Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:34:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I grew Shishito peppers in my garden last year.  They were prolific, I must have harvested 40lbs of them.  Shishitos are cool because one out of every 5-6 is hot.  The rest have a really nice mild pepper flavor, but all of a sudden one steps up and kicks you in the ass.  I fried them a bit and served them as snacks and appetizers.  Usually, you pick them green, but eventually, I got tired of them and let them all turn red.  Then I dried them and crushed them into a powder.  

The Shishito powder adds a layer of flavor that is unlike anything else I've ever found.  It's just spicy enough to make you ask yourself if there's a hot pepper in the recipe, but adds a really beautiful layer that I can't really describe.  I put it in burgers and meatloaf, I've enjoyed it on eggs and pork chops.  It's killer in stew, chili, soups and even in breads.  I add it to my pesto and my spaghetti sauce.  It's so good, I added it to milk one time, which was my only failure with it.  I put it with a little garlic and some black truffle to make a compound butter that will finish a steak in ways you've never considered possible.  I really believe this is one of those ingredients that is going to be 'The Thing' in the next ten years.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:35:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By California_Kid:
I used to know a guy who would put a little heroin in it.  He called that mixture "speedball."
View Quote

That's what killed Chris Farley and John Belushi.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:20:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Well seasoned cast iron .
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Jarcese:
Worcestershire?  Do you pronounce it how you spelled it where you're from OP?
View Quote

I live in Worcestershire and it cracks me up hearing how Americans try to say English place names..

1. The genuine sauce made by Lee & Perrins in the city of Worcester is called "Worcester Sauce" made to a recipe brought back from India over 200 years ago.

2. Locals call it Lee & Perrins sauce.

3. Anything called Worcestershire Sauce is a copy and not made in the City

4. Worcester is pronounced Worster (Gloucester = Gloster)

5. Worcestershire = Worstershaa

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:44:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Samsound] [#5]
Originally Posted By PlaneJane:

Bacon grease.  It doesn't belong in everything, but when it does, nothing else will do.
View Quote
And when it doesn't - clarified butter. I fry, sear, and saute  most things in one or the other. I make 2 lbs of clarified butter every 2 weeks, because I use it that much. Frying up schnitzel in clarified butter is unmatched.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#6]
White cooking wine instead of oil works for me.  Adds a different flavor and healthier.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:53:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohr_Adam] [#7]
Originally Posted By Dave-UK:

I live in Worcestershire and it cracks me up hearing how Americans try to say English place names..

1. The genuine sauce made by Lee & Perrins in the city of Worcester is called "Worcester Sauce" made to a recipe brought back from India over 200 years ago.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Worcestershire?  Do you pronounce it how you spelled it where you're from OP?

Maybe it's that whole rhotic versus non-rhotic thing, but I've also heard it clearly where the "shire" part is more like "sheer."

I'm actually surprised you'd print the "r" in your pronunciation guide, as my stereotype would have it pronounced either totally without an "r," (wustahsha) or with it in both places (worstersheer). I don't think it helps I've spent time in the namesake city outside of Boston, which has its own crazy take on things.

Edit, because my brain is now remembering a pronunciation more like "worstershur" - which is probably more of the American variation, in that it parallels how most of us pronounce "New Hampshire."

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:57:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: corwin1968] [#8]
Originally Posted By Scratch45:
Is arguably

Worchestishire Sauce
View Quote
Agreed.

We started making stuffed bell peppers and I added a lot of Worchestershire Sauce, way more than I would have thought would work, and it just kicked the stuffing up a couple of notches.  I think the experts call it "Umami".   I also use bloody mary mix, instead of tomato juice/sauce, which kicks it up at least another notch....maybe two.  

Also, we only use red, yellow and orange bell peppers.  NEVER green.  Nothing against green bell peppers, they are delicious, they just don't work for me in this dish.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By xdoctor:
I grew Shishito peppers in my garden last year.  They were prolific, I must have harvested 40lbs of them.  Shishitos are cool because one out of every 5-6 is hot.  The rest have a really nice mild pepper flavor, but all of a sudden one steps up and kicks you in the ass.  I fried them a bit and served them as snacks and appetizers.  Usually, you pick them green, but eventually, I got tired of them and let them all turn red.  Then I dried them and crushed them into a powder.  

The Shishito powder adds a layer of flavor that is unlike anything else I've ever found.  It's just spicy enough to make you ask yourself if there's a hot pepper in the recipe, but adds a really beautiful layer that I can't really describe.  I put it in burgers and meatloaf, I've enjoyed it on eggs and pork chops.  It's killer in stew, chili, soups and even in breads.  I add it to my pesto and my spaghetti sauce.  It's so good, I added it to milk one time, which was my only failure with it.  I put it with a little garlic and some black truffle to make a compound butter that will finish a steak in ways you've never considered possible.  I really believe this is one of those ingredients that is going to be 'The Thing' in the next ten years.  
View Quote
Costco sometimes has what appear to be deydrated shishito peppers as a snack in a bag, like you sometimes find okra.  I had never heard of them but holy shit they are delicious!!  Expensive, but worth it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Ghee, for making a roux, is a legit game changer. Available at the Indian grocery store. Not cheap but makes the process way faster.

Cajindian?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Home made stock.   And butter!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:56:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Butter
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
Thank you for this.  Was popping in to say exactly this.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#14]
dijon mustard
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RogueSpear2023:
Slap Ya Momma seasoning
View Quote

This! I put it in most everything I cook.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#16]
3/4 lb. grilled ribeye sprinkles.

Makes everything better.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TrainSafe:

For cooking I like onions in everything
View Quote

Onions and/or garlic
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#18]
MSG
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Homemade chili powder
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Tabasco
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By styles:
Bourbon
View Quote

I got drunk and ruined most of Thanksgiving dinner several years ago, so this may not be the correct answer.

Wife has imposed a 'no more than 3 beers before dinner is ready' rule at the house because of such incidences
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Onions (especially caramelized onions).
Garlic.
Soy sauce.
In oriental cooking, toasted sesame oil added before serving.  Chili sesame oil even better.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By BikerTrash22:
Garlic
View Quote

100% this.

Quantities and types can vary, but I use garlic in a lot of dishes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Rub a little on her nono place
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Goya Adobo seasoning for the win!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#27]
I would say a "secret ingredient" is one that you cant discern but makes a positive impact on the dish.

Sugar, especially in savory dishes is my secret. Making a stew or gravy, etc and it seems like it is missing something but you cant tell what because it already has plenty of XYZ spices? A small amount of sugar, not enough to taste that it is there will make the rest of the flavors enhanced. Similar to what salt does.

There is a pinch of sugar in my sausage gravy but youd not know it if I didnt tell you. Sure is tasty, though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Nutmeg
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#29]
anchovies
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Truffle salt
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Ehhhh...Sum Ting Wong
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#32]
shallots are great.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:
I would say a "secret ingredient" is one that you cant discern but makes a positive impact on the dish.

Sugar, especially in savory dishes is my secret. Making a stew or gravy, etc and it seems like it is missing something but you cant tell what because it already has plenty of XYZ spices? A small amount of sugar, not enough to taste that it is there will make the rest of the flavors enhanced. Similar to what salt does.

There is a pinch of sugar in my sausage gravy but youd not know it if I didnt tell you. Sure is tasty, though.
View Quote

Yep

Another "secret" one is something bright and acidic -especially in a savory dish. A splash of vinegar, lime juice, or similar (added near the end or at serving time) can have an amazing effect on some dishes.

This is why Mexicans put the little lime wedges in the box with the tacos.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Anchovies.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Also, prunes.  Blast a couple in a food processor, you'll never know they are in there, but they add a hint of rich sweetness that can offset any bitterness that may be present.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By paddykern:
Garlic.
Soy sauce.
In oriental cooking, toasted sesame oil added before serving.  Chili sesame oil even better.
View Quote

Toasted sesame oil can also prep the pallet with the way it absolutely lights up the nose from the smell that emanates from the kitchen.  You could be sautéing mayflies in toasted sesame oil and people would think they are about to get the most delicious thing ever.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
White pepper. Try it, stuff is amazing. It's the true secret ingredient in the original KFC chicken recipe.
View Quote

Use it a lot. But mine would be keep it as simple as possible. Don’t get over complicated.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Garlic
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Cinnamon
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Fish sauce

Red wine vinegar
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#42]
CLEAN HANDS!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

View Quote

A buddy of mine told me many years ago that sugar is a spice.  Treat it like such.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#44]

I pronounce it thusly:
War-Chest-eh-shire
View All Quotes

True.  Not laughing at you.  It is funny to hear people try to pronounce it though.

I pronounce it thusly:
War-Chest-eh-shire

wustersure
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

This!  I often use some Knorr bouillon instead of salt.  Chicken, tomato, or beef depending on what I am making.  I like chicken to take the place of some or all of the salt in rubs.  The extra umami and mouth feel is from that magic MSG.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
Bouillon powder.
View Quote

My man!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By MarkNH:

Doesn’t count if you can’t spell or pronounce it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MarkNH:
Is arguably

Worchestishire Sauce

Doesn’t count if you can’t spell or pronounce it.

Was watching some redneck cooking on YT and he called what's-this-here-sauce.  I lol'd.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By paddykern:
Garlic.
Soy sauce.
View Quote

Dude, the preferred nomenclature is Asian.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#50]
I use vinegars of different flavors instead of so much salt.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top