BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
They really push the apps because of the telemetry and tracking data they gather about you. You might only use the app once a week for a fast food order, but that thing is running in the background 24/7 gathering data points on you.  Selling that data is an additional way to make money off people.

No thanks.
View Quote

Indeed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RTX:
Sounds as if those people just need more help in these difficult times. I wonder if we could try an EBT-type card for them to swipe at fast food places only? Maybe give them an extra 2-300 bucks a week on that card to help them get through this? Seems the right thing to do.
View Quote

Pfffft.  

Just sign them up for three shifts a week so they can get a free employee meal when working.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#3]
"Hey, welcome to Jizzle Burger can I take it's order today?

"Yeah, huh, give me the motherfucking bug burger combo wit okay?"

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Need more lab grown 3D printed meat
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Food has gone up 20% since 2021 my ass.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:

Is my sarcasm meter broken or was this post actually serious?
View Quote

It’s broke as shit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Naffenea:
I laugh at the thought 50k is low income.

Also, no two burger and a drink combo should cost $30.

So any fuck nugget McD manager, the fastest way to cut prices is to get your drinks down to under a dollar. No way that syrup costs you $3 a cup.
View Quote

Drinks were always the profit center.  

I remember in the 80’s we analyzed what a soda costs versus what the company pays for it.  

Back then iirc the numbers were something like.....
$0.03 for flavored syrup
$0.0005 water
$0.0005 gas for the bubbles
$0.007 for the cup, lid and straw

$$0.11 cost, price for customer was $0.89
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
Do we have a "no shit, sherlock" emoji?
Fast food joints want to charge you $3 for a drink?  The majority of their cost is in the cup.  They have $0.15 invested in it, and want to mark it up 2000%.

A combo meal shouldn't be $12, $15, or $20 like it is getting in some areas.

And lets not even get into them hiring the stupidest, slowest humans on the planet.  Even when you order ahead on the app and tell them to start making the food, it still takes them 30 minutes to make a whopper and fries and hand it to you through the window.  You already took away all the punching in the order on the cash register and counting money and these dumb fucks still cant figure it out.
View Quote

You aren’t paying for the shit food, you are paying for the $15-$20 per hour employees plus unemployment insurance. FICA, healthcare, property rent / mortgage, electric and heat, insurance etc. and all that shit has gone up in price too.

Fast food restaurants are going to die a slow death.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Biden said the economy is great.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Orion10182011:
The gap between the cost of fast food and a nice sit down restaurant has really narrowed.
View Quote

Exactly my take.   Why on earth would I get processed to the lowest price point crap from a clown when I can go get sushi or sit at a real food diner.  

Fast food prices are about the same as better quality food.  My problem with McDs is the price increase in part but more that they lowered the quality so much I don’t like it anymore, it doesn’t even rate as a guilty pleasure.   My last couple grab and go meals were sausage biscuits and a coffee.  They shrunk the sauasage to a tiny thin patty and the flavor is off, sour tasting.  I am a pig and I like nearly all food, I did not like what I got.  The only thing left there I like I guess is the coffee, which coincidentally is the only thing I bought there the last time I was there to meet a guy to buy an item.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I never noticed the gender neutral LEO's:

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By djkest:
It's really hitting small breweries / wineries as well. Seeing a big slump in business.
View Quote

It is hitting almost all disposable income businesses. As prices go up, and their pay doesn’t, they make choices. They spend the same amount of money but that same amount of money buys less stuff so less stuff gets sold.

Most of the US economy is stuff people don’t need.

Restaurants, hotels, bars, vacation spots are all going to have a difficult time as more people don’t have the money to do that stuff. That is the problem with a service industry driven economy.

We are in for very hard times.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
Fuck these prices.

I have cut back my eating out by 75%.  All restaurants.
View Quote

I cut 100%, but I absolutely hate eating out.

Even good restaurants the food is shit, full of sugar and seed oils and too much salt.

Even salads suck and are full of wilted and slimy greens.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Lol "APP-DRIVEN DISCOUNTS"

They meant to say PII harvesting discounts.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#15]
We’re not rich, but we’re well ahead of that $50k number and we can’t afford to eat out.

I love how these articles and studies soft sell these issues or discuss it 6 months after it’s been a problem.

“Hey you guyzzz, guess what? Household debt levels are starting to rise and credit scores are starting to go down!”

“Hey you guyzzzz, guess wut?  Families across the country have less savings because they’re starting to make a dent in their covid stimulus money!!”

“Hey you guyzzz, gess wut? The federal government is starting to notice that some companies are laying off workers!!”

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:45:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ZuoZongtang:
Can SNAP be used at Mc Donald’s?
View Quote

All the fast food joints in my state accept an EBT card.  It makes my blood boil.  These lazy fucks get to eat expensive ass nasty food on my dime.  While I’m clipping coupons, and fumbling with stupid apps to save a few dollars at the grocery store.

Fuck the welfare state.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#17]
We are returning to the late 70's early 80's for restaurants.  You can go watch commercials on Youtube and see (like the Outback deal posted on page 1) sit down restaurants creating budget items as life preservers.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RTX:
Sounds as if those people just need more help in these difficult times. I wonder if we could try an EBT-type card for them to swipe at fast food places only? Maybe give them an extra 2-300 bucks a week on that card to help them get through this? Seems the right thing to do.

Meter is broken.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#19]
The gap between the cost of fast food and a nice sit down restaurant has really narrowed.
View Quote

This

Not only that. My local grocery store sells sushi. At basically restaurant prices and sometimes they seat there for a day, not exactly fresh.
Makes no sense. Just raised their price, pi$$ses me off.
Although rest. prices also went up, used to be able to get a salmon or tuna combo for under $20, now it's $25.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#20]
They really push the apps because of the telemetry and tracking data they gather about you. You might only use the app once a week for a fast food order, but that thing is running in the background 24/7 gathering data points on you.  Selling that data is an additional way to make money off people.

No thanks.
View Quote

Yep.  I dont download many apps.  I download some every now and then and delete it immediately after using it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
Fuck these prices.

I have cut back my eating out by 75%.  All restaurants.
View Quote

us too,  we hardly eat out at all now .im down to eating boiled eggs and a can of tuna for lunches.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#22]
“McDonald's franchisees drove prices up about 10% “

Ok…
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:
Maybe they will eat better food and be less fat but I doubt it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#24]

No thanks.
View Quote

Every business pushes their app. It’s absurd! I get asked continually “have you downloaded our app?” Fuck no and fuck off your spying. Websites push the app as well. I think people are finally understanding these apps are spying on them. Even normies.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Palm:
We have stopped all together going to “fast food” establishments. It isn’t because we can’t afford it; it is because we don’t see it as a good value. For example the wife and I ate choice ribeye last night. We each had 7 oz cut of a ribeye for $5 each. We baked a potato in the oven and grilled the ribeye on the bbq. It sure beats $15 each for a burger meal from a fast food joint.
View Quote

Similar situation at my house, but once in a blue moon the wife and I get a craving for Whataburger #2 with cheese.  Brought it home for like $32 something.  

I had been putting back packages of meat at the grocery store that I could afford, just wouldn’t buy on principle because the price is ridiculous.  Told my wife after paying $32 for burgers and fries for us, the meat that I had been putting back was not so ridiculously priced after all.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#26]
One of the restaurants we go to locally. It's not fancy, well it's Michigan-fancy: metal utensils. The food is good. I can hardly make it at home for less.

Last time I went there for lunch, it was under $20.

Why tf pay $15 for deep-fried processed junk?!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SAE:
"Hey, welcome to Jizzle Burger can I take it's order today?

"Yeah, huh, give me the motherfucking bug burger combo wit okay?"

View Quote
"Yeah that's....go away, 'baitin!"
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Mach:

You aren’t paying for the shit food, you are paying for the $15-$20 per hour employees plus unemployment insurance. FICA, healthcare, property rent / mortgage, electric and heat, insurance etc. and all that shit has gone up in price too.

View All Quotes
Fast food joints want to charge you $3 for a drink?  The majority of their cost is in the cup.  They have $0.15 invested in it, and want to mark it up 2000%.

And lets not even get into them hiring the stupidest, slowest humans on the planet.  Even when you order ahead on the app and tell them to start making the food, it still takes them 30 minutes to make a whopper and fries and hand it to you through the window.  You already took away all the punching in the order on the cash register and counting money and these dumb fucks still cant figure it out.

Just like American manufacturing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By pale_pony:
The problem with McDonald's is million dollar a year owners and their hundred thousand dollar a year managers
View Quote

No idea what McDonald's franchisees are told today regarding potential earnings but back in the early 91 you were told to expect to earn $100k working hard. There are laws governing what they can say regarding potential earnings but I knew from talking to a few owners it was better but not by much for their locations. The better money obviously came from owning multiple units.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:
Maybe they will eat better food and be less fat but I doubt it.
View Quote

Less salt is more important than less fat.
You could look it up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By konger:

Every business pushes their app. It’s absurd! I get asked continually “have you downloaded our app?” Fuck no and fuck off your spying. Websites push the app as well. I think people are finally understanding these apps are spying on them. Even normies.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By konger:

No thanks.

lol no they’re not and nobody is avoiding them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#32]
You don't have to be low income to not want to spend $40-$50 at a junky fast food joint to feed your family.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

Drinks were always the profit center.  

I remember in the 80’s we analyzed what a soda costs versus what the company pays for it.  

Back then iirc the numbers were something like.....
$0.03 for flavored syrup
$0.0005 water
$0.0005 gas for the bubbles
$0.007 for the cup, lid and straw

$$0.11 cost, price for customer was $0.89
View Quote

The cost is probably closer to $0.50 now. Cups, lids, and straws are all up quite a bit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

No kidding. Whether inflation, the effects of $15 minimum wage, greed, or all of the above, it's wild. I'm paying $45-60 to feed 3 people at someplace like Chipotle or Five Guys.

Actual example from my AO:

Local Sports Bar Chain
Cheeseburger (includes fries and a pickle) - $12.99
Soft Drink or Domestic Beer - $3.49
Total - $16.48
With (20%) tip - $19.80

Five Guys
Cheeseburger - $10.99
Fries - $4.99
Soft Drink - $2.99
Total - $18.97
With tip - $19-21 (Now they all seem to expect one, register prompting for at least 10-15% to throw your burger in a bag)

Prices are almost exactly the same, except at my local sports bar, I can sit and relax while I'm getting waited on, and have a beer for the same price if I like.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#35]
A Dominos large pepperoni is around $8 and can feed a small family. Way better.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:

Similar situation at my house, but once in a blue moon the wife and I get a craving for Whataburger #2 with cheese.  Brought it home for like $32 something.  

I had been putting back packages of meat at the grocery store that I could afford, just wouldn’t buy on principle because the price is ridiculous.  Told my wife after paying $32 for burgers and fries for us, the meat that I had been putting back was not so ridiculously priced after all.
View Quote

Your wife shouldn't be eating the same amount of food as you do, and she's certainly not entitled to fries with her meal. Getting her a Whataburger Jr. with no fries is more than adequate and will also save you some money. And even with that, don't allow her to eat the top bun. She doesn't need that much bread and the dogs will love it for a treat. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#37]
The vast majority of our dining out is Tex-mex.

$10-$15 for a big entree and I drink water.

Sometimes I’ll do a $8-$9 taco salad.

It’s cheaper, and far better, than fast food.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:15:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RealityCheck0311] [#38]

View All Quotes

BS

Half the hourly employees have been replaced by automated touch screens.

There is McDonald's all over the world that have higher minimum wage and better benefits yet lower menu prices than what we see here.

How is companies like In-N-Out able to pay MORE hourly (20ish), have better benefits, and their menu is half the price of McDonald's? And at In-N-Out, you have fast, smiling, efficient employees. I'll give you one guess...

The whole "Our prices are due to hourly wages" is just corporate bullshit.

There have been many economic studies showing raising the minimum wage should only effectively increase the prices of a burger less than .50 cents.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By callgood:
Link

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60489/Capture_JPG-3170705.JPG

SAN ANTONIO, Texas March 27 (Reuters) - Runaway prices at U.S. fast-food joints and restaurants have made people skittish down the income ladder and executives at chains including McDonald's (MCD.N), opens new tab and Wendy's (WEN.O), opens new tab recently said they worry about losing business from those on the tightest budgets.

Roughly a quarter of low-income consumers, defined as those making less than $50,000 a year, said they were eating less fast food and about half said they were making fewer trips to fast-casual and full-service dining establishments, according to polling in February by Revenue Management Solutions, a consulting firm.

The rising price of food is contributing to budget-conscious diners cutting back.

Whether consumed at home or in a restaurant, food prices rose 20% from Jan. 2021 to Jan. 2024, the fastest jump on record. A recent census Household Pulse Survey showed half of people earning less than $35,000 a year had difficulty paying everyday expenses, and nearly 80% were moderately or "very" stressed by recent price increases.

Lauren Oxford, a musician who works part time at a bed-and-breakfast in Tennessee, said she used to stop by McDonald's after running errands, treating herself to two double hamburgers, fries and a drink, for less than $5. As prices rose, she switched to smaller hamburgers and stopped getting the drink.

But after a year in which McDonald's franchisees drove prices up about 10% according to the company's executives, she's going to McDonald's less in general. "Now I don't know if I can justify that."

In the Fed's most recent Beige Book compendium of anecdotal reports gathered from business and community contacts around the country, 7 of 12 regional Fed districts reported low-income consumers were changing spending habits in search of bargains, seeking more help from community groups, or struggling to access credit.

About one-third of Black American households, and 21% of white American households, earned less than $35,000 in 2022, according to the latest available U.S. census data.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60489/Capture_JPG-3170707.JPG

For fast-food companies that often promote an image of affordability, low-income consumers are a significant portion of the customer base and a bellwether for longer-term trends. But they are typically the first to cut back spending and the last to come back.

But now, chains may be less likely to chase customers as hard as they have in the past because even with a drop in traffic, sales have remained consistent supported by increased prices.

Fast food companies aren't "in a hurry to take traffic over profit the way they were a decade ago," said Mike Lukianoff, CEO of SignalFlare.ai and a veteran consultant in the fast food industry.

For example back in 2008, Subway introduced its nationwide $5 footlong, which became the poster sandwich for the Great Recession. That spurred rivals to introduce extreme value deals for budget-conscious customers, such as "$5 Fill-Up Boxes" at Yum! Brands (YUM.N), opens new tab KFC.

In 2016, McDonald's, after a prolonged slump in sales, introduced a bundle deal it called "McPick 2", allowing customers to choose 2 items, like a McDouble, for $2. Within months, Wendy's offered a four for $4 deal. Burger King offered five for $4. Pizza Hut had a $5 "flavor menu."

APP-DRIVEN DISCOUNTS
Now, instead of across-the-board menu slashes and broad discounts, industry analysts say chains are being more selective, aiming them at specific demographics or limiting them to specific meal times or channels, such as its app or only through delivery.

McDonald's executives told investors in February that it would rely on its existing "value menu" to appeal to low-income consumers who might be tempted to eat packaged food at home instead. CFO Ian Borden said affordability is core to the brand, and the company would continue "evolving" its value offerings.

"The battleground is certainly with that low-income consumer," McDonald's CEO Chris Kempczinski told investors, referring to people making less than $45,000.

Wendy's recently introduced a limited-time $1 burger   available only through its app. Its CFO Gunther Plosch told investors in February that among lower-income customers, their traffic is down but their share with the general market is unchanged.

For major fast-food companies, loyalty apps are the go-to strategy among major brands to increase retention and the average amount of money spent. The upside for chains, David Henkes, senior principal with Technomic said, is that they capture more transaction data and demographic data for the consumer, "which is a trade-off many are happy to do."

For example, McDonald's frequently offers in-app discounts, such as 20% off an order or free delivery with a large enough order.

Domino's (DPZ.N), opens new tab halved the minimum purchase price to get points in its loyalty program, to $5 from $10, its CEO told investors at a conference in January. It also reduced the number of purchases needed to get a free pizza to as few as two from six. "And so essentially, for this lower-income consumer, we've made the brand more accessible," CEO Russell Weiner said.

To be sure, not every chain is seeing weakness among low-income customers. At Taco Bell, which sells a single taco for $1.40 at many of its stores in San Antonio, locations in low-income markets did better than other locations, Yum! CEO David Gibbs told investors in February.

McDonald's still holds its appeal for Andreas Garay, a retail worker eating at a McDonald's in westside San Antonio. He said he plans to keep his coffee-and-Big-Mac habit-- even if prices continue going up.
View Quote
Yeah, I used to hit the Wendy's pretty regular, but in the last 3 years, my typical double burger and large fries (no drink) went from under $7 to nearly $11. Fuck that. Not even the dollar menus at McD's has anything on it under $2.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#40]
That girl eats 2 McDoubles, a fry, and a drink for a meal?

I have abs. This is what I ate today:

-breakfast was coffee, home made breakfast sandwich with 1 egg, cheese, and 1 piece of bacon. 5 strawberries

-lunch a hamburger with water and an apple

-dinner was 5 chicken wings and 2 cookies and water

Stop eating for 2 people, damn.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Waldo0506:
That girl eats 2 McDoubles, a fry, and a drink for a meal?

I have abs. This is what I ate today:

-breakfast was coffee, home made breakfast sandwich with 1 egg, cheese, and 1 piece of bacon. 5 strawberries

-lunch a hamburger with water and an apple

-dinner was 5 chicken wings and 2 cookies and water

Stop eating for 2 people, damn.
View Quote

She likely had a diet soda so everything is alright.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Yup.  Along with a whole lot of other everyday things we have taken for granted for fifty years now.  Glad I got to live much of my life in the prosperous times...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Naffenea:
I laugh at the thought 50k is low income.

Also, no two burger and a drink combo should cost $30.

So any fuck nugget McD manager, the fastest way to cut prices is to get your drinks down to under a dollar. No way that syrup costs you $3 a cup.
View Quote

Covid Joe's NWO Economy
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Taco Bell had a line wrapped around the building at 0030 on a fucking MONDAY morning a few weeks ago when a co worker had to do see his mom in the ED after she suffered a stroke.  WTF is up with that?  Very, very telling of a shit load of societal issues we should have fixed decades ago.

I'll let the smarter folks figure it out I guess.  I'm too busy trying to maintain what was only a few years ago a comfortable middle class life for my family.  I can feel my status slipping away.  The Serenity Prayer helps a little.  Problem is, there aren't many things I can "change".  Getting stuck at every turn with "dealing with it" is getting very old.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By JellyBelly:
McDonald's food is too low in quality for the price.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Paul:
I won't compromise my privacy to use a discount app so a double burger with bacon, fries, and a coke are just under $20 now at Wendy's.

That was a day's take home pay when I first started working, but back then the minimum wage was $2.65 and that meal above was a $1.
View Quote

wow, what a reality check.

Meaning to keep up with inflation, min wage should be about $20? In terms of purchasing power.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Mike_314:
Imagine that, companies raise prices and people buy less.  Who'd have thunk it?
View Quote

Prices stay the same, it's the purchasing power of the 'dollar' goes down across the board.

Nobody.  Because nobody can link the declining purchasing power and the colossal national debt. They are in very much linked. It cannot be otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:13:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: justsayin] [#49]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't eat fast food that often anymore, but went through the Whataburger drive thru the other night and they got me for $13.50 for a #5 meal with sliced jalapeños.  3 years ago it was $7.50.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top