Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Also recruiter told me I’ll have the training for airborne and the wings on my uniform, but not guaranteed an airborne unit as others have already mentioned. I’ll try my best but what can I do to maximize the possibility of getting an airborne unit?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:15:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TallLankey:
Also recruiter told me I’ll have the training for airborne and the wings on my uniform, but not guaranteed an airborne unit as others have already mentioned. I’ll try my best but what can I do to maximize the possibility of getting an airborne unit?
View Quote

If you are infantry and have a jump school slot. You will most likely go to an Airborne unit.

It's the pogues that have jump school slots that often end up in non airborne units. Making jump school a complete waste of taxpayer money of course.

Now if you try for RIP or I think it's now RASP guys that flunked out got sent to Korea as leg infantry or to the 25th in Hawaii.

The Army will put you where they need you. Nothing you can do will change that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#3]
What’s profile?
View Quote

Medical profile. Sometimes it's a necessity, but many milk it so they don't have to "Soldier".

My son was forced to go on profile. During some nighttime patrolling he somehow got the remnants of poison oak (or ivy) into a cut on his thigh. He ignored it to avoid going to sick call (and not wanting a profile). He finally had too much pain and the infection almost reached his bone. He lived, still road marched and did the 5 mile Ranger qual run. His profile was minimal, so he just had to keep his leg cleaned and meds applied.

Profile is a great way to stand out in a very bad way...avoid it unless you're near death

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Spoke to my recruiter again today. I’ll be joining as an E3, whatever that means.
View Quote

E3 is Pay Grade. Specifically, it's the Enlisted Pay Grade at the third level. This equates to the rank of Private First Class in the Army.

Pay grade for enlisted goes from E1-E9. Officer pay grades go from O1-O10 and Warrant Officer from W1-W5.

Pay amounts can be found from a variety of sources, but HERE is a link to Military.Com and their site on the 2024 military pay schedule.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:23:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#5]

What’s profile?
View Quote

Profile is a medical slip that excuses you from certain duties or requirements based upon a medical condition. One example is being exempt from shaving due to a facial injury or chronic facial irritation or in rare cases religious (you see a lot of black dudes and Mediterranean-descended people with shaving profiles).

Temporary profiles can prevent you from duty, schools and supporting the team. It's as bad for the injured as it is for the people taking up the slack. That is not a good reason to avoid medical assistance when needed. A sick or injured soldier isn't a help on the battlefield, but a hindrance. Get the medical help you need, but don't seek any exemptions unless it is a serious issue.

Permanent profiles are to prevent the exacerbation or continued injury of a soldier from a medical condition. Most permanent profiles are career ending, especially in the Infantry. I injured my back, fought for two years to stay in and get it fixed, but lost the battle, got classified a permanent profile for my condition and that initiated medical separation. It is not a good thing to go through.

Shaving profiles are pretty benign, though. Most people are jealous of the shaving profiles.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:

I think we all go in as 11X at Benning. I don't know anyone that had Charlie or Bravo assigned when they got there.

Hell when I went we had 6 infantry MOS. Went in as 11X and after Basic phase of OSUT one ended up in training for 11B, 11C, 11BC2, 11M, 11H, or 11HE9.

I was praying for 11B and thankfully got it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

11X is what he's getting and he's hoping for an airborne slot.

I think we all go in as 11X at Benning. I don't know anyone that had Charlie or Bravo assigned when they got there.

Hell when I went we had 6 infantry MOS. Went in as 11X and after Basic phase of OSUT one ended up in training for 11B, 11C, 11BC2, 11M, 11H, or 11HE9.

I was praying for 11B and thankfully got it

Only Nasty Girls get 11B slotted because they’re filling that position in their guard unit. Everyone else gets 11x.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

Medical profile. Sometimes it's a necessity, but many milk it so they don't have to "Soldier".

My son was forced to go on profile. During some nighttime patrolling he somehow got the remnants of poison oak (or ivy) into a cut on his thigh. He ignored it to avoid going to sick call (and not wanting a profile). He finally had too much pain and the infection almost reached his bone. He lived, still road marched and did the 5 mile Ranger qual run. His profile was minimal, so he just had to keep his leg cleaned and meds applied.

Profile is a great way to stand out in a very bad way...avoid it unless you're near death

ROCK6
View Quote

Dangit! Will having the prescription for the face wash put me on a profile like that?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#8]

E3 is Pay Grade. Specifically, it's the Enlisted Pay Grade at the third level. This equates to the rank of Private First Class in the Army.

Pay grade for enlisted goes from E1-E9. Officer pay grades go from O1-O10 and Warrant Officer from W1-W5.

Pay amounts can be found from a variety of sources, but HERE is a link to Military.Com and their site on the 2024 military pay schedule.
View Quote

Well it’s a pay cut for me for sure, but I can pay my credit card bills with that and that’s all I care about.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Dangit! Will having the prescription for the face wash put me on a profile like that?
View Quote

Negative, it's just a prescription. Just try to avoid any special circumstances to use it. Get up earlier, go to bed later...make the use transparent.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

No.  It's for when you medically can't do your job.  ie. if your leg is broken you can't run.  If you arm is broken you can't do pushups.  

Be at the top of your class and you'll be more likely to get the assignment you want if there are any choices to be made.  Nobody wants to give a desirable job to a shitbag.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

Negative, it's just a prescription. Just try to avoid any special circumstances to use it. Get up earlier, go to bed later...make the use transparent.

ROCK6
View Quote

Roger that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#12]

What’s profile?
View Quote

Profile is a medical exemption from some requirement - probably the most common would be shaving not required due to a skin condition or sport shoes authorized instead of boots due to a foot injury. This usually brings you unwanted attention from your superiors, and possibly delay completing the school, depending on what it is.

You are being given credit for some of your civilian experience for the E3 rank, you may find one or two others in your cycle similarly situated, which brings up a couple of points I will make that have not yet been covered because the focus has been on your first 72 hours in the Army.

As your platoon of trainees gets organized, the Drill Sergeants will appoint some number of "guides" who are the "team leads" for the squads - they are trainees, but also held responsible for the other members of the squad. I mention this because as one of the sure to be older guys, and in the grade of E3, it is likely you will be given this assignment early on. If you do this job well, you will keep the position through OSUT, and improves you chances of being considered for honor grad. This means that you have a better chance of getting to airborne school, and a good assignment, rather than just whatever happens to be the theme of the day. It also means when somebody gets sent to the PX for stuff for the squad, that may likely be you, which gets you off of some of the BS.

Other point is where you unit of assignment will be. If you are interested in being assigned to Europe (173rd Airborne Brigade or 2CAV Regiment - which is currently infantry until the Army figures out that Cav Regiments make a comeback and the 19Ds which are now being disposed of will be needed in that role), a four year enlistment would allow you to complete a full 3 year tour in Europe, and might be a negotiating point in your favor. Given current conditions in Europe, you may do more "Army stuff" assigned to those units, as say Ft. Riley or Ft. Drum.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BrentMG:

I wouldn't do too many push ups because if you develop muscle memory doing them half-assed you're probably going to keep doing that and will probably fail your ACFT. As long as you are not a morbidly fat slob the physical portion isn't too bad. We took fat kids in who left skinnier, some still fat but skinnier.

MFT and prior DS
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BrentMG:
Originally Posted By Glock4140:

Yeah you will be fine, I’d just start doing daily pushups, sit-ups, pull ups, flutter kicks and running if your not already doing it.  

Also might wanna try to walk in boots with some sort of backpack on.

Not sure if your an early riser but might be a good idea to start waking up at 0430, lots of new soldiers had an issue with that.

It’s honestly pretty easy if your not a fat body osut is a good program and it’s setup to turn a lazy civilian into an 11bravo

I wouldn't do too many push ups because if you develop muscle memory doing them half-assed you're probably going to keep doing that and will probably fail your ACFT. As long as you are not a morbidly fat slob the physical portion isn't too bad. We took fat kids in who left skinnier, some still fat but skinnier.

MFT and prior DS

That is good advice.

1 ... 1 ... 1 ...2 ... 2 ... 2 ... 2 ... 3 ...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By HenryKnoxFineBooks:

Profile is a medical exemption from some requirement - probably the most common would be shaving not required due to a skin condition or sport shoes authorized instead of boots due to a foot injury. This usually brings you unwanted attention from your superiors, and possibly delay completing the school, depending on what it is.

You are being given credit for some of your civilian experience for the E3 rank, you may find one or two others in your cycle similarly situated, which brings up a couple of points I will make that have not yet been covered because the focus has been on your first 72 hours in the Army.

As your platoon of trainees gets organized, the Drill Sergeants will appoint some number of "guides" who are the "team leads" for the squads - they are trainees, but also held responsible for the other members of the squad. I mention this because as one of the sure to be older guys, and in the grade of E3, it is likely you will be given this assignment early on. If you do this job well, you will keep the position through OSUT, and improves you chances of being considered for honor grad. This means that you have a better chance of getting to airborne school, and a good assignment, rather than just whatever happens to be the theme of the day. It also means when somebody gets sent to the PX for stuff for the squad, that may likely be you, which gets you off of some of the BS.

Other point is where you unit of assignment will be. If you are interested in being assigned to Europe (173rd Airborne Brigade or 2CAV Regiment - which is currently infantry until the Army figures out that Cav Regiments make a comeback and the 19Ds which are now being disposed of will be needed in that role), a four year enlistment would allow you to complete a full 3 year tour in Europe, and might be a negotiating point in your favor. Given current conditions in Europe, you may do more "Army stuff" assigned to those units, as say Ft. Riley or Ft. Drum.
View Quote

I was stationed across the training area from 2CAV (I was in Grafenwoehr) and can say it was an awesome duty station. Great for families, too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ajek:

That is good advice.

View Quote

0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.....

Get up and get to the back of the line, Private.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:37:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#16]
"Will you eventually get to jump out of airplanes and then eat mangoes and stuff?"

''No sir, I'm a saucier, a maker of sauces!"
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By HenryKnoxFineBooks:

View Quote

Thank you, noted.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

If you get to make a wish list of duty stations put fort bragg(liberty), joint base elmendorf-Richardson, and vincenza, Italy on it.

But at the end of the day the Army decides.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Spoke to my recruiter again today. I’ll be joining as an E3, whatever that means.
View Quote

As others have said, PFC, and it means fuck all. E1-4 are all shitbags in basic.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Naffenea:

As others have said, PFC, and it means fuck all. E1-4 are all shitbags in basic.
View Quote

I believe this goes with that.

Full Metal Jacket - "You Are All Equally Worthless..."
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#21]

0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.....

Get up and get to the back of the line, Private.
View Quote

Not sounding off

Not sounding off

No motivation

Don’t give a f

It’s ok we’ll fix it.  We’ll just keep going until we find some motivation.

In cadence!!!  Exercise!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Gee, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:
It will be fine op, within 6 months you will be at your permanent duty station where you will be issued a 350lb wife and your choice of a dodge charger / ford mustang  at 24% apr.

NEW PRIVATE FROM BASIC STARTER PACK

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/IMG_6827_jpeg-3170893.JPG
View Quote

Damn that’s true. When I was a cop in Columbus it never ceased to amaze me how many young soldiers had HAWGS for a wife
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By cyclone:

People still call it Benning
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cyclone:
OK I didnt Google it. Where is Fort Moore?

Where peaches come from

Edit: Ok I just googled it. This was actually Ft Benning. I guess it was a casualty of 2020 and got renamed. Honestly just found that out.

People still call it Benning

I got a sick feeling in my stomach the first time I saw the sign that said “fort Moore” on 185 south.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By greenranger:

I got a sick feeling in my stomach the first time I saw the sign that said “fort Moore” on 185 south.
View Quote

It's weird when I go to my local dealer and the signs say Ft. Cavazos.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By cornhskr:
It will always be Ft Benning.   Don't forget to hit the Traffic Light Lounge!  
View Quote

Holy hell that place was on my beat back in the mid 1990’s. Talk about some SKANKS
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#27]
A/4/2 Harmony Church about 39 years ago when I was 17.

The timeline sounds crazy now.
Back thing OSUT basic/infantry was like 12 weeks, jump school 3, RIP 3-
So 18 weeks, possibly 19 or 20 if you had a holdover week waiting for your jump school and or RIP class to start.

Best of luck.
You’re making a choice to be proud of.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:
A/4/2 Harmony Church about 39 years ago when I was 17.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4704.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4704.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The timeline sounds crazy now.
Back thing OSUT basic/infantry was like 12 weeks, jump school 3, RIP 3-
So 18 weeks, possibly 19 or 20 if you had a holdover week waiting for your jump school and or RIP class to start.

Best of luck.
You’re making a choice to be proud of.
View Quote

Holy shit man, if I could get some arms like that!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Holy shit man, if I could get some arms like that!
View Quote

You will.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:52:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I went through Benning's School for Boys in the mid 90's as an 11B and retired in 2019.

My son went through MEPS last week for a 11X Option 4 (Airborne) contract.  He signed for 4 years, but the option 4 would have been available with a 3 year contract as well.  

Like everyone else that has gone this route has said so far (in some circles this is referred to as a "clue"), don't get suckered into a 6 year contract.  Go 3 or 4 and if you want to stay in after that then you extend/reenlist.  

Don't be a shit bag that gets sucked into doing shit bag stuff but other shit bags.

Accept that death is better then quitting.

If you are weak and think about quitting when things get a little hard then know that the quickest way off Sand Hill is to graduate.  Quitters stick around sucking at life longer then the studs that graduate.

I will go against conventional wisdom and say to volunteer for whatever comes down the pipe.  Sometimes it fucks you and you end up doing some shitty detail.  The times that it works out in your favor can be fucking epic though.

Take care of your feet and your equipment.  Give 100% effort even when nobody else is watching.  Don't be a sad sack that makes your mates carry your load because you can't hack it.  Be in the right place, at the right time, in the right uniform, with the right equipment.  Stay hydrated.  Don't lose anything that you are signed for.  Don't allow yourself to be in a position where you can be falsely accused of being improper to a female.  The Army will crush your soul over that one and in a "he said, she said" situation you will lose 99% of the time.
ALWAYS excell.  If you have questions ask when appropriate to do so.  

Once you pass OSUT and Airborne and get to your unit.  Shut the fuck up and listen to your Team Leaders and Squad Leaders.  You are going to feel like you accomplished something and OSUT/Airborne School will be your only connection to the Army at that point so it will be the only way that you think you can bond with those that are in your unit.  Shut the fuck up.  Nobody.  And I mean NOBODY wants to hear some stupid assed story of what happened to you at OSUT.

Don't fucking quit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:05:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By stefbo:
I went through Benning's School for Boys in the mid 90's as an 11B and retired in 2019.

My son went through MEPS last week for a 11X Option 4 (Airborne) contract.  He signed for 4 years, but the option 4 would have been available with a 3 year contract as well.  

Like everyone else that has gone this route has said so far (in some circles this is referred to as a "clue"), don't get suckered into a 6 year contract.  Go 3 or 4 and if you want to stay in after that then you extend/reenlist.  

Don't be a shit bag that gets sucked into doing shit bag stuff but other shit bags.

If you are weak and think about quitting when things get a little hard then know that the quickest way off Sand Hill is to graduate.  Quitters stick around sucking at life longer then the studs that graduate.

I will go against conventional wisdom and say to volunteer for whatever comes down the pipe.  Sometimes it fucks you and you end up doing some shitty detail.  The times that it works out in your favor can be fucking epic though.

Take care of your feet and your equipment.  Give 100% effort even when nobody else is watching.  Don't be a sad sack that makes your mates carry your load because you can't hack it.  Be in the right place, at the right time, in the right uniform, with the right equipment.  Stay hydrated.  Don't lose anything that you are signed for.  Don't allow yourself to be in a position where you can be falsely accused of being improper to a female.  The Army will crush your soul over that one and in a "he said, she said" situation you will lose 99% of the time.

Once you pass OSUT and Airborne and get to your unit.  Shut the fuck up and listen to your Team Leaders and Squad Leaders.  You are going to feel like you accomplished something and OSUT/Airborne School will be your only connection to the Army at that point so it will be the only way that you think you can bond with those that are in your unit.  Shut the fuck up.  Nobody.  And I mean NOBODY wants to hear some stupid assed story of what happened to you at OSUT.

Don't fucking quit.
View Quote

Yes sir.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Yes sir.
View All Quotes

Don't fucking quit.

Yes sir.

Yeahhhhh.  And about that "sir" thing...
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:12:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TallLankey] [#33]
My temp reservation is for 6 years, and to be honest I’m kind of ok with that. Of course you all are winning me over having already done it yourselves, but can I negotiate that at meps? Tell them I now want to sign for 3? From what I saw the only way to guarantee airborne training was signing for 6, the recruiter sent me the screenshot. And honestly at my age I have no problem signing for 6, nothing can be worse than the way I felt with my office job blue pilling it everyday. I put in my two weeks notice today, damn that felt good. 9 years at my company, worked my way up and all. My last day will be the 12th of April. I’ll spend the week after bass fishing and with family, then go to meps for the fourth time and hop on a flight to Georgia.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like you have the right attitude to be successful. Good luck.

I was an 11B/Z for 26 years, never regretted a second of it.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:23:16 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

Don't fucking quit.

Yes sir.

Don’t call me sir!  I work for a living!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:25:07 AM EDT
[#36]
My temp reservation is for 6 years, and to be honest I’m kind of ok with that. Of course you all are winning me over having already done it yourselves, but can I negotiate that at meps? Tell them I now want to sign for 3? From what I saw the only way to guarantee airborne training was signing for 6, the recruiter sent me the screenshot. And honestly at my age I have no problem signing for 6, nothing can be worse than the way I felt with my office job blue pilling it everyday. I put in my two weeks notice today, damn that felt good. 9 years at my company, worked my way up and all. My last day will be the 12th of April. I’ll spend the week after bass fishing and with family, then go to meps for the fourth time and hop on a flight to Georgia.
View Quote

Like I said, my son signed an 11X Option 4, 4 year contract at MEPS last week and he could have done the same with a 3 year if he had wanted.

What your recruiter comes up with honestly does not matter.  What matters is the contract that you sign at MEPS.  You can renegotiate it, or walk away if it is not the contract that you want.  It is simpler for everyone if you show up with the recruiter and you already having a pathway laid out.  But you are not stuck with anything until you sign at MEPS.  

The reason we keep saying to not sign for 6 is that this is the last time that you will have any power over the Army until the last year of your contract.  Once you get to that point in your contract then you will have some power to try to be able to negotiate for a school that you want that the Army does not want to send you to, a duty station of preference, more money in the form of a reenlistment bonus then you would have gotten by taking the 6 year contract now.  And if for some reason you decide that you hate the Army it gives you options.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:29:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BrentMG] [#37]
Originally Posted By Ajek:

That is good advice.

View Quote

It's not too bad now I'd assume with the ACFT. There isn't the whole if the first 10 are ate up, they don't count and get restarted. Being a DS during the APFT years you don't have time for that. First 10 always counted. It was that 11th one that wasn't going to cut it if you couldn't do them right.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:32:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#38]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:32:36 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

One of our sister BNs had a prior service navy dude come in as a SGT. He was a shit bag too. He actually got chaptered, which is surprising because that BN took pride in having high graduation rates.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:49:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stefbo] [#40]
Attachment Attached File

Just say'n, it's an option at less then six years.

Ask your recruiter if he thinks you look like a beautiful blonde with big tits and an ass that tastes like french vanilla ice cream.  If he replies "no" then ask him why he is trying to fuck you as if you do.  

Or if not that then at least find out why other recruiters are able to get dudes in with an Option 4 with 3 and 4 year initial commitments right now and he can't.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:27:46 AM EDT
[#41]

Gee, thanks.
View All Quotes

Gee, thanks.

That's to be expected. You don't know shit, because you haven't been taught yet. You will get squared away. Then you will get to your unit and start all over.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:34:15 AM EDT
[#42]
You’re going to be surrounded by absolute imbeciles and morons. And initially you will question your decision.

But then you’ll start to see a lot of these guys as your best friends.

Be a leader, which means don’t talk about yourself. I’d drop the “I left a Cush job” act, you’re not doing anyone but yourself any favors by being an infantryman.

You’re going to love some of it. And hate more of it.
Go to ranger school.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:39:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By CavScout:
Skip the nonsense, go straight to Sgt. Airborne, tell him you want to be there instead. Besides, it’s only 3 weeks! Haha! Have fun. I did!
View Quote

This ^  Don't be a Leg if you can avoid it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:10:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SiVisPacem] [#44]

View Quote

There is truth in this advice. One of my first days in OSUT, the Drill Sergeants came out of their office while we were in formation and asked if anyone knew how to type. I'd taken two years of typing in high school (late 80's, so not everyone was using computers enough to learn), so I raised my hand, as did a few others. The Drill Sergeants called us out of formation and asked each of us how many words a minute we could type. I was the fastest at around 55 wpm. While everybody else was engaged in some kind of outdoor physical activity in the Georgia heat, I was sitting in an air conditioned office, typing up copies of the company roster.

I had a 5-year break in service, which meant I had to go back through Basic when I reenlisted. When I finished Basic, there was about a week before there was room in the AIT barracks for my classmates and I, so we spent it hanging around the Basic Training battery. One of the NCO's from S-3 came around asking if anyone had a civilian driver's license. I was the only one who admitted to it, so I got to spend the next week driving trainees from the Troop Medical Clinic to the hospital on main post and back all day. On my first trip, we passed Burger King and several of the dudes I was driving to the hospital ooh'd and ahh'd at it. I commented that I was going to go for lunch later, but I'd left my wallet at the barracks (which was true). That began a daily routine of somebody offering to pay for my lunch if I'd stop at BK.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By scrolledandtabbed:
You’re going to be surrounded by absolute imbeciles and morons. And initially you will question your decision.

But then you’ll start to see a lot of these guys as your best friends.

Be a leader, which means don’t talk about yourself. I’d drop the “I left a Cush job” act, you’re not doing anyone but yourself any favors by being an infantryman.

You’re going to love some of it. And hate more of it.
Go to ranger school.

View Quote

Solid.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#46]
WTF, I guess i'm tardy to the party... they changed Fort Benning to Fort Moore? what a joke. At least people that will never serve and never go there wont be offended after they see it on google maps and decide to take 10 minutes to google WHAT Fort Benning is and WHY it might offend them. I 11B here, went to Benning But, i'm having my kids steer clear of the military because its...... changed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

You’d be surprised how many things can be worse than your office job. Your soul won’t be aching anymore, but everything else will.  

6 years is a long time in the infantry. Another thing about your age is you will very likely deal with injury more than your peers. If you’re riding profiles, even legitimately, you will be treated like shut by your unit.

We’re all laying out the worst case scenarios so you know, but even the best case is you love it and you still needlessly signed up for 6. Enlistment and reenlistment are the only times you have any leverage because you can walk away. All other times; they own you.

Threaten to leave if they don’t offer what you want. They tried to say my vision wasn’t correctable to 20/20 at meps and would have to change my contract. I said no, I’m joining with this one or not at all. Recruiter drove all the way up there, took me to an eyeglass store and got them to write a note saying my vision was correctable, drove me back and I got my contract.

I don’t know, but it is very possible that recruiters get extra credit for signing guys up for longer contracts…
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#48]

Don't fucking quit.
View Quote

Best advice in this thread. That and don’t ask Covertness to pin on your Jump Wings.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:04:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#49]

Don't fucking quit.
View Quote

All solid advice especially the last part. Just because you did OSUT and your AIT phase was 11B then went to jump school means you know jack shit.

You are going to actually learn your job at your unit. Get ready for lots of movement to contact awake for days patrolling and the lovely in flight rig in a mass tac formation flying NOE

Back in my 11B days when I had hair.

Welcome to the brotherhood. Well, after you complete training lol

And if you get Vicenza Italy, you can look forward to this every Feb

The Alps are fucking cold
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#50]
How many drill sergeants now will even have combat patches and cibs?
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top