User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dave-UK:

I live in Worcestershire and it cracks me up hearing how Americans try to say English place names..

1. The genuine sauce made by Lee & Perrins in the city of Worcester is called "Worcester Sauce" made to a recipe brought back from India over 200 years ago.

2. Locals call it Lee & Perrins sauce.

3. Anything called Worcestershire Sauce is a copy and not made in the City

4. Worcester is pronounced Worster (Gloucester = Gloster)

5. Worcestershire = Worstershaa

View Quote

That is what I use.  But, for some reason, in my mind it is always Lee & Perkins.  My brain is broke on that and I can't change it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Anchovy (bacon of the sea) and fish sauce are the secret ingredients.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Berbere spice is really nice on crispy chicken wings, but it's super versatile and I use it on pork, beef, and venison.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jb31:

This!  I often use some Knorr bouillon instead of salt.  Chicken, tomato, or beef depending on what I am making.  I like chicken to take the place of some or all of the salt in rubs.  The extra umami and mouth feel is from that magic MSG.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This!  I often use some Knorr bouillon instead of salt.  Chicken, tomato, or beef depending on what I am making.  I like chicken to take the place of some or all of the salt in rubs.  The extra umami and mouth feel is from that magic MSG.

There is a paste called Better than Bouillon that is pretty amazing. Expensive but it's practically like making stock from scratch.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Four pages, dozens of duplicate suggestions, and I'm the first one to say The Sauce?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:32:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: redfish86] [#7]
Ackshually, the correct “secret” ingredient is salt; in particular, knowing how to correctly use it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Cooking with Love...

I swear its a thing...

someone angry cooking and not wanting to do it and the food at best is maybe Okay.

A person who makes food with love and it taste like ambrosia.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 0xide:
(M)ake (S)hit (G)ood
View Quote

Bingo.

And a good number of responses to the thread back this up since they are usually a way to increase the glutamate level in the food (worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, mushrooms, etc., etc.) and umami, if not wanting to add actual MSG itself.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By kb6emh:
CLEAN HANDS!
View Quote

You are not going to make a good wild yeast starter with that attitude.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:44:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Are ya making stir fry? Along with the Soy Sauce at the end, use some TOASTED Sesame Seed oil. About a 3:1 ratio. 3 Soy Sauce to 1 Toasted Sesame Seed oil
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:13:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Berger24:
Berbere spice is really nice on crispy chicken wings, but it's super versatile and I use it on pork, beef, and venison.
View Quote

Good one, I use that in a lot of things.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:11:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Thank you for this.  Was popping in to say exactly this.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Originally Posted By Dave-UK:

I live in Worcestershire and it cracks me up hearing how Americans try to say English place names..

1. The genuine sauce made by Lee & Perrins in the city of Worcester is called "Worcester Sauce" made to a recipe brought back from India over 200 years ago.

2. Locals call it Lee & Perrins sauce.

3. Anything called Worcestershire Sauce is a copy and not made in the City

4. Worcester is pronounced Worster (Gloucester = Gloster)

5. Worcestershire = Worstershaa

Thank you for this.  Was popping in to say exactly this.

Y’all got me so screwed up I can’t say it at all.  I’m going with Lee and Perrins from now on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Bullwhip2006:

Bingo.

And a good number of responses to the thread back this up since they are usually a way to increase the glutamate level in the food (worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, mushrooms, etc., etc.) and umami, if not wanting to add actual MSG itself.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bullwhip2006:
Originally Posted By 0xide:
(M)ake (S)hit (G)ood

Bingo.

No.  No MSG, aka Taste Powder.  Not necessary at all, and many people, myself included, have an adverse reaction to it - flushed complexion and increased pulse rate.

Use spices, herbs, and seasonings to get the flavors you want and avoid MSG.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

There is a paste called Better than Bouillon that is pretty amazing. Expensive but it's practically like making stock from scratch.
View All Quotes

This stuff is really good. I slathered up a roast once with their beef bouillon and it intensified the beefiness. Highly recommend.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Never wash your hands
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Backscatter:

The cocaine of cooking.
https://c.tenor.com/89eNuq5ziYcAAAAC/fuiyoh-uncleroger.gif
View Quote

Umami!  

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Slap Your Mama

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:29:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Green onions
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:39:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By macman37:

This stuff is really good. I slathered up a roast once with their beef bouillon and it intensified the beefiness. Highly recommend.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By macman37:

I use that!

Kinders Japanese BBQ sauce and glaze is pretty decent to add some flavor.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:58:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Bohicamofo:
Never wash your hands
View Quote

Wear an old clean shirt and wipe your hands on it as needed while cooking.

Eat or wash afterwards depending on how good the food tastes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Wine!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Especially with meat, about the single best thing you can do is fork over the cash for high quality ingredients.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top