Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Big Piggie with single round of 180 HST .40 from a PD trade in bargain M&P.

Taken with one round at 3AM at night using Tritium Nights to line up sights with TLR-1 light to positively identify Hog as "Target" .

37 measured yards at oh dark thirty.  Bang and he flopped over DRT (Dead Right There).  Went out in the morning, measured the distance and he hadn't moved (no blood trail or drag marks in the soil)

I doubt he could be any deader with a .45ACP, .357 Sig, 10mm or whatever.   Most service handgun rounds are actually pretty comparable in effectiveness when loaded with good bullets (Gold Dots or HST type).  That said, a handgun is definitely second fiddle to a long gun ...

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice shooting, nice pistols and nice knife.

You going to eat that sow?  In my fairly limited experience, the pregnant or recently pregnant ones tend to have a little more fat on them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#3]
pics of HST opened up are why I stoke them in all my defensive stuff, both 9mm and 45. Big angry lawn mower looking thing to be spinning around in your meat at the speed of sound
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#4]

that's solid performance

nothing like seeing the real-world results
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gotigers:
Those are huge retrievals.

What did they weigh?
View Quote

Haven’t weighed the bullets yet, I cleaned them and left them to dry.  I’ll try and get weights tonight.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ar15joe:

Which HST ? +P or standard? What range and where did you hit them?
View Quote

Standard 230 gr. HST.  Ranges from 10-25 yards.  Most shots were neck and chest, the recovered round that lost some lead hit the dorsal spinous processes but still made it out the other side, but barely.  It fell out near the dead hog and was laying on the ground.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DFARM:
Nice shooting, nice pistols and nice knife.

You going to eat that sow?  In my fairly limited experience, the pregnant or recently pregnant ones tend to have a little more fat on them.
View Quote

I took the back straps and both hind quarters off that sow.  She had an inch of fat over her back and nearly 2” on her sides.  She was the better of the two sows, by far.  I won’t eat the boars unless under 120# or so, they get rank after that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

https://i.imgur.com/0iW1a0v.jpg

Taken with one round at 3AM at night using Tritium Nights to line up sights with TLR-1 light to positively identify Hog as "Target" .

37 measured yards at oh dark thirty.  Bang and he flopped over DRT (Dead Right There).  Went out in the morning, measured the distance and he hadn't moved (no blood trail or drag marks in the soil)

I doubt he could be any deader with a .45ACP, .357 Sig, 10mm or whatever.   Most service handgun rounds are actually pretty comparable in effectiveness when loaded with good bullets (Gold Dots or HST type).  That said, a handgun is definitely second fiddle to a long gun ...

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

Good shooting!

And, thanks for teaching me how to post pictures a while back.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Actiondiver:
Great shooting, sweet builds, and a nice knife! Well done.

Also, were the 45 rounds +P or standard pressure?
View Quote

Thanks!  Standard pressure 230s.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Dead hogs always make me smile. Nicely done, OP.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RTX:
Dead hogs always make me smile. Nicely done, OP.
View Quote

Not gonna lie, it brought a smile to my face as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Not to turn this into a "which ammo is best" thread, but here are a few pictures of a 230 gr. Rem Golden Sabre that I shot a hog with a few years ago at less than 5 yards.  Hit this boar on the shoulder with a 5" 1911, and the bullet bounced off the shoulder and was lying on the ground about 10" from where he was standing when I shot him.  Granted, it was a big boar (well over 400 lbs., he was standing amongst my 650 lb. calves eating cubes when I shot him) and a boar's shoulder is extremely tough, but still...

And please, these are honest photos and circumstances.  My wife and I discussed it last night, she was with me when it happened.  He came running to the feed truck, I fed, got out, walked in amongst my yearlings until I got a clear shot at him, and put one right on the shoulder blade.  It literally bounced off.  I used to carry Golden Sabres because of their round nose profile and solid feeding, but I quit that very day.  I still have a couple of ammo cans of them, and if you believe in them I will make you a deal, but I don't carry them anymore after this.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RedAngus:
Not to turn this into a "which ammo is best" thread, but here are a few pictures of a 230 gr. Rem Golden Sabre that I shot a hog with a few years ago at less than 5 yards.  Hit this boar on the shoulder with a 5" 1911, and the bullet bounced off the shoulder and was lying on the ground about 10" from where he was standing when I shot him.  Granted, it was a big boar (well over 400 lbs., he was standing amongst my 650 lb. calves eating cubes when I shot him) and a boar's shoulder is extremely tough, but still...

And please, these are honest photos and circumstances.  My wife and I discussed it last night, she was with me when it happened.  He came running to the feed truck, I fed, got out, walked in amongst my yearlings until I got a clear shot at him, and put one right on the shoulder blade.  It literally bounced off.  I used to carry Golden Sabres because of their round nose profile and solid feeding, but I quit that very day.  I still have a couple of ammo cans of them, and if you believe in them I will make you a deal, but I don't carry them anymore after this.

https://i.imgur.com/LuY9rpn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0q9QiZn.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/W4TAGaD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/MNOCjvc.jpg

View Quote

How sure are you that the bullet hit the shoulder (and only the shoulder)? Did it impact the ground first?

Shouldn't a 230 grain .45 from a 5" barrel smash bone? I understand terminal performance being hindered through the shoulder bone of a hog, but it should have penetrated to some degree through the bone, right??? Serious question......not meant to criticize.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:30:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#15]
Originally Posted By HoodyHoo21:

How sure are you that the bullet hit the shoulder (and only the shoulder)? Did it impact the ground first?

Shouldn't a 230 grain .45 from a 5" barrel smash bone? I understand terminal performance being hindered through the shoulder bone of a hog, but it should have penetrated to some degree through the bone, right??? Serious question......not meant to criticize.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Or at the very least ripped some skin open and got bloody? I know some bones are closer to the skin than others, but there ought to be a little fat, muscle, something between the shoulder and the hide, no?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Pair_of_ACES:
Beautiful. Doing the Lord's work.

I carry an HK USP Match with HSTs as a backup when hog hunting. It's a reliable killer, and the compensator acts as a stand-off device in case of a contact shot. I've been charged multiple times in close brush.

https://i.ibb.co/bmzh9ny/EF910901-E03-B-4-EDA-8-E3-D-7-A71-A534-A2-A6.jpg
View Quote

USPs are freakin awesome. I really wanna test my USP 45 Tactical with a suppressor on hogs someday.

.45 ACP seems like a perfect round for these critters.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Or at the very least ripped some skin open and got bloody? I know some bones are closer to the skin than others, but there ought to be a little fat, muscle, something between the shoulder and the hide, no?
View All Quotes

Big boars have a shoulder plate or shield that is essentially hog kevlar. It's from their natural evolutionary process with the purpose to shield them when fighting other big hogs. Some of them get really, really thick on those big old boys - like one to two inches thick. That's why an ear shot is always best on a big hog.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Big boars have a shoulder plate or shield that is essentially hog kevlar. It's from their natural evolutionary process with the purpose to shield them when fighting other big hogs. Some of them get really, really thick on those big old boys - like one to two inches thick. That's why an ear shot is always best on a big hog.
View All Quotes

Learn something new everyday. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Of course, the OP already knows that as many hogs as he's killed and I didn't mean for it to sound critical of him for not taking an ear shot. He did the best he could do under the circumstances - on the ground within five yards of a big boar, scared to death and screaming like a little girl, his old lady sitting in the cake truck laughing her ass off and trying to get video on her iPhone. He did okay.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Who made the knife?

@redangus
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:11:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#23]
Great against flesh, shit against vehicle bodies lol. Older models at least, probably do fine against alum bodies.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I was 5 yards away, he was eating in my feed line, stood 3.5-4’ tall, and I watched it hit.  He looked like he had been shot, and took off.  I saw the bullet laying on the ground with hair in the folded petals.

I’m not saying I’m infallible, but I train/shoot a lot and , even discounting the facts that I just mentioned, I’m not going to miss an animal the nearly the size of my yearling calves at 15’.

I’m 100% sure that bullet hit him in the shoulder.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Of course, the OP already knows that as many hogs as he's killed and I didn't mean for it to sound critical of him for not taking an ear shot. He did the best he could do under the circumstances - on the ground within five yards of a big boar, scared to death and screaming like a little girl, his old lady sitting in the cake truck laughing her ass off and trying to get video on her iPhone. He did okay.
View Quote

I love ya’, man.  Just a little bit of homo…

But I didn’t take the ear shot b/c he was chowing down on my expensive feed and his head was moving back n’ forth like @JLPettimoreIII watching Lean Beef Patty or one of those manly gals doing speed curls.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ENGCPT:
Who made the knife?

@redangus
View Quote

A young man (in 1996) named J. Earl, who I met at the Bob Norman Original Gun Show in Ft. Worth.  He was extremely talented to be in his mid-20s at that time. I wish I had bought more of his knives, he had some really nice ones but I was poor and just starting out in those days. This one has been a real workhorse for me over the years, really good steel and holds an edge forever.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice.
My favorite 45Auto load.

Good shooting, too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

If you’ve ever watched boars fight, they rake their razor-sharp tusks against each other’s’ shoulders with little to no effect.  I will take some pictures and post them in the next few days showing the edge on those tusks.  They make work boots out of pigskin for a reason.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks like HST is one big failure.

You see a .45 will blow someone in half, which did not occur here
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Looks like HST is one big failure.

You see a .45 will blow someone in half, which did not occur here
View Quote

I didn’t mention that it actually knocked these hogs into the next county?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Those HSTs petal beautifully. Would look super in an acrylic cube. Art in its highest form.  1911 fan here and 230gr is a fantastic round.
Lots of hogs in east east texas.  Seeing them as road kill and some are huge.  
Keep on knocking those out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Mfinaustin:
Those HSTs petal beautifully. Would look super in an acrylic cube. Art in its highest form.  1911 fan here and 230gr is a fantastic round.
Lots of hogs in east east texas.  Seeing them as road kill and some are huge.  
Keep on knocking those out.
View Quote

Never thought about that idea, but I have a lot of recovered bullets (HSTs, Barnes TSX in .30 & .375, some .264 Swift Sciroccos, etc.) that would make a neat display.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#33]

But I didn’t take the ear shot b/c he was chowing down on my expensive feed and his head was moving back n’ forth like @JLPettimoreIII watching Lean Beef Patty or one of those manly gals doing speed curls.
View All Quotes

I didn't want to be the first to mention it, but that is something I've also noticed about Pettimore. He does seem to be attracted to that masculine phenotype in his girls(?). Not saying he's 100% gay, just that he bears watching. Excellent point.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Efl15:
.45 ACP is the ideal pistol cartridge.
View Quote

The reality is it is one of the worst of not the worst.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

You'll have that with .45 ACP.

It's slow.

10mm hard cast or solid copper is the way to go.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Awesome.

Went on a hog hunt years ago and got two.  One with an AR, one with a 1911.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SpacemanSpiff:

View All Quotes

Eh, depends on what for.

Like the OP, if I was going out to shoot some hogs, I'd likely grab my Glock 21 over my Glock 17.

I bought my Glock 21 initially for bowling pin shoots, where .45 is obviously better than 9mm.

I carry a P365, so it that regards I think 9mm is better for concealed carry. For bumps in the night (other than grabbing an AR) I'd reach for one of my .45 or .40 S&W guns over my 9mm.

I'm not sure there is one best for everything- everything stretching the gauntlet from hunting, gaming, and personnel protection.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#38]

It's slow.

View Quote

I’ve thought about trying the Underwood fluted solids in .45 ACP, but I have been consistently impressed with HSTs.  It would take a lot of testing to get me to change, either bullets or calibers.  And I’m pretty heavily invested in .45 1911s, although I have a few 1911s in 9mm too.  Probably not going to get into 10mm, but might pick up a Delta Elite to try one of these days.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Good shooting!

View All Quotes

Bigger_Hammer

Good shooting!

You are more than welcome & again - congrats on lowering our Texas Pig Population by 3.

If you get a change to be in Central Texas in the Spring or Fall, you should definitely try to make it to one of the "Cheesecake" met ups.

Bunch of ARFCOM folks eating delicious meats, drinking vast quantities of various beverages   & shooting the shit over all things ARFCOM.

Keep an eye out for it over on the Texas Home Town Forum and you'll see events for it and other ARF Folks events all over the state.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#40]
nice shootin' Tex.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Pair_of_ACES:
Beautiful. Doing the Lord’s work.

I carry an HK USP Match with HSTs as a backup when hog hunting. It’s a reliable killer, and the compensator acts as a stand-off device in case of a contact shot. I’ve been charged multiple times in close brush.

https://i.ibb.co/bmzh9ny/EF910901-E03-B-4-EDA-8-E3-D-7-A71-A534-A2-A6.jpg
View Quote

Nice!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#42]

I have loose mineral feeders near my stock tanks for cattle (I get a custom mix made for my area to address deficiencies).  I was driving around on the Gator checking on these and was going down a draw that leads to a tank when I saw a piglet dart under a big cedar.  I immediately turned off in another direction and kept going, out of sight.  Then I circled around on foot to get the wind, and stalked up the draw to within 10 yards.  

I could see them hiding under the cedars, so when I ran out of cover I took my first shots at one of them standing broadside.  Put 2 in her, she went down and the rest flushed right, left, and away from me through the cedars.  I took 3 shots at a big boar that was running to my left, and got him with all 3. He was around 15 yards, and had to stay at that distance in an arc around me due to a bluff that hemmed him in a little. But he still ran about 50 yards up the draw before he died.   The third was running to my right and she was getting out to about 20 yards when I started in on her.  I shot at her 4 times, hit her 3.  The last one was a neck shot that tumbled her at about 25 yards.

I could have used the AR and done a little better, but had just finished up my pistol and wanted to use it.  I try to get some live action on all my new guns as soon as I can.
View Quote

Nice job OP, fine looking 1911's and skinner.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Nice shooting!

What kind of penetration are you getting?

I ask because those bullets with such full expansion appear to be perfect and very desirable for self protection on two legged critters but on big hogs (out in the woods/swamps) I think I myself might desire more penetration along the lines of increasing the chance of scoring  both entrance and exit wounds.

Maybe thinking too much , hard to argue with actual results.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Muad:
Glock boyz, "Did you only shoot three because your 1911 jammed?"...

Nice work OP, and beautiful pistols. I carry HSTs in my 1911s also.

I'm curious if 124gr or 147gr 9mm HSTs would have performed as well? I'm a .45ACP guy, but the 9mm crowd keeps telling me it's mo betta and I don't need a double stack 1911/2011 in .45 when I can get one in 9mm...

View Quote
I have killed numerous hogs of all sizes with 9 mm 147 grain basic jacket at hollow point bullets. SBR.

Largest hog was approximately 350 pounds.

There were two of them and my plan was to shoot the first one in the neck and try and drop it and then start plugging holes in the other one as it was running away but they saw me spooked so I was only able to start plugging holes in the one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Lol
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice shooting Tex.......
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Just finished up a new 1911 build and ran about 500 rounds through it yesterday.  Afterwards, while checking loose mineral feeders, I found a sounder of hogs.  Ended up killing 3 with my pistol, and recovered a few of the bullets.  Two were near-perfect mushrooms, but the third lost some lead out of the expanded portion.  I actually found that one on the ground in a pool of blood about 10' from one of the dead hogs.

https://i.imgur.com/qzxxME3.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/t9MFMfI.jpg
View Quote
Nice shooting!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#50]

It's slow.

View All Quotes

It's slow.

You will have that happen with any handgun round occasionally.  There are documented cases of .357 failing to penetrate even human skulls, not to mention bear.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top