Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dano556x45mm:
Buy food and ammo
View Quote

Buy food. You’ll never outlive enough shootings a single case of ammo will support.

Be the guy nobody comes to shoot because you aren’t interesting.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:43:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Samal:

Am I broken? I want to get that feeling of "new and shiny" back! Maybe I should go to the LGC and see if something makes me all tingly when I fondle it.
View Quote

Maybe you are like me. You have enough of a collection that it's hard to find something new and/or interesting that you don't already have.

Lately I have developed an interest in older guns, but even there it's hard to find anything else I want. I went to gun shows for 3 Saturdays in a row earlier this month with cash in my pocket and did not spend a penny other than the entry fee.

I couldn't find anything that I did not already own (or something close to it) outside of some expensive stuff I would not spend the money on, even if I had it.

I don't know that you are broken, maybe more like topped out.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I shoot, I reload, I compete.  I haven't lost interest in shooting...just not buying any more guns
View Quote

Nothing wrong with that, buying lots of crap guns is stupid IMO.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you're on point.

I'd much rather hunt/shoot than buy guns. Once you have your bases covered.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Ive checked out on buying gun stuff for the past 6 months. Just not interesting to me at all. Probably because I rarely get to shoot anymore.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:20:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scott-S6] [#6]
I have a small collection of a few dozen firearms that nicely cover all my needs. A few of them are collectibles or just "nice to have." Usually, when I get a yearly bonus, I buy myself something nice, and sometimes, I get an urge to get something else midyear.

But not this year. I literally can't make myself want a gun badly enough to spend money on it. The bonus was good this year, and I could easily spend a couple of grand. But I don't feel any excitement anymore browsing gunstores, EE. Nothing catches my eye long enough or hard enough.

I shoot, I reload, I compete.  I haven't lost interest in shooting...just not buying any more guns

Am I broken? I want to get that feeling of "new and shiny" back! Maybe I should go to the LGC and see if something makes me all tingly when I fondle it.
View Quote

If you want a money pit of guns then start a collection. In 20 years most of your net worth will be tied up in swiss lugers or whatever.

Or, start using them more. Go and get involved in a new competitive discipline or set some personal improvement goals with measurables against them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Kinda similar, but more intense.
Used to be a group of 5-6 of us that had friendly competition every Monday at the range.  IDPA style with pistols, and 200 yard shoots off hand.  We were heavy into milsupr collecting (everything from revolutionary war to today).  So when we did rifles it was something different every week.  My collection grew.
Now, it is down to just me and one friend. It is not the same.  Everyone else moved away, not died, but I am getting old and have no children to leave my collection to.  I need to start weeding it down to just a few I can have fun with.  Trouble is, the kids these days are not collecting milsurp like they used to.
Ah well, retiring soon, and so I need to cut my collection down by about 95%, just need a few rifles and a few pistols because soon it will be just me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#8]
The older you get the more you realize you may not have time to enjoy what you have.   So buying more things is almost a waste of time.  

I don't think it's a bad thing to be content with what you already have.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#9]
B&T GHM9 SBR suppressed should cure you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Dr_Dickie:
Kinda similar, but more intense.
Used to be a group of 5-6 of us that had friendly competition every Monday at the range.  IDPA style with pistols, and 200 yard shoots off hand.  We were heavy into milsupr collecting (everything from revolutionary war to today).  So when we did rifles it was something different every week.  My collection grew.
Now, it is down to just me and one friend. It is not the same.  Everyone else moved away, not died, but I am getting old and have no children to leave my collection to.  I need to start weeding it down to just a few I can have fun with.  Trouble is, the kids these days are not collecting milsurp like they used to.
Ah well, retiring soon, and so I need to cut my collection down by about 95%, just need a few rifles and a few pistols because soon it will be just me.
View Quote

Depends on what it is. I’d love to get into milsurp stuff but I don’t want oddball calibers that I can’t buy off the shelf (and I don’t want to reload).
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I’ll tell you the truth. Unless I just get really motivated to get a couple of 22’s I’ll probably never buy another gun. I still love shooting, still love building and fiddling with AR’s since that scratches two itches but buying…no. I’ve had about everything so it just doesn’t interest me in buying more of what I’ve had before that I tired of or found I didn’t like.

Pretty soon it will probably be time to cull the heard again since I don’t really have anyone to pass anything down to unless the grandkids show some interest.

Ammo…yes. More guns…probably not.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I haven't bought a gun in 6 years.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:38:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: joe_sun] [#13]
Exactly the same for me, yeah there are some guns I’d like to own like a Sig 552 but my priorities have changed since COVID. We’ve been spending our money on experiences, trips, concerts, activities as well as on upgrading our house.

I can’t even remember the last time I went shooting and I didn’t even get a hunting license last year or yet this year.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Think of the children and grandchildren that will reflect warmly on their late relative who selflessly stocked a family arsenal for them. Unless you think it will be easier for them to buy weapons in the future.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Right there with you

NODS

Suppressors

Parts

Ammo
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:46:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#16]
Another issue I have is I have too many hobbies

My 1977 Bronco (if you think firearms are expensive….)
Woodworking
Photography
Restoring old tools
Collecting mechanical pencils and Hewlett-Packard Packard calculators
Drafting
Cooking

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Have you considered accessories?  I hear thermal is nice.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By nightstalker:
Suppressors?
scopes?
NVThermal
View Quote

This - buy the things that make your gun hobby more fun!  Thermal is like buying a super power!  :)

Red
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a small collection of a few dozen firearms that nicely cover all my needs. A few of them are collectibles or just "nice to have." Usually, when I get a yearly bonus, I buy myself something nice, and sometimes, I get an urge to get something else midyear.

But not this year. I literally can't make myself want a gun badly enough to spend money on it. The bonus was good this year, and I could easily spend a couple of grand. But I don't feel any excitement anymore browsing gunstores, EE. Nothing catches my eye long enough or hard enough.

View Quote

It’s a direct result of the IL assault weapons ban. I’m going through the same thing. I’m focusing on handguns currently but not really excited about much.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#21]
If you're happy shooting what you already have and just don't feel the urge to buy more, just go with it. "I don't feel excited about shopping for more of the stuff I already have" is a good place to be. Would that I could get my wife to see the world that way.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I cycle through 5 major hobbies. It might be helpful to delve a little deeper into one aspect of a hobby to keep up the interest. It’s even better when there’s relatively little extra cost involved. I can relate to this cartoon at various times, particularly when I buy something just because it’s a good deal.
Attachment Attached File

If you’re not familiar with Awkward Yeti, the firearm has been added to the cartoon.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Donut777donut:
Optics, wizard eyes, thermal, title two stuff, armor, reloading/ammo.
View Quote

this is the answer
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Is there some training you've wanted to do instead of buying a firearm?  Invest in yourself.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#25]
LOL.  
I am doing all of the above - training, shooting, reloading, other hobbies...

I am just pissed that a new shiny gun-toy doesn't excite me any more
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like you have matured that's not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Nothing wrong with being satisfied.
Many people can't be.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#28]
The only guns I am interested in are no better than my Glock 19, and more guns means more 9mm needed to feed them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Your1Savior:

I found it quite hilarious
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Your1Savior:
Originally Posted By Red_Label:
Originally Posted By barsik:

go get your testosterone level checked,  sounds like your dick fell off.

That's the brilliant sort of thing that I would expect from a 23er. Just when people start to forget about 2013's bumper crop of "wise" oracles, someone strolls in and fucks it up for the rest of 'em. I salute you Mr 2013 Smart Guy. You rock... or something.

I found it quite hilarious

Yes, it's right up there with Theo Von, Jim Breuer, or Norm McDonald.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#30]
fuck. you guys are bringing me down. Why the fuck did I click on this thread.
Go shoot rapid fire or some shit, bring some joy back into your lives.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought 4 black powder rifles for something totally different and they are fun. I compete in the pistol Bullseye League and am in a Trap League which is more fun than just plinking at the range.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry to hear that OP.  I'm definitely not in the acquiring phase anymore, in fact I've sold more in the last several years than I've bought.  However, if something came along that tickled my fancy, I have the means and desire to do the deal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

But not this year I literally can't make myself want a gun badly enough to spend money on it. The bonus was good this year, and I could easily spend a couple of grand. But I don't feel any excitement anymore browsing gunstores, EE, nothing catches my eye long enough or hard enough.

Gold!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Seems like we are in good times now for some things.  Buy some ammo and reloading supplies for when things are not so good.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m in my early 60s and shooting has been a life long hobby. I have bought and sold many firearms. Got really burned out on it a few years ago though. Been spending more time in my boat and hitting some gnarly trails on my motorcycle.

I don’t have any real interest in buying any guns. May never buy another one. I did do some stocking up on ammo and there are a couple more suppressors that I am interested in.

I’m also working on fixing up a place to shoot on my property. Really getting that set up for the future. I’m going to spend as much time on my motorcycle as I can until I’m too old for that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Get suppressors if you don't have any...current wait times are short apparently.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't have any tacticool toys and most of my stuff is bolt action but for the most part I am more than satisfied with my collection and need to focus on using it more instead of looking to add.  Not just guns but toys and stuff in general.  I have enough.  

I am putting more focus on getting out and enjoying what I have this summer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Nothing wrong with being satisfied with what you have.   In fact, it's a very good thing.   Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:48:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#39]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:30:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#40]
I’m in a similar position.

I don’t have everything that I want, but I do have just about everything that I’m interested in spending money on. The one real exception being a particular single action revolver but it’s perpetually OOS.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top