BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By The_Like_Button:
I’ve only denied one this year. Warehouse kid is only 3 months into the job and requested Spring Gobbler opening week off. Sorry bud, hunting season is a seniority thing around here and the warehouse tech that’s been with us for 5 years requested it off Jan 1st. He tried the millennial, well it was more of a courtesy to let you know I won’t be here line than really asking. Told him we’d give him the courtesy of emptying his locker for him if he doesnt show up.

I think sometimes the millennials who work under me think I’m one of them since I’m only pushing 40 and they get too comfortable. I was raised by the old school workaholics, I was trained by “company men” and the owner and her father that I worked for when he was alive have been very good to me. Kid is about to fuck around and find out, but I wish him well in his future endeavors.
View Quote

if you are pushing 40 (as i am)  you are a millennial as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Let's also think about this.  Leadership didn't replace the only guy that could cover me on PTO.  That leaves me on call 24/7.  If what you are inferring is true, I wouldn't be allowed to take PTO, ever.  

Last time on PTO it was clear that I would not be on call for the extended weekend.  Sometimes I allow it, sometimes it is not possible.  There was a major fire, like with flames kind of fire, and over a million in damages kind of fire....and a text made its way to me.  It affected me for the rest of the time off.  I now have two phones and it will be even more clear, when I am on PTO, there will be no calls or texts.  Nobody I work with will have my personal cell number.

If you need three people for mandatory coverage, you best hire three, or reap it.
View Quote

Don’t be foolish in your examples.  Please, dont be that guy.  

With your shitty example, you also have the employer by the balls.  You are able to negotiate ANYTHING you want if you are the only one who can do that job.  If you choose not to use that card, thats a choice.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MarkNH:
The title says it's harder to get PTO but the article says PTO approvals have increased 9% every year so more PTO is getting approved....
View Quote
Indeed, a semi-true article.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#4]
FTO has become a thing in industry, and with it the need to get approval further out for all but emergent needs.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I don’t deny PTO because I am an effective manager and plan my team time and programs so that we’re not so razor-thin that the absence of one person for two weeks will break my programs.

We have unlimited PTO and this policy has worked for me.

It requires up front planning, cross-training, and an ability to be agile, but I get paid to be great at those things.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Quintin:
I guess I'm fortunate that my boss encourages me to get away from work and take my time. And I'll never deny any of my guys PTO.
View Quote

We just deny the guys that want unpaid vacation. One told me “you can’t tell me how much time I take off, only how much I get paid for”.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By laxman09:

I did that until I banked enough to be in use or lose starting Jan 1 every year. I take every hour I earn and all it takes is a text if I dont know ahead of time.
View Quote

I've heard of places banking PTO. Where I'm at doesn't do that, they don't want to have to pay anyone out when they leave.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I have never had a boss deny a PTO request.  That is weird.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#9]
It's part of my compensation package for doing the job. Denying it is akin to cutting my salary.

A hard no to both.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I only denied PTO once.  4th of July was on a Thursday and everyone wanted the 5th off.  Based it on seniority and allowed the 2 people that I needed to be available to work from home.  Everyone was happy.

I could see the denial requests being more common among hourly employees working shift work. Most exempt employees probably aren't seeing those issues.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By OscarD:
Yup.

Last company that denied my request got a letter of resignation as a reply.
View Quote

I did that too.  I may have had the letter prepared or I did it the next day.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I've only denied one this year. Warehouse kid is only 3 months into the job and requested Spring Gobbler opening week off. Sorry bud, hunting season is a seniority thing around here and the warehouse tech that's been with us for 5 years requested it off Jan 1st. He tried the millennial, well it was more of a courtesy to let you know I won't be here line than really asking. Told him we'd give him the courtesy of emptying his locker for him if he doesnt show up.

I think sometimes the millennials who work under me think I'm one of them since I'm only pushing 40 and they get too comfortable. I was raised by the old school workaholics, I was trained by "company men" and the owner and her father that I worked for when he was alive have been very good to me. Kid is about to fuck around and find out, but I wish him well in his future endeavors.
View Quote

You do realize you are a millennial, right?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Self employed.

What is paid time off!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#14]
My PTO is approved by management without question and without fail.

The harder part is in arranging coverage for certain responsibilities which is the only box I need to check other than adding the PTO days to a calendar.

I've never had it such that I couldn't get coverage but there were times where it was extremely difficult.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#15]
We do occasionally deny it, but we have a company policy on it. First come first serve to who gets time off, the guys have learned if its important to ask well in advance. They will ask for for the most part 4-6 months in advance for summer vacations or weddings and such. It does not mean you have to ask that far in advance but it does make sure you get it off.

The issue is the in the spring and fall when the weather is going to be perfect for a long weekend at the beach we get 50% of the guys asking for friday or monday ( or both ) off on the tuesday before it. We cant always say ok to that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#16]
My current company is very hard-nosed. They really DGAF about any of us, everyone knows it, and they make only very halfhearted and unconvincing attempts to show that they even care whether we live or die. LOL

That's fine. It's a new century and I accept that this is the way business is done nowadays. I've only got 3 1/2 years to go before I pull my ripcord.

One thing I can't fault them on, however, is the way leave is handled. For both accrued annual vacation time and for our set amount of personal days, all requests are automatically and immediately approved when you submit through the company's website. The managers have no say in it.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I've only been denied PTO once at my current company when we had a big project pop up. One company I worked at forced people to schedule time off when they accumulated over 5 days off.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#18]
The other side of this are the employees who run out of PTO by March

Then if you don't give more PTO you're a racist misogynist and HR gets involved.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I approve 100% of PTO requests, I use 100% of my yearly PTO snd I encourage all of my reports to use 100% of theirs.

My advice to anyone who works at a place where their leave is denied or they lose leave because they can’t take it is to fine a new job immediately.  That’s a high red flag of a shitty organization.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#20]
The only job I had with PTO was the military.

I lost so many days every year.  A lot were rolled over during GWOT, but often we "took leave" but ended up just shutting the door to our office or coming in wearing civies so we could tell people we were just pucking something up or checking email.  

I think 2020 I lost over 20 days.  Brigade commander got a list of everyone who lost more than a few days and we all got an email to report to the auditorium on Friday.

We proceeded to get asses reamed about managing our time and how it's healthy for the family and the army.  90% of the audience were officers.  85% were captain and above.

He had fully drank the kool-aid.  Fuck those hypocrits.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I work when I'm supposed to.
But sometimes life happens. Then I tell my boss I'll be missing. End of story.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#22]
It’s not a request it’s a notification. Prepare the others.

We have “flex” PTO. I seem to take less of it than when we had “3 weeks PTO”.

It’s hard to take time off in construction but I manage to take PTO when it’s slow/ easy to cover and send a list of shit to keep and eye on when I’m gone so it’s not a trial by fire situation.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#23]
That is the reason I quit the only actual punch a time clock job I ever had. We had agreed on time off weeks in advance but when the time came he said I need you to work. So I gave me two weeks and worked that weekend. Looking back he probably did me a favor.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:28:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lexington] [#24]
PTO "request"? Pshaw!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I’ve only denied one this year. Warehouse kid is only 3 months into the job and requested Spring Gobbler opening week off. Sorry bud, hunting season is a seniority thing around here and the warehouse tech that’s been with us for 5 years requested it off Jan 1st. He tried the millennial, well it was more of a courtesy to let you know I won’t be here line than really asking. Told him we’d give him the courtesy of emptying his locker for him if he doesnt show up.

I think sometimes the millennials who work under me think I’m one of them since I’m only pushing 40 and they get too comfortable. I was raised by the old school workaholics, I was trained by “company men” and the owner and her father that I worked for when he was alive have been very good to me. Kid is about to fuck around and find out, but I wish him well in his future endeavors.
View Quote

That power is tasty, isn't it?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Did I make it in before the “I work eleventy billion hours a week unpaid OT and have Never take time off this century, even when sick. Im super proud of never seeing my family or enjoying life and if you don’t you are a lazy communist/millenial” types.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#27]
When I submit PTO, I'm not asking. I'm telling.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I plan almost all my PTO at the beginning of the year, so no surprises in September, etc.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
My boss gets ulcers from how much time I have banked. I'm frequently asked when I'll be taking time off. Answer is generally the same "no clue".

I'll need it in the future but I do not need it now. It's money in the bank.
View Quote

I agree. I had to take 5 months off due to really bad multiple family emergencies. I'm fortunate in that I can take leave without pay but it was nice to keep a paycheck coming in so i could concentrate on more important matters.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By R0N:
FTO has become a thing in industry, and with it the need to get approval further out for all but emergent needs.
View Quote

Screw FTO or “unlimited PTO”. I want that shit tracked. And the ability to accrue so I can take a payout when I retire / quit / get laid off.  I’d never trust a company to completely honor that situation.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Golly I love my job, wholesale lumber.

We don't even have vacation. I can do all my work from my phone. As long as your sales are good they don't give a crap where your at in the country or how long your gone.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Underscore_O_Three:
The only job I had with PTO was the military.

I lost so many days every year.  A lot were rolled over during GWOT, but often we "took leave" but ended up just shutting the door to our office or coming in wearing civies so we could tell people we were just pucking something up or checking email.  

I think 2020 I lost over 20 days.  Brigade commander got a list of everyone who lost more than a few days and we all got an email to report to the auditorium on Friday.

We proceeded to get asses reamed about managing our time and how it's healthy for the family and the army.  90% of the audience were officers.  85% were captain and above.

He had fully drank the kool-aid.  Fuck those hypocrits.
View Quote

Fucking hell
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Going_Commando:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Going_Commando:
I've only denied one this year. Warehouse kid is only 3 months into the job and requested Spring Gobbler opening week off. Sorry bud, hunting season is a seniority thing around here and the warehouse tech that's been with us for 5 years requested it off Jan 1st. He tried the millennial, well it was more of a courtesy to let you know I won't be here line than really asking. Told him we'd give him the courtesy of emptying his locker for him if he doesnt show up.

I think sometimes the millennials who work under me think I'm one of them since I'm only pushing 40 and they get too comfortable. I was raised by the old school workaholics, I was trained by "company men" and the owner and her father that I worked for when he was alive have been very good to me. Kid is about to fuck around and find out, but I wish him well in his future endeavors.

Do forget "horrible boss" as well!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#34]
lolz. i have to pick my pto weeks a YEAR in advance. if not, good luck getting it approved.

at least 20+ rules within picking dates off as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:
I only denied PTO once.  4th of July was on a Thursday and everyone wanted the 5th off.  Based it on seniority and allowed the 2 people that I needed to be available to work from home.  Everyone was happy.

I could see the denial requests being more common among hourly employees working shift work. Most exempt employees probably aren't seeing those issues.
View Quote

That's where you are wrong kid.

I know of several exempt employees who lose annual vacation time due to business needs.
You can roll over some over the cap, like a week. But otherwise SOL.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Emergencies happen and I'd understand if my employer told me they needed my help and couldn't approve my time off. For most people those instances should be rare - like once in a career.

So that's the one situation where I'd accept having my PTO disapproved. Once. More often than that and we're in the territory of constant emergencies = unhealthy systems and processes. Time to move on at that point.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Austin4130:
Not here.

Handle your stuff, enjoy your time.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Not at my current place.  I consider a vacation request not really a request, more like officially telling my boss I will not be at work that day.  

Wife’s previous employer routinely denied vacation requests.  Union shop so priority was based on seniority.  Even if you got your vacation approved, it could get denied later if a more senior person decided to take that day off.  Was so bad if you absolutely needed a day off she had the quandary of risking getting it denied or just calling in sick.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#39]
4 weeks vacation
10 days PTO
1 year paid sick leave at full pay
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#40]
I have two types of vacation - specific date stuff that I can plan out sometimes a year out.

The others - are basically got to get out of Dodge - asap - and I try to aim those at the
least impacting schedule.  

Then the last are, I have the utility folks coming here to work on the gas meter...it is winter and I kind of need heat.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#41]
My wife has hundreds of hours of PTO time. If you use it you get written up for abuse of PTO time. When they lay you off, you get paid for only 80 hrs. Plus they raid you PTO time to give you sick time. Then at the end of the year you lose accumulated sick and its replentished with PTO time. I keep telling her to band together with other workers and do a sick out. Or call the labor board. This can't be legal
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't ask for time off. I give them the courtesy of letting them know that I will be gone.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Technically I get PTO. Though I really can’t use it. There are two pilots at the company and both of us are required to fly the jet. So we try to take vacations during scheduled maintenance. I was on a cruise back in January and during the cruise I won another cruise. Trying to coordinate my free cruise has become one of the most stressful things.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't ask for PTO.

I take it.

"Hey boss I'm taking off next week."

"Ok."

Granted I'm in a line of work that allows for that.

I feel sorry for the people that work at crap employers that have to find coverage, blah blah.

Flexibility was the second most important factor when I was considering employers. First being stability.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Freakinout:
I don't ask for time off, just let them know when I won't be working
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#46]
If we have coverage the team member is getting their time off.  It's part of their compensation and would be wrong to withhold it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:17:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Genin] [#47]
A former employer wanted us to solve phone call emergencies in the middle of the night..  My phone was between the dining room and kitchen, so I had to get out of bed, put on a robe and answer the call.  Then I would try (TRY) to get back to sleep, which was usually impossible.  

They used to not complain when I would request an hours worth of time for middle of the night calls.  New supervisor said I would only be allowed the 4-6 minutes the phone call actually took to resolve the "emergency".  For some reason, I could no longer hear the phone ringing in the middle of the night, so all those "emergency" calls would get routed to the supervisor for the 4-6 minutes of time to resolve.  "Gee, I bought a new wall phone and it has a different ringer that just isn't as loud as the older phone".

ETA:  Hoping to solve all those middle of the night phone calls that the new supervisor was getting, when pagers first came out, he wanted us all to take pagers home.  When the wage and hour commission told him that for every 24 hours we were on call, we were entitled to 8 hours of overtime (time and a half) pay.  So, taking pagers home was no longer required, but was voluntary so they could avoid paying overtime.  No one took the pagers home.  Enjoy all those middle of the night calls you cheap, tight fisted, penny pincher.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#48]
15 years, I have never denied a request.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Chromekilla:

I know of several exempt employees who lose annual vacation time due to business needs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chromekilla:
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:

I said denied. I didn’t say not even asking for it because you know it will be denied.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
My boss gets ulcers from how much time I have banked. I'm frequently asked when I'll be taking time off. Answer is generally the same "no clue".

I'll need it in the future but I do not need it now. It's money in the bank.
View Quote
Check your state laws for that one. It's not in WI. Banking huge PTO in WI can be just erased upon quitting/firing.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top