BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Joint facebook activities.

The same people who start off their wedding anniversary post with "it hasn't always been easy but we made it work" or "we have our ups & downs just like every other couple".

Which is code for cheating & beating.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the channels I watch on YouTube is about a O/O truck driver.  He mentioned that his mom tracks him so she knows when he's home. I'm sure it gives mom a little piece of mind but it's kinda funny that mom tracks a middle aged son.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By taliv:
I use it mostly to make the dogs think I am omniscient.  When the wife gets close I run to the door before they do and get them all hyper just as she pulls in.  

View Quote

My dogs recognize the sound that Life360 makes when someone arrives at home and get all excited to greet whomever it is.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife wanted to do that after we got married last year. Hard no. I don’t care where you go and you shouldn’t care where I go.

She tracks her 26 yo daughter. Not happening to me.

I don’t give her a reason to track me and vice versa.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I complain about my wife's phone usage sometimes, and my kids usage more often.  But having "Find My" on for family members doesn't even raise a blip on my radar.

Some people will lie to their spouses about guns they bought in one thread, and in the next thread think they are "independent men" because their wife's phone doesn't have their location.  Sheesh.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Wife and kid and half her side of the family do it..with life 360.
I've had my wife pull it up to see if the kid was speeding....our daughter tracks the wife.

No one tracks me. Wife knows I'm paranoid as it is lol
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Boomer:

Kind of sad that a more personal form of communication such as a phone call didn’t occur.
View Quote

Lol wow. Kind of sad to assume things or even insinuate i don't talk to her multiple times a day.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MJL99:

Lol wow. Kind of sad to assume things or even insinuate i don't talk to her multiple times a day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Kind of sad that a more personal form of communication such as a phone call didn’t occur.

Regardless, it’s a missed opportunity.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Lol let it go dude. Nothing was missed except the joke that went way over your head in that post
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I know a wife who does that, her husband still cheats lol.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure what some of you think keeping track of your spouse looks like? I imagine you imagining it looks something like an aircraft carrier CIC, watching every move.
I check my "find my" app like maybe once a month. Going back to my example of say, if my wife takes off for the city while I stay and watch the shop, and 10 minutes after she leaves, the emergency response vehicles go out screaming in that direction. I can check it, see quick that she's still moving. I don't keep the app open and watch it every minute she's gone.
I didn't have to call her and distract her from driving, and I get the immediate relief that she's ok in the event she doesn't answer. Didn't have to have an unnecessary dramatic/emotional conversation for the fuck of it. We work and live together. We talk to each other all day otherwise.
I doubt my wife ever checks on me outside of being held up at the job site and I'm not back when expected. And it's not that she thinks I'm out fucking around, I'm always with an employee or her dad who helps out around here. So she can make dinner plans. Or, perhaps I'm stuck in the ditch on some gravel road with no cell service if my location is "stuck" somewhere elsewhere than the address that's in our work calendar.
I got by just fine before tracking, and before cell phones in general. Makes life a little easier having that tool in your tool bag - for me.
If a guy doesn't want to use it, fine. But people who use it I'm guessing are not the kinds of people who have trust issues with their spouse anyways as what's assumed. It would be too easy to leave the phone somewhere or put it in airplane mode if your intention was to do some secret fucking around. Probably not here in my AO, if I left the bar with some girl, the entire town would know about it before I got to her place and got my pants unzipped. If she wanted to fuck around on me, the same. Not in the least worried about that.
And not using it because "surveillance state" is pants on head retarded, sir.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:23:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#12]

and otherwise so eagerly embracing the surveillance state.
View Quote

You should see how many security cameras I have on my house.  I 100% embrace my own surveillance state.  The government is going to do what they are going to do anyway, my phone location isn't going to make or break any action they would take against me.  They would just contact the cell company if they needed, have their own StingRay deployed, track the IP of my computer, track the GPS in my vehicle...etc.  I don't embrace it but isn't like there is much that can be done about that aspect of it either.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By farfromhome:
LOL read my sig
View Quote

I would subscribe to your newsletter
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't really care one way or the other, with the stupid shit that I do and places that I go, I'm cool with it.  My sat phone gives the exact location and aerial view when messages are sent.

It's for my safety is how I look at it, not that she even ever requested it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
Does that mean I can track her too?
View Quote

Apple "Find My" allows you to track each other. My wife and I had that set up, it can be useful.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

The most common reason we use Find My Phone is that one of us misplaced our phone somewhere in the house.  
View Quote

Used it for that several times.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MacManus:

so, I can mark you down as NOT to each their own then?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SWIRE:
to each their own, but my wife and I choose not to do any of that tracking shit, including our kids' phones.  The whole decision for us boiled down to: it frames the entire relationship from a place of distrust, and that's not the kind of relationship we want to have with each other or our kids.

One could argue that it is only people who fear distrust in a relationship that would feel that way.  As others have mentioned it is nothing more than useful tool.  

I've gotten a call before of "I was just in a bad accident.  I turned on XYZ road but I'm not sure where I'm at.".  That road is 20 miles long between towns.  
Child "I can't find my phone and might have left it at school.".  My response "Google Maps shows it is somewhere around the house".  It was found in the vehicle.

Back in August a member here made a post that started with this:  I got one of those calls no parent wants to get at 9:32 a.m. this morning:  (hysterical and screaming) "Dad, HELP!, hurry, hurt bad, can't move" (and then phone dropped)

But whatever not having someone with hurt feelings is better than better than being able to help a spouse or child.  Right?  If there is distrust it is going to be there regardless of if it is acknowledged or not.  Avoiding an issue doesn't make it go away but it might make it so you don't have to talk about it as much.  I wouldn't call that healthy.

so, I can mark you down as NOT to each their own then?

I'm 100% to each there own.  It's your life do whatever you want.  That doesn't mean I won't have an opinion on it one way or another though.  In my situation I don't care where my wife goes or what she is doing.  But at the same time if I ever got a call/text of "I need help" and location couldn't be communicated then I would want a way to find her.  The opposite is true, I'm working on a project house with a bad roof or using equipment by myself.  Multiple times I have told her if I'm not back by X time come check on me.  She will use Google maps and tell me later that she could see me moving between the house and backyard and knew I was ok.  

Also my prior relationships have taught me there are no guarantees.  No matter what you think, feel, or say it does not affect what someone else thinks, feels or does.  You might think there is no reason to distrust your partner but that has no connection to reality.  Someone can also distrust their partner and think they are tracking all their moves but that still won't be a guarantee that nothing is going on and the person living in fear of distrust is still not going to trust their partner.  

Like I responded to the OP, technology isn't going to cause or fix any problems.  Those problems exist outside of that.  It might make things a bit better or worse but since there are no guarantees the problems will persist.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:49:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#18]

Lol let it go dude. Nothing was missed except the joke that went way over your head in that post
View All Quotes

Yeah, imagine a future where someone is mourning the loss of their beloved spouse and thinking “I would give anything to be able to track their location just one more time”. I mean, I guess they could still be tracked, but it’s not like their location is ever going to change.

Now that I think about it, that could be a future business opportunity. The deceased’s phone could be placed in their headstone along with a small solar panel to keep it charged. That way the surviving spouse could always track their location and fondly recall of all the times that they tracked their locations throughout their marriage. There could even be app to facilitate it. Maybe the NSA would even release limited data so that some or all of the places that the deceased went could be tracked retroactively. Nothing says “I love you and I care about you” quite like tracking their location.

It’s joke, guys. Laugh a little.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#19]
We don't and we would never consider it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By FlyingIllini:
We have the whole family on 'find my iphone'.   It's not for snooping, it's for security in case there is a serious problem we can get to them to help.
View Quote

"For emergencies" was once the point of getting everyone in the family a cell phone to begin with. Whatever did we do before then?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
One of the channels I watch on YouTube is about a O/O truck driver.  He mentioned that his mom tracks him so she knows when he's home. I'm sure it gives mom a little piece of mind but it's kinda funny that mom tracks a middle aged son.
View Quote

Helicopter parents never stop helicoptering.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#22]

You’re probably right. It’s not like we’ve ever seen the technology behind non-nefarious applications grow into things…. not so non-nefarious.

But yeah, I must not be able to trust myself with the technology or realize the few benefits it does replicate.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

I mean, it is what it is. If not “desiring” or “tracking”, how else would you refer to someone wishing to always being able to immediately know the location of their family members?

Like I said, you are severely limited by either your predilection or lack of perspective or in all likelihood both.  Others are not so encumbered and can utilize available capabilities for non-nefarious purposes.

You’re probably right. It’s not like we’ve ever seen the technology behind non-nefarious applications grow into things…. not so non-nefarious.

But yeah, I must not be able to trust myself with the technology or realize the few benefits it does replicate.

If you did you might recognize that there are ways to use technology such that it is not useful to the provider.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#23]

You should see how many security cameras I have on my house.  I 100% embrace my own surveillance state.  The government is going to do what they are going to do anyway, my phone location isn't going to make or break any action they would take against me.  They would just contact the cell company if they needed, have their own StingRay deployed, track the IP of my computer, track the GPS in my vehicle...etc.  I don't embrace it but isn't like there is much that can be done about that aspect of it either.
View Quote

I bet none of the angry boomers in this thread even know what a StingRay is. lol
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By diesel1:

"Old guy" here. I'd bet it's the under 40 demographic. I alluded to that in an earlier post. I think it goes along with the left-ward shift of American society in general and an embracing of co-dependency. Not a good trend, IMO.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Waldo:
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

One is someone in a position of authority looking for evidence to use against you.

The other should be a healthy relationship using a security net/convenience that is now available through technology.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the guys who are adamantly against location sharing tend to hide things from their wives, even if it's stupid things like purchases they really don't need to be making..

My wife and I both grew up and spent a good portion of our lives in the age before cell phones. (The before time). As such, neither of us is too hung up on them.  I spend two weeks out of every month 300 miles away from my wife in an area with little to no coverage.

I can't do much for her anyway if I'm 300 miles away. And there's not much she can she can do for me either.

We just grew up in a less dependent age.

It would be interesting, and probably telling, to see the ages of the people so adamantly in favor of tracking and spying on their family members and otherwise so eagerly embracing the surveillance state.

"Old guy" here. I'd bet it's the under 40 demographic. I alluded to that in an earlier post. I think it goes along with the left-ward shift of American society in general and an embracing of co-dependency. Not a good trend, IMO.

He called it tracking and spying, but it most healthy families it's the modern equivalent of leaving a note. It's not like the whole family is actively checking regularly to try to catch someone being bad.

I just checked to see if my wife had left the office yet so I know when to start boiling the pasta.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
This is where I'm at.  I have tried for the last week to implement a rule where we spend at least one hour a night without cell phones.  My husband is addicted.  He can't (or won't) do it.  He says we wouldn't know what to do and I assured him that I can be very entertaining.    Evidently he doesn't believe me.  Last night was our 10th anniversary, he spent the night scrolling through Facebook (which I find as boring af) and I read on my phone (Kindle app.). Phones are useful but I wish they weren't the centerpiece of our lives.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:

I didn't even have a phone until my first kid was born.

I quickly realized I was just being stupid and stubborn. Incredibly handy little things, I just wish people would have more self control with them.

I used to leave notes for my wife about where I was if I was going hunting or something, a lot easier to just shoot a message over and she can see my location rather than a description on paper.
This is where I'm at.  I have tried for the last week to implement a rule where we spend at least one hour a night without cell phones.  My husband is addicted.  He can't (or won't) do it.  He says we wouldn't know what to do and I assured him that I can be very entertaining.    Evidently he doesn't believe me.  Last night was our 10th anniversary, he spent the night scrolling through Facebook (which I find as boring af) and I read on my phone (Kindle app.). Phones are useful but I wish they weren't the centerpiece of our lives.

I've done well with compartmentalizing. My phone is either at my desk in the basement or at the charging station upstairs when I'm home. Or it goes to the shop with me so I don't miss any calls while working on stuff.

My laptop stays at my desk and I do my browsing and work stuff on that. The living room is for family and watching movies or shows, and the bedroom is for sleeping, reading and fornicating.

I can't really get my wife on board with it, she's on her phone a lot, but I refuse to be hooked on the thing. I even keep it in the truck when working, which I shouldn't sometimes because I sometimes have a lot of calls to deal with each day, but I hate having it on my pocket all the time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#26]

He called it tracking and spying, but it most healthy families it's the modern equivalent of leaving a note. It's not like the whole family is actively checking regularly to try to catch someone being bad.

I just checked to see if my wife had left the office yet so I know when to start boiling the pasta.
View All Quotes

One is someone in a position of authority looking for evidence to use against you.

The other should be a healthy relationship using a security net/convenience that is now available through technology.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the guys who are adamantly against location sharing tend to hide things from their wives, even if it's stupid things like purchases they really don't need to be making..

My wife and I both grew up and spent a good portion of our lives in the age before cell phones. (The before time). As such, neither of us is too hung up on them.  I spend two weeks out of every month 300 miles away from my wife in an area with little to no coverage.

I can't do much for her anyway if I'm 300 miles away. And there's not much she can she can do for me either.

It would be interesting, and probably telling, to see the ages of the people so adamantly in favor of tracking and spying on their family members and otherwise so eagerly embracing the surveillance state.

Most people I know that track their spouse, is primarily for coordinating pickups/drop offs for kids activities. They can easily look and see if their spouse is home and taking their daughter to dance class, or if he's still stuck at their sons soccer game and obviously not going to make it in time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Mr_Nasty99:

Most people I know that track their spouse, is primarily for coordinating pickups/drop offs for kids activities. They can easily look and see if their spouse is home and taking their daughter to dance class, or if he's still stuck at their sons soccer game and obviously not going to make it in time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mr_Nasty99:

I bet when the first phone came out and was available in homes, the old people threw a hissy fit because it was an invasion of their privacy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Pallas:

I know a wife who does that, her husband still cheats lol.
View Quote

It's like when you continuously accuse a child of doing something they aren't doing.  It makes them want to actually do it.

If you're already being treated like a criminal, you might as well reap the rewards from the crime right.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Meh. In my family I track everyone. Not to check up, but the kids and wife, if overdue, I’ll check.
Just Dad stuff.
So, they can track me. I’m not going anywhere I shouldn’t (where is that?) And kids know when I’m close.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Project some more, Boomer.
View Quote

Although it wasn't directed at me...  As a boomer, your comment is straight out of the "Rules for Radicals" leftist playbook.  When you have lost the argument, revert to insults to force your opponent to defend themselves, rather than admitting defeat.  Doesn't matter which side you are on, as soon as insults are thrown, you have admitted you lost.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By HDSledge:

Although it wasn't directed at me...  As a boomer, your comment is straight out of the "Rules for Radicals" leftist playbook.  When you have lost the argument, revert to insults to force your opponent to defend themselves, rather than admitting defeat.  Doesn't matter which side you are on, as soon as insults are thrown, you have admitted you lost.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HDSledge:

Project some more, Boomer.

His screenname is literally Boomer, boomer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Mines on, GF has it in case I get abducted or worse, I dont care really doesnt bother me.
Either Im at work or with her so my chances of doing shady shit are next to nil anyway.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#34]

How is responding to your statements trolling?  You are trying to blame technology for causing the problems while I've been saying every "problem" people describe here exists outside of any technology.  
View Quote

It’s the manner in which you respond. Suggesting someone’s wife has their balls in a purse…..

Dude you admitted in an  earlier post your wife stalks your location. That’s not a healthy habit. Sorry not opening the door for my wife to potentially develop unhealthy habits like obsessing over my location which is why I said no to the tracking.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Garmin in reach mini for when I go into the woods.
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top