Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
How does squatting work? (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#1]
In Missouri, you have to prove you have been living there for 10 years or longer. Had a lady thinking she could envoke her squater's rights to her grandma's house after grandma died. I told her she had the right to squat in jail after I kicked the door in. House was bought out from under her in forclosure. She packed her shit and got out.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:26:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cpt_Kirks] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dorobuta:
Show up, tent the fucker up, and pump it full of pesticide gas.

View Quote

Then cook.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CypressCity:
Question:  If this were to happen to one of my 'rental properties' that was vacant for a time being, would I legally be allowed to shoot the squatters upon discovering them during my entry into said property?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:45:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#5]
several different types of adverse possession.  You could have tenants refuse to leave.  You could have homeless.  You could also have absentee or even dead owners and the adverse possession either goes unnoticed - or unchecked.

I got a laugh at some Hawaii real estate listings.  They almost read as if squatters were trying to sell their habitat and the time they had been in it - pretty sure the land was not technically being sold or rent on the land was being paid.  Not sure what the squatters rights rules are there - but very possible these shacks have been lived in for more than a decade already.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Obo2:
most places you would need a bill in your name at that address or other proof that you "live" there.

there needs to be some serious reforms in that department in many places though.
View Quote

How does a utility bill help if they have a fake lease that says the landlord pays all the utilities?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#7]
There should be a squatter tormenting service.  You pay a fee, and guys with a bullhorns take shifts living in the house with the squatters annoying them constantly.  They should be gone within 48 hours due to sleep deprivation.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Need4Guns:
SSS is an actual thing out in the sticks. Or so I've been told.

But that's likely the last place one would find a squatter. Most likely a city/suburban issue.
View Quote

Someone pulled a trailer onto a vacant property my mom owns. They ended up leaving but the trailer is still there.

Originally there was a house, some shacks and some workshops there. My mom was renting it out. A fire burned it all down, sometime after that the trailer showed up.

I would expect any vacant houses or cabins in the areas would end up with someone living there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#9]
There are plenty of ways to handle this, in minecraft.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Haven't read the thread, but if this is an oral sex thread involving squatting, beware the squirter.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Question:  If this were to happen to one of my 'rental properties' that was vacant for a time being, would I legally be allowed to shoot the squatters upon discovering them during my entry into said property?
View Quote

Silly man.  They would ventilate you and you would be charged with armed home invasion, in Colorado, if you lived.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:39:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StraightShootinGal] [#12]
I'm not sure how this "squatting" thing works either, so I had to do some research....here, hope this helps:

Carolina Squat - Where It Started, It's History, and More!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:54:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR15A2SporterII] [#14]
Probably good until someone puts a 22-250 between their eyes, in Minecraft of course. Hogs are good too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:01:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rheinmetall792] [#16]
Originally Posted By klinc:
People find a vacant house and break in. When owner finally shows up to check on house they have "moved in" and have a fake lease. Owner calls police and when the police get there they see fake lease and then say, "It's a civil matter" and they don't get involved.

Eviction process is started and takes however long it takes while squatters do whatever with the house.
View Quote

I would never end up in that situation. But if I did, the criminals would be ejected rapidly, vertically or horizontally.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
It only works if the squatter isn't immediately shot upon discovery.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Joshuasaur:
It's doesn't in the south
View Quote

Correct. That's a Libtard Yank thing.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TheRealBluedog:
Keep in mind, it would take the state legislator 10 minutes to draft a law, making it a very serious felony to perpetrate this type of fraud. But that’s not going to happen. Instead, Democrats are literally teaching people to do this. The left does not believe, people should own more than one house, or that there is ever any justification for owning a house that you do not live in full-time. This is social justice for them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheRealBluedog:
Keep in mind, it would take the state legislator 10 minutes to draft a law, making it a very serious felony to perpetrate this type of fraud. But that’s not going to happen. Instead, Democrats are literally teaching people to do this. The left does not believe, people should own more than one house, or that there is ever any justification for owning a house that you do not live in full-time. This is social justice for them.

And they think it should be spread to all 50 states.

Originally Posted By xciapup:
Fair question.

Here is how it works where I live.

I have been out of state for 3 months.  When I get home, I find someone (a squatter) living in my home.

I call the county sheriff, who is up for election soon, and report what I have found.  To keep his job, he sends men he deputized to my home.  They remove the squatter.

The end.

Thank you for asking.

That's how it works now.  In the last month or two, the leftists in Nashville started pushing for the legislature to pass "rent reform" or "renter's rights" laws, and the Nashville news media was giving them a platform to tell their stories without 'the other side' being presented.  They weren't talking about squatting, but if you read between the lines, they are wanting laws to make it harder to remove scumbags from property that they aren't actually paying rent on.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:43:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MilHouse-556] [#20]
View Quote

You (we) live in a blue state, so no.

Us law abiding tax payers don't have as many rights as the criminals anymore.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#21]
What squatter?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcyoiT98jdk
View Quote

Thanks....

I do squats as part of my workout routine, but don't go too low cuz of the knees....

Gonna try concentrating better on my form - as she suggested.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By StraightShootinGal:

Thanks....

I do squats as part of my workout routine, but don't go too low cuz of the knees....

Gonna try concentrating better on my form - as she suggested.
View Quote
camille
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:47:04 AM EDT
[#24]
My buddy says Jamal Pettimore and SSG now have something in common. A lot of long term relationships have started out with less. An Arphmatch made in GeeDee? That's pretty cool. Good luck, guys.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:58:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mstennes] [#25]
Originally Posted By RTX:
My buddy says Jamal Pettimore and SSG now have something in common. A lot of long term relationships have started out with less. An Arphmatch made in GeeDee? That's pretty cool. Good luck, guys and gal.
View Quote

Fixed it for you
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:02:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Obo2] [#26]
View Quote

As long as you say he's coming right at me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#27]
How to Asian Squat - 3 Exercises You Need
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Trespassers Welcome: How the Law Protects Squatters
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By mstennes:

Fixed it for you
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mstennes:
My buddy says Jamal Pettimore and SSG now have something in common. A lot of long term relationships have started out with less. An Arphmatch made in GeeDee? That's pretty cool. Good luck, guys and gal.

Fixed it for you

2 guys, 1 gal. It is a package deal with the buddy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:16:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ming_The_Merciless] [#30]

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:20:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 14BoltFF] [#31]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:
I did a bit of reading on some real world cases.

Basically, there are people that keep an eye out for (1) obituaries, or (2) home sales and foreclosures. They then scope the house out, and if the property appears to be vacated for a while (which happens fairly often in both scenarios), they jump on it.

Sometimes, there's a 'broker' who does the initial squatting. he/she will then "sublet" the house out to various transients/addicts/hobos/whatever.

View Quote

Exactly this. It didn't take long for hoodrats to come sniffing around my 93-year Great Uncle's home in the hood after he went to the hospital for congestive heart failure and passed away shortly after. Fortunately, my father (the executor of the estate) and I temporarily moved in to guard the place until it sold, which prevented any potential headaches. Random dudes would come by and knock on the back door looking for "Tyrone" or "Shaneequa."
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#32]
My buddy says Jamal Pettimore and SSG now have something in common. A lot of long term relationships have started out with less. An Arphmatch made in GeeDee? That's pretty cool. Good luck, guys.
View Quote
my buddy says:  gonna need to see pics of her buddy first, my dude.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#33]
it will be Blackrocks problem

People find a vacant house and break in. When owner finally shows up to check on house they have "moved in" and have a fake lease. Owner calls police and when the police get there they see fake lease and then say, "It's a civil matter" and they don't get involved.

Eviction process is started and takes however long it takes while squatters do whatever with the house.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Pantexan:
The squatters have to be there for a certain number of days ~ 30 .  It’s not like you go to the store and return and they can claim squatters’ rights .
If you have an empty property you should install some sort of security / monitoring system to alert you to activity .
View Quote

It’s not really a question of squatter’s rights.  It’s a matter of determining whether someone has a legal right to occupy property when they present documentation that suggests they do.  That’s something that happens with a judge in a courtroom, not in the front yard with the police.

“Squatter’s rights” sometimes refers to adverse possession, which requires years of open and unchallenged use of the property in question.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Tangental question:  My house always gets mail addressed to (what I assume, are) former occupants.   It seems the former owner had a Bunch of different people “living there”.  

I’ve been living there 9 years, and it’s still a regular thing.  

Is there anything I can be doing, or should be doing, to make sure nobody else is using my address as their official residence?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Rheinmetall792:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rheinmetall792:
Originally Posted By Joshuasaur:
It's doesn't in the south

Lulz

https://abc7chicago.com/amp/squatter-rights-squatters-in-texas-harris-county-news/13633360/

https://www.foxnews.com/us/repeat-squatter-tries-sell-victims-house-second-time.amp
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#37]
This is a proper squat

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Jesus... ...that ass and thighs are fucking huge. Jesus.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

In my great, great grandfathers case he left his claim after plowing the lines and building a dugout.  He went back then to Canada to get his family, they immigrated to the US through Canada. it took too long and someone moved in.  He relocated about 3 miles away.  There is now a family cemetery on part of that second claim and some of my distance relatives still own the land.  

There was also a town there named after my family because the post office was on the property but when the railroad went through a new town popped up a few miles away because there was river and the rail line.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:05:06 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

sorry to hear U big gay
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:58:25 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Pics of SSG's buddy not loading there, big shooter.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:54:26 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't know what fucked up laws allow for this home invasion crime to become "legal" but squatters can be themselves squatted. Show up when they are out of the house, have a legitimate lease from the property owner, put all their shit outside and call the cops if they try to move back in.  

The other way would involve some name drops and some tough looking guys.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:56:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By midcap:

sorry to hear U big gay
View All Quotes

sorry to hear U big gay

LOL. Life is too short not to spend it enjoying the company of fine, functional and intelligent women that are also normally sized/shaped.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:26:35 AM EDT
[#44]
I can't belive it's become this. Not the country I grew up in that's for sure.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:27:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By dorobuta:
Show up, tent the fucker up, and pump it full of pesticide gas.

Just kidding, though it would be nice if you could....
View Quote

A box full of foggers chucked in through the windows in the middle of the night will clear the rooms.

Ditto for pepper spray, nobody is staying after that shit’s been jizzed all over the place.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:30:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Obo2:
most places you would need a bill in your name at that address or other proof that you "live" there.

there needs to be some serious reforms in that department in many places though.
View Quote

Ronnie D just signed a bill into law here in Fl that does just that including criminal charges for squatting.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#47]

LOL. Life is too short not to spend it enjoying the company of fine, functional and intelligent women that are also normally sized/shaped.
View All Quotes

sorry to hear U big gay

Have you never just wanted to berry dat in a 44” plus changer? Ever?

You really don’t know what you are missing
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I ask all the guys I know with vacation/lake homes if they are concerned about this.  Everyone said, “oh…I never really thought about it”.  

Sounds like lots of free homes for the taking.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:

Not really, the cops just wont get involved, as they cant say who has a valid lease thats for the courts to decide.

But if their buddy is willing to live there with the squatter they can. I helped a friend do that with his town house. He wrote me a lease and I just kept showing up and going inside and hanging out. After a few days of this the squatter left, granted they where just on the expire lease and trying to milk it as long as they could. I guess the tv at full volume and the party I had at 2am was enough to make it worth leaving.

Yes I had cameras, yes the squatter called the cops, yes the cops said there was nothing they could do and left.
View Quote

Except we all know that things would be different if the squatter was in the mayor's house. Or the chief of police.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

sorry to hear U big gay

Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
How does squatting work? (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top