Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Many of these replies are reminding me of a quote:

“Tyranny is often disguised as safety.”
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Boomer:

Something about a frog and boiling water. But you do you.
View Quote

Lol explain. Cause i fail to understand how we're the frog when we're already being tracked relentlessly as Black Fox mentioned earlier in the thread.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By rtlm:

Asked 2 gals in the office about this, both single, both the same age, late 30's.

One is a mild lib wanna be, into tech toys, but otherwise pretty cool:
She is hardcore on the tracking, no bf or husband without it.

The other is a country gal, raised on a ranch, conservative:
She is a privacy believer and doesn't care about tracking a bf or husband.

Just a tiny sample:
Both very cute, and no pics

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rtlm:
Interesting how emotional some people are getting in their defense of their desire to track their spouses.

Asked 2 gals in the office about this, both single, both the same age, late 30's.

One is a mild lib wanna be, into tech toys, but otherwise pretty cool:
She is hardcore on the tracking, no bf or husband without it.

The other is a country gal, raised on a ranch, conservative:
She is a privacy believer and doesn't care about tracking a bf or husband.

Just a tiny sample:
Both very cute, and no pics

It seems like we can see similar distinctions in many of the replies here.

Well, I don’t know how cute any of these guys are.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:51:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#4]
Originally Posted By MJL99:

Lol explain. Cause i fail to understand how we're the frog when we're already being tracked relentlessly as Black Fox mentioned earlier in the thread.
View All Quotes

Something about a frog and boiling water. But you do you.

Yup, like we can’t even feel the heat being turned up. In fact, the warmth feels so good, we’ll turn it up another notch or two ourselves. Because moar is always better, amiright?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SWIRE:

One could argue that it is only people who fear distrust in a relationship that would feel that way.  As others have mentioned it is nothing more than useful tool.  

I've gotten a call before of "I was just in a bad accident.  I turned on XYZ road but I'm not sure where I'm at.".  That road is 20 miles long between towns.  
Child "I can't find my phone and might have left it at school.".  My response "Google Maps shows it is somewhere around the house".  It was found in the vehicle.

Back in August a member here made a post that started with this:  I got one of those calls no parent wants to get at 9:32 a.m. this morning:  (hysterical and screaming) "Dad, HELP!, hurry, hurt bad, can't move" (and then phone dropped)

But whatever not having someone with hurt feelings is better than better than being able to help a spouse or child.  Right?  If there is distrust it is going to be there regardless of if it is acknowledged or not.  Avoiding an issue doesn't make it go away but it might make it so you don't have to talk about it as much.  I wouldn't call that healthy.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SWIRE:
Originally Posted By MacManus:
to each their own, but my wife and I choose not to do any of that tracking shit, including our kids' phones.  The whole decision for us boiled down to: it frames the entire relationship from a place of distrust, and that's not the kind of relationship we want to have with each other or our kids.

One could argue that it is only people who fear distrust in a relationship that would feel that way.  As others have mentioned it is nothing more than useful tool.  

I've gotten a call before of "I was just in a bad accident.  I turned on XYZ road but I'm not sure where I'm at.".  That road is 20 miles long between towns.  
Child "I can't find my phone and might have left it at school.".  My response "Google Maps shows it is somewhere around the house".  It was found in the vehicle.

Back in August a member here made a post that started with this:  I got one of those calls no parent wants to get at 9:32 a.m. this morning:  (hysterical and screaming) "Dad, HELP!, hurry, hurt bad, can't move" (and then phone dropped)

But whatever not having someone with hurt feelings is better than better than being able to help a spouse or child.  Right?  If there is distrust it is going to be there regardless of if it is acknowledged or not.  Avoiding an issue doesn't make it go away but it might make it so you don't have to talk about it as much.  I wouldn't call that healthy.

so, I can mark you down as NOT to each their own then?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By diesel1:

Pro tip is excellent and my thoughts exactly! This phone shit reminds me of "Spy vs Spy" in Mad magazine back in the day. As my buddy Alfred E. Newman always said "what, me worry?"

But holy shit, 6 pages of pussified "my whole family does it for safety"! How did civilization ever survive without cell phones? Might be a "boomer thing" but, IMO, "real men" don't need (or want!) 24/7 nannyism and can get through the day without checking in with the S.O. every hour. The same people must be OK with the black boxes in their cars, license plate readers, street cameras, etc. Or they complain about "government surveillance" but apply it to themselves on a personal level.

View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Yup, like we can’t even feel the heat being turned up. In fact, the warmth feels so good, we’ll turn it up another notch or two ourselves. Because moar is always better, amiright?
View Quote

Lol alright i guess don't explain what you're trying to correlate.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting how emotional some people are getting in their defense of their desire to track their spouses.
View Quote

Interesting attempt to frame the argument in a way that nobody is putting forward.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

You’re seriously unable to understand the premise that if a frog is put suddenly into boiling water, it will jump out, but if the frog is put in tepid water which is then brought to a boil slowly, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death?

Or how that is analogous to the rapidly increasing surveillance state?

Don’t worry, some day you are likely to have your own “How the fuck did we get to this point?” epiphany.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Allowing your spouse to see where you are ≠ consent or even enabling the .gov to track you even harder
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

Interesting attempt to frame the argument in a way that nobody is putting forward.
View All Quotes

You should better track many of the replies. Maybe there is an app for that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:08:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#12]
Originally Posted By EastRiverSD:

Allowing your spouse to see where you are ≠ consent or even enabling the .gov to track you even harder
View All Quotes

Yup, you’re definitely not conditioning yourselves to normalize the increasing intrusions. But there’s no such thing as being too safe, amiright?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

I'm tracking just fine.  You are ascribing malicious intent where none exists.  Much like a liberal in that regard.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JarheadPatriot:
Remember when we were kids and would leave the house in the morning and not come home "til the street lights came on"?

How did we ever survive without being tracked?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JarheadPatriot:
Remember when we were kids and would leave the house in the morning and not come home "til the street lights came on"?

How did we ever survive without being tracked?

During the late 1970s and 1980s, more than 1 million children per year went missing from their homes and neighborhoods, Reagan said

A lot of kids didn’t.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#15]

I'm tracking just fine.  You are ascribing malicious intent where none exists.  Much like a liberal in that regard.
View All Quotes

There’s no malicious intent in getting emotional when your defense of some behavior is called into question. It’s just basing your argument on…. emotions. And speaking of liberals….
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#16]
alright, I'm just gonna go ahead and mark 87% of this thread down for a hard NO on the whole "to each their own" matter, and call it a day.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#17]

There’s no malicious intent in getting emotional when your defense of some behavior is called into question. It’s just basing your argument on…. emotions. And speaking of liberals….
View All Quotes

Weak dodge, and transparent.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Many of these replies are reminding me of a quote:

"Tyranny is often disguised as safety."
View Quote
Always.

Anyway, my wife would never think of something like this, and the same with me...and our kids.  We are "weird" that way.  My wife did keep an Airtag in her car, but that's because we didn't fully trust the mechanics.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

This is what projection looks like.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

You are of course referring to the post you made which precipitated this exchange.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Wife and I share locations with each other. I’m on duty 24 hours at a time so it’s peace of mind for both of us should we not be able to reach the other. She also commutes about 50 miles each day so it’s nice to be able to check and see when she’ll be home. Her workload varies and she’s always the last one to leave the clinic.

If either of us wanted to do something sketchy, we could leave our phones behind. It’s just a useful communication tool. If I was worried about her knowing where I was, I wouldn’t be married to her.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#22]

You are of course referring to the post you made which precipitated this exchange.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#23]

You’re seriously unable to understand the premise that if a frog is put suddenly into boiling water, it will jump out, but if the frog is put in tepid water which is then brought to a boil slowly, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death?

Don’t worry, some day you are likely to have your own “How the fuck did we get to this point?” epiphany.
View Quote

Ah finally you explain your lack of comprehension skills. We've already articulated that the surveillance state is here. It's already bad enough that not using your phone to share your location with your spouse make no difference at all.

Your analogy is bad and that's the point i was making. But you continue using your phone or computer thinking that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Project some more, Boomer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I don't care if you do or don't use it. I said a couple reasons why I thought it was a useful tool and get attacked by this boomer about essentially being a retard. Ok, boomer. I'll try and let my chains rest lightly when the govmint inserts their brain tracker in my head because I opened the floodgates when I let me wife see where I am.
Maybe someone should tell his family about it. It might avoid a "silver alert" when his senile old mind wanders off and gets lost in the woods. But then again, he most likely carries a cell phone anyways so his location can be tracked just the same.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Do it and purposely drive by titty bars and an occasional corner in the hood. Make it a pattern.

Make it fun
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

You sound emotional.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Ah finally you explain your lack of comprehension skills. We've already articulated that the surveillance state is here. It's already bad enough that not using your phone to share your location with your spouse make no difference at all.

Your analogy is bad and that's the point i was making. But you continue using your phone or computer thinking that.
View All Quotes

The analogy fits perfectly. But keep enjoying that warm bath.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#29]

You sound emotional.
View All Quotes

You sound emotional.

You sound like you shouldn't be making sounds.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Lol Uh huh sure buddy. Everyone else can now see it's a bad analogy. Thanks again for explaining it to the class.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#31]

I don't care if you do or don't use it. I said a couple reasons why I thought it was a useful tool and get attacked by this boomer about essentially being a retard. Ok, boomer. I'll try and let my chains rest lightly when the govmint inserts their brain tracker in my head because I opened the floodgates when I let me wife see where I am.
Maybe someone should tell his family about it. It might avoid a "silver alert" when his senile old mind wanders off and gets lost in the woods. But then again, he most likely carries a cell phone anyways so his location can be tracked just the same.
View All Quotes

Lol. Ah yes, there it is. Let it all out.  Mindlessly equates a user name with generation. Little wonder that you require an electronic monitor.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Lol Uh huh sure buddy. Everyone else can now see it's a bad analogy. Thanks again for explaining it to the class.
View All Quotes

It’s okay, you’re not alone. The frog didn’t realize that the water was getting warmer, either.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By wc22312:
Simple solution, I got rid of my women.

Just beer Xbox and moto at my house now.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

You sound emotional.

Dang, I hope this is just amazing irony and you’re not actually intending to present a liberal mindset.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#35]
It’s funny how many on this thread are so pussified  that they have to hide what they are doing from their wife. Lol

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Dang, I hope this is just amazing irony and you’re not actually intending to present a liberal mindset.
View Quote

Not at all, you're just testing the limits of my bullshit filter and tolerance for trolls.

Back to the beginning, you made a ham-handed attempt to broad-brush anyone that doesn't subscribe to your viewpoint with a "desire to track their spouse".  "Desire to track their spouse" implies a degree of malignant intent that nobody on the opposite side of the conversation has expressed which leads me to believe that you frame your argument in that fashion specifically because that is how you would use the tech if you were inclined to do so at all.  Either your predilection or lack of perspective prevents you from seeing any other use case as viable.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#37]

It’s okay, you’re not alone. The frog didn’t realize that the water was getting warmer, either.
View Quote

You think we're not already in a surveillance state? You think your phone isn't tracking you every second already, location and browsing data? Or your web browser when it asks to confirm your location when you search for items on home depots website and even if you click no it still approximates based on your IP address? Or those cameras on every street corner? Shall i go on about this sLoW rOlL into a surveillance state?

But muh spouse sharing locations is the last straw! It's the frog slowly boiling!

Oksure.gif
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Not at all, you're just testing the limits of my bullshit filter and tolerance for trolls.

Back to the beginning, you made a ham-handed attempt to broad-brush anyone that doesn't subscribe to your viewpoint with a "desire to track their spouse".  "Desire to track their spouse" implies a degree of malignant intent that nobody on the opposite side of the conversation has expressed which leads me to believe that you frame your argument in that fashion specifically because that is how you would use the tech if you were inclined to do so at all.  Either your predilection or lack of perspective prevents you from seeing any other use case as viable.
View All Quotes

I mean, it is what it is. If not “desiring” or “tracking”, how else would you refer to someone wishing to always being able to immediately know the location of their family members?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#39]

You think we're not already in a surveillance state? You think your phone isn't tracking you every second already, location and browsing data? Or your web browser when it asks to confirm your location when you search for items on home depots website and even if you click no it still approximates based on your IP address? Or those cameras on every street corner? Shall i go on about this sLoW rOlL into a surveillance state?

But muh spouse sharing locations is the last straw! It's the frog slowly boiling!

Oksure.gif
View All Quotes

Oksure.gif

Link to where I even suggested that we aren’t already in a surveillance state?

The water is already warm and getting hotter. That’s the slow roll. I guess what’s the harm in turning it up a few more degrees.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#40]

No, it’s all weird and dystopian.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cash50:
It's only weird when it's not a tech company tracking you.

No, it’s all weird and dystopian.

To most of arf this is the case.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:22:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#41]
Originally Posted By Wsr4325:
It’s funny how many on this thread are so pussified  that they have to hide what they are doing from their wife. Lol

View Quote

Well, perspectives are certainly interesting. My wife and I can call or text each other at any time we want. If we can’t respond in the moment, we can do so when we get a chance. Making assumptions based on nothing more than the other’s location leaves a lot of room for errors and misunderstandings that could easily be avoided with a simple conversation. We don’t feel a need to be in each others spaces all of the time.

I would hate to be growing up in this surveillance environment compared to my experience in the 1980s. I did my best not to subject my kids to it, either.

To those of you who are embracing the technology, do you wish your own parents had been able to keep such close tabs on you as a teenager?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#42]

I mean, it is what it is. If not “desiring” or “tracking”, how else would you refer to someone wishing to always being able to immediately know the location of their family members?
View Quote

Like I said, you are severely limited by either your predilection or lack of perspective or in all likelihood both.  Others are not so encumbered and can utilize available capabilities for non-nefarious purposes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#43]

The water is already warm and getting hotter. That’s the slow roll. I guess what’s the harm in turning it up a few more degrees.
View All Quotes

Sure let me quote myself

It's not 1984 and ushering in the police/surveillance state. That shit is already here and you refusing to use your phone that you carry with you to enhance your own life isn't gonna change that.

Then you followed up with your frog boiling analogy.

Which i then called out as being a bad analogy because i specifically pointed out we're already in a surveillance state. But with your analogy you're acting like we're not yet or just starting that flame. There is no boiling or water getting warmer. It's a bad analogy and you keep defending it like you know what you're talking about.

Sharing your location with your spouse isn't contributing towards the surveillance state when you're already surveilled in numerous ways as it is with your phone or laptop or in person.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#44]
To those paranoid about this:

Do you think your phone isn’t already tracking you?

If your spouse texts you “where you at?” Will you lie or refuse to answer?

If you want to sneak away and do something nefarious you can always leave your phone somewhere to create plausible deniability.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#45]

Sure let me quote myself

Which i then called out as being a bad analogy because i specifically pointed out we're already in a surveillance state. But with your analogy you're acting like we're not yet or just starting that flame. There is no boiling or water getting warmer. It's a bad analogy and you keep defending it like you know what you're talking about.

Sharing your location with your spouse isn't contributing towards the surveillance state when you're already surveilled in numerous ways as it is with your phone or laptop or in person.

View All Quotes

Sure let me quote myself

It's not 1984 and ushering in the police/surveillance state. That shit is already here and you refusing to use your phone that you carry with you to enhance your own life isn't gonna change that.

So we know that a surveillance state has evolved. But we’re confident that it is not and will not further evolve. The water is already at a full boil. There is nowhere left to go. Is that your argument?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
To those paranoid about this:

Do you think your phone isn’t already tracking you?

If your spouse texts you “where you at?” Will you lie or refuse to answer?

If you want to sneak away and do something nefarious you can always leave your phone somewhere to create plausible deniability.  
View Quote

I wouldn’t have thought that the third parties GM uses to manage its OnStar system would be selling that data to insurance companies, either.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#47]

So we know that a surveillance state has evolved. But we’re confident that it is not and will not further evolve. The water is already at a full boil. There is nowhere left to go. Is that your argument?
View Quote

Sorry bud i don't have time to continue that silly argument with you. I'm on my way home. My wife checked my location and will have dinner ready when i get home lol

Sharing your location with your spouse isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Like I said, you are severely limited by either your predilection or lack of perspective or in all likelihood both.  Others are not so encumbered and can utilize available capabilities for non-nefarious purposes.
View All Quotes

You’re probably right. It’s not like we’ve ever seen the technology behind non-nefarious applications grow into things…. not so non-nefarious.

But yeah, I must not be able to trust myself with the technology or realize the few benefits it does replicate.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
My entire family uses Life 360 so any of us can see where the others are at any time.

I must live a boring life because there’s nothing for her to spy on. Went to work, okay? Had a beer at a buddy’s, okay? Went to the gun shop, okay? She would get bored if she was using it to find conflict.
View Quote

Same here.

Crash detection is nice to have when you have young kids on the road.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:45:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#50]

Sorry bud i don't have time to continue that silly argument with you. I'm on my way home. My wife checked my location and will have dinner ready when i get home lol

View All Quotes

Kind of sad that a more personal form of communication such as a phone call didn’t occur.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top