BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zukguy:
My wife and I have 360 on our phones and love it, it's nice to be able to just see how far from home they are or whatever.

Has nothing to do with not trusting one another, and everything to do with making sure we're both safe.
View Quote
Exactly

Between 360 and my Garmin app they really saved my bacon when I was off trail injured and my phone had gotten ejected. When I wasn't back to the trailhead in a timely manner it made it way easier for my wife to get SAR close to my location
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Could care less about my wife tracking me but life360 is a battery draining mofo.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Worked with a guy who's wife would track him to see if he was really at work or where he would go when hanging out with friends. She was convinced he was cheating on her, and constantly check to see where was. I remember one time he went to Dallas with some friends, she flipped her shit claiming he went to a strip club that was a few miles away from the restaurant he and his friends went to get something to eat at. She was crazy, even threatened to smash a free TV another coworker offered to give him if he brought it home. Honestly don't know why he married her, her sister was better looking, could cook, worked out, and even would bring home girls from the gym for her boyfriend.

If a woman is that crazy she needs to know where you are at all times, leave her before she goes Lorena Bobbitt on you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I think my wife can track the teenage girls on their iPhones and they can see her. I'm on Android and we can't see each other and don't care to.

She takes a road trip to Vegas for work once or twice a year. She'll send me a tracking link in Waze to see where she's at on the drive. That's about it
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Stokes:
My wife has the ability to track me, but I'm not sure she's ever used it.

She's not insecure.  I'm not philandering.
View Quote

Ironic avatar.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife and I can see each others locations using find my iPhone.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife complains that I won't get an Iphone because I don't want her tracking me.  She might be right.  Or, I  might not want to learn a different operating system. Either might be true.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#8]
We both have ours on along with some immediate family (they help us with child care).  No secrets here just sometimes easier to look and see how close one is to home than to text or whatever.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SavedByTheBlood:
So it came up the other day that in one of our social circles( mostly people 30s-40 with kids the same age as ours) that my wife is the only one that isn't tracking her husband's location all the time via a phone app. Apparently all the other women have trackers on their husbands phones.

My response was kind of like what the ? I think it's just odd these people are tracking their spouses location. Does anyone else think it's weird to track your spouses location? Now the wife wants to put trackers on our phones and was put off because I said no. Heck I haven't even hooked up the smart home stuff at our new house because I'd rather flip a switch then scream at the damn Alexa to turn the light on. I also found out that my boomer parents are even doing the tracker thing.
View Quote

My girlfriend has it along w/ some of her family members.    I've had it.   Doesn't particularly bother me since where I am and where I go are pretty much an open book.    

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#10]
When our marriage was nearly over, I found that my ex had tracking software on my phone.  She also had a keylogger in my computer and would force herself to stay awake after I had gone to sleep so she could go through my texts and emails.

Of course, she was a cheating whore, so she was desperate to find evidence of me being a cheating whore too.   Oh, well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I see a lot of "I have nothing to hide" comments here.  So by that logic, if I enjoy privacy, then I must have something to hide?  Fuck that noise.  I grew up in the 80's and 90's, when we appreciated privacy.  Well, nothing has changed in my mind.  Just because the technology has changed, doesn't mean we should have to embrace it.  FUCK.  Go ahead and talk yourself into a world without privacy.  May your chains rest lightly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:20:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whollyshite] [#12]
Is she going to track me going to work, going home from work, taking my son to scouts, or out at my dad's feeding the cows?

Uh, oh, she might catch me at the grocery store if I'm not careful.  Then things would get spicy!  I'm not sure if I'm ready for that conversation...

What if she finds out that I'm secretly going to Lowe's to pick up supplies for her garden?  Divorce court?  How much will I lose?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By shack357:

Wanna know where I am? Fucking call and ask. If I'm late getting home from work I'm probably either at a gun shop or checking one of the eagle nests I watch.

During fall I might have pulled off on public hunting land.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shack357:
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
Originally Posted By RatherBeLifting:
We have shared location on for everyone in the family that has a phone.

Plan for the worst and all that.

Any of us can get on maps and see where anyone else is at.

Why would anyone be worried about their spouse being able to see where they are?

If my wife said that she wants to track me then we would end up having a discussion.

That said, our family shares location data with each other.  I agreed to become one with her for the rest of my life.  I don't really care if she knows where I am via my phone.

I don't understand the guys saying it's a big deal to share location. It's a security thing, if someone doesn't show up when they are supposed to you can check on them. If we are both away from home doing our own thing and we can't get ahold of the other one, it's nice to know we can at least check to see where they are.

It's not like I'm going to get scolded if she looks at it and sees me at the movies or something.

Wanna know where I am? Fucking call and ask. If I'm late getting home from work I'm probably either at a gun shop or checking one of the eagle nests I watch.

During fall I might have pulled off on public hunting land.

Why waste the call when it's easy enough to convey that information without having to actually do anything?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I think this is going to be one of those threads where we learn who is and isn't in a good relationship with their spouse.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:21:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#17]
My wife asked me to track her when she got involved in a road-rage incident after passing someone on a backroad without knowing where she was on the way home one night (still not sure why she called ME and not 911, but I digress ).

I keep tabs on my Mom (much to her chagrin) because she lives close enough I could jog to her house, and she already had a heart attack a few years ago, which I had to drive her to the hospital for.

Also have a couple friends that I hunt/fish with who forgot to turn it off after we went on a guy's trip to the Keys a few years back. Another buddy of mine and I share our location through Snap/Messenger because we kayak fish together somewhat often and it's damn near impossible to see a guy in a kayak, while being a guy in a kayak, with grass, mangroves, the glare of the sun, etc. in between each other. I'm not trying to "paddle over here to where I am" if he's drifting in the same direction I'm paddling.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By teamr2:
Could care less about my wife tracking me but life360 is a battery draining mofo.
View Quote

THAT'S why we got rid of it!   Thanks for pinging my memory.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#19]
It means nothing...phone can be in cupholder while the wife's in the back seat....in Minecraft. Hoe's gonna do hoe things.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I think this is going to be one of those threads where we learn who is and isn't in a good relationship with their spouse.
View Quote

That is besides the point!

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
My wife and I can both see where the other person's phone is on Google maps.  She is often in meetings all day, and sometimes has work events in the evening, and I often don't answer the phone (or forget that I turned the ringer off) - so it's a very convenient feature to be able to double-check where the person is if you cannot reach them.

I don't see it as "tracking" - i see it as a useful feature.
View Quote

This.  It's a tool in the bag.  She can check to see if I've arrived safely when I travel for work.  I can check if she's working late or making a stop on the way home without having to bother her with a message.  We're not obsessively monitoring each other's movements.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeap, do it. All it does is lull the wife into a false sense of security, it's easily defeated and you can do what the hell you like while the wife thinks she outsmarted you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#23]
My wife and I track each other. We are constantly out running errands, picking up/dropping off kids, so it's handy.  If we need something from the store and I see she is going to be driving past one, I'll ping her about it. She also loses her phone about 3x per week, so tracking lets me know where she left it. Found it at a neighbor's house one time after she left it on the roof of the car and drove off without it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#24]
finally, one of the advantages of having a wife who's really dumb with technology
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Our whole family has it, but we don't track unless needed, or if something needs to be picked up.

Has helped a few times, once or twice when kids got turned around driving home in areas where cell coverage was spotty, helping wife with directions around traffic jams, etc.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
I wouldn't want mine know how frequently I am at gun stores!
View Quote

I know, that gets expensive real quick.

Honey, can you pick me up a sling for my shotgun while you're there?

Or shells, or reloading components...

Her list is long!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
My wife doesn't care but there's is a high end gun store across the highway from Wal mart
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Originally Posted By whollyshite:
Is she going to track me going to work, going home from work, taking my son to scouts, or out at my dad's feeding the cows?

Uh, oh, she might catch me at the grocery store if I'm not careful.  Then things would get spicy!

What if she finds out that I'm secretly going to Lowe's to pick up supplies for her garden?  Divorce court?  How much will I lose?
My wife doesn't care but there's is a high end gun store across the highway from Wal mart

Just drive to the WM parking lot and leave your phone sitting on one of the light pillars.  It'll be fine...  
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#29]
It's weird as hell and if my wife ever suggested it we would be having a serious discussion. She either trusts me or don't and I'm not living in a trust less marriage.

OP I also know people who do this and have pissed off more than one when I said it's effing weird.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I can't imagine the insecurity involved with needing to be able to track a spouse's whereabouts at all times.

Fuck off with that shit.  If it is used as an emergency feature, sure, cool. I get the utility.  Kids.  Ok, I can understand that aspect, too.  But if he/she requires it for anytime use, that underscores some major trust issues that would cause me to have to reconsider some stuff. I have nothing to hide, but I also don't consent to warrantless searches or volunteer unnecessary info during a traffic stop.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I don’t care if my wife tracks my location.

But we have that level of trust in our relationship.

18Z50
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm the past I would have said no way!

But my thinking has changed in the last year or so. I think Mutual sharing of location, passwords, etc is a good way to foster trust in a marriage.

Now if she were using it to be a nag, I would definitely put my foot down.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#33]
When my son is flying I ask him to share via find my friends.

Small planes and helicopters are low enough that cell services does great for that.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:53:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Edge-To-Life] [#34]
Wife and I track our locations. Not because we’re jealous, untrusting people, but we are active and go places without each other often enough that it’s a good back up should something happen.

No big deal here. If the motivation was untrustworthiness, then it’d be an issue.

ETA: my wife has the option to track our daughters and son too. I asked them to allow her to since they’re in their young 20s and dating. Again, just some insurance.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#35]
So it came up the other day that in one of our social circles( mostly people 30s-40 with kids the same age as ours) that my wife is the only one that isn’t tracking her husband’s location all the time via a phone app. Apparently all the other women have trackers on their husbands phones.

My response was kind of like what the ? I think it’s just odd these people are tracking their spouses location. Does anyone else think it’s weird to track your spouses location? Now the wife wants to put trackers on our phones and was put off because I said no. Heck I haven’t even hooked up the smart home stuff at our new house because I’d rather flip a switch then scream at the damn Alexa to turn the light on. I also found out that my boomer parents are even doing the tracker thing.
View Quote

My wife and I have "shared location" on our phones for each other.   I don't recall ever using it.  I'm not sure if she has.   I don't care either way.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:55:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#36]
The pool boy will be at your house banging Sally anyway, so how is location going to help you with it, unless you want to join in for a threesome.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#37]
My family all share locations with each other.  We don't really use it often, but it's handy.  It really isn't about control or trust.  It's useful to see if one of my kids made it home, whether my wife is an hour away or around the corner, etc. (without having to call them)

Speaking in generalities: the government, cell phone companies and malicious people track you daily with your phone, and your phone records everything you say.  They track you on your computer.  There are cameras every block across the whole US that track your vehicle movements.  Your own vehicle likely reports your movements.  Everything you say on the phone is monitored and recorded, facial recognition cameras are everywhere and we haven't even gotten to what your employer does.  And you guys choose to focus on whether someone's spouse can see their location?  I think out of all of my problems in life when it comes to privacy, my wife knowing where I am isn't even on the list.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#38]
It’s pretty convenient as a safety feature. It tracks you anyway, but at least this way your loved ones can find you easily in the event of an emergency or problem.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Family tracking is awesome. It isn't about trust. I know where my family is, and if anything goes off plan.

I can send the kids to unload the groceries when I get a notification that the wife is home too. (or we can get decent if the kids come home unexpectedly)

The advantages are huge. If you're really worried about privacy don't carry a smartphone.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#41]
If I was told that I a spouse or gf wanted to track me via phone, my iPhone I would head down to the truck stop and put the phone on a semi headed for the east coast
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By 64tinc:
NSA IS RECORDING WHERE YOU GO AS WELL AS YOUR SPOUSE. JUST SAY NO TO IPHONE.
View Quote

I mean even if the app super duper picky swore they weren’t going to sell your tracking info to third parties or share it with authorities I’d never believe them.

I’m actually very surprised the number of people on THIS board of all places would be on board with this type of surveillance, spouse or otherwise. I’m a 40 year old man and my mom asked me to share my Waze tracking so she could make sure I was alright (something my sister in law showed her) the last time I took a road trip. I refused. I get tracking kids to a certain extent but  handing kids phones and all the negatives of social media and all seems like a net loss. We shouldn’t be this connected 24/7.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By TomMcC:
Do they or your wife justify it as some sort of safety thing? So, if something happens to you or her you know where to send the cops and EMTs. Or did they just not trust their husbands?
View Quote

Idk. My wife says for safety reasons but I know she’ll just use it to see where I’m at on my way home and ask me to stop at various places( like for Italian ice) because she’ll know I haven’t passed it yet. Or just start complaining about the route I took home from the store isn’t the fastest route or not the way she would go.

One of her friends was over for a play date with the kids and checked on her husband and said she would hangout longer since he’s still at the golf course and then told us a story about how she freaked out and thought he died in a accident because he got stuck in traffic and his phone died so he wasn’t home on time and wasn’t answering calls. Apparently this prompted the need for location tracking.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Lost my phone during Sturgis for a few hours, didn't realize I didn't have it. Used my wifes phone to track where it was, and it was at the HD dealership, still in the bathroom on the TP dispenser right where I left it.
Had to wait for a guy in there to finish dropping a duece and ended up talking to the dude for 45 minutes. No one saw it, I assume because of my sweet camo phone case.
Handy feature.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#45]
We've been able to track each other for years... The only time I look lately is to see if she is on the way home from Universal/Disney yet.

Don't know if she really ever looks at mine. My oldest daughter is the stalker though...
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone know how to do this cross platform?  

That is to say, my Apple tracking my dad’s Android and vice versa.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#47]
My wife and I and our 2 kids use Life360.

It's nice to be able to pull up where everyone's PHONE is... LOL!

If my wife checked my location all the time on Life360, she would get bored of seeing the same shit day after day.

-ZA
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#48]

Idk. My wife says for safety reasons but I know she’ll just use it to see where I’m at on my way home and ask me to stop at various places( like for Italian ice) because she’ll know I haven’t passed it yet. Or just start complaining about the route I took home from the store isn’t the fastest route or not the way she would go.

One of her friends was over for a play date with the kids and checked on her husband and said she would hangout longer since he’s still at the golf course and then told us a story about how she freaked out and thought he died in a accident because he got stuck in traffic and his phone died so he wasn’t home on time and wasn’t answering calls. Apparently this prompted the need for location tracking.
View Quote

So you get hen pecked in real time about the routes you drive? Not even the cheating aspect just complaining about every day mundanity? Again we don’t need to be this connected. Lordy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Since there is absolutely zero in life I need to hide from my wife, I do not mind that she tracks me... and I do not clear my search history.

Hell, my location is shared with 6 - 8 of my hunting buddies.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#50]
We use life 360.  

Wife used to have a shitty commute and it gave peace of mind to see a notification she ‘arrived at work’ pop up.  Especially during snow storms.  

Also if she tells me she’s stopping at Target after work theres a 99% chance I forget come evening.  If she don't come home at her normal time and I’m thinking she’s in the ditch or a traffic pile up, I suddenly remember when I check Life360.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top