BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
What do you do if the cops ask if you have any other firearms in the house?

I'm guessing that if the cops show up they will have a lawful reason to search your house for "witnesses or other involved persons."
View Quote

Tell them that you will not answer any questions. Then, don't answer any questions.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Gilly:

My old agency investigated a shooting at a shitty bar a few years ago.  The dead guy (drunk as fuck) pulled a gun and pointed it at the shooter, who shot the dead guy in the forehead with a single round out of an LCR from about 15 feet (shooter was sober) and killed him DRT.  The dead guy was a popular local and the bar patrons started getting really worked up and the shooter thought he was about to get worked over or worse, so he jumped on his bike and took off.  He came back 15 minutes later and cooperated with the investigation once LE was on scene.  He was never charged, despite what the locals and the dead guy's family wanted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gilly:
Originally Posted By NYresq1:

This may be the stupidest advice I have ever read on this forum... And thats saying a lot...

Leaving the scene of a car accident with injury is a felony in most states... Shoot and kill someone and leave?!?? Good luck with that...

My old agency investigated a shooting at a shitty bar a few years ago.  The dead guy (drunk as fuck) pulled a gun and pointed it at the shooter, who shot the dead guy in the forehead with a single round out of an LCR from about 15 feet (shooter was sober) and killed him DRT.  The dead guy was a popular local and the bar patrons started getting really worked up and the shooter thought he was about to get worked over or worse, so he jumped on his bike and took off.  He came back 15 minutes later and cooperated with the investigation once LE was on scene.  He was never charged, despite what the locals and the dead guy's family wanted.

Not the same as "dont be there when the cops get there"...
If you need to ass out due to safety, then do so... But I would be on the phone with the police telling them I am leaving, why, and where they can come find me. If you tell them to come find you, that will be way better than them finding you on their own two days later...
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:55:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boom_Stick] [#3]
The only thing you should give them is "I fired in self defense. I will only give further statements to my lawyer."

Then be fully prepared to have your gun confiscated and be hauled in. Answer no questions at the station other than "I want my lawyer". Period.

Let your lawyer make your statements for you.

Massad ayoob and some GDers insist you should talk to the kops. DONT DO IT. "I fired in self defense" Thats it. Let them haul you in if they want to. Let your lawyer make your statement for you.

The kops may truly be your best friend and fully 100% support your action. BUT. Do you know the city's prosecuting attorney? He may have a hardon for people who defend themselves. Thats just one example how you can get screwed.

KEEP. YOUR. MOUTH. SHUT.
ASK FOR A LAWYER
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CAsoldier:

This is solid advice. Never tell the cops anything. You don't want them thinking you just murdered someone. Stand there next to the dead body and don't say anything. That's not suspicious, it's your right as an American.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CAsoldier:
Originally Posted By doc540:
Do NOT CALL AND TALK TO 911.

The cops run it and record everything.

If you shoot an attacker, and they're able to throw THEIR gun under a house, DO NOT TELL THE COPS WHERE IT IS.

If the stress of the event causes you serious health problems, DO NOT TELL THE COPS OR EMS.  They work together.

If the cops arrive and ask, "which way did they run?", DO NOT ANSWER THEM.

If someone else is hurt, a family member has been shot, or your neighbor is bleeding out in the garage, DO NOT TALK TO THE COPS.

Even if you think you should tell them you are calling your lawyer before anything else happens, DO NOT TELL THEM.  THEY'RE COPS.

These are the SMART things to do after a self defense shooting because GD SAID SO.  

This is solid advice. Never tell the cops anything. You don't want them thinking you just murdered someone. Stand there next to the dead body and don't say anything. That's not suspicious, it's your right as an American.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:
The only thing you should give them is "I fired in self defense. I will only give further statements to my lawyer."

Then be fully prepared to have your gun confiscated and be hauled in. Answer no questions at the station other than "I want my lawyer". Period.

Massad ayoob and some GDers insist you should talk to the kops. DONT DO IT. "I fired in self defense" Thats it. Let them haul you in if they want to. Let your lawyer make your statement for you.

The kops may truly be your best friend and fully 100% support your action. BUT. Do you know the city's prosecuting attorney? He may have a hardon for people who defend themselves. Thats just one example how you can get screwed.

KEEP. YOUR. MOUTH. SHUT.
ASK FOR A LAWYER
View Quote

I wouldn't even say, "I fired in self defense" because that's admitting to shooting the guy. If the State bumbles something, the evidence can be excluded, but that doesn't work so well if they have your confession.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:56:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: killstick_engaged] [#6]
if perp is down, unload on him with the hopes of saving taxpayer money. then get your phone, call 911 and just let the line be open, go sit down into a corner, drop your gun,  and start facebook live'ing yourself so that if the cops decide to show up and frag you too then at least your family will get a hefty settlement.

assuming they don't vent you, when the cops take you back don't say a god damn word. lock your phone because they'll take it. like keep your fucking mouth shut no matter how on your side they seem to be.

Even if they are, the DA and judge might not be.

only your lawyer representing you will be on your side.

and arfcom.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

I prefer: "I was in fear for my life and I defended myself."
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#8]
If you do not know by now then you should not be carrying.
FFS it's not that difficult to understand.  Call my liar.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Dip, dip, potato chip!
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#10]

KEEP. YOUR. MOUTH. SHUT.
ASK FOR A LAWYER
View Quote

Do NOT CALL AND TALK TO 911.

The cops run it and record everything.

If you shoot an attacker, and they're able to throw THEIR gun under a house, DO NOT TELL THE COPS WHERE IT IS.

If the stress of the event causes you serious health problems, DO NOT TELL THE COPS OR EMS.  They work together.

If the cops arrive and ask, "which way did they run?", DO NOT ANSWER THEM.

If someone else is hurt, a family member has been shot, or your neighbor is bleeding out in the garage, DO NOT TALK TO THE COPS.

Even if you think you should tell them you are calling your lawyer before anything else happens, DO NOT TELL THEM.  THEY'RE COPS.

These are the SMART things to do after a self defense shooting because GD SAID SO.  
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top