BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a job with the government and this is a non issue.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#3]
No PTO at my job.  Definitely the biggest downside to being a contractor.  But I did only work three hours today and I get paid the same if it takes 3 or 12 hours.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#4]
It accrues so fast, if taken all at once, I’ll earn another week worth.
Lately no problems taking time as nice weather happens. May as well work on the crappy weather days.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:23:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperSixOne] [#5]
I worked for a bank that required us to use an entire week at a time. I submitted a splattering of requests, nothing approved hmm. Submitted 52 requests. One for every week of the year. 52 denials.
I ask my bosses boss what's up, (He did the approvals). Response: "We don't have anyone to cover your job while you're gone, so we can't approve your PTO."

Okay.. Resigned less than 2 months later. I still see the job ads for that position all the time. Fuck that place.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Phil_Billy:

How you keep people is beyond me. Most workers now aren't asking for the time off we are telling you we are taking it off.

Like I always tell my boss: You need me far more than I will ever need you.

If you really piss me off I'll take a 3 to 6 month TDY or Deployment with my Reserve Unit so you can think about your stupidity and make amends before I return.

Had a boss like you some years back, she turned a 4 million dollar a year store into a 1 million dollar a year store. Let's just say management above her was not impressed they fired her shortly after the numbers came in. I'd already moved on to another company because of her, you shit bags always get what you deserve in the end.
View Quote

You seem mad. Name calling, threats, that chip on your shoulder. I’m sure you’re a pleasure to work with.

I’ll make sure to let my guys know how terrible I am and that they should all go look for better employment with our competitors. They can go from 4 weeks PTO plus 2 Weeks Sick to 3 Weeks total PTO and Sick, from full health vision, dental, and life to 60% coverage on a shitty HMO plan and full out of pocket on everything else, oh and having to work for big corporate companies with DEI and all sorts of other woke initiatives. Not to mention we pay $3 an hour on average more than our competitors because we don’t have public stock holders or boards to answer to.

It’s a free market, if someone wants to go chase new opportunities, they are more than welcome.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#7]
This is why I don't like work from home. No bodies around to fill the gap. Many here who quit use their sick and vacation time under false pretenses before making it official. We don't get paid for unused PTO.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I send my request in and just don't show up those days.  Never been denied.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Austin4130:
Not here.

Handle your stuff, enjoy your time.
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By The_Like_Button:
Expecting new hires for entry level positions to have skin in the game
View Quote

To me new hire + entry level sounds like the textbook definition of "no skin in the game".  As in there are no real consequences regardless of the outcome.  As in if their vacation is not granted they will just go get hired at an equivalent job, for an equivalent salary, somewhere else in a short period of time, likely after Turkey season.  Sounds like he is going hunting.

Now the people who have been there for years, and with higher positions seems like they have quite a bit of "skin in the game".   As in if their vacation is denied they may have to think long and hard about getting a different job, including whether equivalent positions and salaries exist in the area. Sounds like they are getting a call the night before advising them due to lack of coverage they need to cancel their vacation.

Probably should considering not hiring people who like Turkey hunting if you can avoid it.  Especially for entry level positions.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Self employment sure has its benefits
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 1969GTX:
Get a job with the government and this is a non issue.
View Quote

Not all government jobs are like that.

I’m a retired air traffic controller and I retired the day I was eligible instead of waiting 6 years due to leave issues.

It became extremely difficult to get leave approved due to staffing issues. Almost everyone was ending the year with use or lose balances.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#13]
They are forcing us to take PTO, Xmas to new year’s, 4th of July and random PTO at the end of the fiscal quarter, couple of days of our choice.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Max429:
Actual PTO that's earned and use it or lose it, kiss my ass if you think you can tell me no.

PTO that's not not earned, just a freebie, then employer has the right to say no.
View Quote

....all pto is earned.

Use it or lose it PTO is fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I push my team to take their days off even when we are short handed and on short notice. However , I do see this at some places and most of it is based on being so short handed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By olivers_AR:
They are forcing us to take PTO, Xmas to new year’s, 4th of July and random PTO at the end of the fiscal quarter, couple of days of our choice.
View Quote

Forced to take PTO? What happens to people that don't?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#18]
My boss is based at the main site. I work at a satellite location with two other coworkers. Half the time, I just let my coworkers know that I won't be there, and the boss finds out when he approves the time card with the PTO hours filled in for the time that I wasn't there. I had to take about two and a half days off one week to deal with some new house stuff and take Mom to the surgery center (she's fine). I didn't put in for any PTO because I wanted to bank it. My boss texted me to ask if I wanted to take any PTO for the days that I wasn't there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Our oversight is so dogshit I don’t even request time off. I just put it on the time card as PTO and do what I want
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:16:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#20]
I’ve only denied one this year. Warehouse kid is only 3 months into the job and requested Spring Gobbler opening week off. Sorry bud, hunting season is a seniority thing around here and the warehouse tech that’s been with us for 5 years requested it off Jan 1st. He tried the millennial, well it was more of a courtesy to let you know I won’t be here line than really asking. Told him we’d give him the courtesy of emptying his locker for him if he doesnt show up.

I think sometimes the millennials who work under me think I’m one of them since I’m only pushing 40 and they get too comfortable. I was raised by the old school workaholics, I was trained by “company men” and the owner and her father that I worked for when he was alive have been very good to me. Kid is about to fuck around and find out, but I wish him well in his future endeavors.
View Quote

Driving home from spring Turkey opener

Didn’t tell my boss
But I’m not the new guy lol

ETA: in fairness, I worked 39/40 past days in a row. Took one rando Thursday off to go skiing
And I’ll still do more than 40hrs this week
My job isn’t exactly time sensitive
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#21]
i haven't used any PTO in eight years.

i'm good, bruh.

i'm good.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
i haven't used any PTO in eight years.

i'm good, bruh.

i'm good.
View Quote

This is fine
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 7255:

This is fine
View Quote
i have the "This is fine" dog funko pop at home to remind me as well as the patch on my work bag:

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I am using 3 PTO days this week. I worked today and yesterday, and I wanted to work tomorrow as well as Wednesday before my vacation to use less PTO days. Work was slow no cases. So f it use it enjoy. I am off the next 2 days before my trip.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#25]
i have the "This is fine" dog funko pop at home to remind me as well as the patch on my work bag:

https://imgs.search.brave.com/k0fDdioPCdD-Z52nKNwgL2x5wKxc3nQedwvex5oXqmw/rs:fit:500:0:0/g:ce/aHR0cHM6Ly9tLm1l/ZGlhLWFtYXpvbi5j/b20vaW1hZ2VzL0kv/NjF5eVNlaTlod0wu/anBn
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This is fine

https://imgs.search.brave.com/k0fDdioPCdD-Z52nKNwgL2x5wKxc3nQedwvex5oXqmw/rs:fit:500:0:0/g:ce/aHR0cHM6Ly9tLm1l/ZGlhLWFtYXpvbi5j/b20vaW1hZ2VzL0kv/NjF5eVNlaTlod0wu/anBn

I think you posted the pop in one of the many boomer threads
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By wjoutlaw:

My PTO request is a courtesy. It's just me giving my supervisor notice that I will not be there during those dates. They can deny it if they want, but I'll still be gone on those days.
View Quote

This!!! I give them plenty of time in advance. I am going regardless
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Unlimited FTO.

My only issue is I don’t take enough of it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
it was the stuffed dog, but yeah.

i want the stuffed dog of course.

everything is fine.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#29]

everything is fine.
https://topatoco.com/cdn/shop/products/kcg-tif-plush_720x720.jpg?v=1627495379

https://topatoco.com/cdn/shop/products/jpl_720x720.jpg?v=1627495379

View All Quotes

everything is fine.
https://topatoco.com/cdn/shop/products/kcg-tif-plush_720x720.jpg?v=1627495379

https://topatoco.com/cdn/shop/products/jpl_720x720.jpg?v=1627495379

Holy shit

That is fantastic desk decoration.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Holy shit

That is fantastic desk decoration.
View Quote
$40 on amazon, which is too rich for my blood:

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#31]
$40 on amazon, which is too rich for my blood:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41ctdg9uHvL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
View Quote

You need more bootstraps!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#32]

You need more bootstraps!
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Had an idiot supervisor ask me to cancel my day off so my trainee can go to a curling tournament 3 weeks after being hired. Well his mommy also worked there and was one of the ass kissers to the plant mgr. Niether one of us was there. Asked again a month later.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#34]
What's even better is when they do approve it and then leave you on without coverage.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Me: "I put in for pto first week in July"
Boss: "who's covering for you?"
Me: "did you notice the mirror in the bathroom?"
Boss: "you funny guy"

Bossman knows not to fuck with people's pto

Bad things happen to those who screw with pto
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By greyninja:
Be me.

Boomiest of Boomers.

Hate wife.

Work same Union job that I got out of High school.

Drive 1 of 55,000 Limited Edition Mustang Convertible in Raving Yellow with 6 Cylinders of THROBBING American horsepower.

Drive in to work at 6 am to rearrange paperwork from alphabetical order into historical order.

See fellow Boomer Robert "Bob" Hopkins and proceed to spent hour chatting about how Sports are so much worse than were in our day.  

8 am the first millenial FINALLY makes it in.  "Good to see you part timer!"  Bob laughs so hard he farts.  Millenial rolls his eyes like they all do.  

9 am and it's time to start the line up.  Line starts moving and spend a SOLID 45 MINUTES inspecting the parts as they go on by.  Not a single out of spec part makes it past me. Record is so good that the last out of spec part I found was in 1994.

945 and it's time for a 15 minute smoke break.  See millenial again and start playing ACE OF SPADES at full blast on my phone.  

"BETCHA WISH YOUR GENERATION HAD REAL MUSIC LIKE THIS"

Millenial again rolls his eyes and heads back in.

10:30 and its time to check my hours for this week. Check hours and sure enough it's Tuesday and I already have 12 hours from yesterday and 4 and half hours from today at $40 per hour.  Well on my way to another PRODUCTIVE 60 hour week.  God damn millenials can't be bothered to show up fro more than 40 hours.

11:00 and the lines going at full blast. A huge amount of parts are sitting there waiting to be inspected.

The fuckin millenial didn't shut down and now I have to shut down everything down and inspect the parts.

Berate the dumb mother fucker at full volume since he knows that the line should have been slowed down when the parts started to build up.

Responds "Ok boomer".

Not In My Fucking Shop.

Absolutely tear into him and call him an entitled little shit.  Tell him I've been on this line for 40 years and have never heard such disrespect in my life. Get Bob the supervisor who fires him on the spot.

Go to lunch at noon and pull lunch pail out with Ham Tomato and cheese sandwich.  Bob comes in and we talk about how lazy this generation is and how without us the would be completely helpless. Bob says he was so glad to be rid of that "renter" since he kept throwing the line off with all his bad timing and this was the last straw.

Ha. "Renter".  That's hilarious.  I'm going to call my son that when I get home.

2:30 hits and we have to clean up the mess the Renter made and it's going to take the rest of the day to get all the parts out.

3:15 hits and I pop into Bob's office for a drink and we reminisce about the time when we had to fight for our pensions and the union was able to guarantee 75% of salary after retirement.  He pulls out a bottle of whiskey and we share it celebrating our hard fought win.

Finally it's 530 and about time to wrap up the shop.  Leave Bob's office and the Renter fucked up do bad we won't be able to finish it today.

5:45 and some corporate suit walks in. Looks like another one of those renters.

Gathers all of us in the room and says they are closing the plant because it's not productive or profitable enough to keep open.

Doesn't matter because I've got a full pension and social security.

Leave and head to favorite restaurant Applebee's with horrible wife.

Call the waiter a Renter and laugh so hard I pee a little. Tip 5% and leave a note about how the harder you work the more you earn.

Put the top down in Convertible and drive home with Crazy Train going full blast.

Get home at 8 and hit the hay.

Another great day of the greatest Generation.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

We have a mandatory 1-week, paid shutdown every fall.  We get 2 other weeks of PTO and can buy a third at 1.5x our hourly rate which sucks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Another one that popped into my head....years ago I was going to attend wedding anniversary and
a few days before I got to hit the road I was told it was canceled.  It was a road trip so at least
no airline tickets were lost.

About 2 days after it the party starts, I get told you are back on vacation - and I told the boss - hell no,
it started yesterday with the guests and it is a 2 solid day drive.   The guy just could not understand why
I would not go on vacation for my parents anniversary with a bunch of folks out of town/out of state
would be over.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Taking 4 hours of pto Thursday to watch Dune 2 with the missus.

Took me about 2 weeks to decide to calculate those 4 hours
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Not in my company. My employees want time off they request it and get it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I told my boss point blank the other day that I'm not asking for time off, I'm letting him know when I won't be there.
Now, I do understand there is some times during the year when I really need to be there and i will schedule accordingly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't request time off, I inform them when I won't be at work.
I also give at least 30 days notice most of the time.

There has never been one single bit of conflict.

I'm not sure I'd be ok with someone telling me I couldn't have time off.  🤔
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#43]
38 paid days off a year. They always approve them for when I want them.  :-)
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#44]
These are likely by deadbeats and slackers who underperform and do t really have the option to dump their employer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Rickesis:

buy a third at 1.5x our hourly rate which sucks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rickesis:

buy a third at 1.5x our hourly rate which sucks.

Fuck every bit of that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I’ve only denied one this year. Warehouse kid is only 3 months into the job and requested Spring Gobbler opening week off. Sorry bud, hunting season is a seniority thing around here and the warehouse tech that’s been with us for 5 years requested it off Jan 1st. He tried the millennial, well it was more of a courtesy to let you know I won’t be here line than really asking. Told him we’d give him the courtesy of emptying his locker for him if he doesnt show up.

I think sometimes the millennials who work under me think I’m one of them since I’m only pushing 40 and they get too comfortable. I was raised by the old school workaholics, I was trained by “company men” and the owner and her father that I worked for when he was alive have been very good to me. Kid is about to fuck around and find out, but I wish him well in his future endeavors.
View Quote

You'd be firing me. My time is more important than your company.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#47]
What shit tier positions do people have to ask for their PTO to be used?

Anywhere I've ever worked, unless there was a known big project deadline or something ahead of time, a PTO 'request' wasn't a request; it was me letting you know that I won't be here those days.

I can see this for PTO being used when you're doing shift work and you are requesting it a day ahead of time and there is no one to cover you or something, but fuck asking permission to use PTO.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#48]
One other person in my department. I’m the lead, but he has more seniority. So he gets 3 weeks to my 2 weeks. We have to take turns being off longer periods around Christmas or the summer holidays. Either of scheduling time off and saying fuck you to the other wouldn’t work.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#49]
No issues here, our HR team actually get grumpy when there is too much accrued leave on the books as its listed on the bad side of the balance sheet.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#50]
My previous employer decided that since so many people were taking off mon-fri we would start working every Saturday too. I said that every Saturday they scheduled me I would take off the preceding Friday. They said that wasn't possible since they didn't have anyone else qualified. I said in that case, schedule all my remaining vacation time starting next week. I filed my retirement papers and went to work for a competitor.

If it's taking you months to fill job vacancies, take that as a clue that the people you do have in those positions might be in demand elsewhere.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top