Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I carry the Taurus GX4. I have had several P365's, Shields, and other pocket guns but the Taurus is the equal of them all. I know, I know it's a Taurus, but the GX series is an exception. Inexpensive, the same size as the P365, comparable capacity, lifetime warranty, optics ready, ergonomic, currently on a rebate.  Don't discount it before you handle it.

Comparison
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I went with the Hellcat based solely on how it felt in my hand.  I ordered it last week and it should arrive tomorrow.  I assume the trigger will be crappy, but I already shoot glocks so how bad can it be.  I also figure it will be snappier to shoot than my G17.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am most certainly NOT a sig fan-boi but this damn thing is VERY impressive.

https://i.imgur.com/xCfcMPy.jpg
View Quote

How do you like that holster?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Coming back to the M&P shield....not even in the running based on specs alone.  Plus the road-cone-like loaded chamber indicator is going to be a HARD pass even if it was smaller and carried more rounds.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not sure how or where.  I'm in the Lehigh Valley/Eastern PA....if anyone is open to letting me try theirs or knows of a place that allows for testing

Thanks
View Quote
Burkes gun shop
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Burkes gun shop
View Quote

2hrs each way but thanks anyway.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

2hrs each way but thanks anyway.
View Quote
Worth the drive, seriously. You should definitely add it to your list. Stop at dotti Lou meats while you're out too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is a continuation of a consideration that started a few weeks back.  Looking for a new pocket gun to replace my LCP2.  I finally made it to a gun shop and had a chance to feel both of them....kinda.  Plus the Reflex caught my eye and has made it into the race.  

The P365X is all they had.  Felt decent in the hand but didn't wow me.  The Hellcat felt great in the hand, really liked the bells and whistles on board (texturing, ergos, etc.) but the sights really impressed me. Pretty nice trigger to!  The FN really surprised me.  Prior to going I didn't know of it.  But the ergos felt great as well and it kinda seemed like a runner up to the Hellcat.

What I really wish is that I had the chance to shoot them all.  However, aside from recoil, they all seem like great guns in fit and form.  Hellcat and FN Reflex are tied for capacity.  But it's only a single round different from the P365.  

For those who own one of these three, how did you land on one over the others?  Maybe it comes down to price??  No clue what the FN goes for online.  I'll have to look that up.  

At the same time I might....might....be transitioning to a Tisas Stingray in 9mm for hip carry.  So trading a G19 and LCP2 for a Tisas Stingray and one of these pocket 9's seems like a decent step up for me personally YMMV.  

Thanks!

EDIT:  I think the FN was the reflex not the 509.  But it held 11+1 of 9mm.
View Quote

I went with a 365 X-Macro and haven't looked back.  17+1 and absolutely a pleasure to shoot and accurate!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tisas Raider
View Quote

Hell ya
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Worth the drive, seriously. You should definitely add it to your list. Stop at dotti Lou meats while you're out too.
View Quote

There is a place locally that I can shoot the hellcat and p365 at for $80.  Trying to see if any friends have them that I can test theirs before going that route.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My P365X with a EPS Carry, magguts and Wilson grip is the best carry gun i have owned. Reliable, accurate, feeds/fires all, light, small, 14+1, etc.

I sold my glocks after having it a few months.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/200035/P365X-EPS-WC-MG_b_small_JPG-3170134.JPG
View Quote

I shoot better with using the Wilson Combat grip, but it really digs into my skin and prints a lot harder.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Seems like the vast majority of responses are going with the P365 or Hellcat.  But not many going with the Reflex.  Any thoughts on why that is??  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Seems like the vast majority of responses are going with the P365 or Hellcat.  But not many going with the Reflex.  Any thoughts on why that is??  

Thanks!
View Quote

Am I going to have to start another thread?? ??
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone tried the Taurus Carry? Looks like it might be a good one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

I have two FN Reflex pistols, I have zero issues with them now. I've heard complaints from other forums poo pooing on them for stupid light SAO triggers and internal hammers with no safety. I've heard complaints about them choking during break in periods, shooting low left, extraction problems, ejection problems.  I had one problem child that needed around 400 rounds of 147/124/115 to work out. The 2nd one has been fine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have two FN Reflex pistols, I have zero issues with them now. I've heard complaints from other forums poo pooing on them for stupid light SAO triggers and internal hammers with no safety. I've heard complaints about them choking during break in periods, shooting low left, extraction problems, ejection problems.  I had one problem child that needed around 400 rounds of 147/124/115 to work out. The 2nd one has been fine.
View Quote

Hadn't seen anything about those issues but something to look into.  As for the trigger I thought it was impressive when dry firing.  Crisp and smooth.

However, not having the opportunity to test one definitely has me concerned even without knowing the quirks.

Thanks for sharing though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#17]
The sig365 is an amazing CCW, which literally redefined what is possible in a subcompact.    

However, it’s not a pocket carry.   Hellcat isn’t either.    (Unless you wear huge gaping farmer overalls everyday).

The FN, I need to see.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The sig365 is an amazing CCW, which literally redefined what is possible in a subcompact.    

However, it’s not a pocket carry.   Hellcat isn’t either.    (Unless you wear huge gaping farmer overalls everyday).

The FN, I need to see.
View Quote

I put the hellcat in my pocket and it fit well enough for me.  I'll try it with the P365 at the rental range.  If I need deep concealment in slacks I'll go back to the LCP2
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I just bought a P365 FCG today. Going to build it out on a Sharps aluminum lower. Also bought a manual safety kit to add on as the FCG didn’t have one.

My buddy has a 365 with a Sharps module and it’s incredibly comfortable to hold and point. Fills the pocket of my hand nicely.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I put the hellcat in my pocket and it fit well enough for me.  I'll try it with the P365 at the rental range.  If I need deep concealment in slacks I'll go back to the LCP2
View Quote
I pocket carry my P365 every day. 6'0, 215lb, <35 year old dude so I'm not wearing Grandpa's jeans with pockets to his knees. No issues. DeSantis Superfly.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How do you like that holster?
View Quote

@yamahawarrior89

The holster is great.   The only negative is that there ARE some occasions I wish I did not order it to fit the light.  That lower part housing the light can dig into my groin when I bend or sit for a long period of time.  But the holster stays put, stays tight to the body, and holds the gun sold.  I'd buy it again.  

It IS nice having the light on the gun though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

I think its due to general lack of confidence in FN handguns.  They dump (and/or change) designs so frequently that long term support is very much in doubt.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just bought a P365 FCG today. Going to build it out on a Sharps aluminum lower. Also bought a manual safety kit to add on as the FCG didn’t have one.

My buddy has a 365 with a Sharps module and it’s incredibly comfortable to hold and point. Fills the pocket of my hand nicely.
View Quote

What's the thinking with the aluminum lower??
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think its due to general lack of confidence in FN handguns.  They dump (and/or change) designs so frequently that long term support is very much in doubt.
View Quote

Didn't know that at all.  This keeps looking better for the Hellcat....will most likely buy three of whichever I choose but that's for another thread.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#25]
They do sell it separately now. Didn’t when I bought mine.

https://store.springfield-armory.com/hellcat-3-8-threaded-barrel-w-self-indexing-compensator-9mm/
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They do sell it separately now. Didn’t when I bought mine.

https://store.springfield-armory.com/hellcat-3-8-threaded-barrel-w-self-indexing-compensator-9mm/
View Quote

$200 plus tax and shipping is steep!  But at least the option is there.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Some buds and I shot the Hellcat vs P365 in side by side comparisons.

Consensus was:
Trigger was better on P365.
Recoil was noticeably better with P365.
We were all more accurate, faster, with the P365.

That was enough.
View Quote

I own both. I completely agree with all the while adding just slightly better in all those areas.
I would also add that the hellcat finish is significantly better. My 365 mags have rust. HC mags never will.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#28]
The P365XL pointed more naturally for me. I wasn't a huge fan of the Hellcat. I carry mine AIWB with a 15 round mag in the gun and backup.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Some buds and I shot the Hellcat vs P365 in side by side comparisons.

Consensus was:
Trigger was better on P365.
Recoil was noticeably better with P365.
We were all more accurate, faster, with the P365.

That was enough.
View Quote

This was my experience as well when shooting steel.   However when I took resting shots at a paper target I was able to group slightly better with a hellcat.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I still need to shoot it and I might try a threaded barrel.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#31]
The best is the P365, IMO. You can get MagGuts kits to add +2 to the magazine capacity. Also more magazine options are available.

The Hellcat and Sig are smaller than the other options, but the Sig shoots better (again, IMO).

If you're going for smallest possible pocket carry, the S&W Shield is too big unless you're a big guy or wearing Paul Harrell's jacket.

ETA: I don't know anything about the FN. Nothing I said above relates to it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Coming back to the M&P shield....not even in the running based on specs alone.  Plus the road-cone-like loaded chamber indicator is going to be a HARD pass even if it was smaller and carried more rounds.

View Quote

You sure you were looking at the Shield Plus and not the shield EZ?

Shield plus is similar in size and capacity to the hellcat and doesn’t have a loaded chamber indicator (except on the CA compliant version)

Shield EZ is dumb and you shouldn’t consider those
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:54:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I carry the Taurus GX4. I have had several P365's, Shields, and other pocket guns but the Taurus is the equal of them all. I know, I know it's a Taurus, but the GX series is an exception. Inexpensive, the same size as the P365, comparable capacity, lifetime warranty, optics ready, ergonomic, currently on a rebate.  Don't discount it before you handle it.

Comparison
View Quote

That reminds me, I noticed the other day for some reason the non-OSP Hellcat on handgunhero is 4.25 inches while the OSP version is only 4 inches. I think that's an error on their part and the OSP size is the correct one. Unsure if the GX4 is actually 4.4in tall like they say but if so that's going to make it pretty hard for an average size person to pocket carry.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:58:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Personally it just came to market after I already had the other two and it was too tall to effectively pocket carry so I had no reason to consider it. For an AIWB gun I'm still picking something like a G26 over any of them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I went with the Hellcat based solely on how it felt in my hand.  I ordered it last week and it should arrive tomorrow.  I assume the trigger will be crappy, but I already shoot glocks so how bad can it be.  I also figure it will be snappier to shoot than my G17.
View Quote

@cchurchi, my Hellcat trigger had a ~100-150 round break in. The trigger pull smoothed out substantially and after the break in period became a reasonably smooth pull with a crisp wall in my experience at least. The Hellcat is quite a bit snappier than a full-size, but in my experience is manageable.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:36:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
F6F every time.
View Quote

I am more of a F8F type of person myself.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Shield plus is similar in size and capacity to the hellcat and doesn’t have a loaded chamber indicator (except on the CA compliant version)

View Quote

M&P Shield is what it was.  Didn't see any other model specifiers
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#38]
People who have tried all three pick the S&W Shield.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:09:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you actually shoot any of these on a timer, or are you just guessing?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:12:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You were looking at the shield ez. Shield plus doesn't have a chamber indicator like you described.

Shield ez is meant for new gun owners and people with weak hands. It's packed with unnecessary safety features to appeal to a certain market segment.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:23:58 AM EDT
[#41]
I looked at a 365XL, Shield Plus, and the Hellcat when I bought.  Shot all 3.  Ended up buying the Sig and putting a Holosun on it.  This was 2 years ago.  This past week, I bought a Shield Plus, mainly because I liked it also and I want a micro 9 with just iron sights and it fits the bill.

The Hellcat is definitely a nice pistol but it was very snappy and hard to get back on target for me.  The 365XL in comparison was the easiest to shoot quickly.

I have no experience with the FN.

YMMV.

New Shield Plus, and my 365XL and an old Ruger LCP.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:09:24 AM EDT
[#42]
For me it was a Walther PPS until I held the Shield. Sold.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:22:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Link?  I'm not seeing anything about it on Springfield's page.  Thanks!!

EDIT: Nope.   https://www.springfieldpromo.com/#oNoPromotion
View Quote

Yep, sorry.
SEPTEMBER 15 – DECEMBER 31, 2023

3 months late :D
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:52:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
People who have tried all three pick the S&W Shield.
View Quote

People who bothered to read the OP and understand what he's looking for don't The Shield is a nice little pistol that does its job well and probably does shoot better and easier than any of the three OP mentioned because it is bigger than all of them and not reasonably able to be pocket carried. You may as well barge into a thread about Yamaha vs Honda vs Kawasaki for a dirt bike and demanding that everyone pay attention to your favorite Harley instead
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#45]
You guys have some huge pockets. A LCP Max is a pocket gun as is an LCP or LCP 2. The Hellcat, P365 and similar pistols are too big for front pocket pants/jeans carry for me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You guys have some huge pockets. A LCP Max is a pocket gun as is an LCP or LCP 2. The Hellcat, P365 and similar pistols are too big for front pocket pants/jeans carry for me.
View Quote

Welcome to why all the P365X/Shield/other random 4.5"+ tall CCW pistol advocates here make me a little... When you get to a P365 or Hellcat, you're at a point where it's less "gun disappears into pocket like it's not there" and more "there's clearly some large thing in that pocket but it can be made to not look like a handgun". It works in daily life when nobody really pays much attention, but I do usually go with my LCP 2 when I need true concealment instead of just misdirection.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Welcome to why all the P365X/Shield/other random 4.5"+ tall CCW pistol advocates here make me a little... When you get to a P365 or Hellcat, you're at a point where it's less "gun disappears into pocket like it's not there" and more "there's clearly some large thing in that pocket but it can be made to not look like a handgun". It works in daily life when nobody really pays much attention, but I do usually go with my LCP 2 when I need true concealment instead of just misdirection.
View Quote

I can agree with this.  And that's pretty much what I've said..... I'm looking at a better EDC pocket gun BUT when concealment actually is a concern I'll go back to the LCP2.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

@cchurchi, my Hellcat trigger had a ~100-150 round break in. The trigger pull smoothed out substantially and after the break in period became a reasonably smooth pull with a crisp wall in my experience at least. The Hellcat is quite a bit snappier than a full-size, but in my experience is manageable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s great to hear.  I plan to get some rounds down range this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#49]
It seems everyone has forgotten or forgiven SAI for their BS. I don’t. Won’t spend a dime with that crappy company. My buddy had bought a Hellcat and I did try it. It does have a decent trigger, but it also locked up on me. Apparently the dingus won’t clear the frame if you pull the trigger with lateral force, so it won’t fire. I’m told they’ve made corrections, but it was a surprise when it happened. I didn’t like thinking that in a high pressure situation, it might not work. Otherwise, a nice pistol imported by a shitty company.

I pocket carry the P365. Haven’t moved into red dots on pistols (yet) so I can’t speak to how it fits with an optic. It fits in all my pants pockets just fine, but it will print. If you’re sensitive about things like that, I don’t know what to tell you other than no one is paying that close of attention to you.

I didn’t like the soft side Nemesis, so I got a VersaCarry. It started off tight, but loosened up over time. But didn’t catch on the draw all the time (even with the longer claw), so I had to strip the holster off during presentation. SIG has a Mitch Rosen that has double wings that definitely catches on the draw, so I’ve been using that now. It prints more, but again I don’t care.

Some pix:
The VersaCarry:
Attachment Attached File

The Mitch Rosen:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#50]
I pocket carry my P365 often.  Of course I wear Riggs ranger pants every day and it disappears in the pocket.  Don’t even know it is there most of the time.  I use a sticky holster and it also is the safety model.  

PatAttachment Attached File
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top