Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:13:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: feetpiece] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Looks like a late 80's Ranger so I'm old enough to have been in that pic.

Live Oak isn't safe enough to let kids ride around like that anymore. There was a church van unloading a platoon's worth of TCN's into Walmart a couple of Sundays ago.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:14:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#2]
Originally Posted By BloodRaven:

Can't count the number of times I rode in the back of a pickup truck...at highway speeds (50/60 +)...for well over 40 miles or more. And I've ridden sitting down, laying down, and standing up while hanging onto the light bar.

Good times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CTM1:

No, but I did ride in the back of an El Camino once and shortly after a kid from HS was thrown out of the back of one and died.

Can't count the number of times I rode in the back of a pickup truck...at highway speeds (50/60 +)...for well over 40 miles or more. And I've ridden sitting down, laying down, and standing up while hanging onto the light bar.

Good times.

I remember me, my cousin and my brother riding in the back of my dad’s pickup, standing up in the bed and holding onto the roll bar, the wind in our faces, head and shoulders above the roof.

As we approached some railroad tracks, dad would yell through the sliding window, “OK, you kids hold on tight, back there!”, and he’d hit that bump and we’d catch some air in the back of the pickup, laughing and screaming with glee, “AGAIN! AGAIN!”, so dad turned around and hit it again, then turned around back the way we were originally going and hit it one more time. I think we were 8, 9 and 10 (cousin was right between me and my older brother, in age, and in the back of the pickup).
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SystemFailCoreDump:
1984 happened when we weren't looking.
View Quote

1984 was a documentary the day it was written
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

Did you ever get to ride in one of these?

https://en-academic.com/pictures/enwiki/49/1931_Ford_Model_A_roadster_rumble_seat.JPG
View Quote

As a matter of fact, yes, I have. One of Dad's friends had restored a Model A and drove it in local parades.
I've also driven a Model T. It's not as hard as it sounds once you've "shifted the gears" a few times.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:26:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#8]
Originally Posted By Jackslack:

The 90's were nothing compared to the mutha fuggin 80's, Best decade in the history of mankind.
View Quote

I'll take the '50s any day.

On the other hand, we had those little triangle-within-the-circle CONELRAD icons on radio dials.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#9]

The arcade scene in T2 always brings back memories of those days.

Hanging out at the arcade with friends. Chilling at the mall…

Haven’t had any desire to go to a mall since the 90s.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Frank_B:

I'll take the '50s any day.
View Quote
< libshithead> buh buh whuddabout blacks and women and lgbtqwtfbbq???!!!!!" < /libshithead >

I was a '70s kid / '80s young adult. Loved it, but my mother said the '50s were an incredible time to grow up in.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
It think it's just more of humans thinking the grass is always greener and never being happy with what they have.

People wanted to be connected.  Pagers sold like crazy and then cell phones changed the world.  They were not forced upon us.  There is was no law passed that said you had to buy a cell phone.  We WANTED them...a lot, most everyone who could buy one did and those wouldn't couldn't, they didn't celebrate that.  They wished they could.  Being "disconnected", when it wasn't optional, sucked.  If not having cell phones was truely better, we would just do that.  It's not like we didn't have a choice and we can certainly still make that choice right now.

If I were to bet though, you are going to not throw your cell phone in the trash after reading this and you are going to plug it in tonight when you go to bed, to make sure it's working for you tomorrow.  I would bet this because in reality, for reals and not arfcom GD talk, it's a lot better with than without.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

I agree, but I think it's deeper than that. I think a lot of it stems from feeling kind of boxed in by the world. It feels a LOT smaller than it did before the internet and cell phones existed. You have to plan it out and then force yourself to be "disconnected" now when it was just the standard way of living 25-30 years ago.
It think it's just more of humans thinking the grass is always greener and never being happy with what they have.

People wanted to be connected.  Pagers sold like crazy and then cell phones changed the world.  They were not forced upon us.  There is was no law passed that said you had to buy a cell phone.  We WANTED them...a lot, most everyone who could buy one did and those wouldn't couldn't, they didn't celebrate that.  They wished they could.  Being "disconnected", when it wasn't optional, sucked.  If not having cell phones was truely better, we would just do that.  It's not like we didn't have a choice and we can certainly still make that choice right now.

If I were to bet though, you are going to not throw your cell phone in the trash after reading this and you are going to plug it in tonight when you go to bed, to make sure it's working for you tomorrow.  I would bet this because in reality, for reals and not arfcom GD talk, it's a lot better with than without.

Yeah, no shit. People want a lot of things that aren't necessarily good for the human spirit. There are good sides and bad sides to all human advancements.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

How many scars do you have on your shins from these:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/26696/e7cb5ebe-47d8-4510-a245-e758d1a8ae6c5e949991ec.jpeg
View Quote

I'm pretty sure my tibia are permanently pocked by those.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#13]

I remember 18.9 cents at ESSO.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Last summer I discovered that my chimney was falling down.  I had a HELL of a time finding a mason who would bother even giving me a quote.  Most were so busy they didn't even bother returning my call or giving me an actual quote that I could sign.  I basically waved my money at anyone with "mason" for a title that would listen to me.

The guy I finally got to fix it had a cell phone but it was not a smart phone and as far as I can tell, had no internet.  It only made phone calls and sent texts.  He accepted no credit cards, payment was check or cash only.  He was crazy busy and I got lucky that he was in my area already doing a larger job and made time after to swing by for a few days and knock out my problem.  

I am a software developer that works from home with a college degree and many years experience.  I did the math and old guy brick layer out there with his freakin flip phone and no social media presence....I had to pay him more per hour than I make per hour.

Go tell him you can't make good money and have a family, life etc without modern tech.  I don't think he knows.
View Quote

Oh sure. I'm sure this young man and his new business has used no technology made after 1985 to start this business and raise his family that he started in the modern world. Right?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

View Quote

I miss roaming the mall with my friends in the 80s

Wouldnt go near one these days

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#16]
...If I were to bet though, you are going to not throw your cell phone in the trash after reading this and you are going to plug it in tonight when you go to bed, to make sure it's working for you tomorrow.  I would bet this because in reality, for reals and not arfcom GD talk, it's a lot better with than without.
View Quote

I retired before cell phones became available. I did buy a flip phone and have never upgraded to a smartphone and I don't leave home without it in my pocket. Too many things can go wrong these days.
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:53:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#18]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Yep. Riding in the back of my uncle's Ford to go fishing at a country lake that has long since been filled-in and the land converted to a suburban business park.

Progress and time march on.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:55:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#20]
Originally Posted By Lone_Gringo:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/466249/1ck7pmlk7xp81_jpg-3171137.JPG
View Quote
There is a mall nearish me that has a movie theater attached to it. The theater is still in business and playing new releases but the mall itself is mostly closed.  The main big hallways are open but the stores themselves are all gated, lights off and empty shelves.  So you can go see a movie and walk around an "open" but deserted mall.  

The theater also gives no fucks about what you bring in.  You can show up with a cooler of soda and whole cooked chicken to carry to your seat and I don't think they would blink an eye.  It's all very weird and I don't understand how they are keeping the lights on.  I suspect it won't be for much longer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Jackslack:

The 90's were nothing compared to the mutha fuggin 80's, Best decade in the history of mankind.
View Quote

I was around in the 80s as well. I’ll take either one over the shitshow we’ve got right now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#22]
1984 was a hellishly great year to be a young guy in his 20s.  

But, Orwellian 1984 started hitting around 2001 (Patriot Act) and was cemented in place by the advent of social media.

The two youngest generations right now don't have any concept of, or much belief in, privacy; it's a foreign notion to most of them, a stupid thing that old people believed.

It only took about 20 years for Americans to be brainwashed out of ever uttering the statement "because it's none of your effing business."
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Beat. Only I had a steel pot in basic
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:43:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#26]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

I agree, but I think it's deeper than that. I think a lot of it stems from feeling kind of boxed in by the world. It feels a LOT smaller than it did before the internet and cell phones existed. You have to plan it out and then force yourself to be "disconnected" now when it was just the standard way of living 25-30 years ago.
View Quote

I have posted about it before, but I know a Ukrainian woman who, when I lost spoke with her in late 2022, was in western Russia somewhere near the border with Ukraine, her, her son, mom and brother.  I worry for her, knowing what has been happening to people like her there, being thrown into prisons over things as small as using the word war for the war.  

I never would have found her again if not for finding her Facebook page.  We were able to talk in real time, from half a world away, and pretty much whenever we were both awake, thanks to having smartphones.  I am so glad I found her, but could also be living in blissful ignorance if I never knew she was there.  

I wonder what World War II would have been like, just if they had smartphones and internet access, not even considering the ability to spy and gather intelligence such things afford, but just from the perspective of people with friends/family overseas, and how it would have been if you knew someone in Poland or France or someplace that would become a battlefield.  

It’s also interesting to think how it may have changed the perspective of people in the US on foreign intervention.  Lots of massacres and of course the holocaust didn’t come to light until usually years after they had occurred.  To an extent that has likely been happening now, but it’s harder to hide such things in the present time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:33:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#31]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
I did get to deliver Sunday newspapers out of the back of one of these...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/334993/1988_Ares_K_Wagon_jpg-3171067.JPG
View All Quotes

Did you ever take your date to the drive in and park on the back row with her in one of these?

How I didn't end up a High School Dad - I'll never know.

If we wanted to find the action or who has having a party, we'd cruise to find out friends.

Phones had cords or you had coins.

Now kids never get off line and miss so much of the Real World.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Or camped out at night on the weekends and rode to town at night
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By cayman_shen:

No, Brave New World happened. We're controlled by comforts, not intimidation.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:43:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#35]
Early 70's. I remember my Dad being angry when they started making expensive unleaded gasoline mandatory.
He bought an adapter so our newer car could use the leaded gas pump with the bigger pump spout.
Newer cars were made with a smaller gas filler hole to force you to use the more expensive unleaded gas. We thought 80 cents a gallon for premium was outrageous.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SystemFailCoreDump:
1984 happened when we weren't looking.
View Quote

@SystemFailCoreDump

Not 1984, Brave New World.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#38]
LoL

Y’all act like running water has always been a thing and Indian attacks were just stuff that happened on TV
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#40]

I bought a Ford F250 with the new 7.3L powerstroke when it first came out in 1995.   (I loved that truck and was really sad to see it go away, all rusted out).
But the first time I filled those tanks up, diesel was just $0.95 a gallon.  It was actually cheaper than regular 87 octane in PA then.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:03:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kashtin] [#41]
On second thought, better not!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#42]

That faggot ruined our country.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#43]

I was only 9 when it happened, but every time I see the twin towers in pics or movies I get goosebumps.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:

There was nothing quite like getting frisky with some young lady in the back of a pickup (under a blanket) while your buddy hauled ass down the road.... knowing that if he got in a wreck, you were gonna end up as pavement pancake. Oh well....

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:

Good times.

There was nothing quite like getting frisky with some young lady in the back of a pickup (under a blanket) while your buddy hauled ass down the road.... knowing that if he got in a wreck, you were gonna end up as pavement pancake. Oh well....

Or you are banging a hot chic in the back of a pickup with your buddy driving and he gets pulled over for spending. DPS Trooper walks up the truck and he is the hot chic's uncle.  

I really at that time though I was going to get killed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By JustDaniel:
It’s ironic that in no time in human history has there been a higher standard of living yet people seem to more unhappy than ever before. If we would all learn to appreciate the simple things in life and stop worrying about every single headline and social media post we’d probably be better off
View Quote

Modern social media has been detrimental to our society.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

LOL at the fat kid on the left.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

One by me just closed it's doors for good. No idea what's gonna happen to the property though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:17:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W202fan90] [#48]
Originally Posted By _DR:
Early 70's. I remember my Dad being angry when they started making expensive unleaded gasoline mandatory.
He bought an adapter so our newer car could use the leaded gas pump with the bigger pump spout.
Newer cars were made with a smaller gas filler hole to force you to use the more expensive unleaded gas. We thought 80 cents a gallon for premium was outrageous.

https://i.postimg.cc/gjTJVGJ4/69e59c17d0400cc34d0f3d275b52316e.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/kMy9kQQC/gt.jpg

View Quote

I took this at a southern AL/MS station in June of 2020.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#49]
I've lost a few layers of skin as a kid on a hot summer day.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By McGuy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By McGuy:

I hated Putt Putt golf, my dad would drag us to that every Sunday after church.  I guess he thought just because he loved playing golf us kids did too.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top