesn't involve them sitting around with their thumb's up their ass.

Article doesn't describe the dozens of trips/vacations she took or the $ wasted on useless shit.

I hear people say they are "just scraping by" when I suddenly see their FB and Instagram pages surrounded by mountains of shit they couldn't possibly afford.

Zero fucks given.gif
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By IPB:
Retirement, like religion is a luxury most can't afford.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Try harder... Stop being a fucking victim

The list of wanna be Kardashians who post here to bitch having plundered their own bank accounts is staggering.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

Investment guy is stupid. Take it early, don't need it, toss it in a ROTH, CD, MM or whatever. That 8% is a bullshit thing.

Or take it, use it, save YOUR retirement money until you HAVE to use it or pass it on to your family/heirs. You aren't passing your SS on to anyone but some welfare mooch who never worked 3 months straight in their life.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By paddykern:
Originally Posted By hicap:
retired at 63 and loving it so far. haven't started taking SS yet

I waited till 70 to start taking SS.
Not sure if that was the right decision.
Investment guy said it was like making a guaranteed 8% every year by waiting.

Investment guy is stupid. Take it early, don't need it, toss it in a ROTH, CD, MM or whatever. That 8% is a bullshit thing.

Or take it, use it, save YOUR retirement money until you HAVE to use it or pass it on to your family/heirs. You aren't passing your SS on to anyone but some welfare mooch who never worked 3 months straight in their life.

This.  So much this.  (I hate to quote myself).  Why are people so stupid?  Did you do an Excel spreadsheet graph of Social Security?  I'm assuming not or else you would NOT have chosen the route you did.  Waiting to collect SSA benefits are for people too stupid to know math.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

Bullshit! We didn’t ask for Obamacare. We knew the evil that is National Healthcare. We didn’t ask for processed foods and the pharmaceuticals necessary to keep people alive after living on said processed foods.

We didn’t ask for our industrial capacity to be shipped offshore along with the quality jobs. We didn’t ask for a third of the population to be on welfare.

My parents and I voted straight Republican our entire lives because we were promised they would preserve the America we grew up believing in.

We didn’t sell out our kids future for our present. We got sold out by Democrats embracing Communism and by Republicans leading us to believe they wanted the same thing for their kids future as we did for ours.

Everyone got sold out by the politicians and corporations—regardless of your generation.
View Quote

Your generation was in the positions of power for all of this. You maybe didn't ask for it, but you certainly didn't stop, and for the most part took the payoffs from the pharmaceutical companies to look the other way.

Industrial capacity was shipped offshore on your watch as well. You didn't ask for it, but again you looked the other way when leaders got massive bonuses because they reduced labor costs by going over seas and massive pay offs due to the rise in the stock price they had plenty of shares in.. Again all of these happened on your watch, your generation was in charge in the vast majority of power positions in corporate America, and government for all of this. Even if this was silent generation it was handed over to you all with every ability to change it, Instead you cashed in and sold everyone else out.

You can scream about not asking for it all you want, it all got much worse on your watch and thats a fact.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah. I really don't care. Nobody else's problems are mine and I'm barely able to financially support myself and can't currently provide for my own retirement, so I shouldn't be on the hook for someone else's.

Tough shit. Life sucks, then you die.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By WileyG27:
Exactly how did I do this?
View Quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_responsibility

Collectivists believe in collective responsibility/guilt.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By norseman1:

Still waiting for zoomers to put in a 40hr work week that doesn't involve them sitting around with their thumb's up their ass.

Article doesn't describe the dozens of trips/vacations she took or the $ wasted on useless shit.

I hear people say they are "just scraping by" when I suddenly see their FB and Instagram pages surrounded by mountains of shit they couldn't possibly afford.

Zero fucks given.gif
View All Quotes

Zero fucks given.gif

The class envy has gotten crazy here. I retired at 45, can't wait to hear how I didn't earn it and I'm a fucking boomer, even though I'm not even 50.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By OldGlazier:

That'll get a belly laugh from the boomer haters.
View Quote

Wishing ill on others and reveling in their struggles is an interesting reflection of the type of person they are.  And it's really sad, especially from a group who is known for having to live with their parents into their 40's.  They'll only have what they inherit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ad_nauseam:Retirement abroad is a thing and has been a thing for a long time now.  At least 30 years.
View Quote
 When I was young, Rhodesia was the mecca to retire to if you didn't have a lot of money.  School teachers flocked there.  Today it is called Zimbabwe.  Not a place you want to live.  South Africa used to be great.  Now, not so much.

Throughout history we have had many places.  In the last ten or twenty years people have been talking about retiring to Mexico or Costa Rica, but we see how Costa Rica has turned out, never mind Mexico!  Puerto Rico?  With the corrupt government?  In this hemisphere, maybe Columbia.  If you want to go to Asia, there are several former SSR countries that might be worthwhile, if you are willing to lower your standards a lot.  And not carry a firearm (which is pretty much everywhere except the US).
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#16]
"medical" industry in America exists to suck all your wealth out...

while it's rough for everyone out there....i bet she voted for all the bullshit that bankrupted her
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I have no intentions of ever retiring.  I intend on working as long as I physically can.  I will likely have the financial means to retire early though.  I intend on working as long as I can though in order to keep peace at home.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By manderson1911:Your generation was in the positions of power for all of this. You maybe didn't ask for it, but you certainly didn't stop, and for the most part took the payoffs from the pharmaceutical companies to look the other way. Industrial capacity was shipped offshore on your watch as well.
View Quote
Methinks you are blaming a generation rather than a political party.  Remember, there is not one single generation that determines an election, it is multiple.  Are you old enough to know this?  If not, should you be on arfcom?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By terryj:
Did anyone here get Enroned? Lots of retirement dreams shattered right there.
View Quote

I didn't get Enron'ed, but I got Dot Bombed when the dotcom bubble burst in 2001. We lost half our savings overnight.

We dumped that dumb bitch financial consultant and used an old Japanese woman at Chase Bank, and she worked miracles with the money we had left.

Twenty-three years later, we have a comfortable retirement.

But like any aged retiree, we're only one cancer diagnosis or heart surgery away from losing everything.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

Two people, both with cancer. That's going to eat up a lot of money.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Waldo:
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
Wait so I’m supposed to hate Boomers for stealing the future of the country or feel bad when some of them are still broke at their age despite having lived during a very prosperous time in America? Which is it?

Two people, both with cancer. That's going to eat up a lot of money.

Obama care should have fixed that
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ScopeEye:Obama care should have fixed that
View Quote

Obamacare was a scam.  People would pay $5,000 a year for the lowest level of insurance that would cover $7 a month birth control pills.  (Upper tiers were $7K or $9K).  Remember the grad student named F*** who couldn't afford $7 a month birth control but could afford graduate school and $5,000 a year for Obamacare?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By CaliContractor:

The class envy has gotten crazy here. I retired at 45, can't wait to hear how I didn't earn it and I'm a fucking boomer, even though I'm not even 50.
View All Quotes

Zero fucks given.gif

Hell, I congratulate people who have retired early.

And for the common schlub, want to retire early, don't get divorced if married or never get married and stack loads of cash into retirement programs while you are as young as possible. Get a couple hundred K stacked back by 30 and let it work it's ass off for you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#23]
My father just turned 88 & is still working full time. Having said that while I think he would take reduced hours for the sake of his body I don't think he'd want to retire entirely. Either way, he can't quit.

My parents have no money.

Neither do I.

Either way, we SHTF or the tyrannical state gives us suicide machines.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:35:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bat15] [#24]
Originally Posted By SlipRing:
The boomers lived in a far easier economic environment than any of their successors. I have little sympathy for their retirement issues.
View Quote

Sure we did. If you believe that, I have a nice toll bridge for sale.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By lokifox:

Take it now.

It takes 11ish years to break even if you wait until 67 vs. taking it at 62.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lokifox:

Take it now.

It takes 11ish years to break even if you wait until 67 vs. taking it at 62.

Wait until you are 70 to collect SS if you expect to live past 80. I retired at 66 and waited until I was 70 to collect SS. I get about 32% more than if I took it at 66. The COLA is based on your current benefit amount and 8.9% of the higher payment at 70 was nice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Investment guy was smart. Assuming you expect to live past 80, that 8% is great. Your investment results are dependent on how the market does. The 8% is guaranteed. You might come out ahead by investing but the odds are not with you. Did you ever read that little disclaimer, past performance does not guarantee future performance.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
Marcia is in her 70's and she's still working.

She clocks over 40 hours weekly in her salaried human resources role at a medium-sized company.

"As much as I love my job and what I do, in my darkest private moments, I think I'm going to die in this job. I'm going to die in this office because I have no way to get out," she said. For her, work means both dignity and a financial lifeline. She's far away from family and doesn't have help or a second income she can rely on.

One of the main reason she hasn't been able to retire is that she's been "overwhelmed" by medical bills from both her husband's cancer diagnosis   he died two years ago   and now from her own cancer diagnosis.

"I was hoping that my husband and I could retire together. And I guess my biggest misjudgment was I didn't plan on being alone financially, emotionally, and one could say I should have, but I didn't," she said.

Marcia is one of many retirees who feel left behind by the American dream's promise that a life of hard work would be rewarded with years of rest. Now, as with many traditional economic milestones, retirement has become a luxury reserved only for those who can afford it. More people over 65 are working as pensions disappear, people live longer, and Social Security benefits are seemingly always in peril.

It all points to a retirement crisis sweeping its way across the country. Business Insider spoke with several Americans of retirement age about why they are still trading their time for money. Their identities have been verified, but a few asked to go by their first names only to preserve their privacy.

"If I get the chance, I would like to help other people by sharing the experience and supporting people and maybe finding some solutions to these issues," Marcia said. "I think older people become very invisible, and maybe it's going to take other older people to help heighten that visibility."

moar
View Quote

People think I'm nuts when I tell them I want to be like my grandpa.

He worked painting houses till the day he died in his 70s.

I have to remind them "that means he was mobile, all there, and capable, right till the end."
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:53:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#28]
Originally Posted By Bat15:

Investment guy was smart. Assuming you expect to live past 80, that 8% is great. Your investment results are dependent on how the market does. The 8% is guaranteed. You might come out ahead by investing but the odds are not with you. Did you ever read that little disclaimer, past performance does not guarantee future performance.
View All Quotes

You ''might'' come out ahead but you may well be dead too and never see a dime. 10 years of partial SS beats zero years at full rate. And the government knows quite well when men tend to die. Go past 70 and they know you'll likely be dead before you break even with taking it early.

8% -5% in a CD right now or a decent ROTH and you MAY get 3% more waiting but you may get 0% of nothing if you die or a few years and nowhere close to breaking even.

77.28 years is the lifespan norm for US men right now. Think you'll win and beat the odds? If you do, will you actually be able to do a few things you wanted to do if you retired at 62 and took early SS?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SlipRing:
The boomers lived in a far easier economic environment than any of their successors. I have little sympathy for their retirement issues.

Those 14% house interest rates and 18% car rates [used for most poors] were great, 25% CC rates meant that we saved tons of coin and no CC rewards meant you got to pay every nickel of interest if you carried a balance.

But if the rust belt unemployment of 8-10% didn't make you rich, at least you knew your 13 weeks of UE was going to cover all your time off!

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DetroitSounds:

I don't take it personally since I'm far from a boomer, it's just hilariously misguided. The younger the generation, the more they play the victim. Hard to blame them really, they're just products of social engineering, and it's working beautifully.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pdm:

I never take the "boomer did this" comments personally. Young people are scared and frustrated so they lash out at whatever Gollum is available.   The world is changing rapidly and not for the best it seems so I do understand these fears.

The question is what do you do with this fear? Do you run in small circles and shout "Eeeeeahhhhh" or do you do something about it?  What actions you take will define you.

I don't take it personally since I'm far from a boomer, it's just hilariously misguided. The younger the generation, the more they play the victim. Hard to blame them really, they're just products of social engineering, and it's working beautifully.
I'd say the Boomer generation currently has the biggest hand in where the USA stands now, from culture to taxes to whatever else. They're the most wealthy and powerful generation, and no doubt you'd hear a lot of crowing if we agreed that everything was peachy. Furthermore, Boomers in general love to talk shit about Millennials, otherwise known as the very children they themselves raised lol... So the clapback is 100% predictable That's not to say all boomers are bad, and in fact I'm sure I'd like and admire most of the boomers on arfcom. But the simple truth is that each generation, while in power and able to influence, is "responsible" for the outcomes of the country.  No victimhood here, just simple truth.

In fairness though, that torch of power and influence is being passed to Gen X and Millennials as we speak, and that means my generation is next up for blame assignment, such as it is.

Personally I probably didn't do enough change culture or government, and neither did Gen X as a whole. So all the boomers can sleep well knowing the blame can and will be passed to X shortly
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#31]

People really think Boomers "Did this" How so? I'm no Boomer but how can you blame Boomers for existing in the climate created by the masters of the universe? What tangible steps would Boomers have had to take to not "Do this"?
View All Quotes

People really think Boomers "Did this" How so? I'm no Boomer but how can you blame Boomers for existing in the climate created by the masters of the universe? What tangible steps would Boomers have had to take to not "Do this"?

Because the renters HAVE to blame someone else because they lived large and didn't prepare for retirement.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ScopeEye:

Obama care should have fixed that
View Quote

ACA/Obamacare limited the max out of pocket to $9100 in 2023.  I'm sure the limit is higher this year.  But being out $10K for a year of cancer treatment is much better than facing the sticker price from the hospital.  I've not yet seen a hospital that won't knock off 50% and give you a multi-year payment plan if you ask.  (50% off seems like a bargain, but considering an insured person will pay the max allowed by the insurance company contract, it's usually more like 80-90% off.)

I'm thinking a common denominator in these tales of woe are people who are uninsured, or critically underinsured.  Husband dies, wife has never worked and is now broke because they couldn't afford $300/yr for life insurance.  Or they decide to skip even catastrophic health insurance.  I could have done that myself for the last 30 years, like most young people we never had any serious health problems.  But lucky me, it's only March and I think I've already made all the premiums back  I'd be well on my way to Monica-hood if I had decided to skip health insurance this year and go to Disney instead.

Super poor means you get free health coverage.  Super rich and you can cover your insurance easily.  Everybody in the middle has a choice to make. choose wisely

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Zero fucks given.gif

Boomer isn't necessarily an age, it's a mindset

No envy here. I'd love to retire at 45 but I don't want to work that hard. My career has been focused on finding a field I enjoy, and locating the job within that field which allows me to hit my financial goal while minimizing the amount of actual work I perform.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By R_S:
Don't worry Marcia, Brandon is bankrupting the entire country:

CBO Director Warns Of Debt Market Meltdown With US Debt On "Unprecedented" Trajectory
View Quote

The debt spiral is absolutely terrifying and if more Americans truly understood it (even in the most basic of terms) shit would get real right quick...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By HLB0302:
I’m 36 and often think I will die at the office.
View Quote

You should be so lucky.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:28:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Justintime2] [#36]
Originally Posted By manderson1911:

Your generation was in the positions of power for all of this. You maybe didn't ask for it, but you certainly didn't stop, and for the most part took the payoffs from the pharmaceutical companies to look the other way.

Industrial capacity was shipped offshore on your watch as well. You didn't ask for it, but again you looked the other way when leaders got massive bonuses because they reduced labor costs by going over seas and massive pay offs due to the rise in the stock price they had plenty of shares in.. Again all of these happened on your watch, your generation was in charge in the vast majority of power positions in corporate America, and government for all of this. Even if this was silent generation it was handed over to you all with every ability to change it, Instead you cashed in and sold everyone else out.

You can scream about not asking for it all you want, it all got much worse on your watch and thats a fact.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

Bullshit! We didn’t ask for Obamacare. We knew the evil that is National Healthcare. We didn’t ask for processed foods and the pharmaceuticals necessary to keep people alive after living on said processed foods.

We didn’t ask for our industrial capacity to be shipped offshore along with the quality jobs. We didn’t ask for a third of the population to be on welfare.

My parents and I voted straight Republican our entire lives because we were promised they would preserve the America we grew up believing in.

We didn’t sell out our kids future for our present. We got sold out by Democrats embracing Communism and by Republicans leading us to believe they wanted the same thing for their kids future as we did for ours.

Everyone got sold out by the politicians and corporations—regardless of your generation.

Jesus dude, your response to him is pure bullshit and some of the worst tripe I've heard in awhile that wasn't N_T bullshit...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By nomad07:
"medical" industry in America exists to suck all your wealth out...

while it's rough for everyone out there....i bet she voted for all the bullshit that bankrupted her
View Quote

True statement...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By dannylgriffin:

This.  So much this.  (I hate to quote myself).  Why are people so stupid?  Did you do an Excel spreadsheet graph of Social Security?  I'm assuming not or else you would NOT have chosen the route you did.  Waiting to collect SSA benefits are for people too stupid to know math.
View All Quotes

Yes, this. The break-even analysis results of looking at age to take SS to determine when you can retire because you'll need that money to pay your bills is one thing you should look at. If you have substantial savings and can pay your bills (from that savings and the dividends) so will retire early (before you start claiming SS), there is a separate analysis as to when you should start taking SS, that could very well tell you to take it at 62.

I already called it quits at 53, and with my very conservative returns projection, if I waited until 67 to take SS, I wouldn't ever have higher net worth (than if I took SS at 62). I'll need to look at it again before I get to 62, just to account for any anomalies between now and then, though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Methinks you are blaming a generation rather than a political party.  Remember, there is not one single generation that determines an election, it is multiple.  Are you old enough to know this?  If not, should you be on arfcom?
View Quote

Disagree. Boomers just on sheer size are larger by a good bit than the other generations and can sway things their way. On top of that they never ever let go of power, they just sit in roles LOOOOOOONG past they they are practically impactful just look at congress right now its the oldest ever.

Proud of you for figuring out how to post here though old man. I was expecting to get a few stone tablets with responses in the mail.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Justintime2:

Jesus dude, your response to him is pure bullshit and some of the worst tripe I've heard in awhile that wasn't N_T bullshit...
View Quote

LOL You responding emotionally with name calling instead of fact based response says everything. Fact this country went to absolute shit while the "me first" boomers where on watch. Fact.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#41]

LOL You responding emotionally with name calling instead of fact based response says everything. Fact this country went to absolute shit while the "me first" boomers where on watch. Fact.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Justintime2:

Wrong, the silent generation and the ''greatest'' generation were some commie acting and voting SOB's. Almost all the total shit govt programs were introduced and passed on their watch.

Unless boomers somehow have a 50 year generation unlike everyone else.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Nobody owes you retirement.

Sorry for the outcome, but you are not owed a cushy life no matter how many years youve been on this earth, you can only hedge your bets to have a better outcome. Its sad and many have difficult lives.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I feel bad for her.  Some people do not come from a financially sound background and the cancer treatment payments can really fuck her.  A lot of people my age will be in her situation.  Life happens.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

You are posting sweeping generalizations involving every single person born between 1945 and 1965. Every. Single. One.
Tens of millions all conspired together and acted in unison to make you sad.

that is not "fact". There is nothing there that can be considered a "fact". It is not quite as bad as the numerous members of your religion that claim that people born in 1964 voted for Kennedy, but it's up there.

Here's your golden opportunity to right the ship:

Millenials and zoomers with GenX can all conspire together as the boomers allegedly did and fix everything.

Instead we get:
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#45]
"I'm going to cash out my 401K and never save a dime.  Social Security will take care of me."  
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#46]

Zero fucks given.gif
View Quote

Everyone knows people like that.  New car all the time, refi and HELOC everytime the house is worth a few more pennies.  Hawaii vacation every year.  "I'm so broke."  I know two women exactly like this.  One won't answer the phone because of bill collectors.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#47]
I am almost 49. Life circumstances. Poor early financial education and now an adoption...I probably won't be able to retire.

My fault. My 4 year is worth every penny. However adoption loans suck.

But if I could invest the money the .gov steals from me for social security...I could... if I cloud have invested from the beginning...I probably could have now!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By VACaver:

Yep.

I make more now than I did before I retired, and have no need to touch my retirement savings.

Planning ahead is key.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VACaver:
Originally Posted By EDDIECRUM:
Older boomer here. Plan for your future. No one is going to do it for you. No pensions for my wife or myself. I was self employed most of my life. We make as much and sometimes more than when we were working because we planned our retirement.

Yep.

I make more now than I did before I retired, and have no need to touch my retirement savings.

Planning ahead is key.

I have to take take money out of my retirement savings per federal law. Don’t really need it, and just reinvest it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#49]
The end of pensions was supposed to mean the retirement investment would stay with the worker through a career rather than with the company. Unfortunately people have less long term orientation than needed and financially the middle and lower classes are making less and less for decades. Retirement is the last line on the list of monthly bills and many can't get to it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:09:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MaximusEmanatus] [#50]

View Quote

That's not accurate at all.

It was the younger generations who supported Obama and wanted Obamacare.  Obama's popularity was always higher with the younger groups.  They were the only ones dumb enough to believe him.  The younger generations currently support big government and socialism.  They want something for nothing, like student loan forgiveness.  

Medicaid\Medicare expansions and prescription drug benefits were passed at the demand of the WWII generation, who was NOT the greatest.  Tom Brokaw named them "The Greatest", not because they won the war, but because they won the war and built Johnson's Great Society.  He said as much, and a bunch of pseudo patriots deify that generation because of that.  The negative effects of the Great Society weren't immediate, but long lasting.  The true Greatest Generation would be the Revolutionary Generation.

The exportation of America's industrial base started under Bill Clinton with NAFTA, in the early 90's, when the WWII generation was still running the country.  Unfortunately, they were the first generation to live so long, thanks to medical advancements.  Clinton's popularity was also highest among young people, who elected him.  "Rock The Vote".  GHW Bush couldn't get NAFTA passed, and it took Clinton to get it done.

Ever heard of Diane Feinstein?  WWII generation.  Bob Dole?  WWII.  Robert Byrd?  WWII.  Harry Reid?  WWII.  GHW Bush, WWII.  All those old Senators were WWII.  Those Senators are finally gone, or last legging.  They certainly weren't boomers.

Chuck Schumer is a boomer, but he's only been in power a couple years.  

As far as exporting American jobs, most CEOs and BODs have a fiduciary duty to do what is in the best interest of the company and it's stockholders.  If they don't, they can be prosecuted or lose their job.  Medtronic moved it's world HQ to Ireland because it could save a few billion $$ in taxes every year.  Those tax rates were put in place by the WWII generation and Clinton era government.  The current younger generations support tax and spend because they want what others have earned, which is why they vote mostly democrat.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top