Site Notices
Lone survivor revisited (Page 3 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JarheadPatriot:
Oh, I understand. I'm just saying, we're
coming up on the 19th anniversary of that debacle, and it's the first I'm reading anything like that.
View Quote

Understood, thanks for clarifying. This is the first time I’ve heard it too. The axleson situation was never really clearly spoken of. It’s a sad situation and I hope the families find peace and love.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By S-1:

Brent Tucker is a Delta guy. He spends his time talking about NSW's dirty laundry and getting clicks. Maybe he should talk about his own units wrong doings as there is plenty.

An active or very recently retired A Squadron guy didn't have good things to say about Brent. Pretty interesting.
View Quote

But the guy in the podcast is a seal giving his perspective.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:45:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PeepEater] [#3]
Originally Posted By RandyLahey01:

Understood, thanks for clarifying. This is the first time I’ve heard it too. The axleson situation was never really clearly spoken of. It’s a sad situation and I hope the families find peace and love.
View Quote

The original story was that Marcus was captured and beaten before being turned over to the villagers. It's changed a few times over the years.

" In real life, this suspenseful scene never happened. In the book, eight Taliban fighters barged into the room and beat Luttrell, breaking the bones in his wrist. They interrogated him for six hours, but they only threatened to behead him by telling him that they took the heads of his teammates and he was next."

https://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/lone-survivor.php

"When I did get captured, the only thing I held onto was the fact that my teammates were going to come get me, period.”

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2014/06/06/lone-survivor-marcus-luttrells-response-when-asked-if-he-wouldve-wanted-the-u-s-government-to-trade-taliban-prisoners-to-free-him
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:56:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Lone Survivor is a work of fiction.

A great deal of what's being bandied about as "new information" in this thread is also fiction.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:58:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DvlDog] [#5]
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

They were a SDV team that didn't have a lot of land warfare experience. This mission was shopped around and this SEAL team took it.

They didn't have the right equipment and the mission was poorly planned. Prior to 9/11 the SDV teams were where you didn't want to go as a new SEAL.

The whole thing about being attacked by dozens to hundreds of fighters is pure embellishment. Well respected authors and war writers have gone over loads of evidence and put the number of enemy fighters at 15 at most.
View Quote

NO. The mission was NOT shopped around. It was a USMC mission handed to a scout/sniper team but they needed rotary wing that could function in high density altitude. The SEAL det commander owned the chinooks. The Navy commander refused the support request to allow the chinooks under his command to insert the scout/snipers and told the Marine officer to hand over the mission or it wouldn’t get done at all.

I was there for the planning of the Marine mission and in the Fusion Cell and TOC as this was going down. Everytime this story gets told theres more bad guys. They got fucked up by 8-12 guys
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:02:04 AM EDT
[#6]
If one of the FOIA requests is successful in getting the drone feed, it will be interesting to dissect.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:05:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AzzFaceKillah] [#7]
Originally Posted By Usernames:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dquy8wR6JkU

I remember thinking it made no sense while reading the book when it first came out.

You have to hold some impromptu vote rather than having an sop?

Amongst other things.

Then the video by the ambushers came out.

The story just didn't pass the smell test.
View Quote

That's one thing. John Chapman was a dude. Probably killed 15 or 16 Checnens or Uzbeks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:08:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Josh:
Lone Survivor is a work of fiction.

A great deal of what's being bandied about as "new information" in this thread is also fiction.
View Quote

I'm sadly gonna have to agree. Except for Marcus I think the rest were killed in the first 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:14:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AzzFaceKillah:
View Quote

Most likely every one of em died within about a five minute range, except for Lutrell.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:27:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Charlie556:
I wanted to post something in this thread but I didn’t want to be disrespectful to the people who have way more insight into this than me or sound callous about the subject or the person involved. I’ve never been there or done that but I have a couple of questions.

Why was it important that the survivor was found having loaded mags in his carrier’s? Did he claim to be out of ammunition at some point and that it affected his actions or decisions?

It’s said now that he was running away at some point. Was this during a fight or after or what?

I’ve never read the book or seen the movie I’m just going on different things I’ve seen and read over the years.

Thanks for any answers I get.

RIP to those men. I think they deserved better than they got from the people who were supposed to be supporting them.

View Quote

Because if true it means his entire team died in a firefight and he never fired a round.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:57:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AzzFaceKillah] [#11]
Originally Posted By PabloMcGlock:

Because if true it means his entire team died in a firefight and he never fired a round.
View Quote

Do you believe that?
It is possible, I'd like not to think that.
Have you ever killed anyone?

I'm only asking, cause I don't believe you have.

I on the other hand.

I ain't happy about it. Just a fact of the matter. I'd take it back if I could.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:49:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DvlDog:

NO. The mission was NOT shopped around. It was a USMC mission handed to a scout/sniper team but they needed rotary wing that could function in high density altitude. The SEAL det commander owned the chinooks. The Navy commander refused the support request to allow the chinooks under his command to insert the scout/snipers and told the Marine officer to hand over the mission or it wouldn’t get done at all.

I was there for the planning of the Marine mission and in the Fusion Cell and TOC as this was going down. Everytime this story gets told theres more bad guys. They got fucked up by 8-12 guys
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They were a SDV team that didn't have a lot of land warfare experience. This mission was shopped around and this SEAL team took it.

They didn't have the right equipment and the mission was poorly planned. Prior to 9/11 the SDV teams were where you didn't want to go as a new SEAL.

The whole thing about being attacked by dozens to hundreds of fighters is pure embellishment. Well respected authors and war writers have gone over loads of evidence and put the number of enemy fighters at 15 at most.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:16:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:

Marine mission for a relatively low priority target.

Marines don't have the proper equipment or training to fly there during that time of the month do to low/no light

Find out 160th will/can do it, but 160th is SOF and mainly worked with SEALs at the time, so SEALS were chosen for the RECCE mission

When they get found by shephards, SOP was to call in and ask,  they can't get in contact. So they cut loose immediately.

Come under fire, cannot get in contact, they've made all their radio checks, so word on the street is the TOC got lax and were outside playing and not constantly watching.

Murphy has to call Virginia with sat phone so they could call the TOC. Finally word gets to their help.

USMC already had QRF planned/ready, but SF wanted to keep internal. Shithooks loaded up and at last second  1st tier SEALS get pulled off the chopper because supposedly command knew of the SA7 threat but didn't tell anyone and pulled their guys so they didn't die.

Chinook is hit right in the engine, typical of a SA7 not an inaccurate RPG.

Other bird sees "swirling object" hit it. AKA a missed under guidance making corrections.

Second bird was ready to offload help but get ordered back.

During recovery of the downed bird get a signal from Marcus, guys stripped down and haul ass down there to find the village. When they get there they bring Marcus out.

Marcus is found to be unhelpful and basically told them all his teammates are dead, and couldn't really tell them where exactly to find them. Marcus walked himself to the helicopter.

Marcus telling him they're all dead put a hault to finding them ASAP so the recovery was slow rolled... they didn't want to risk more lives.

8-10 days later when SEALS from Germany arrive (again USMC still not asked for help) they FINALLY share the Rally Point position with the recovery teams.

Find Axelson leaned up to a tree no too far away and he was supposedly only dead for 2 days when they found him.

I missed the part where he kept repeating Marcus said on live air during a CNN interview in the early days, when Murphy called out for help he dropped his rifle, covered his ears and ran.

Supposedly there is Predator video of him running away

I probably missed some, typed on a phone, so probably lots of errors
View Quote

That’s why Axe was remarkably preserved when they found him.  His story is the most I want to read about.  He was a bad ass.  How they show his death in the movie is wrong.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:40:59 AM EDT
[#14]
RLTW
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:44:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: feetpiece] [#15]

Brent Tucker is a Delta guy. He spends his time talking about NSW's dirty laundry and getting clicks. Maybe he should talk about his own units wrong doings as there is plenty.

An active or very recently retired A Squadron guy didn't have good things to say about Brent. Pretty interesting.
View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

Originally Posted By PeepEater:
Originally Posted By feetpiece:

When you find out the SFOD-D Ground Commander was written out of BHD and hired by Sig USA after he retired would you still believe what happened to Shugart and Gordon?

https://media.defense.gov/2019/Jun/28/2002151579/-1/-1/0/181207-A-ZZ999-780.JPG

The Gordon and Shugart story makes a whole lot more sense when you read the real story and realize they planned on having their chopper cover them with a minigun until about 10 minutes after dropping the snipers off it was hit by an RPG and almost crashed. Four helicopters were hit with RPGs that day but two managed to not crash inside the city. If their bird wasn't shot down it's very likely they could have pulled Durant out and extracted him.

I was 2-15FA and there were more than a few 2-14 dudes playing OPFOR for us during Mountain Peak 97 and they did not fuck around. Suppression of there side of BHD to glorify Gothic Serpent is no different than NSW giving 2/3 the finger twelve years later:

Black Hawk Down The Untold Story - Director's Cut

But the guy in the podcast is a seal giving his perspective.

That's the other thing, I've never met a retired SEAL who who shit on one of their own outside of their community. Deming naming the SEAL Commander responsible for Roberts Ridge and Lone Survivor while t-bagging Jocko and Chris Kyle was eye opening.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By feudist:

The podcast interviewer fully endorses an investigative reporter that did the expose on ST6 "Code Over Country." in another podcast where he goes after Rob O'Neil with everything but the kitchen sink.
The podcast twat wearing sunglasses literally creams at all the conspiracy theories.

View Quote

Glad I'm not the only one - could that dude look like more of a colossal douche canoe?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By feetpiece:That's the other thing, I've never met a retired SEAL who who shit on one of their own outside of their community. Deming naming the SEAL Commander responsible for Roberts Ridge and Lone Survivor while t-bagging Jocko and Chris Kyle was eye opening.
View Quote
Based on that alone I’m not inclined to take the dude at face value barring corroboration.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#19]
OP, thanks for posting that.

Don't know what to believe. What a shit show, as always when this comes up.

Podcaster with the suunglasses, lol, what an ass clown.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:56:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: feetpiece] [#20]
Originally Posted By FivespeedF150:
Based on that alone I’m not inclined to take the dude at face value barring corroboration.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By feetpiece:That's the other thing, I've never met a retired SEAL who who shit on one of their own outside of their community. Deming naming the SEAL Commander responsible for Roberts Ridge and Lone Survivor while t-bagging Jocko and Chris Kyle was eye opening.

IMO the murder of SSG Logan Melgar motivated a lot of dudes to speak out and this is just the beginning.

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
Valid point.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:20:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#22]
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:
Or how the Afghan guy that helped was treated later, I'm sure there is two sides to that story.
View Quote

Marcus helped the afghan come over, but then cut contact when he wouldn't go along with marcus' retelling of events

The afghan said the seals were ambushed by a small group of about 7 guys. The afghani said the insurgents heard the helicopters and immediately knew there were troops above the town. The seals didn't see it coming and the fight itself only lasted a couple minutes, with most seals getting hit within the first 30 seconds. There were no insurgent bodies seen while recovering the seals, implying none of them were killed. Which was also what the afghan said.

The sheep farmer was actually just an insurgent scouting them to verify their location.

The families of the seals who died were aware of this and asked marcus to not make the movie. And he did anyways.

I think the military was trying to cover up their incompetence with a story of a hero.

The real hero who earned a movie was Chapman.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

This gets better.  So, per your last paragraph, were you in or around the TOC when the team declared they'd been compromised, and needed to be extracted?  If so, were the radio calls from the team missed because those nets weren't being monitored?  And only were monitored, and the extraction request received, after receiving information from whoever was on the other end of the team's satellite phone call that the team was calling for help?

All of the above are supposedly claims made in this podcast.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#24]

That's one thing. John Chapman was a dude. Probably killed 15 or 16 Checnens or Uzbeks.
View Quote

And ended up being left on that mountain top to die.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:38:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wayfaerer320] [#25]
I'm sure Army Special Forces has had some shit happen too, but it sure seems like the SEALs are leagues ahead of them in the fucked up shit department. But I'm sure the SEALs are like any other organization on Earth - there are standup guys and there are clowns.

I did love this clip of Andy Stumpf telling his fellow SEAL he was speaking like an idiot:

"Shut The F*ck Up" - Andy Stumpf GOES OFF on Sean Strickland Navy SEAL Viral Video

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

most of the things he said were already being said by numerous people but in more low key ways.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes

IMO the murder of SSG Logan Melgar motivated a lot of dudes to speak out and this is just the beginning.

Click To View Spoiler

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/11/16/us/politics/16dc-commando-print/merlin_130069019_6f345eb7-1aad-404a-a6d9-e3ebdd979bbe-superJumbo.jpg

Again... NSW generates "clicks" as they are the popular thing right now. There is a LOT of shit that has happened with SF and Delta guys too. Drug trafficking, drug use, rape, sex trafficking, murders, dui's severely injuring kids etc etc.

Speaking of Tier 1 guys killing Green Berets. Go down the rabbit hole of William Lavigne and that cover up by the unit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Again... NSW generates "clicks" as they are the popular thing right now. There is a LOT of shit that has happened with SF and Delta guys too. Drug trafficking, drug use, rape, sex trafficking, murders, dui's severely injuring kids etc etc.

Speaking of Tier 1 guys killing Green Berets. Go down the rabbit hole of William Lavigne and that cover up by the unit.
View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/11/16/us/politics/16dc-commando-print/merlin_130069019_6f345eb7-1aad-404a-a6d9-e3ebdd979bbe-superJumbo.jpg

Jesus, I wish I hadn't but thanks. I missed out on Bragg but it sounds like there's a lot more going on than in Clarksville.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

Glad I'm not the only one - could that dude look like more of a colossal douche canoe?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269084/Screenshot_20240327_073849_YouTube_jpg-3170709.JPG
View Quote

No
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By StanleySpidowski:

No
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269084/Screenshot_20240327_073849_YouTube_jpg-3170709.JPG

No

not even if he tried

guys like that -- to me -- come off as the Uncle Rico of veterans.  Glory days back when I could throw a pigskin a quarter mile.  Get over it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Jessica lynch rescue
Pat Tillman
Robert's ridge and John Chapman
Redwings

Some big time propaganda and cover up shit.
View Quote

There are some very talented people engaged in "reality shaping" in the military...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Click To View Spoiler

I was 2-15FA and there were more than a few 2-14 dudes playing OPFOR for us during Mountain Peak 97 and they did not fuck around. Suppression of there side of BHD to glorify Gothic Serpent is no different than NSW giving 2/3 the finger twelve years later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qec1xfi-eA

That's the other thing, I've never met a retired SEAL who who shit on one of their own outside of their community. Deming naming the SEAL Commander responsible for Roberts Ridge and Lone Survivor while t-bagging Jocko and Chris Kyle was eye opening.
View Quote

Isn't that what Richard Marcinko was accused of when he released Rogue Warrior and Red Cell? He "broke the code" of the time and betrayed the service. Yet those who accused him were right on his heels releasing their books.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

is it a bigger issue that people are beating up on the Navy or that no one from the Navy has decided to start doing the same towards the Army?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

not even if he tried

guys like that -- to me -- come off as the Uncle Rico of veterans.  Glory days back when I could throw a pigskin a quarter mile.  Get over it.
View Quote

Takes credibility from the entire podcast.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

is it a bigger issue that people are beating up on the Navy or that no one from the Navy has decided to start doing the same towards the Army?
View Quote

There is something wrong with the SEAL culture, I worked with some awesome ones but you do run into many of the younger ones that take the position if you don’t have a trident, you are worthless.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:07:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#36]
Originally Posted By R0N:

There is something wrong with the SEAL culture, I worked with some awesome ones but you do run into many of the younger ones that take the position if you don’t have a trident, you are worthless.
View Quote

I've spent way more time around the Army and that has always been the sentiment from the guys that were around the Navy for extended periods of time.  Of the few team guys Ive worked around most were pretty cool but the douchbags were very much like you describe.

Not directed at you R0N

murder, rape, drug dealing, etc happens throughout the military and no one has the market on it cornered.   IMO the Navy catches so much grief due to the way theyve portrayed themselves over the years  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Gopher:

Isn't that what Richard Marcinko was accused of when he released Rogue Warrior and Red Cell? He "broke the code" of the time and betrayed the service. Yet those who accused him were right on his heels releasing their books.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gopher:

Click To View Spoiler

Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

No

not even if he tried

For the record, it's not me. I'm too old and broken to pretend I was ever cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qec1xfi-eA

IMO Marcus is Jessica Lynch 2.0 and just along for the ride.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#38]
From all I have read about this.......

I believe the "story" that ended up becoming the narrative for the book and movie wasn't created by Marcus.

It was supplied to and agreed upon by Marcus as the official story via "Leadership"..........

If you think about it......he really didn't have much of a choice. The leadership had to come up with a narrative to explain what had taken place. There was no way they could allow the truth of what happened to actually get out. Marcus was fortunate enough to live through the initial ambush and basically escaped and evaded his way down the mountain while trying to contact anybody he could on whatever comms he had on him.

A 4 man recon team gets ambushed in their OP hide site, from an enemy position above them, with a belt fed LMG, RPG and AK's by 8 guys.....and two of the 4 are killed immediately, the two survivors are falling back trying to stay alive, while navigating steep ass mountain terrain......all while still being shot at and pursued by the enemy force.......with near zero comms.....At some point Marcus and Axe get separated enough that Marcus believes Axe is dead......He makes it down into an area where he gets found by Gulab....

Gulab takes him into his home and protects him until the Ranger, ODA, other bad ass dudes that hustled down from the crash sight to get him after hearing an American was alive in the village.

Maybe I am completely wrong.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

View Quote

I doubt anyone with direct access could comment here without fear of retribution.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Op needs to read this:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:00:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DvlDog] [#41]
View All Quotes

Shitting on them is more believable than dick riding them. I was in Ramadi when Jocko was the cmdr of the SEAL det. The NSW guys all pissed and moaned about him but everyone else respected him because he could see the big picture. He didnt treat the war like a photo op. Ill give you an example. I got marooned at an LP in the city and caught a ride with some SEALs back to Camp Ramadi. They were going there instead of Blue Diamond for good chow and the PX. We pull up in front of the PX and one of the SEALs (they were all wearing Marine FROG suits) bumps into a Marine major and shoves him. The Major is pissed but lets it slide and yells at the group to turn around and hit the clearing barrel. The one who shoved him says “Suck my fucking dick” and walks into the PX. I was the only one who hit the barrel and ironically the only one that could have gotten away with telling a major to suck my dick.
 The Major does some officer shit and and yadda yadda yadda… the sailor got an Article 15 from Jocko. You would think Jocko was the villain to hear them talk. I don’t know if I ever spoke to him directly. I can’t even remember if he was the commander when Kyle was un-invited to our S2 meetings for telling ridiculous lies to people who knew better,
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:01:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#42]

I doubt anyone with direct access could comment here without fear of retribution.

View Quote

my comment was directed toward S-1 and others commenting about how only stuff is being said about the Navy
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

Marcus helped the afghan come over, but then cut contact when he wouldn't go along with marcus' retelling of events

The afghan said the seals were ambushed by a small group of about 7 guys. The afghani said the insurgents heard the helicopters and immediately knew there were troops above the town. The seals didn't see it coming and the fight itself only lasted a couple minutes, with most seals getting hit within the first 30 seconds. There were no insurgent bodies seen while recovering the seals, implying none of them were killed. Which was also what the afghan said.

The sheep farmer was actually just an insurgent scouting them to verify their location.

The families of the seals who died were aware of this and asked marcus to not make the movie. And he did anyways.

I think the military was trying to cover up their incompetence with a story of a hero.

View Quote

FACTS.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:09:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DvlDog] [#44]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

This gets better.  So, per your last paragraph, were you in or around the TOC when the team declared they'd been compromised, and needed to be extracted?  If so, were the radio calls from the team missed because those nets weren't being monitored?  And only were monitored, and the extraction request received, after receiving information from whoever was on the other end of the team's satellite phone call that the team was calling for help?

All of the above are supposedly claims made in this podcast.
View Quote

I wasn’t really paying attention. It wasn’t some super hot mission that riveted us. I was there for other reasons. I had my own job to do and came and went a few times. Everyone knew they were going up there with shit comms. The Marine radio chief was so uneasy about it he sent CYA emails to his entire chain detailing the conversations with the team regarding what he wanted them to take versus what they wanted to take. The original Marine plan had the Scout/Snipers inserting much, much farther away with other Marines inserting into re-trans sites. They went up there with shit coms BY CHOICE because they were fucking stupid.

People began paying attention when it went sideways and all hell broke loose but even then I can remember not caring too much until the bird got hit. That was the “oh shit” moment that I remember

Edited to add:

Get some kids walkie-talkies.
Turn them on.
Give one to your wife
Get in your car and drive 10mi away.
Get frustrated that your wife doesn’t answer.
Drive home and accuse her of not monitoring the net
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:
Or how the Afghan guy that helped was treated later, I'm sure there is two sides to that story.

Wasn't there also a claim that Marcus still had almost a full loadout when he was rescued too?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#46]

I wasn’t really paying attention. It wasn’t some super hot mission that riveted us. I was there for other reasons. I had my own job to do and came and went a few times. Everyone knew they were going up there with shit comms. The Marine radio chief was so uneasy about it he sent CYA emails to his entire chain detailing the conversations with the team regarding what he wanted them to take versus what they wanted to take. The original Marine plan had the Scout/Snipers inserting much, much farther away with other Marines inserting into re-trans sites. They went up there with shit coms BY CHOICE because they were fucking stupid.

People began paying attention when it went sideways and all hell broke loose but even then I can remember not caring too much until the bird got hit. That was the “oh shit” moment that I remember

Edited to add:

Turn them on.
Give one to your wife
View Quote

Yep. This was the way business was done up there. SATCOMS were unreliable, retrans was life, and PRC-119's were always being hauled.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:55:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larledge] [#47]
"Wasn't there also a claim that Marcus still had almost a full loadout when he was rescued too?"

Thats what I heard in the OP you tube link in first post
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:00:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TaskForce] [#48]
Jessica lynch rescue
Pat Tillman
Robert's ridge and John Chapman
Redwings

Some big time propaganda and cover up shit.
View Quote

Bowe Bergdahl.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#49]

Do you believe that?
It is possible, I'd like not to think that.
Have you ever killed anyone?

I'm only asking, cause I don't believe you have.

I on the other hand.

I ain't happy about it. Just a fact of the matter. I'd take it back if I could.
View Quote

Username checks out

Awesome oneupsmanship too
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Edited to add:

Turn them on.
Give one to your wife
View Quote

Well that clears that up. Craziness. Thanks for sharing. Your previous comments are also eye opening.
Page / 6
Lone survivor revisited (Page 3 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top