Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#1]
At my last job pretty much everyone became "sick leave abusers" because annual leave was rarely approved because of minimum staffing requirements.  Take my last unit: theoretical table of organization 1 Lt., 2 squad Sgts. with 6 detectives under each, 1 admin Sgt. with 2 detectives, 2 officers, 3 technicians.  Minimum staffing requirement 2/3rds.  Actual organization:  2 detectives, same minimum staffing requirement.  Pretty hard to maintain 2/3rds of 2 people, so the Sgt. we reported to broke the rules and made it 1/2, but even that was an issue if my partner was on military leave.

Of course, I've been on PTO since January 13th now, so not my problem any longer.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting.
I'm about to request 3 days next month.
The only time I've had problems requesting off time was during the November/December holiday seasons.  Many people ask for those dates.  Scheduling can be Fun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 7255:
Link

If your boss has denied your PTO request, you are not alone. It's harder than ever to get time off work, data shows.

There’s always been a gap between how much vacation employees ask for and how much they get. But lately, that gap has been getting wider.

Employee PTO requests have increased 11% on average annually since 2019, but approvals have only increased 9%,  according to a new report from BambooHR, a cloud-based HR software company.

In the first two months of this year, PTO requests jumped 9% year-over-year. Approvals rose by just 3%.
View Quote
View Quote

I put in for some time off in April about 2 weeks ago. Still haven't heard anything. They just hired 2 new night reliefs, so it ain't like they don't have someone to fill in for me. Guess we'll see.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Austin4130:
Not here.

Handle your stuff, enjoy your time.
View Quote

This.  If any of my emps say they need a day, a week, whatever, approved instantly.  It's their time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I don’t think I’ve ever asked for time off. I do however inform them when I won’t be at work.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bdover:

Yup.  If the company denies my pto I’m likely gone.
View Quote

Same here. When I submit time off requests, I'm generally not really asking. I'm just notifying them that I won't be there that day.

I do use common sense and don't plan time off during our busy times.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#7]
"I'm afraid you misunderstood. I wasn't asking permission, I was advising you off my upcoming absence"
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#8]
My company has a "unlimited PTO" policy take as much as you want. But the caveat is if your sales number aren't where they should be, then your manager can deny you PTO. One of our sales reps hit her December goal in November and decided to take all of December off. Nothing the company could say since she hit her number.

It actually works great for the company. They found that guys who had 4,5,6 weeks + of PTO were not taking all their 6 weeks because it was no longer tracked and no more use it or lose it.

I make sure i take at least 5 weeks during the year.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#9]
It’s not a request off. It’s a notification I won’t be there. They can choose how it proceeds, but if they don’t want me home for a few days they’re going to be really upset when I’m gone forever.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Not here.

View Quote

This, even if I had to cover for them myself.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#11]
PTO is part of the compensation package, same as wages and medical insurance. If I had a boss trying to tell me I can only use 3 of the 5 weeks I earn it wouldn’t go over very well.

Actually had a boss try that once. I put in for my regular 2 weeks for hunting season. He told me “I can’t approve it right now. I’ll let you know the week before.”

I told him “I’m letting you know when I will be gone.  If I come back and need to clean out my locker, that’s fine with me.”
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I put it on the calendar, I go.

5 weeks planned this year, plus days here and there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By greyninja:
Be me.

Boomiest of Boomers.

Hate wife.

Work same Union job that I got out of High school.

Drive 1 of 55,000 Limited Edition Mustang Convertible in Raving Yellow with 6 Cylinders of THROBBING American horsepower…..
View Quote

Fuck yeah. Our country was built by men like this
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't work I don't get paid pretty simple to understand
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#15]
PTO cannot be denied where I work.

Only its rationed to 40 hours total for the whole year. Use it wisely.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

I did that too.  I may have had the letter prepared or I did it the next day.
View Quote

Never had a letter of resignation. I did actually have a manager “fire” me though. I turned in PTO request, and he denied it. I told him the only reason it was a request was because that’s what the official form said. He could consider it a PTO notification. I then proceeded to take the time off anyways. When I came back the next week he had HR present with my notice of termination. That also happened to be the day he found out I was a whole lot less fireable than he originally believed his big boss found out what was going on, and he slapped managers dick in the dirt over that ordeal. I was the highest performing field technician at the time by a wide margin, and was the only one capable of troubleshooting some of our more serious issues.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#17]
It was like that where I work.

I'm to the point that it is no longer a time off request but a "notification that I won't be there during this time".
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Our PTO is never denied.  We are entrusted to make sure that someone can cover what needs to be done.

I am the only employee in the US with my specific responsibilities, so that means I make myself available for questions and to handle specific unusual occurrences.  I am 100% ok with that, because I have a vested interest in the company and our people, I enjoy my work, and I enjoy helping our staff.  If I get a phone call during my off time, I help them understand the correct path forward, and usually catch up on how their fiance or kids or grandkids are doing or how their hunting trip went too.

If you know it inside and out, and enjoy it, is it really "work"?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I feel like this should be relegated to a 5th grader problem, not a work place problem.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TheKill:
Our PTO is never denied.  We are entrusted to make sure that someone can cover what needs to be done.

I am the only employee in the US with my specific responsibilities, so that means I make myself available for questions and to handle specific unusual occurrences.  I am 100% ok with that, because I have a vested interest in the company and our people, I enjoy my work, and I enjoy helping our staff.  If I get a phone call during my off time, I help them understand the correct path forward, and usually catch up on how their fiance or kids or grandkids are doing or how their hunting trip went too.

If you know it inside and out, and enjoy it, is it really "work"?
View Quote

I would say your case is the definition of unique

When I'm asked how I like my work, my answer is always the same, "It pays the bills."
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
I work when I'm supposed to.
But sometimes life happens. Then I tell my boss I'll be missing. End of story.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By deanwormer:

Screw FTO or “unlimited PTO”. I want that shit tracked. And the ability to accrue so I can take a payout when I retire / quit / get laid off.  I’d never trust a company to completely honor that situation.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By deanwormer:
Originally Posted By R0N:
FTO has become a thing in industry, and with it the need to get approval further out for all but emergent needs.

Screw FTO or “unlimited PTO”. I want that shit tracked. And the ability to accrue so I can take a payout when I retire / quit / get laid off.  I’d never trust a company to completely honor that situation.  

True enough. Unlimited PTO is how to get people to take very little PTO. A person who previously earned 4-5 weeks per year of PTO and who was switched to unlimited PTO will likely not take 4-5 weeks off out of feelings of guilt. And as you noted, there is no accrued expense to a company upon termination. Unlimited PTO sounds generous until these things are factored in.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#23]
The idea of asking The Man for permission to leave the company store is pretty old. I am surprised it is still enforced and that many accept it.

Sixteen Tons - Tennessee Ernie Ford

Some people say a man is made outta mud
A poor man's made outta muscle and blood
Muscle and blood and skin and bones
A mind that's a-weak and a back that's strong

You load sixteen tons, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store

I was born one mornin' when the sun didn't shine
I picked up my shovel and I walked to the mine
I loaded sixteen tons of number nine coal
And the straw boss said "Well, a-bless my soul"

I was born one mornin', it was drizzlin' rain
Fightin' and trouble are my middle name
I was raised in the canebrake by an ol' mama lion
Cain't no-a high-toned woman make me walk the line

If you see me comin', better step aside
A lotta men didn't, a lotta men died
One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't a-get you
Then the left one will

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Ours are just notifications. We are encouraged to use up our allotted time throughout the year and some of us actually earn more via various incentives. When we are on assignment we earn an extra 8 hours if we work 7 consecutive days which is pretty frequently. Most of the time I fly home with an extra 24 hrs PTO banked. Also if you are on assignment for 3 weeks straight (max allowed before a forced rotation) then you have to take 3 days off automatically. Those days are not drawn from your bank just paid R&R

Last year I took almost 400 hours of paid leave
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Self employed so it's up to me. Anywhere I've worked or contracted to the last 35 years there is no PTO other than a vacation. Everyone is just do what needs to be done and take off if needed. Of course average number of years worked there is around 30 years. 10 years ago I worked for a company I normally do a lot of contract for. I got sick and took two months off, no questions asked and still got paid.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By The_Like_Button:
I’ve only denied one this year. Warehouse kid is only 3 months into the job and requested Spring Gobbler opening week off. Sorry bud, hunting season is a seniority thing around here and the warehouse tech that’s been with us for 5 years requested it off Jan 1st. He tried the millennial, well it was more of a courtesy to let you know I won’t be here line than really asking. Told him we’d give him the courtesy of emptying his locker for him if he doesnt show up.

I think sometimes the millennials who work under me think I’m one of them since I’m only pushing 40 and they get too comfortable. I was raised by the old school workaholics, I was trained by “company men” and the owner and her father that I worked for when he was alive have been very good to me. Kid is about to fuck around and find out, but I wish him well in his future endeavors.
View Quote

I hope he quit and shoots a turkey.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Lexington:

True enough. Unlimited PTO is how to get people to take very little PTO. A person who previously earned 4-5 weeks per year of PTO and who was switched to unlimited PTO will likely not take 4-5 weeks off out of feelings of guilt. And as you noted, there is no accrued expense to a company upon termination. Unlimited PTO sounds generous until these things are factored in.
View Quote

Yeah.... I take more than I ever did before.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MarkNH:
I know a company where after 10 years you get an 8 week paid sabbatical and are strongly encouraged to take it.
View Quote

My wife gets 3 months every 5 years, starting from date of hire or from the return from last sabbatical.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By mnd:

My wife gets 3 months every 5 years, starting from date of hire or from the return from last sabbatical.
View All Quotes
I know a company where after 10 years you get an 8 week paid sabbatical and are strongly encouraged to take it.

Name of companies?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Lol. I don't even check to see if anything gets approved. I put it on the calendar, and then when that day rolls around I don't show up. Pretty straightforward.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:
Im not being edgy.  If you have a toxic work environment then it happens, best to exit if possible.  Also, if you have a job that not a lot of people can do, then it happens.  

If you have a job that anyone can fill in with a short notice, then PTO requests are easy to approve.

My time off is done 12-18 months in advance because of this.  There are some clauses for emergencies, I NEVER want to use those clauses.
View Quote

Someone is blowing smoke up your butt.

If you have a job that few can do and are that hard to replace they will bend over backwards to accommodate you because losing you means things will come to a halt and then they still have to replace you and or attempt to train someone to do what you were doing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By GGF:
I remember those days.

Retire ASAP and never look back.
( I retired from from full time when I was 59 & 1/2.)

The older you get the more you realize your not working, you're selling time of your life.
View Quote

I'm sure you're right, too bad I need to have money.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:39:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BangStick1] [#33]
My company had a front load plan for PTO. This year they changed to an accrual where we only get 12 hrs per month earned and we can only take 40hrs of paid time off at one time.  Not to mention that if 2 others have PTO scheduled you are out of luck.

Fucking sucks.

Meanwhile, they cannot find anyone who wants to work there.  My boss interviewed and hired 20 people to come to our shift.  Most didn't even show for orientation.  Most that did show up didn't last past the first week.  Out of the three that made it to our shift, 2 have already quit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:

Name of companies?
View All Quotes

Name of companies?

Intel Corp provides a 4-week sabbatical after 4 years of service, and 8 weeks of sabbatical if you skip the 4-year mark and take it at 7 years of service.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

That would awesome.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Name of companies?
View All Quotes

Name of companies?

Right? What companies pay for people to take sabbaticals?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I just request advanced notice unless an emergency.  No big deal.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By wjoutlaw:

My PTO request is a courtesy. It's just me giving my supervisor notice that I will not be there during those dates. They can deny it if they want, but I'll still be gone on those days.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:30:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoStockBikes] [#39]
Originally Posted By 7255:
Link

If your boss has denied your PTO request, you are not alone. It's harder than ever to get time off work, data shows.

There’s always been a gap between how much vacation employees ask for and how much they get. But lately, that gap has been getting wider.

Employee PTO requests have increased 11% on average annually since 2019, but approvals have only increased 9%,  according to a new report from BambooHR, a cloud-based HR software company.

In the first two months of this year, PTO requests jumped 9% year-over-year. Approvals rose by just 3%.
View Quote
View Quote

Bullshit story, need more info. Link didn’t work, so I couldn’t read all the details provided, but let’s just look at the information provided. 9% vs 11% is only 2%.

“Hey boss, I want 2 weeks off.” 1 request, 80 hours.
“Hey boss, I want to take a half day this Friday. And next Friday. And…” 20 requests same 80 hours available. One is a nope for some critical reason, need to ask for a different day instead.. Boom, 5% differential. Asks for a 21st and gets denied for not enough time? Boom. Another 5%.

I hate news stories. Don’t give us statistics unless you’re going to give us the data for the statistics.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#40]
We are pretty loose at my work, a couple days notice is fine, and as a courtesy I remind my boss the day before because he has a ton on his plate.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#41]
It's only hard to get Vacation days off towards the end of the year, that's because everyone else plans poorly. We have minimin staffing and can only have 3 off any given day or we need to hire OT. I'm on a 17 day vacation right now and will take another 17 days in June with a few scattered throughout the rest of the year.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:59:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Phil_Billy] [#42]
I’ve only denied one this year. Warehouse kid is only 3 months into the job and requested Spring Gobbler opening week off. Sorry bud, hunting season is a seniority thing around here and the warehouse tech that’s been with us for 5 years requested it off Jan 1st. He tried the millennial, well it was more of a courtesy to let you know I won’t be here line than really asking. Told him we’d give him the courtesy of emptying his locker for him if he doesnt show up.

I think sometimes the millennials who work under me think I’m one of them since I’m only pushing 40 and they get too comfortable. I was raised by the old school workaholics, I was trained by “company men” and the owner and her father that I worked for when he was alive have been very good to me. Kid is about to fuck around and find out, but I wish him well in his future endeavors.
View Quote

How you keep people is beyond me. Most workers now aren't asking for the time off we are telling you we are taking it off.

Like I always tell my boss: You need me far more than I will ever need you.

If you really piss me off I'll take a 3 to 6 month TDY or Deployment with my Reserve Unit so you can think about your stupidity and make amends before I return.

Had a boss like you some years back, she turned a 4 million dollar a year store into a 1 million dollar a year store. Let's just say management above her was not impressed they fired her shortly after the numbers came in. I'd already moved on to another company because of her, you shit bags always get what you deserve in the end.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Not here.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#44]
I've only denied one this year. Warehouse kid is only 3 months into the job and requested Spring Gobbler opening week off. Sorry bud, hunting season is a seniority thing around here and the warehouse tech that's been with us for 5 years requested it off Jan 1st. He tried the millennial, well it was more of a courtesy to let you know I won't be here line than really asking. Told him we'd give him the courtesy of emptying his locker for him if he doesnt show up.

I think sometimes the millennials who work under me think I'm one of them since I'm only pushing 40 and they get too comfortable. I was raised by the old school workaholics, I was trained by "company men" and the owner and her father that I worked for when he was alive have been very good to me. Kid is about to fuck around and find out, but I wish him well in his future endeavors.
View Quote
So as long as the older guy is there the younger one doesn't ever get to hunt in spring season? Lmfao id quit that piece of shit job so fast. He gives zero fucks about your 15 dollar an hour warehouse job. I'd go hunting and then go work at Applebees.  The problem with managers is most of them are too stupid to manage.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I've never had a PTO request denied.

Quite the contrary. Usually they're encouraging me to go away.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Going_Commando:

You do realize you are a millennial, right?
View Quote

I do and I hate my generation. I blame our parents and our generation for the downfall of American greatness.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I can't Imagine having to ask for time off.

I just put it on the calendar then don't show up.  I just have to make sure 1 of 2 other people will be there and if they aren't on the calendar already I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#48]
[Laughs in self-employment]
[Cries in self-employment]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:50:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#49]
I rarely ask for time off, but I’ve been denied several times. It’s no longer a request, it’s me informing you that I won’t be there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Lexington:

That power is tasty, isn't it?
View Quote

Expecting new hires for entry level positions to have skin in the game and accrued PTO before requesting off the second most popular week in our company for vacation is reasonable.

I started at the bottom and worked my way up to where I am now, so cry me a river about mean bosses and PTO. I’ve never asked any of our employees to do something I haven’t done over the past decade and I don’t take opening weeks off for the exact reason that it’s poor leadership for me to be off hunting while I tell the crew they need to be at work.

I’ll be in the field working that week so 2 other techs can go chase gobblers down South and the Warehouse guy goes to SWVA.  

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top