BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
People can only comprehend 124 WPM in spoken English but can read 180-300 WPM.

I can converse comfortably at 165 WPM but people won't understand me and I may have to repeat myself.

I can type 128 WPM.

Assuming I'm conversing over IM with another fluent typist, I can actually be faster over IM as there is no need to repeat, nothing misinterpreted as they can read at their own pace (which is still faster than audible comprehension) and I have record of it.

It's not all bad.

Even if you're with a mediocre typist that can lay down 70 WPM you're still reading fast enough to make up the lag difference, and still get written record.

In practice I don't find it much slower.
View Quote

You can type 128 WPM on a cell phone?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Ilikepieman:
I do this to people all the time.  If you want to talk about something or have a question, pick up the phone and call.
View Quote

I'm not reaching for my phone at every notification. Need something they better call or wait for hours.  Maybe the next day. People are slaves to their phone, mindless robots who panic if they leave home without it
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:41:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#3]
Originally Posted By neostoicism:

You can type 128 WPM on a cell phone?
View Quote

Isn't your cell phone linked to a computer? It's 2024 bro.

Also a lot of people in this thread are talking work context as well. So IM (MS Teams, for example), is what I was talking about.

But I do have my phone linked to my computers. All my messages are on screen all the time so I don't have to bother pulling my phone out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:
@marie
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
Texting is amazing for reference of info, but if you need to talk in real time it's stupid.

Like if reviewing something for work that needs clarification, it's best to walk through it with back and forth talking rather than trying to tap everything out on a screen.
View Quote

Some things work well via text or email.   Some need a phone call or you'll be sending messages back and forth all day.   IMO use what's best for the issue at hand.  It's nuts to insist all communication occur with one method.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#6]
If you ask me to do something, I'm going to ask you to send me an email with the request so I remember. If it's not in my inbox, it's not that important.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
I have an older friend that if your text is more than 4 or 5 words he doesn't read it. He will call you and say what do you want
View Quote

that's awesome
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ZW17:
Here's the polite force continuum when it comes to getting a hold of someone

Email - Low priority, read it and respond when you have time.

Text - Medium priority, should be handled asap.

Phone call - I need your attention now, this is important.

Obviously there are exception to this rule, like large files that need emailed followed by a phone call, but for the most part, this is how I ask my employees to handle things before reaching out to me. I have one guy that refuses to email or text, and it's really annoying to have to stop what I am doing to pick up the phone for him and give a low priority issue all my attention.
View Quote
For me it's

Text -  Absolute lowest priority.  I might not see it for a day or two sometimes.
Email - Medium priority.  
Phone Call - High.

I pay very little attention to texts unless I know something important is coming in that way.  Important things come via email.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SteveJobs:
If you ask me to do something, I'm going to ask you to send me an email with the request so I remember. If it's not in my inbox, it's not that important.
View Quote

Yeah i usually end up having to email myself if I have a phonecall with a client so that it's actually in writing and starred for my shit I still need to do.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, who doesn’t want to spend five minutes texting back-and-forth when a 15 second conversation would cover it all?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Call, text, email.  Order of importance, response time is asap, <1hr, <2hr.

It's the ticketing system for my personal life and for my job, out of several dozen clients with a few hundred PC's to manage, it works fine.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I miss the days of only having a house phone. If I'm not home, leave a message and I'll call you back. I'm considering getting a "Light phone" or just a pager.

Being available 24/7 is an annoying obligation. My recent phone call history is mostly red.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DetroitSounds:
I miss the days of only having a house phone. If I'm not home, leave a message and I'll call you back. I'm considering getting a "Light phone" or just a pager.

Being available 24/7 is an annoying obligation. My recent phone call history is mostly red.
View Quote

If there was only a way around this issue.  When will they come up with a solution?  When?  When?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jhereg:
For me it's

Text -  Absolute lowest priority.  I might not see it for a day or two sometimes.
Email - Medium priority.  
Phone Call - High.

I pay very little attention to texts unless I know something important is coming in that way.  Important things come via email.
View Quote

By this example, all the calls I get about my truck warranty and head hunters must be high priority.  No wonder they call several times a day.  Yet I never answer, my bad.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#16]
This thread is full of boomer luddites.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I hate talking on the phone. The only person I call with any regularity is my mother.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Boomer:
Yeah, who doesn't want to spend five minutes texting back-and-forth when a 15 second conversation would cover it all?
View Quote
It's never just a 15 second convo. Ever.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:46:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#19]
Originally Posted By SteveJobs:
View Quote
If something is important to me, I will remember.  That's the reality.  If I have to say "send me an email", it's because it's not important to me.

It's not like I have to email myself to remember to go buy that video game or that gun or whatever that I want. I remember that shit without a reminder, no problem.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Texting is amazing for reference of info, but if you need to talk in real time it's stupid.

Like if reviewing something for work that needs clarification, it's best to walk through it with back and forth talking rather than trying to tap everything out on a screen.
View Quote

I need the paper trail, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:53:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#21]
Originally Posted By Ranxerox911:

I need the paper trail, unfortunately.
View Quote
Me too, but hashing it out over an email/text chain is often slower, less efficient and more annoying for everyone involved.   A phone call first, where we work out all the details, and THEN an email or ticket that summarizes what was decided to be the plan is quite often the best way.  The proverbial GD's "get both".

We didn't have to spend 23 emails/texts back and forth to have a conversation in slow motion and we also have the needed documentation.  Said ticket or email or whatever can be quickly drafted while on said phone call.  This is in fact sometimes preferred to confirm agreement on what the documentation should say and then boom, work can begin as soon as the phone call ends. All details are sorted and documentation is acquired in one single step.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By kcolg30:
I don't like text.
View Quote

When the keyboard reaches 15 inch laptop size then I may text. One buddy didn't know why every time he swiped the phone the caller would hang up. Turned out he swiped to the end call icon and shut them off.
But fucking A did he figure out how to text. I'll gt 20 texts when a simple 30 second call would cover everything.
Fuck texting.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 15jonshoot:

When the keyboard reaches 15 inch laptop size then I may text. One buddy didn't know why every time he swiped the phone the caller would hang up. Turned out he swiped to the end call icon and shut them off.
But fucking A did he figure out how to text. I'll gt 20 texts when a simple 30 second call would cover everything.
Fuck texting.
View Quote
If I am front of a computer, I am using an app on my computer to text.  I am reading my texts on my monitor and typing them on my keyboard.  Both Apple and PC have apps available for free that do this.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm Gen X, so I'm comfortable with both technology and social interaction.  Each has their place.  If I don't need a quick response or it's a yes/no answer, I'll text.  If it's something that requires a back-and-forth, I'm calling.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:04:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TODD-67] [#25]
Friends and Family = text

Wife = text every time or she will keep me on the damn phone forever despite her being on her way back home where she can talk in person in 30 minutes.

Anything business related I will not respond to texts. Either a phone call that is followed by an email summarizing the call or straight to an email conversation.

I have had way too many misinterpretations of intent with texts not to mention the 10x volley that usually takes place.

Suppliers as well as customers either figure it out or they drop off my communications.

I am comfortable conversing in all forms but each has their place.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ZW17:
Email - Low priority, read it and respond when you have time.

Text - Medium priority, should be handled asap.

Phone call - I need your attention now, this is important.
View Quote
Thats about how I rank it.

I work on a shop floor and dont have time to walk to the bosses desk or go find him if I have a road block, showstopper or just need to give him a headsup about something. Texting has revolutionized comms for me. Talking on the phone about something that can be handled by a quick text Ive found is always a moar better time saver.

A short response (solution) or "I'll be there in a min" is the norm.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tifosi:
Originally Posted By Boomer:
Yeah, who doesn't want to spend five minutes texting back-and-forth when a 15 second conversation would cover it all?

It’s never quicker to message back and forth. Ever.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:21:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ApacheScout] [#28]

View Quote
This. A simple, "I gonna be late" is great for texts. Often times I need to go over a variety of things with a client, I'm not fucking around texting, I'd be there all day and they still wouldn't understand what I'm talking about.
I can clear everything up with a 5 minute phone call and answer any questions in real time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#29]

I am going to throw a guess out there, but the people who feel this way, I bet they have a hard time chatting up a chick face to face also

seems to go hand in hand
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't mind calls, but old people and their "detailed voicemails" can fuck right off.  I purposely left my VM not setup for like 15 years.  People are like "your voicemail doesn't work"....."yeah I know, that's intentional."

Now it automatically transcribes them so I can read them and not have to put up with... "uhhhhh yeah good morning Osubeaver, it's uhhhh Jack Mehoff and it's about 10...errr 10:13, uhhhh tuesday.  Uhhhhh can you give me a call when you get a chance I wanted to talk to you about.....I found out that......blah blah blah....."

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
If something is important to me, I will remember.  That's the reality.  If I have to say "send me an email", it's because it's not important to me.

It's not like I have to email myself to remember to go buy that video game or that gun or whatever that I want. I remember that shit without a reminder, no problem.
View Quote

I mostly meant for work. Text vs call isn't really an issue to me in my personal life I guess, now that I'm thinking about it. But as others mentioned, the paper trail is a big deal, and keeping tasks organized at work is 90% of my time. If I'm on the phone with someone at work and they ask me to do x y and then z, the email helps.

No, nothing at work is really important enough to me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Some of the answers here are awesome.... lol.

Sad state of the world these days. Folks want an all or nothing communication solution.  There is so such thing. Different methods do different things. Some real primmadonnas out there for sure..... everyone out there that says "don't call me"....lol. If you're going to create demands for how communication exists, you need to set ground rules upfront......

Not setting up a voicemail for work???? How does that even work? Wut???

TLDR; people are becoming anti social. Plain and simple. The movie surrogates will be reality some day.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By rfoxtrot:
Some of the answers here are awesome.... lol.

Sad state of the world these days. Folks want an all or nothing communication solution.  There is so such thing. Different methods do different things. Some real primmadonnas out there for sure..... everyone out there that says "don't call me"....lol. If you're going to create demands for how communication exists, you need to set ground rules upfront......

TLDR; people are becoming anti social. Plain and simple. The movie surrogates will be reality some day.
View Quote

the ground rules are set up with the meme. initial communication was text and boomer called back.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Moderately complex ideas and information are much more easily shared and conveyed over the phone, and much faster than texting back and forth.  I don't understand why some people are afraid to talk on the phone these days and want to drag a conversation out for half a day via texts instead of having a 5 minute phone call.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

This.  500 texts later and I'm still not sure WTF was being communicated and working on changes.

Less than a 5 minute phone call, boom, everything is aligned.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By tooldforthis:
I am going to throw a guess out there, but the people who feel this way, I bet they have a hard time chatting up a chick face to face also

seems to go hand in hand
View Quote
Meh. If you can compartmentalize, being able to chat up a woman when you want isnt a deal. Granted you have to have that "gift of gab" in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#37]

i hate using the cellphone period.

if i do use it just text me. i dont need all the formalities just to answer a simple question. i like my privacy and peace and cellphones obstruct that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:04:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OSUBeaver] [#38]
Originally Posted By rfoxtrot:

View Quote

It works awesome.

To be fair, I don't have a customer facing position.  When I talk to customers, it's face to face and everybody in my company uses voice call, email, text or Slack IM.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#39]
text and emails can be misunderstood more easily than a person to person conversation (phone call included).
text and email are only advantageous in documenting.

Luckily I'm done working so its of no concern to me how it effects the work environment.

In a non-work environment I don''t do texts and will use email. Don't text cause I don't use a cell phone.
Biggest issue for me is selling stuff via the web. No text messages eliminates about 87% of the stupid not serious buyers.
I'll list my phone number and email. If someone calls they usually will show up and buy whereas email is more misses than hits.

As for communication between friends and relatives I have some who will text my wife to have her ask me something. My wife will ask me then text back.

If someone emails me it may take several days before I even see it. I may check emails 1-3 times a week is all.
I've got better things to do than open emails and texts with pictures of your latest meal.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Phones, Lol.  If it's really important you'll call me on the radio.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By PanelVanHalen:
I have never texted.
View Quote
That's okay, Peepaw. Just ask your grandkids to show you how.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:28:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZW17] [#42]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:58:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#43]
Originally Posted By DirtyDirk:
text and emails can be misunderstood more easily than a person to person conversation (phone call included).
View Quote

Boy ain’t that the truth. I just had a situation about where to locate a new utility pole and street light, and 2 other different work groups were arriving at different conclusions than what I was asking for, even though I had accurately described it and used easy reference points. We finally had a boots-on-the-ground meeting and walked through the site. “Oh, THAT’S where you want it? That’s really easy!”

I don’t even know how they misunderstood the request so badly.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:06:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#44]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I use my phone to order tacos from the local taco place on Tuesdays.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By brass:
I want some typing mechanism like a pair of gloves to put on and then tap away at a surface to interface to phone.  Ideally, just point camera at hands and have it understand what my fingers are typing.

Doing two thumbs and auto-guess selection is a PITA and slower than hell and carrying a bluetooth keyboard around isn't feasible since there aren't roll up flexible ones that are nice and small but full size keys read.

Computer I can do a medium-long post like this in 15 seconds, on a phone it would take me a minute and a half and have half nonsense words auto-fixed.

View Quote

Agreed.  The human-computer interface is the next great hurdle in personal computing.  I suspect neural implants will break that barrier, and will ultimately lead to our demise.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By kcolg30:
I don't like text.
View Quote

we use teams. teams in is good for some things... however, you text me with an involved request, i ask for an email to proceed. if it looks like the text is going to be a back and forth for a while, i call you.

i hate texting on smartphones and mostly avoid it. would be a bit more acceptable if the phone had a physical keyboard. i used to buy phones that had keyboards until they were no longer available.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:22:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#48]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:

Send E-mail
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:

Send E-mail

How does that somehow address the problem I described?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Shazbat:

Schedule a meeting then with Teams or Zoom.

Never, ever, call.

There are 6 people allowed to call me, 4 of them know to text first most of the time.

I want my phone to have an allow list.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shazbat:

Schedule a meeting then with Teams or Zoom.

Never, ever, call.

There are 6 people allowed to call me, 4 of them know to text first most of the time.

I want my phone to have an allow list.

lol

Office people.

I'm not going to schedule a zoom meeting if I'm on a jobsite and need to walk through a plan discrepancy.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top