BCM
User Panel

Page / 18
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

Our long range stuff would put MAJOR hurt on China but the problem is we'd run out of it in 4 to 6 weeks time
View Quote
We should be ramping production of munitions right now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JRBL1A1:
For all you panty wastes crying about defending Taiwan from China, I get it. The "big bad bankers" are funding another war for profit, etc. But... we had better figure out how to get all of our CPU needs elsewhere then. Either get Japan set up, or Europe, or ... **gasp** get it figured out here in the US.

If people think Kuwait and oil was an issue... just wait until we can't build a new model friggin' smart phone thanks to no cpu chips....
View Quote

So edgy…
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SheltiePimp:
China doesn't need to invade, they just need to wait.

All this talk of military action, or going to war for Taiwan without any mention of what the population of Taiwan wants, and where they are heading politically, is just a symptom of bad diplomacy and selective reporting.

China can afford to remove TSMC factories in Taiwan via exothermic reactions, TSMC can not afford to lose its Chinese customers.

This is a very complex issue, but the Ukraine conflict has shown how retarded the Biden state department is and how they can fuck everything up.

View Quote

China has actually done a great job with culture shifting in Taiwan. Most of the younger generation are educated in Mandarin rather than Hokkien, and Chinese media in Taiwan has pushed the idea that Taiwan is China long enough that a lot of younger Taiwanese consider themselves Chinese.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#4]
It's laughable that people think if we go to war in China we'll be without chips for a while until several years later until manufacturing gets spun up here. You know what you need to build a chip plant? (or ANY manufacturing plant for that matter). CHIPS.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Dagoth-Ur:

How many world wars and millions have to be fought and have to die before you people stop fighting and dying for bankers?
View Quote

apparently a lot since everyone still seems to be jacking off to going to war at every opportunity.....

i mean if only a book was written about it..."War Is a Racket"....oh well never mind

And we really should go die by the millions to save an island that we legally admit is part of China....you know, because Globohomo assholes like the Bush's gave them Our most Profitable industry back in the 70s,  because "muh labour costs...."
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Back in the real world, fights may come to you whether you want them or not.

We have assets on Guam that are likely to be targeted immediately by China if they invade Taiwan.

Is it your opinion we should withdraw all assets from the Pacific preemptively so we can be sure our assets won't be struck?
View Quote

they'd strike Guam immediately based on what?
the predictions of our planners who have been perennial losers since WW2? give me ONE, just ONE prediction they got correct and maybe i'd believe them....
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#7]

not really a "stones throw", not even the same scenario, Japan is a real country with a real military, Taiwan pretends its the legitimate government of CHINA LOL....just because we were dumbe enough to give away our semi-conductor industry to Taiwan doesn't mean we hve to go die by the miillions for some assholes who have bunkers and want us to eat bugs

Taiwan had 80 years to install a strong 2nd AMendment, they didn't, they can fuck off and fight their own wars...

I don't care about taiwan, china or japan...i care about America! Rest of the world can fuck off
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By nomad07:

the predictions of our planners who have been perennial losers since WW2? give me ONE, just ONE prediction they got correct and maybe i'd believe them....
View Quote
Big intel predicted the invasion of Ukraine before it happened.

I don't know that China will strike Guam. I do think it's a possibility.

I think China would prefer Taiwan to voluntarily capitulate, but that doesn't seem likely anytime in the next decade. Xi is getting older, if he wants to have reunification as part of his legacy he will have to take actions to force it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
I need to have an idea of how large an impact to not only the US, but to the world, a sudden stoppage of all of the integrated circuits, and other systems, would be.
View Quote

ya...almost like pissing away our industry to taiwan back in the 70s was a bad idea...we should compound it by going to war on the other side of the world....should fix shit really good
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Overall we are not. Look at the line by line breakdowns for FY 24 and 25 along with previous 2022 and 2023.

There are some exceptions but imo not to the degree required to give anyone the warm and fuzzies.

It’s all baby steps, day late dollar short

Tons of delays, cost overruns, etc.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

? North Korea obtaining nukes which GD mocked for a decade then that North Korea would obtain ICBMs which GD mocked for a decade.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#12]

not really a "stones throw", not even the same scenario, Japan is a real country with a real military, Taiwan pretends its the legitimate government of CHINA LOL....just because we were dumbe enough to give away our semi-conductor industry to Taiwan doesn't mean we hve to go die by the miillions for some assholes who have bunkers and want us to eat bugs

Taiwan had 80 years to install a strong 2nd AMendment, they didn't, they can fuck off and fight their own wars...

I don't care about taiwan, china or japan...i care about America! Rest of the world can fuck off
View Quote

You do you

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Should we preemptively move all US forces out of the Pacific and let China know they are free to take Taiwan and it will not be contested by the US?
View Quote

Originally Posted By Curmudgeon762:
Isolationism won’t work in the long run. It will only make it worse. I don’t think we have a real choice if China makes that move if they don’t strike US assets in the initial phase of an operation. They strike Taiwan and US ? It’s on. 2025 to 2026 are going to be interesting years
View Quote

I'm not getting wound up about Taiwan.  At least not to involve the military. I think any move on our territories or bases would get me there though.

Same with the Ukraine. It's a local dispute. If Russia moves on a country with a us military base with intentions to take it then it's go time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

I'm not getting wound up about Taiwan.  At least not to involve the military. I think any move on our territories or bases would get me there though.

Same with the Ukraine. It's a local dispute. If Russia moves on a country with a us military base with intentions to take it then it's go time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Should we preemptively move all US forces out of the Pacific and let China know they are free to take Taiwan and it will not be contested by the US?

Isolationism won’t work in the long run. It will only make it worse. I don’t think we have a real choice if China makes that move if they don’t strike US assets in the initial phase of an operation. They strike Taiwan and US ? It’s on. 2025 to 2026 are going to be interesting years

What you’re saying is that you haven’t the smallest clue how strategically important Taiwan is to US interests…
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

In aircraft and ship travel 100 miles is a stones throw. That’s not even a 2 hour drive on I-5 or I-95

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd be OK going to war to defend Japan/Korea/Tiawan, as they actually mean something. I think China going after Tiawan would kick off N Korea going after S. Korea and Japan would wind up getting sucked into it. At that point, we are all in on that fight.

In other news, Ukraine is Europe's problem, Iran is Israel & Saudi's problem. They should handle their business, and we should stay out of it.

-ZA

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#17]
No.

We should destroy TWSC though if China is about to seize Taiwan.  TWSC cannot fall into the hands of China and we should be prepared to evacuate all key personnel from TWSC to the USA that wish to do so.  If possible and such an invasion is impending we should get as much of the tooling from TWSC as possible and destroy the rest.

TWSC is the company that makes the majority of high end semiconductors and we cannot allow China to somehow take that facility in one piece and all its key personnel.  

Otherwise, it is best not to get into a direct engagement with China that would disrupt international commerce in the Pacific to any greater degree.  We simply are not in a position to do so and as hard a pill as that is to swallow for the chest thumpers here it's the God's honest truth.  

If you want to go around kicking the #$%* out of every guy that looks at your crossways than you'd need to put some time in at the gym and in the dojo or boxing ring.  If you had that attitude and spent all your free time eating Bacon Burgers, drinking beer, and being a disgusting fat body with soft hands you'd learn some hard lessons pretty quickly about your actual limits.   Well, the USA hasn't put in the work necessary to go starting fights and we've let ourselves go to such a significant degree now with our dependence on foreign trade and weakened society that if we keep running to every fire for a fight we're going to learn some hard lessons pretty quickly about our actual limits.

If you are a conservative "hawk" and want the USA dropping bombs everywhere than you better do something about the piss poor state of our nation.  The USA is basically "Fat Thor" we can get strong again, but we got a lot of work to do first and we're not going to be able to do that in time to have an impact on a war with China if we wait until one starts to get our act together. You can see with Ukraine right now how hard it is to get your act together if you wait until an actual war starts, the prep time has to be done during peace time.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#18]

In aircraft and ship travel 100 miles is a stones throw. That’s not even a 2 hour drive on I-5 or I-95

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_1889_jpeg-3170910.JPG

View Quote

I’ll admit I didn’t read the whole thread. How many other island chains beyond Senkaku does China claim to own? If they have Taiwan then a few smaller island chains will be their’s in short order.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Dagoth-Ur:

How many world wars and millions have to be fought and have to die before you people stop fighting and dying for bankers?
View Quote
I guess we should have given Hitler Europe, Russia (maybe), and North Africa.  I'm sure he would have stopped there....

Or he may have grown more powerful with more land and resources, and came for us next.  At some point we have to knock down the bully or the bully will keep bullying.

Russia will take this country, then that country, then the next country.  

At some point we have to stand up because this is a long game.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#21]
This is above my pay grade so I will not speculate.  If nukes are involved then no f---ing way.

We need to be building the f--- out of some semiconductor fabs here in the states though...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

What you’re saying is that you haven’t the smallest clue how strategically important Taiwan is to US interests…
View All Quotes

Everything could be strategically important.

I think it would probably be cheaper to set up chip manufacturing in the US than to go to war with chiba over it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#23]

I’ll admit I didn’t read the whole thread. How many other island chains beyond Senkaku does China claim to own? If they have Taiwan then a few smaller island chains will be their’s in short order.
View Quote

Korea China and Japan also all contest a rock that fit some reason works them all up into such a tizzy they do weird shit that hits news headlines overseas sometimes.

Japan is still currently bitching at Russia over northern islands disputes

These places are so close that it’s a tinderbox which some fervent jackass could spark at any moment
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Everyone saying build microchips in USA please watch Chris Miller FREE YouTube video “Chip wars” or at least read news on USA fab status in U.S. news every month

There’s a huge disconnect on what you all assume and what is the case

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:15:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chadnutz] [#25]

apparently a lot since everyone still seems to be jacking off to going to war at every opportunity.....

i mean if only a book was written about it..."War Is a Racket"....oh well never mind

And we really should go die by the millions to save an island that we legally admit is part of China....you know, because Globohomo assholes like the Bush's gave them Our most Profitable industry back in the 70s,  because "muh labour costs...."
View Quote
It isn't us jacking off about going to war.

It is Russia, China, Iran, and NK jacking off about going to war.  If these countries behaved like normal countries, we would NEVER talk about going to war.

So just remember, somewhere, some country has a plan to kill you.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:16:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#26]
90 minute video you can listen to while doing laundry or making dinner or driving and update yourself on microchips for the USA

Professor Chris Miller - “Chip War: The Fight for the World's Most Critical Technology”
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#27]

War or no war China attempting a military take over of Taiwan results in global depression not recession, depression as in 1930s style America not Obama 2009-2016
A Great Depression, 7 to 10 trillion economic loss and trade with Japan and South Korea lost for the rest of the century

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2024-01-09/economy-risks-latest-taiwan-war-would-cost-world-10-trillion

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_1678_jpeg-3170201.JPG
View All Quotes
I need to have an idea of how large an impact to not only the US, but to the world, a sudden stoppage of all of the integrated circuits, and other systems, would be.

War or no war China attempting a military take over of Taiwan results in global depression not recession, depression as in 1930s style America not Obama 2009-2016
A Great Depression, 7 to 10 trillion economic loss and trade with Japan and South Korea lost for the rest of the century

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2024-01-09/economy-risks-latest-taiwan-war-would-cost-world-10-trillion

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_1678_jpeg-3170201.JPG

It's sad how so few people understand that military conflict would be preferable to a situation like that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:17:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#28]

Korea China and Japan also all contest a rock that fit some reason works them all up into such a tizzy they do weird shit that hits news headlines overseas sometimes.

These places are so close that it’s a tinderbox which some fervent jackass could spark at any moment
View Quote

Well, and that is the wild card.

Xi, has consolidated power and he's been in power for a very long time which has a tendency to make human beings weird and detached from reality.   Xi coudl wake up on the wrong side of the bed one day and the whole world will go up in flames.

Too much chest thumping, too much military build up by all sides, and we could end up in WW3 over two fishermen from different nations having a water fight.  

There are fewer and fewer adults in charge around the world.  We're all living at the mercy of some very unimpressive and increasingly weird folks
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Chadnutz:
It isn't us jacking off about going to war.

It is Russia, China, Iran, and NK jacking off about going to war.  If this countries behaved like normal countries, we would NEVER talk about going to war.

So just remember, somewhere, some country has a plan to kill you.  
View Quote

When someone paints a narrative that mirrors Chinese state news by using their parameters and word choices, I’m pretty sure it ain’t Joe voter on main street USA Im dealing with online.

It’s the internet, people from bunga bunga can log on and interact with people from Xanadu
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Orion10182011:
This is above my pay grade so I will not speculate.  If nukes are involved then no f---ing way.

We need to be building the f--- out of some semiconductor fabs here in the states though...
View Quote

If I had to point to one positive thing that was passed under Biden, then it would be the CHIPS Act.

I'm sure there's greed and incompetence in the execution of the bill, but we need to pull in chip plant manufacturing.  It won't be fast enough, more than likely.  Building chip plants are some of the hardest, most expensive, and time consuming projects there is.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#31]

It's sad how so few people understand that military conflict would be preferable to a situation like that.
View Quote

It’s an absolute shitty situation in which millions may suffer over PRIDE

It’s the geopolitical equivalent of some inner city black kid shooting another kid for stepping on his air Jordan’s accidentally or “disrespecting him”

The Chinese are still holding onto that hurt from the 19th century instead of letting the past stay in the past
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#32]

I think it would probably be cheaper to set up chip manufacturing in the US than to go to war with chiba over it.
View All Quotes

We are building plants, but if war happens within the next 10 years, then we won't have them operational fast enough.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:

Well, and that is the wild card.

Xi, has consolidated power and he's been in power for a very long time which has a tendency to make human beings weird and detached from reality.   Xi coudl wake up on the wrong side of the bed one day and the whole world will go up in flames.

Too much chest thumping, too much military build up by all sides, and we could end up in WW3 over two fishermen from different nations having a water fight.  

There are fewer and fewer adults in charge around the world.  We're all living at the mercy of some very unimpressive and increasingly weird folks
View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By whollyshite:

If I had to point to one positive thing that was passed under Biden, then it would be the CHIPS Act.

I'm sure there's greed and incompetence in the execution of the bill, but we need to pull in chip plant manufacturing.  It won't be fast enough, more than likely.  Building chip plants are some of the hardest, most expensive, and time consuming projects there is.
View Quote

Already delays for every company and that’s not factoring the DEI shit.

The timeline to reverse 30 years of losing what was already not a very huge market share for USA microchips way back in the 1990s is daunting and complicated. Let alone ever matching South Korea & Taiwan today. They’ve had 30+ years to get where they got
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Biden leap frogging off Trump microchip policies trying to take a victory lap for the election while victory is not even in eyesight of 2024

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/19/technology/semiconductor-chip-factories-delays.html

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Kind of what I remembered. Even if the island doesn’t have mineral reserves or strategic importance “saving face” is a big issue. They literally may be willing to go to war over a worthless rock
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#37]
I hate to be cynical, but I was never confident that the CHIPS Act was anything more than a money laundering operation to pay off corporate political donors in the tech / chip industry.

I drive by a plant with several fabs that used to manufacture DRAM, but they moved operations overseas.  The fabs sit idle.  Why aren’t they being brought back online?  Then I hear Biden’s DEI requirements are making the beneficiaries of the legislation reconsider following through with domestic production.  Surprise!

Where did the infrastructure for Intel, AMD, TI, Micron and others go?  Why can the existing fabs not be equipped with new tooling for renewed production?  I used to talk to the regional VP for AP Jeff Fletcher at FAB 3 where I worked.  Does Applied Materials not exist anymore?  I met him the first time as an A-6 pilot giving CAS training at Ft Sill but lost contact with him.  

The workforce was probably 95% worker bees and 5% engineers, so surely it’s not like finding educated engineers to do the grunt work in wet tech, dry tech, production control, etc. is holding up production.  

Something doesn’t add up. What’s going on?

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#38]

At a bare minimum 87% of GD would not be involved in any fighting against China. Honestly more like 99.9%
View Quote

100% of the politicians that will be sending our kids off to die won't be involved either.  So what's your point?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By staringback05:
Is it strategically important in terms of chips? Or can we produce substantial quantities on our own? That's the answer
View Quote

We can't.  Though we are building fabs as a contingency.  Probably too f---ing late though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:44:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: killstick_engaged] [#40]
View Quote

Lol. It's too late. Sitting fedgov is not serious about any conflicts they can't launder money through. Arming and supplying Taiwan would put naval assets at risk as well.

The will simply isn't there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Our long range stuff would put MAJOR hurt on China but the problem is we’d run out of it in 4 to 6 weeks time
View Quote

Long range anti ship misses are in very short supply.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#42]
If they strike US assets retaliation is in order, that can't go unchecked.

Going to war with/for Taiwan is a lot more complex than that. How bad does Taiwan want to be independent, how hard will they fight and how much have they invested in their ability to defend themselves.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#43]

So we agreeing upon a wager?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Vikingsouthpaw:
They will be 2nm and build in Phenoix, AZ and Columbus, Ohio.

So we agreeing upon a wager?

Unfair trade. A lame, unproven 2023 account for a content MVP?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Fullautoguy:
Chinese Christians are only slightly higher up the oppression ladder than the Uyghurs and are in far less numbers so they won’t be doing anything close to revolution other than the dying part.  The Chinese military is massive and is primarily for internal use and unless large parts of that military decides that they have had enough of the CCP nothing is going to change other than the faces in the party.  

The one and only silver lining about relationship that the US and China is that if we went to war it would do a hell of a lot more damage to them economically and socially to them than us.  We could limp along for a while and yes it would suck but eventually chip fabs would come back and be on us soil and we could produce our own rubber dog shit locally or at least have it produced in places like Mexico that currently have no ability militarily to cause us issues and pretty much never will.  I understand that we pretty much set all of this in motion years ago with Nixon getting buddy buddy with the ccp and opening up much larger trade with them, but the part I have never understood other than people being greedy is why we ever let chip manufacturers to off shore production of critical national assets to a nation that its neighbor had an axe to grind with them and constantly threatens to invade.
View Quote

IMO, the bold is not true anymore. The key is Europe. If Europe joins the US in sanctions & embargoes on China, China loses. If Europe does not, US loses. It's that simple, and the loss would be more profound that most of GD can grasp.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Dammit! Got mixed up between threads with similar titles.

Merger?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Unfair trade. A lame, unproven 2023 account for a content MVP?
View Quote

True but having fun implying that distinction.

The subtle pro China talking points in posts and eventually blatant pro China posts will only increase the closer we get to actual war.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Nicodemus7:
If they strike US assets retaliation is in order, that can't go unchecked.

Going to war with/for Taiwan is a lot more complex than that. How bad does Taiwan want to be independent, how hard will they fight and how much have they invested in their ability to defend themselves.
View Quote

Hard to defend yourself with weapons you paid for when Trump was President still not delivered

US$19 Billion in U.S. Weapons to Taiwan Still Delayed | TaiwanPlus News
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#48]

The timeline to reverse 30 years of losing what was already not a very huge market share for USA microchips way back in the 1990s is daunting and complicated. Let alone ever matching South Korea & Taiwan today. They’ve had 30+ years to get where they got
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By whollyshite:

I can't deny that...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

You’re totally not paying attention to this thread, and once again have no clue what you’re talking about.

You should catch up before posting.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#50]
True but having fun implying that distinction.

The subtle pro China talking points in posts and eventually blatant pro China posts will only increase the closer we get to actual war.
View Quote

So just like the cadre of Putinbros, we're going to see more Xibros getting more pushy. Great.
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top