Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:44:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Austin4130:
Not here.

Handle your stuff, enjoy your time.
View Quote

In my job you can never catch up. There are 100 hours worth of work and if you finish it they will give you 120 hours worth of work.

So we never deny pto requests.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By slater2111:
lol at that. I can come in for pre shift overtime and then leave for my regular shift with annual paid time off. I’m also taking 6 months off for the birth of my son. 3 months paternal leave, and a combination of annual leave and comp time for the other 3.
View Quote

That's awesome. I got 1 week per kid. It fucking sucked.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
That is the reason I quit the only actual punch a time clock job I ever had. We had agreed on time off weeks in advance but when the time came he said I need you to work. So I gave me two weeks and worked that weekend. Looking back he probably did me a favor.
View Quote

I will bet anything there was favoritism involved.

Agirl called and asked me to cover for her. Said no. Manager calls and tells me I have to come in.  I said “I covered for that person many times they wouldn’t cover for me when I needed it”. Manager said she would fire me.  I said “ no you won’t. Gotta go”

Manager was friends with the girl  but wasn’t going to trade me for her.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 7255:

Damn you
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Quintin:
I guess I'm fortunate that my boss encourages me to get away from work and take my time. And I'll never deny any of my guys PTO.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Not here.

View Quote

FPNI.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Silverslider:
I very rarely deny a pto request. I have a business to run and can’t have everyone take off at the same time. Likewise if I don’t have a business I don’t have jobs to offer.  All I ask is people help me plan. We can even go down to a skeleton crew if needed and I always jump in to lend a hand to keep things going. The few times I have “denied” a request was because to many people were already off and it was a last minute request and we either work or we shutdown. They always understand. We do take into account emergencies and also offer paid sick time in addition to pto (vacation).  
AND I always plan my vacations around everyone else so my team always comes first
View Quote

Work with me and I’ll work with you seems like a better long run strategy over “FU”
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GGF:
I remember those days.

Retire ASAP and never look back.
( I retired from from full time when I was 59 & 1/2.)

The older you get the more you realize your not working, you're selling time of your life.
View Quote

That's a damn good way of putting it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:38:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I get 25days  pto and 12 sick days a year. sick days accumulate
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:56:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I work rotating shifts.

I hit the ten year mark this year, so I got 160 hours of vacation time.

I can take a Wednesday and a Thursday off as floaters, and then I would be off an entire week.  And only get charged for being off 24 hours.  

What blows is we can only take 7 floaters per year.

We have “short term disability”.

I called off “sick” to work because of my knee.  This was a couple of years ago.  My work’s medical office faxed over an “employee health record” for my doctor to fill out.  But the office drone faxed it over in like half sheet mode.  It was scaled down really small, and it pissed my doc off.  So he gave me a return to work date of a month later.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:22:47 AM EDT
[#11]
So the rate of approvals went up 9%, and the takeaway is that it’s harder to take time off work.

Lol
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:38:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Stlrain0341:
So the rate of approvals went up 9%, and the takeaway is that it’s harder to take time off work.
Lol
View Quote

It's a bullshit statistic without variables. I've seen new employees ask to go in the hole for PTO for vacation. We have one kid who's constantly riding zero balance...he just can't seem to work a really fucking easy 8-hour day desk job. And we have flex-time as part of our contract. We can work between 4-12 hours in a day. We don't get OT, but I could (if I had the attention span at work) front load the first week and get a four-day weekend every other week. I so far ahead on hours and my government daddy needs some help tomorrow monring, so I'll work a couple hours of "uncompensated time" for the first time. I'm not being a martyr, there's a reason to document uncompensated work time, but I'll still getting off of work by 1100 in the morning on a Friday. I can, but won't flex for an entire day off...when my wife finds out, she gives me too much shit too do at home or run her errands that I can't go to the range

Planned vacations and using PTO really aren't the problem. Sure, some employers might be assholes, but as long as the employee doesn't make themselves the single-point of failure or "mission critical", they have demonstrated a solid work ethic and good performance, and can plan for their absence, there's little excuse for denial of time off.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#13]

You cruel bastard

How are the hand-dug mines? Ready for another twenty years with no days off?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 7255:

You cruel bastard

How are the hand-dug mines? Ready for another twenty years with no days off?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#15]
@7255

"life has never been moar fine than it is right now.  today is a good day.  a very good day.  i am enjoying the situation i'm currently in.  i would not change anything about this situation.  things are good.  things are calm.  this is fine."

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Not here.

View Quote

This.
My company doesn’t even track PTO anymore.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I am sorry Boss.  My "PTO request" was more of a notification that I was going to be off.  I didn't realize you thought you had to approve it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
@7255

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyInLmIcWmY

"life has never been moar fine than it is right now.  today is a good day.  a very good day.  i am enjoying the situation i'm currently in.  i would not change anything about this situation.  things are good.  things are calm.  this is fine."

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Not where I work.

I told my boss when he hired me, when I put in for time off it's not me requesting the time off, it's me telling you what days I won't be there!

He seemed and has been pretty OK with that.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top