Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HDLS:
This thread is full of boomer luddites.
View Quote

Or people that don't work for other people.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By OSUBeaver:
I don't mind calls, but old people and their "detailed voicemails" can fuck right off.  I purposely left my VM not setup for like 15 years.  People are like "your voicemail doesn't work"....."yeah I know, that's intentional."

Now it automatically transcribes them so I can read them and not have to put up with... "uhhhhh yeah good morning Osubeaver, it's uhhhh Jack Mehoff and it's about 10...errr 10:13, uhhhh tuesday.  Uhhhhh can you give me a call when you get a chance I wanted to talk to you about.....I found out that......blah blah blah....."

View Quote

Osubeaver, it's uhhhh Jack Mehoff

You meant OR Duck right?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

lol

Office people.

I'm not going to schedule a zoom meeting if I'm on a jobsite and need to walk through a plan discrepancy.
View Quote

You can use zoom or teams on your phone.
but really at that point you may as well have just fucking called.

If there's anything more annoying than someone that has to have a call or zoom meeting instead of just sending an email it's someone who has to email to schedule a call or zoom meeting that could have just been a fucking email.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#4]

How does that somehow address the problem I described?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:
Texting is amazing for reference of info, but if you need to talk in real time it's stupid.

Like if reviewing something for work that needs clarification, it's best to walk through it with back and forth talking rather than trying to tap everything out on a screen.

Send E-mail

"Like if reviewing something for work that needs clarification, it's best to walk through it with back and forth talking rather than trying to tap everything out on a screen."

Depends I guess, what are you reviewing? plans of some sort? Would I have these plans in front of me? Did they originate from me? If you got them from someone else it would probably be good to forward them to me in an E-mail.

If you just need to know which way the stripes need applied on the candy, a phone call would be best in that situation..... For some.

But if the phone call goes something line this:

"Hey TZ, I am on job XY and I am looking at the plans I received from Jim and he told me to reach out to you with questions."

Then you should have just sent an E-mail with Jim's plan attached and a bullet pointed list of questions. I can't magically see what you are looking at through your phone voice.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#5]

"Like if reviewing something for work that needs clarification, it's best to walk through it with back and forth talking rather than trying to tap everything out on a screen."

Depends I guess, what are you reviewing? plans of some sort? Would I have these plans in front of me? Did they originate from me? If you got them from someone else it would probably be good to forward them to me in an E-mail.

If you just need to know which way the stripes need applied on the candy, a phone call would be best in that situation..... For some.

"Hey TZ, I am on job XY and I am looking at the plans I received from Jim and he told me to reach out to you with questions."

Then you should have just sent an E-mail with Jim's plan attached and a bullet pointed list of questions. I can't magically see what you are looking at through your phone voice.  
View All Quotes
Texting is amazing for reference of info, but if you need to talk in real time it's stupid.

Like if reviewing something for work that needs clarification, it's best to walk through it with back and forth talking rather than trying to tap everything out on a screen.

Send E-mail

More like we are down in the hole and the rebar schedules don't match.

"Hey Bob, what's our OC spacing under the storage walls? The schedule on page 16 doesn't match the specs on page 17."
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:53:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#7]
Originally Posted By ZW17:

That would be an email so I have documented what Bob said versus what the prints say.

“He said she said” is a dangerous game in our trades.

Document, document, document.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ZW17:

"Hey Bob, what's our OC spacing under the storage walls? The schedule on page 16 doesn't match the specs on page 17."

That would be an email so I have documented what Bob said versus what the prints say.

“He said she said” is a dangerous game in our trades.

Document, document, document.

I'm calling the dude that stamped the plans.

Usually the revision notes are in an email to everyone shortly afterwards.

We had the exact scenario last fall. I was doing a grid layout based on the plan as written. While thumbing through the steel schedule though it didn't match. Someone in the office basically copy and pasted a detail from a previous plan and didn't notice that it didn't match.

Called the PE for exactly what to do, was told to follow the detail, revised plans were sent to everyone that day with a new schedule.

The only reason I noticed is because the steel schedule quantities didn't match the width and the spacing requirements on the detail, they were about half as much, I didn't even see it when I bid it.

It required an answer RFN because I had guys there just standing waiting to mark bar and tie it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Text has it’s place but depending what you are doing a phone call is way more efficient.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Texting is for pics of work situations or a quote on a piece of equipment with tag or "where are you" or " are you busy".

Phone calls are for conveying long form information.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

Send E-mail

Well there ya go.... you needed to know where the stripes go on the candy for the most part. your phone call makes sense in that case.  But I would damn sure back that one up with an E-mail to cover ass for sure!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:38:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

the ground rules are set up with the meme. initial communication was text and boomer called back.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Obo2:
Originally Posted By rfoxtrot:
Some of the answers here are awesome.... lol.

Sad state of the world these days. Folks want an all or nothing communication solution.  There is so such thing. Different methods do different things. Some real primmadonnas out there for sure..... everyone out there that says "don't call me"....lol. If you're going to create demands for how communication exists, you need to set ground rules upfront......

Not setting up a voicemail for work???? How does that even work? Wut???

TLDR; people are becoming anti social. Plain and simple. The movie surrogates will be reality some day.

the ground rules are set up with the meme. initial communication was text and boomer called back.

Not implied. Explicitly requested. Those are two different things.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:43:49 AM EDT
[#14]

It works awesome.

To be fair, I don't have a customer facing position.  When I talk to customers, it's face to face and everybody in my company uses voice call, email, text or Slack IM.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rfoxtrot:

Not setting up a voicemail for work???? How does that even work? Wut???

It works awesome.

To be fair, I don't have a customer facing position.  When I talk to customers, it's face to face and everybody in my company uses voice call, email, text or Slack IM.

Ok. That makes more sense... but still...

I'm in squarely in the other category, and not a boomer..... I'm all for no F's given, but it gets kinda hard to take people serious when you can leave a voicemail... call me old fashioned. I use lots of text and lots of email. But more shit gets done on the phone any way you cut it. My perception might be skewed though since I'm in a people facing situation.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:48:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DirtyDirk:
text and emails can be misunderstood more easily than a person to person conversation (phone call included).
text and email are only advantageous in documenting.

Luckily I'm done working so its of no concern to me how it effects the work environment.

In a non-work environment I don''t do texts and will use email. Don't text cause I don't use a cell phone.
Biggest issue for me is selling stuff via the web. No text messages eliminates about 87% of the stupid not serious buyers.
I'll list my phone number and email. If someone calls they usually will show up and buy whereas email is more misses than hits.

As for communication between friends and relatives I have some who will text my wife to have her ask me something. My wife will ask me then text back.

If someone emails me it may take several days before I even see it. I may check emails 1-3 times a week is all.
I've got better things to do than open emails and texts with pictures of your latest meal.

View Quote

Email is the devil sometimes.  I've seen more problems and shit get started over poorly written emails or emails with shitty tone. Fuck around, the level of shit that can get started is unreal. Being cunty over email should never be the default option in case anyone is wondering.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:51:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Boomer:

Boy ain’t that the truth. I just had a situation about where to locate a new utility pole and street light, and 2 other different work groups were arriving at different conclusions than what I was asking for, even though I had accurately described it and used easy reference points. We finally had a boots-on-the-ground meeting and walked through the site. “Oh, THAT’S where you want it? That’s really easy!”

I don’t even know how they misunderstood the request so badly.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Boomer:
Originally Posted By DirtyDirk:
text and emails can be misunderstood more easily than a person to person conversation (phone call included).

Boy ain’t that the truth. I just had a situation about where to locate a new utility pole and street light, and 2 other different work groups were arriving at different conclusions than what I was asking for, even though I had accurately described it and used easy reference points. We finally had a boots-on-the-ground meeting and walked through the site. “Oh, THAT’S where you want it? That’s really easy!”

I don’t even know how they misunderstood the request so badly.

Man it happens all the time. Most people aren't that great of communicators all the time.  Even if your good at it, sometimes things can still go sideways. Lots of of please and thank you written at about a 5th grade level limiting the amount  of 3 syllable words seems to be the only sure thing I've found.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:54:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By st0newall:

we use teams. teams in is good for some things... however, you text me with an involved request, i ask for an email to proceed. if it looks like the text is going to be a back and forth for a while, i call you.

i hate texting on smartphones and mostly avoid it. would be a bit more acceptable if the phone had a physical keyboard. i used to buy phones that had keyboards until they were no longer available.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By st0newall:
Originally Posted By kcolg30:
I don't like text.

we use teams. teams in is good for some things... however, you text me with an involved request, i ask for an email to proceed. if it looks like the text is going to be a back and forth for a while, i call you.

i hate texting on smartphones and mostly avoid it. would be a bit more acceptable if the phone had a physical keyboard. i used to buy phones that had keyboards until they were no longer available.

Texting sucks a lot, but it does work really well sometimes. Sometimes it's superior. Teams is the 4th outer ring of hell for me in an organization that lives and dies by Microsoft and sap all the things.

FYI, most enterprise teams setups log the chat guys. Try not to do or say stupid shit there. It's all logged.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:58:18 AM EDT
[#18]

lol

Office people.

I'm not going to schedule a zoom meeting if I'm on a jobsite and need to walk through a plan discrepancy.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shazbat:

Schedule a meeting then with Teams or Zoom.

Never, ever, call.

There are 6 people allowed to call me, 4 of them know to text first most of the time.

I want my phone to have an allow list.

lol

Office people.

It blows. Sometimes there's no other way with the office crowd though. Allow time for logging in and have a secondary and tertiary system. Gets complicated sometimes no matter what. iPhone helps. iPad tied a good audio system so sometimes is salvation. All else fails, kill the data feed and go straight up call only.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:59:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By DubyaB:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DubyaB:
Originally Posted By HDLS:
This thread is full of boomer luddites.

Very this.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:14:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
Texting is way better.  If I  can't or don't want to answer a question,  I can just ignore it.  On a call, I'm stuck and backed into a corner if I am asked to explain something.
View Quote

Which is exactly why I'm calling.  Time is money, and I want the answer yesterday.

What is even worse is when half a dozen engineers are in a group email and take two or three days to solve a problem that could be worked out in five minutes face to face.  All this while the construction crew is costing us $750 an hour to sit with their thumbs up their asses while they Wait for an answer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:38:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PanelVanHalen] [#21]
Originally Posted By 3one5:

It is not an easy task on a flip phone, I get it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3one5:
Originally Posted By PanelVanHalen:
I have never texted.

It is not an easy task on a flip phone, I get it.

Lol, wrong.

Landline FTW.

Not entirely stone age, it's over the fiber internet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:52:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DubyaB] [#22]
Originally Posted By brass:
I find it ironic that the long desired video phones are in everybody's pocket, but they use it to send telegrams  instead.

Sci-fi book/movie backfire there.

View Quote

Well put!
People prefer using basically 1800s technology to communicate.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
Replace text with email, and this is me at work, especially with one or two people in particular.  They HATE typing.  If they receive an email, the first thing they do is reach for the phone.

I’m like “Bitch, you better be calling to tell me all your fingers are broken!”

The cousin of that is when someone sends me an email and then follows it up with a phone call 60 seconds later to see if I got their email.

“Did you get my email?!”
“Yeah, I was in the middle of reading it when you interrupted me with a phone call.”  
“Can I hang up and finish reading it, or should I just let you tell me what you typed?”
View Quote

I work at home, but I kept my old office number and my cell number.  They both ring to my cell.  I very often get 2 calls BTB
if I'm on the phone or hit ignore.  Then I have to hit ignore twice.  Most of the time it's long time clients that I have explained this to before.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top