Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have went Super Nova on Nova.     Damn she's 80 now.

" />
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By California_Kid:
I had to drive a Nova in my driver training class in high school.

It was a real POS.
View Quote

In Spanish, Nova literally means no go.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it normal in the astronomy community to ignore the light travel issue and talk about things happening 'now'?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Sebastian_MacMaine:
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20240322-visible-nova-explosion-is-coming

Move over, solar eclipse: Scientists predict a once-in-a-lifetime nova explosion in the coming months

While the world's attention has been focused on the total solar eclipse that will occur later this spring, the distant Corona Borealis binary system – which contains one dead white dwarf star and one ageing red giant star – has been busy gearing up for its own moment of glory: a spectacular nova explosion.

Located 3,000 light years from Earth, the Corona Borealis is home to a white dwarf star named T Coronae Borealis (or T CrB for short) that's on the verge of what Nasa says will be a once-in-a-lifetime nova eruption.

The rare cosmic event is expected to take place sometime before September 2024. When it occurs it will likely be visible to the naked eye. No expensive telescope will be needed to witness this cosmic performance, says Nasa.

T CrB oubursts only happen about once every 80 years, the last was was back in 1946.

"I'm very excited. This thing is kind of like Halley's Comet  – it occurs once every 75 to 80 years  – but novas don't get the press Halley's Comet gets," says Nasa’s meteoroid environment program manager William J Cooke. "Comets always get more press."
View Quote
View Quote

Hmmm.  I wonder why a particular stellar system has a nova vs a type Ia supernova?  Aren't the mechanisms similar?  I.e. white dwarf pulls enough matter onto it from larger companion that fusion restarts?  

Of course, one is a periodic event, and the other most definitely is not.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
It will look like a bright star and should be visible even inside of cities.

My understanding is it's a white dwarf binary with the white dwarf peeling matter from the binary feeder then blowing it outwards roughly every 80 years.

We only have two cycles recorded in history, so it's always possible we've got it wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tobysi:
On a serious note, what is it expected to look like? Can it be seen from everywhere?

My understanding is it's a white dwarf binary with the white dwarf peeling matter from the binary feeder then blowing it outwards roughly every 80 years.

We only have two cycles recorded in history, so it's always possible we've got it wrong.

Strange.  We've been looking outwards with telescopes for more than 160 years.  I wonder why it got missed in earlier cycles?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

View All Quotes

It was a real POS.

Chevy tried to sell them in South America, and didn't find out until until later why no one was buying them.  It's an often told cautionary tale in the marketing industry.  Toyota never heard it, I guess,  because they still write TURD on their trucks.  lol!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

Hmmm.  I wonder why a particular stellar system has a nova vs a type Ia supernova?  Aren't the mechanisms similar?  I.e. white dwarf pulls enough matter onto it from larger companion that fusion restarts?  

View All Quotes
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20240322-visible-nova-explosion-is-coming

Move over, solar eclipse: Scientists predict a once-in-a-lifetime nova explosion in the coming months

While the world's attention has been focused on the total solar eclipse that will occur later this spring, the distant Corona Borealis binary system – which contains one dead white dwarf star and one ageing red giant star – has been busy gearing up for its own moment of glory: a spectacular nova explosion.

Located 3,000 light years from Earth, the Corona Borealis is home to a white dwarf star named T Coronae Borealis (or T CrB for short) that's on the verge of what Nasa says will be a once-in-a-lifetime nova eruption.

The rare cosmic event is expected to take place sometime before September 2024. When it occurs it will likely be visible to the naked eye. No expensive telescope will be needed to witness this cosmic performance, says Nasa.

T CrB oubursts only happen about once every 80 years, the last was was back in 1946.

"I'm very excited. This thing is kind of like Halley's Comet  – it occurs once every 75 to 80 years  – but novas don't get the press Halley's Comet gets," says Nasa’s meteoroid environment program manager William J Cooke. "Comets always get more press."

It's all about the mass that accumulates on the white dwarf.

https://www.astronomy.com/science/the-different-types-of-supernovae-explained/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:31:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sebastian_MacMaine] [#8]
Originally Posted By ske714:
Chevy tried to sell them in South America, and didn't find out until until later why no one was buying them.  It's an often told cautionary tale in the marketing industry.  Toyota never heard it, I guess,  because they still write TURD on their trucks.  lol!
View Quote

And of course Rolls Royce's "Silver Mist".
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

It already happened.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:09:34 AM EDT
[#10]

And of course Rolls Royce's "Silver Mist".
View Quote
I seem to remember a curling iron called the Mist Stick that didn't sell well in Germany.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:18:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I look forward to seeing it under nods.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#12]

It already happened.
View Quote
Spoiler alert, dude!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Ill never understand the baby talk that presumably grown men use here.  Go boom, pew pew, etc.  Give me a break...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:45:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 74novaman] [#14]

View All Quotes

It was a real POS.

Fake news.

Nova in Spanish means the same thing Nova means in English.

No va does mean no go.

That space is important, like the difference between therapist and the rapist.

Novas actually sold so well in Mexico and Venezuela that they kept selling them a few years after US sales stopped.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 74novaman:

Fake news.

No va does mean no go.

Novas actually sold so well in Mexico and Venezuela that they kept selling them a few years after US sales stopped.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 74novaman:

It was a real POS.

Fake news.

No va does mean no go.

What does "turd" mean in Japanese?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By WhirlyGirl45:

The earth is flat.
People are essentially good.
View Quote

Tighten your Van Allen belt the firmament is about to get zapped.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#17]
@AZ_Sky I'm suggesting a before-and-during-and-after photoshoot.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#18]
@AZ_Sky I'm suggesting a before-and-during-and-after photoshoot.
View Quote

Seconded!  

...which brings up a point...

My advice to everyone that is lucky enough to get the opportunity to see the eclipse is to enjoy 100% of the experience.  Photos will be available in the gift shop.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I wonder if JWST can catch anything interesting there?  I would assume a nova sends out alot of infrared info.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:59:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike_c130] [#20]

View Quote

The starting mass of the white dwarf.  In order for a type 1a supernova to occur, the mass of the star, with the added gas captured from the neighbor, must become high enough to create fusion in the core via gravitational compression - that is, the white dwarf becomes heavy enough that pressure in the core begins fusion of the Carbon and Oxygen in the core (all the lighter elements were either fused or blown off before the star became a white dwarf).  For a normal nova, there isn't enough mass for this to happen, so the hydrogen captured from the companion star instead continues to pile on and heat up until the conditions for fusion are reached in the hydrogen layer.  Since Carbon and Oxygen require orders of magnitude more energy to begin to fuse, most white dwarfs will have the hydrogen blanket reach fusion conditions long before the core can, and once the Hydrogen begins fusing, that layer will be rather quickly be mostly eliminated, either by fusion or by being blown off by the energy released.  The fusion then stops and the white dwarf begins accumulating hydrogen once again.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Famed comet hunter and variable lover Leslie Peltier faithfully kept an eye on T CrB for over 25 years, hoping to catch it in outburst. On that fateful February morning in 1946 he'd set his alarm clock for 2:30 a.m., planning to check in on several favorite stars before dawn. But when he awoke and looked out the window, he felt a cold coming on and allowed himself instead to go back to bed. Big mistake. That very morning, T CrB came back to life.

I feel for you Les.  Deer stands and natures call is a bitch.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I will not be impressed if it's not visible during the daytime.

Aldo Nova is a better nova.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:59:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#23]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tobysi:
On a serious note, what is it expected to look like? Can it be seen from everywhere?

So, a shitty Great Value Nova.  

Ma! ..Can I get a SuperNova!!!?

No honey, we already have nova at home.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By NoImpactNoIdea:
Ill never understand the baby talk that presumably grown men use here.  Go boom, pew pew, etc.  Give me a break...
View Quote
@NoImpactNoIdea You give us a break with your high and mighty attitude you big meanie poopoo head!
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Wait until betelgeuse goes.  It will be soon. Maybe even in our lifetimes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By NotJackMiller:
Wait until betelgeuse goes.  It will be soon. Maybe even in our lifetimes.
View Quote

That's an enormous MAYBE.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:22:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SpankMonkey:
Space isn't real. I read it on the internet.
View Quote

Same with birds
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Aspida1776:
Is it a champagne super nova in the sky?
View Quote
some might say

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By lockinload:

3000 years ago

edit:  Which IMO is more mind boggling than the event itself.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lockinload:

It already happened.

3000 years ago

edit:  Which IMO is more mind boggling than the event itself.

Our minds are not calibrated for interstellar distances.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Could you than take a powerful telescope and zoom it in and out to essentially go forwards and backwards in time?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Could you than take a powerful telescope and zoom it in and out to essentially go forwards and backwards in time?
View Quote

No
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 19ontheslide:

No, in Beverly Hills we just take whichever car is closest.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 19ontheslide:
Originally Posted By cavedog:

Was it a crappy blue Nova?

No, in Beverly Hills we just take whichever car is closest.

Can you put this in a good spot?   All this shit happened the last time I parked here.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By PanelVanHalen:

Then is it really a speed?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kcobean:

At the speed of light, time stops.

So is time a constant until it hits the speed of light, and then it instantly stops, or does time change with speed until it hits the speed of light?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Has Aldo Nova chimed in yet about this impostor?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SixpackinOk:

So is time a constant until it hits the speed of light, and then it instantly stops, or does time change with speed until it hits the speed of light?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SixpackinOk:
Originally Posted By kcobean:

At the speed of light, time stops.

Time and distance are both variable at relativistic speeds.  The Lorentz equations describe how much they shrink or slow down at a given speed, compared to an observer at rest.  The effect is trivial unless you're going really fast or your clock is really accurate.  GPS atomic clocks have to take relativity into account.  Of course they're both moving fairly rapidly and their signals are moving deeper into a gravity well.  Relativity has something to say about both.

Thanks everyone, for distinguishing between Novas and Type IA Supernovae.  Interesting that a white dwarf can accumulate mass to bypass the intermediate nova mechanism of surface fusion, and thereby eventually achieve core fusion.  I suppose it depends on the speeds and feeds, plus feedstock, if I can borrow the mechanism from machining metal.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I wonder what getting hit with a supernova-level EMP would do to all those EVs. Massive global fires everywhere I expect.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:54:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
I wonder what getting hit with a supernova-level EMP would do to all those EVs. Massive global fires everywhere I expect.
View Quote

Or at least no way to charge them for a few months.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top