Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I always took the week following Thanksgiving off to bear hunt. I had a supervisor tell me the day before my vacation that I couldn't take it. Mind you that I had put in for this time off in January and it was now November so nearly a year notice.  Ok Kenny, "I quit". He immediately started backpedaling and asked me if I would bring him some bear meat.  On the last day of hunting we killed a bear that was infested with roundworms. They were in every organ, the abdominal cavity, lungs and heart. I brought him 20 pounds of that meat making sure that there were no worms visible. Fuck you Kenny.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve never had my leave denied. But I also put my leave chit in far in advance. The only trouble I’ve ever had was when I put my chit in and my boss told me to make sure I found someone to cover my work and I had to remind him that’s his job, not mine.

Now what will be interesting is when I’m off next week for my kid’s spring break. I put my chit in back in January when I was the only supervisor on nightshift and had nobody above me. We got a new manager on nights a couple weeks after that. But he’s been so useless since showing up and I’ve been having to do his job to keep things running and all departments happy, even after having a conversation and then a conversation with his boss about issues. Seriously considering blocking his number when I get off Friday night and unblocking it the next Sunday. Sink or swim motherfucker
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By The_Like_Button:
I’ve only denied one this year. Warehouse kid is only 3 months into the job and requested Spring Gobbler opening week off. Sorry bud, hunting season is a seniority thing around here and the warehouse tech that’s been with us for 5 years requested it off Jan 1st. He tried the millennial, well it was more of a courtesy to let you know I won’t be here line than really asking. Told him we’d give him the courtesy of emptying his locker for him if he doesnt show up.

I think sometimes the millennials who work under me think I’m one of them since I’m only pushing 40 and they get too comfortable. I was raised by the old school workaholics, I was trained by “company men” and the owner and her father that I worked for when he was alive have been very good to me. Kid is about to fuck around and find out, but I wish him well in his future endeavors.
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Im the approved for a dozen or so. I never have denied PTO. It’s my job to figure out how to keep things moving in your absence.

That said, I may not even use all my PTO. I take the family in a long vacation ofn8 days in the summer, my wife and I travel another week. What the hell is there to do with the other 2 or 3 weeks without getting bored
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't imagine denying PTO. I would honestly forego my own before I did that to my team.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:10:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emeoba69] [#6]

You seem mad. Name calling, threats, that chip on your shoulder. I’m sure you’re a pleasure to work with.

I’ll make sure to let my guys know how terrible I am and that they should all go look for better employment with our competitors. They can go from 4 weeks PTO plus 2 Weeks Sick to 3 Weeks total PTO and Sick, from full health vision, dental, and life to 60% coverage on a shitty HMO plan and full out of pocket on everything else, oh and having to work for big corporate companies with DEI and all sorts of other woke initiatives. Not to mention we pay $3 an hour on average more than our competitors because we don’t have public stock holders or boards to answer to.

It’s a free market, if someone wants to go chase new opportunities, they are more than welcome.
View Quote

LoL you are quite a piece of work. Call names of people in the same cohort your in then rationalize and waffle when called on your internet tough guy attitude. Bring on the robots. Not even the Mexicans stick around in the dead end warehouse gigs at my work and we had to start beating local bennies to keep them around for 3-6 months tops. Im sure that kid will be devastated if he loses the opportunity you gave him.

I had a manager that was a boomer with a boomer mentality. "We don't take breaks and don't I don't approve PTO during season! We're in this as a team for the company!" By law we had to have a 30 minute break for every 8 hour shift but they also give us 2 15 minute breaks that are staggered for coverage. She couldn't cancel your 15 minute breaks but chastised the shit out of your for lack of hard work and devotion if you took them during season like she did (she was salary and would work through her hour lunch and worked endless after hours to "make sure everything didn't fall apart without her."). Temps would be guilted into skipping them and she had bad turn over in her department. She was true to her word about not OKing pto in season. I was switched out of her department after a couple of months. She put her retirement notice in for the next summer. In the spring she had to have an operation and medical bills piled up. She came back from her healthcare time off and requested to rescind her notice. Owners had a different plan and hired her replacement. If she wanted to stay she'd have to one, train him, and two, move to an entry level position under him and take a pay cut. Her slavish devotion to the company and hard workd did, not, mean, shit. It was sweet sweet poetic justice. Anyone with self respect, and transferable skills, would have walked that day and found a better job. She stuck around until her full social security kicked in then quit. She found some menial job and people who still talk with her say she's pulling the same shit at her new place. Boomers going to Boom.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I usually just say I will not be I'm from date- date.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bdover:

Yup.  If the company denies my pto I’m likely gone.
View Quote

Had a coworkers denied PTO a few years ago.  He was not happy, missed a scheduled western big game hunt.  Quit shortly thereafter.  The Company began a downward spiral that ended a month ago, with closure.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#9]
If I have to take off work, im taking off work.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve only denied one this year. Warehouse kid is only 3 months into the job and requested Spring Gobbler opening week off. Sorry bud, hunting season is a seniority thing around here and the warehouse tech that’s been with us for 5 years requested it off Jan 1st. He tried the millennial, well it was more of a courtesy to let you know I won’t be here line than really asking. Told him we’d give him the courtesy of emptying his locker for him if he doesnt show up.

I think sometimes the millennials who work under me think I’m one of them since I’m only pushing 40 and they get too comfortable. I was raised by the old school workaholics, I was trained by “company men” and the owner and her father that I worked for when he was alive have been very good to me. Kid is about to fuck around and find out, but I wish him well in his future endeavors.
View Quote

You are a millennial.  And if you're calling somebody a kid it probably means that they're Gen z.  I love the millennial hate around here, millennials are in their 30s in early '40s.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Whiskey1Alpha:
What shit tier positions do people have to ask for their PTO to be used?

Anywhere I've ever worked, unless there was a known big project deadline or something ahead of time, a PTO 'request' wasn't a request; it was me letting you know that I won't be here those days.

I can see this for PTO being used when you're doing shift work and you are requesting it a day ahead of time and there is no one to cover you or something, but fuck asking permission to use PTO.
View Quote

In my one time of having PTO rescinded, it's normally in places that are short-handed, overworked, and HR will make arbitrary rules
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#12]
At my employer you need 24 hours prior notice to take PTO and a maximum of two people off per shift. My current supervisor enjoys denying PTO.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:56:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#13]
Once in the past, I had a shitty boss deny my PTO.  After a huge percentage of time in the field and a recent 2 week trip, I needed a couple days to do Christmas shopping.  He denied my PTO.  He then took one of those days off himself.  I took my PTO request for 4 weeks into his boss and it was signed.  I then went off the grid.

The panicked messages on my phone machine (yeah, old timer) were just like watching Office Space (Lumberg).  At two weeks I requested a meeting with the Ops Director and HR and laid it out. My boss was the CEOs best friend.  They were idiots.  I got a 22% raise and shitty boss was shipped off to a remote site in Taiwan.  

Next boss was mainly a place holder and we managed ourselves, mostly like before, except for no cunts.  

Some people are not to be fucked with.  

Yesterday I sent notice that I am taking tomorrow off.  It is mostly a courtesy. I will still get 24 hours of on-call pay. I am getting the house painted.  I like to sit and watch people work, because it has been decades of me doing the work with people watching.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Never been denied at my employer. In fact, my boss actively looks at the PTO balances of everyone in the group and encourages us to take some time off when we are getting close to the limit. The only things they have ever really said about it is just to make sure that we have someone to cover for us, and I had a manager ask that we not scheduled any PTO during a certain time since we were getting ready to implement a new DR program for the company and it was going to be a mountain of work getting everything transferred over and getting everyone used to it. Outside of that, take the time off whenever you want.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Nah.

I’ve got so much PTO I can’t accrue anymore.  I roll over 250 leftover hours a year (the max they let us carry to a new year) and still end up cashing out like 100-150 hours I won’t end up using.

We get like a dozen standard holidays off each year - between that and working 4 10’s (every Friday off)… I just don’t even need to use my PTO.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By greyninja:
Be me.

Boomiest of Boomers.

Hate wife.

Work same Union job that I got out of High school.

Drive 1 of 55,000 Limited Edition Mustang Convertible in Raving Yellow with 6 Cylinders of THROBBING American horsepower.

Drive in to work at 6 am to rearrange paperwork from alphabetical order into historical order.

See fellow Boomer Robert "Bob" Hopkins and proceed to spent hour chatting about how Sports are so much worse than were in our day.  

8 am the first millenial FINALLY makes it in.  "Good to see you part timer!"  Bob laughs so hard he farts.  Millenial rolls his eyes like they all do.  

9 am and it's time to start the line up.  Line starts moving and spend a SOLID 45 MINUTES inspecting the parts as they go on by.  Not a single out of spec part makes it past me. Record is so good that the last out of spec part I found was in 1994.

945 and it's time for a 15 minute smoke break.  See millenial again and start playing ACE OF SPADES at full blast on my phone.  

"BETCHA WISH YOUR GENERATION HAD REAL MUSIC LIKE THIS"

Millenial again rolls his eyes and heads back in.

10:30 and its time to check my hours for this week. Check hours and sure enough it's Tuesday and I already have 12 hours from yesterday and 4 and half hours from today at $40 per hour.  Well on my way to another PRODUCTIVE 60 hour week.  God damn millenials can't be bothered to show up fro more than 40 hours.

11:00 and the lines going at full blast. A huge amount of parts are sitting there waiting to be inspected.

The fuckin millenial didn't shut down and now I have to shut down everything down and inspect the parts.

Berate the dumb mother fucker at full volume since he knows that the line should have been slowed down when the parts started to build up.

Responds "Ok boomer".

Not In My Fucking Shop.

Absolutely tear into him and call him an entitled little shit.  Tell him I've been on this line for 40 years and have never heard such disrespect in my life. Get Bob the supervisor who fires him on the spot.

Go to lunch at noon and pull lunch pail out with Ham Tomato and cheese sandwich.  Bob comes in and we talk about how lazy this generation is and how without us the would be completely helpless. Bob says he was so glad to be rid of that "renter" since he kept throwing the line off with all his bad timing and this was the last straw.

Ha. "Renter".  That's hilarious.  I'm going to call my son that when I get home.

2:30 hits and we have to clean up the mess the Renter made and it's going to take the rest of the day to get all the parts out.

3:15 hits and I pop into Bob's office for a drink and we reminisce about the time when we had to fight for our pensions and the union was able to guarantee 75% of salary after retirement.  He pulls out a bottle of whiskey and we share it celebrating our hard fought win.

Finally it's 530 and about time to wrap up the shop.  Leave Bob's office and the Renter fucked up do bad we won't be able to finish it today.

5:45 and some corporate suit walks in. Looks like another one of those renters.

Gathers all of us in the room and says they are closing the plant because it's not productive or profitable enough to keep open.

Doesn't matter because I've got a full pension and social security.

Leave and head to favorite restaurant Applebee's with horrible wife.

Call the waiter a Renter and laugh so hard I pee a little. Tip 5% and leave a note about how the harder you work the more you earn.

Put the top down in Convertible and drive home with Crazy Train going full blast.

Get home at 8 and hit the hay.

Another great day of the greatest Generation.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By PGAEMU:

Same here. I post all my crap far in advance, and as long as their time off does not interfere with mine they are welcome to have at it. Tardiness is the only thing I am a real stickler for.
View Quote

Heh. I was three minutes late to work the other day. The boss walked out the door and looked up at the sky. When I asked him why he said that me being late was an indicator of the Apocalypse. Good laugh, but I never get grief when I need time off.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I supervise about 20 truck drivers. I rarely deny a request for time off. When I do, its because we have too many people off already. Our guys schedule their vacation time at the start of the year based on seniority. Some schedule all their time, some dont. I encourage every one of them to take time off because I sure as hell am going to myself. Id rather deal with a shit ton of stops to get to than a burned out bitchy truck driver.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Freakinout:
I don't ask for time off, just let them know when I won't be working
View Quote

That's how it works for me as well. And if I want to come in early, or late, and leave early or late, no one cares as long as my stuff is taken care of.

Its not a time off request, I'm giving you the courtesy of letting you know I won't be there
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:55:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By zeekh:
My wife has hundreds of hours of PTO time. If you use it you get written up for abuse of PTO time. When they lay you off, you get paid for only 80 hrs. Plus they raid you PTO time to give you sick time. Then at the end of the year you lose accumulated sick and its replentished with PTO time. I keep telling her to band together with other workers and do a sick out. Or call the labor board. This can't be legal
View Quote

That’s not legal if it’s accrued PTO.

There’s two types of PTO; earned/accrued (based off the labor contract) and granted/holiday/sick time (based on company policy).

People may have paid days off based on when holidays fall, allotted number of sick days, discretionary days, etc.  These are Freebies that you are gifted, not owed.  Some places don’t do discretionary or sick days (you have to eat into your own vacation hours to cover these)… and that’s fine because they don’t have to.

The other kind of PTO is written into your labor contract.  It’s part of your compensation packet.   Usually called owed/allotted/earned/accrued/whatever.  Sometimes it’s a lump sum at the beginning of the year to use, Sometimes it’s doled out monthly, weekly, or even on a basis of PTO awarded per hour worked. And there may even be labor contract stipulations of how much can be rolled over, maximum unused cap, and use-it-or-lose-it conditions… that’s all in your employment agreement.  But unused earned PTO pursuant to the labor contract is OWED wages.

They are required to pay you for those hours if you are terminated - even for cause.  If they pay you less than you are owed, you need to call the Labor Board ASAP
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:09:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LoBrau] [#21]
Originally Posted By Millennial:

There’s two types of PTO; earned/accrued (based off the labor contract) and granted/holiday/sick time (based on company policy).

People may have paid days off based on when holidays fall, allotted number of sick days, discretionary days, etc.  These are Freebies that you are gifted, not owed.  Some places don’t do discretionary or sick days (you have to eat into your own vacation hours to cover these)… and that’s fine because they don’t have to.

The other kind of PTO is written into your labor contract.  It’s part of your compensation packet.   Usually called owed/allotted/earned/accrued/whatever.  Sometimes it’s a lump sum at the beginning of the year to use, Sometimes it’s doled out monthly, weekly, or even on a basis of PTO awarded per hour worked. And there may even be labor contract stipulations of how much can be rolled over, maximum unused cap, and use-it-or-lose-it conditions… that’s all in your employment agreement.  But unused earned PTO pursuant to the labor contract is OWED wages.

They are required to pay you for those hours if you are terminated - even for cause.  If they pay you less than you are owed, you need to call the Labor Board ASAP
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zeekh:
My wife has hundreds of hours of PTO time. If you use it you get written up for abuse of PTO time. When they lay you off, you get paid for only 80 hrs. Plus they raid you PTO time to give you sick time. Then at the end of the year you lose accumulated sick and its replentished with PTO time. I keep telling her to band together with other workers and do a sick out. Or call the labor board. This can't be legal

There's apparently a third kind, negotiated pto. At my last job I got them to add an extra week of pto to my benefits package when I was hired. When I left, they paid me for all the pto I had left EXCEPT for that 40 hrs. When I asked wtf I was told it was negotiated not earned and that I could go fuck myself. I learned a few lessons the hard way leaving that job.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#23]
If I’m putting in for time off, I’m already taking it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not asking for permission, I'm telling you I won't be in.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

no shit.  That is what I am saying, I responded to the post quoted first.

Thats why there is an approval process at most places.
View Quote
You could approach it from a less aggressive stance by negotiating versus "approval" point of view and have better relationships with your employees.

If you have good talent, that are happy  they will likely be willing to work with you if possible.

Once you get into the authoritative language model like you use, the nuance you're trying to obscure becomes the crux of the difference between your statement and the one you quoted.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

You are making huge leaps to think that everyone has formal employment contracts that go into that level of detail. I have never had such.

I'd also appreciate it if you could please cite the actual law requiring PTO to be paid out as if it were wages.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 7255:

Right? What companies pay for people to take sabbaticals?
View Quote
Mine does. I got one due to years of service (anybody over 7 yrs). Several thousands bonus and 30 days off.

Epic Information Systems (healthcare) does paid sabbaticals AND they pay for travel during the sabbatical for some employees. (Probably again, for years of service.)

It's not unheard of. Probably not common though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
Mine does. I got one due to years of service (anybody over 7 yrs). Several thousands bonus and 30 days off.

Epic Information Systems (healthcare) does paid sabbaticals AND they pay for travel during the sabbatical for some employees. (Probably again, for years of service.)

View Quote
Bet it pays for itself though by keeping people there for 7 years to get the sabbatical.

Gives people a reason to stay and builds in a good feeling from management that makes employees want to work there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#29]
We have pto black out dates, but otherwise I approve them.  I don’t think I’ve denied a pto day in 30 years.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Expecting new hires for entry level positions to have skin in the game and accrued PTO before requesting off the second most popular week in our company for vacation is reasonable.

I started at the bottom and worked my way up to where I am now, so cry me a river about mean bosses and PTO. I've never asked any of our employees to do something I haven't done over the past decade and I don't take opening weeks off for the exact reason that it's poor leadership for me to be off hunting while I tell the crew they need to be at work.

I'll be in the field working that week so 2 other techs can go chase gobblers down South and the Warehouse guy goes to SWVA.  

View Quote
All these things are something that should have been discussed during onboarding or even during the interview. "You are going to have lowest priority for PTO, btw there are 15 guys with 10 years that hunt. Be aware of that."

Something like that would head off all the butthurt from the youngsters and put it all in the "unjustified butthurt" pile.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#31]
We get denied vacation time regularly.  Oh well......either call in sick or skip what you were thinking of doing
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I very rarely deny a pto request. I have a business to run and can’t have everyone take off at the same time. Likewise if I don’t have a business I don’t have jobs to offer.  All I ask is people help me plan. We can even go down to a skeleton crew if needed and I always jump in to lend a hand to keep things going. The few times I have “denied” a request was because to many people were already off and it was a last minute request and we either work or we shutdown. They always understand. We do take into account emergencies and also offer paid sick time in addition to pto (vacation).  
AND I always plan my vacations around everyone else so my team always comes first
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#33]
They beg us to take our time off because they don’t want to pay us for it, if we don’t take it.  They just make someone else do our work.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Thankfully I've talked to my boss at my "new" job, and his response was "as long as I have a few days to plan for the coverage, go for it.".  I usually give pretty good notice when I'll be out, so there's that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By fla556guy:
Bet it pays for itself though by keeping people there for 7 years to get the sabbatical.

Gives people a reason to stay and builds in a good feeling from management that makes employees want to work there.
View Quote
It does. You only get one though.

Also, they started after a startup poached like 20 of the top performers in one week.  So there was a new edict about cross training and no "keyman" people anywhere. If you go on sabbatical they find out how to cope without you and the cross training happens over time.   They have the "360 training" stuff still going on so any individual is supposed to learn or have "walk through" everybody elses' production jobs. My job is more fun than most others so it sorta sucks for me but it works for the company I suppose.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been upfront with every employer.

My PTO "requests" are not a request. They are a notification that I won't be at work.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:03:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:
We get denied vacation time regularly.  Oh well......either call in sick or skip what you were thinking of doing
View Quote

Damn, the only times I saw vacation get denied was if the person had zero time left (though they let people go into the negative) and the weeks following 9/11.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 47hooker:

feel bad for the NPC  plebs that still have to work.  factor in  20 min travel time 5x a week, plus 50-60 bucks 5x a week, then taxes, all said n done 10-13 an hour take home after all.  sucks....
View Quote
That's me, just an NPC in your world, 45 minute commute 3 days a week, 12 our days. However, I did that to get that retirement I have coming up. Also, I have never had annual leave denied that I can remember. I HAVE been called back to work off AL, because several key supervisors got sick, and I was the only one even close to help. They paid well for that day.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Fucking kids these days lack a hard work ethic, you aren't fucking 24/7, quit your bitching about time off and get your ass back to work!

I'm fortunate that I have a flexible schedule to avoid using PTO these days, my only problem is I've accrued so much PTO, I'm going to have to get creative to avoid losing it as we're capped at 320 accrued PTO hours.

I'm a defense contractor with the military, but some of our young analysists do struggle to maintain a balance of PTO. Few can work without "needing a break" for man than a couple weeks...weekends are just not enough. And no, this job isn't stressful, hours are capped at 80 hours in a two-week pay period with flexible daily schedules and weekends off. On top of accruing up to 200 hours of PTO annually, we also get 10 paid Holidays (four of which are flexible).

I've cancelled planned PTO for operational needs, but it was voluntary on my end. I plan my leave, tell my government daddy when I'm leaving and tell my company when I'm burning PTO.  They don't get a vote Kids these days need to develop that respect...you earn it, sacrifice now, demonstrate solid performance and unquestionable work ethic, and manage yourself down the road.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#40]
self employment is a fun time....
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Extorris:
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:
View Quote
Damn, the only times I saw vacation get denied was if the person had zero time left (though they let people go into the negative) and the weeks following 9/11.
View Quote
This. Put in for a day and it gets denied? Sure, especially if you had no time on the job.
But deny vacation, no way.
Bag on public sector unions all you want, but our union was why that didn't happen.
Can't imagine how much and how often the city would fuck us if we didn't have a union.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:52:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#43]
Eh, dumbasses ask for conflicting times off all the time then wonder why they can’t all get approved.  It’s first come first served till it puts the work in crisis.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#44]

Damn you
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Entitled employees who have already escaped their responsibilities and do as little as possible while not getting the work done, and transferring workload to other employees in the process, then want to bail out whenever they deem fit.  That's why it's getting denied.  And yes, the attitude has always been there, but since the covid BS and WFH even bigger BS (in most industries, not claiming every industry here), the attitude has gotten drastically worse.

With that said, it's PTO and and is pretty shitty that the employer is denying it.  It was a perk for the job. If you don't want employees to have the perk, don't offer it as a bargaining chip when they sign on.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:

View Quote

Daaaaaaaaaaamn. I should look at new places, current employer does a grand in cash after ten years
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#47]
I'd have to be getting paid a lot more for me to be willing to give my employer veto power over my time off.

I run a mission critical software suite, and I'm the only person in the organization who knows how to do it. If they would miss me so much for a week that they'd have to deny a time off request, they'd really be up shits creek for the six weeks it would take them to fill my position after I didn't come back.

Luckily, they know this, and have never given me any shit about time off. (But I've always thrown my laptop in my bag on vacation anyway, in case something truly catastrophic happened while I was out of office. As long as they aren't fucking me, I'm happy to help if something goes tits up.)
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By DCPhoenix:
If I’m putting in for time off, I’m already taking it.
View Quote

Yep.  I'm not asking.  I'm informing them that I will not be there on those days.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bdover:

Yup.  If the company denies my pto I’m likely gone.
View Quote

This. If they deny our request, they better have a damn good reason. Grievances would be flying everywhere. .Gov employee.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:19:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slater2111] [#50]
lol at that. I can come in for pre shift overtime and then leave for my regular shift with annual paid time off. I’m also taking 6 months off for the birth of my son. 3 months paternal leave, and a combination of annual leave and comp time for the other 3.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top