Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 52
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:05:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That is a ship of significant size. Not among the largest, but still a massive and heavy ship.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:05:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Harmonic_Distortion:

The traffic pretty much stopped crossing just before impact so there was some type of warning. Mb construction workers saved lives by blocking traffic. Watch closely.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Harmonic_Distortion:
Originally Posted By Stlrain0341:
Longer video that shows the "before." Certainly seems that it steered right into the support column. Bridge went down immediately.

link

The traffic pretty much stopped crossing just before impact so there was some type of warning. Mb construction workers saved lives by blocking traffic. Watch closely.

I noticed the lack of traffic immediately before the event too. There was a decent amount of cars and semis prior to that. If they were able to stop traffic I hope they were able to save themselves too

Though that would take some incredible situational awareness. Who looks at boats going under bridges and verifies they're clear of supports?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:05:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: czechsix] [#3]
Never mind, wrong incident.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:05:36 AM EDT
[#4]
God damn.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:06:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SimonPhoto:

Fuck.

A couple of things I think I see here:

First, there is no smoke coming from that ship in the very beginning. It looks like they really gave it everything it had, based on the volume of smoke.

Second, they turned directly into the bridge support - but seemed to try to turn away just before impact.
View Quote

The lights go off on the ship before the crash.  That indicates something, don't know what.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:06:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Those poor folks, that's terrible.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:06:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Or was it on purpose with intent to disrupt our infrastructure?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:06:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SamBoga] [#8]
Lights went out then came back on the ship, maybe a power/mechanical failure caused the ship to lose steering. Interesting to see if there were any comms from the ship prior.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:07:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sierra5] [#9]
Originally Posted By czechsix:
[tweet][/tweet]
View Quote

Fake, there was no explosion like that. Comments say it’s footage from Ukraine.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:08:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Fake, there was no explosion like that. Comments say it's footage from Ukraine.
View Quote
I'll pull it, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:08:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By bodybagger:
Prayers for those on the bridge.

Curious about the ships crew and intentions. Does anyone know if it was going inland or outbound?
View Quote

Coming in to port, I'm 99% sure.

You can see Fort Carroll on the right side of the bridge, behind the right pier for the central span.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:08:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Longer video that shows the "before." Certainly seems that it steered right into the support column. Bridge went down immediately.
link
View Quote

That damn near looks intentional.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:09:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Lifter19:
Scanner just said 20 construction workers were on the bridge and also said the ship will not answer the radio.
View Quote

Things that make you go, hmmm. Wonder what language was spoken on that tub.?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:09:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By czechsix:
Never mind, wrong incident.
View Quote

Nope - that's the Kerch bridge in Ukraine.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:10:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Fake, there was no explosion like that. Comments say it’s footage from Ukraine.
View Quote

Kurch (sp) Strait bridge, Crimea.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:11:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I already avoid large bridges when possible. This is terrible
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:12:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SamBoga] [#17]
Baltimore is a major port on the east coast, this will screw things up for a while.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:12:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BFskinner:
They were far from where they should have been and the hit looks dead center on the support.  

It makes you suspicious but the fact that it happened in the middle of the night would not seem to be what a terrorist would do if they had another option.

However, I guess if it was intentional whomever hijacked the ship would have to work with the ships sailing schedule and not be able to pick a time of day that would result in maximum casualties.
View Quote

Bingo.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:13:17 AM EDT
[#19]

link

View Quote

Damn.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:14:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Flogger23m] [#20]
Originally Posted By myitinaw:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By myitinaw:
link

Looks like at least four cars. The light seem to be flashing. Last truck and car across looked normal. Wondering if those were police cars that were alerted about the ship and trying to block the path forward? Kind of hard to believe they couldn't throw the anchor down if there was some type of problem and they had time to alert emergency services though I know nothing of large ships.

I suppose the only "good thing" is this happened around midnight so I assume less traffic than midday.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:15:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By PanelVanHalen:

No kidding.  Some may remember the Sunshine Skyway bridge disaster down in Tampa Bay, late 80s I guess.  I wasn't there for it, but rode across the replacement span at night before the original was taken down, and it scared the shit out of me seeing the end where it broke off, in the dark it was like a horror movie scene.  I get sweaty palms driving across large bridges all the time.
View Quote

A Collision of Guilt: The Sunshine Skyway Bridge Collapse
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:17:28 AM EDT
[#22]
DAMN. The SAR is going to be a mess.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:17:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:18:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Port of Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland USA | StreamTime LIVE
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:18:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Damn, this is not going to be good. Not an engineer, but that seems like a poor bridge design.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:21:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
Damn, this is not going to be good. Not an engineer, but that seems like a poor bridge design.
View Quote

Good enough for 46 years
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:22:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Prayers to families for those lost on the bridge.  This is a whopping mess.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:22:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By PanelVanHalen:
The lights go off on the ship before the crash.  That indicates something, don't know what.
View Quote

The lights go off after the ship hits the bridge and the span falls on it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:22:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
View Quote

You mean the bridge that has been just fine since 1977....but collapsed after getting hit by a very large ship?

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:24:16 AM EDT
[#30]
The lights going out means power failure which means steering failure.  There may have been some incompetence also by intending to pass too close to the pier to have time to restore steering in the event of a problem.  There's no reason to think terrorism.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:25:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Just saw a video of it. That bridge got scratched. Can't wait to hear the details.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:26:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Fuck!!

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:26:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MudEagle:

View Quote

In the longer video, the lights of the ship dim/go out at 33 seconds. They seem to come back on at 50 seconds. The ship makes impact around 1:35 and the collapse begins around 1:37.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:26:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Congress and Biden will just send more money to Ukraine and Israel.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:28:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SnoGoRider] [#35]
deleted posters are saying this is not the bridge in question. I was taken off at one of the Twitter news feed comments.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:28:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:29:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sierra5] [#37]

Lmfao that’s a bridge in Ukraine from a year+ ago

Doesn’t even look like the same bridge dude. Don’t go on the internet if you can’t use your brain.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:29:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sierra5] [#38]

People, stop posting that.  That is in Ukraine.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:30:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sierra5] [#39]

That's a bridge in Crimea.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:30:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SnoGoRider:
View Quote

Delete this.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:31:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SimonPhoto] [#41]
@Gloworm19 referenced chart NOAA 12278, and while I'm no mariner, this isn't making any fucking sense to me.

Here's the chart. The long video was taken from the Northwest of the bridge. I know this because the right pier for the main span, the powerline tower (with lighted top) is in front, and Fort Carrol is in the background.

Here's a screenshot from Google Earth to show roughly how they all line up:

Now go back and look at the long video. The ship makes a hard right, bringing it directly toward the camera. If we estimate that the ship was about 30º from heading at the camera to begin with, that puts it coming from Sollers Point Shoal - nowhere near any channel.

What's more... Sollers Point Shoal has a sounding of like 7' in most places - and that ship has a draught of 12.2m.

Again, I'm nowhere near an expert in this area, but I can read a damned map. I don't see how it's possible that ship was where it was by accident.

ETA: Image links aren't working not sure why. I'm pretty sure I've uploaded PNGs here before...
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:32:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By neshomamench:

In the longer video, the lights of the ship dim/go out at 33 seconds. They seem to come back on at 50 seconds. The ship makes impact around 1:35 and the collapse begins around 1:37.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By neshomamench:
Originally Posted By MudEagle:

Note also that the longer video is at 2x speed.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:32:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SamBoga] [#43]

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:32:43 AM EDT
[#44]

Note also that the longer video is at 2x speed.
View Quote

Yes, but it doesnt change the time stamps and sequence of events.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:33:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#45]
Major disruption to both the port and traffic.   I bet the markets will be in turmoil today.

the Port of Baltimore generates nearly $3.3 billion in total personal income and supports 15,330 direct jobs and 139,180 jobs connected to Port work. The Port also generates more than $395 million in taxes and $2.6 billion in business income. It serves over 50 ocean carriers making nearly 1,800 annual visits
View Quote

I wonder how long it will take them to clear the channel of debris?

Is the Key Bridge the hazmat truck route for I-95 through Baltimore as well?  

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:33:49 AM EDT
[#46]
First there was Sky King, now there's Sea Emperor.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:37:29 AM EDT
[#47]
whoa. 5 miles from me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:37:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By BourbonBeast:

Lmfao that’s a bridge in Ukraine from a year+ ago

Doesn’t even look like the same bridge dude. Don’t go on the internet if you can’t use your brain.
View Quote

I don't even know what Crimea bridge looks like, I never even seen pictures of it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:37:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Russian gray zone warfare?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:38:18 AM EDT
[#50]
@Gloworm19 referenced chart NOAA 12278, and while I'm no mariner, this isn't making any fucking sense to me.

Here's the chart. The long video was taken from the Northwest of the bridge. I know this because the right pier for the main span, the powerline tower (with lighted top) is in front, and Fort Carrol is in the background.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74968/Screenshot_2024-03-26_at_3_22_06

Here's a screenshot from Google Earth to show roughly how they all line up:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74968/Screenshot_2024-03-26_at_3_24_51

Now go back and look at the long video. The ship makes a hard right, bringing it directly toward the camera. If we estimate that the ship was about 30  from heading at the camera to begin with, that puts it coming from Sollers Point Shoal - nowhere near any channel.

What's more... Sollers Point Shoal has a sounding of like 7' in most places - and that ship has a draught of 12.2m.

Again, I'm nowhere near an expert in this area, but I can read a damned map. I don't see how it's possible that ship was where it was by accident.

ETA: Image links aren't working not sure why. I'm pretty sure I've uploaded PNGs here before...
View Quote
Here's the track:

Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top