Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Niche revolver caliber.
Most handgun owners are self defense oriented rather than hunting.
Most people are better served with a SIg 365, Shield, Glock 19 for self defense rather than a 6 shot revolver with more blast and slower follow up shots.
That is why.

Said by someone with niche 10mm & 357 Sig semi auto calibers.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I like .41 in theorie but can by no chance justifiy it between 357 and 44
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:55:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems reasonable, already have 9mm or smaller, .44 mag and .45 Colt and several things adjacent.  I'd probably buy the gun before caring about the caliber.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Got any links to what you've read? Was it actual studies or weird internet people talk? .019 really going to make that big of a difference you think? 19 thousandths of an inch.

no

When you say need you mean something they do that nothing else does or something else? 10mm being one of the baddest things you can put in a conventional semi auto is noteworthy. 41 Mag basically needs the same stuff a 44 mag/45 Colt needs but you aren't really gaining anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Unlubed:

Maybe not but at its top end does .41 pen more than .44? From what I've seen and read .41 is a better woods gun than the big three.

Got any links to what you've read? Was it actual studies or weird internet people talk? .019 really going to make that big of a difference you think? 19 thousandths of an inch.
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Am I the only one who doesn't have a clue what you just said?

no
Originally Posted By Mindless:
Gun writers who don't know a cylinder from a chamber and are bought by ad money doomed the .41 just like the 10 mm.  Both of them fill a spot/need and have not gone away.

When you say need you mean something they do that nothing else does or something else? 10mm being one of the baddest things you can put in a conventional semi auto is noteworthy. 41 Mag basically needs the same stuff a 44 mag/45 Colt needs but you aren't really gaining anything.

If they could fit 6 rounds in an L frame, that would be sweet
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:57:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HammerHammer] [#5]
.41 Mag is a great caliber. The reason why it’s not more popular is because of marketing - they did a poor job selling it when it came out, and it’s primary competitors were .44 Mag and .357 Mag. That’s a tough spot to start with.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CDW4ME:
Niche revolver caliber.
Most people are better served with a SIg 365, Shield, Glock 19 for self defense rather than a 6 shot revolver with more blast and slower follow up shots.
That is why.

View Quote

The slower followup shots are kinda not really a thing. I mean yeah 0.2 is slower than 0.18 but it's really not relevant in the real world.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Great caliber

It just came out at the wrong time.  If it was introduced before the .44 magnum it would be more popular

It’s one of my bucket list revolver calibers
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Its a good cartridge, just didn't take off like 357 and 44 did.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:05:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Death Proof - Staggolee - Pacific Gas & Electric
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#10]
.44 doesn't really start to run away from the .41 until you get into +P and +P+ loadings, which don't really officially exist for the.41.

Although I'm sure there are "Ruger only" or "Freedom Arms only" handloads for the .41 that are a somewhat better match for the hottest .44 loads.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:
I've always wanted a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 magnum to carry on my hip, for bear and cougars.
View Quote

Do it. I love mine.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

Maybe not but at its top end does .41 pen more than .44? From what I've seen and read .41 is a better woods gun than the big three.

no
Gun writers who don't know a cylinder from a chamber and are bought by ad money doomed the .41 just like the 10 mm.  Both of them fill a spot/need and have not gone away.

I'd be down for something like a .41 Special L-Frame, if that could actually be accomplished. Maybe +P, again if possible, because a 215-220gr SWC at about 950fps from a 4" barrel seems pretty OK to me
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RifleCal30m1n00b:

I'd be down for something like a .41 Special L-Frame, if that could actually be accomplished. Maybe +P, again if possible, because a 215-220gr SWC at about 950fps from a 4" barrel seems pretty OK to me
View All Quotes

no

Yeah, although honestly at that point I'd rather have a 10mm.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Or just load a 240gr swc at 1000fps for the .44
View Quote

I absolutely agree with you, though what you're describing is basically a "warm" Special load. If I ever own an N-frame in .44 Mag that load you just delineated will be the hottest thing it will ever digest. I personally believe that the N-frame was never really enough for what the .44 Mag has become, and I also feel that there should never be a K or J frame revolver in .357 Mag. It's just pushing the respective envelopes too much, engineering wise. The .41 Mag can stretch its legs in an N-frame without the durability issues of its big brother.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:55:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#15]
The only loaded ammo in my area is HP, which is not appropriate for my use.  I get 220 gr. SWC GC from Moyers Bullets and load my own.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:58:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Good question since it’s the ideal pistol cartridge.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#17]

I would wager realistically it could replace all three of those and weigh less than .44...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DevilDog0402:
For me, it doesn't do anything I can't do with .357 mag, .44 mag, or 10mm.  If I was rich, I'd probably have a couple just for fun though.

I would wager realistically it could replace all three of those and weigh less than .44...

This is 100% true.  But variety is the spice of life so get them all.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:07:25 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

no

Which, frankly, is why the 10mm GP100 MC is on my "maybe someday" list.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

Really.  What can 41 do that the more popular options cant?
View Quote

If you ask that sort of question, you won't understand.

You can forget about anyone showing you the secret handshake now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I got into .41 Mag for deer hunting back in the 80s.  I practiced every week, 50 rounds offhand, full power 210 gr JHPs, on a 12"x12" steel plate at 100 yards. After 50 rounds, I wasn't sore and didn't have a flinch. If I had done that with a .44 Mag and full power 240 gr ammo, I would have been sore.  I handloaded for .357, .41, .44, and .45.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#21]
My 2nd comment on this post…..lots of good comments, lots of facts, lots of opinions. I doubt if any of us change anyone’s opinions, and that’s OK.

I just like different, or unusual, or niche calibers. I started reloading in 1975, so niche ammo isn’t a problem for me.
I bought a .280 Remington 700 when everyone else was buying .270’s in the 70’s. Before that I was shooting two .25-06’s 98 Mausers when everyone else was shooting .243’s.
I shot IHMSA silhouettes in the 80’s using a 7-30 Waters TC Contender which required fire forming .30-30 cases before factory brass was readily available. Late 70’s/early 80’s (?) I bought my first Model 58 .41 mag when an Okla county stopped supporting their deputies carrying .41 mag and one turned up in a pawn shop. In ‘88 I bought a 10mm 1911 b/c of Miami Vice. I recently rebarrrled one of my 6.5 Grendel’s to a .224 Predator (.22 Grendel).

There’s an old saying….Variety is the spice of life.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:53:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By wideglidejoe:Variety is the spice of life.
View Quote

There it is.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:14:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I dunno, I like the idea of a 327 J frame. But I guess that’s a bit like a 30 super carry m&p Shield. Failed upon release
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:34:44 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
S&W N frame 6" barrel

41 mag 48.1 oz
44 mag 46.3 oz
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I once saw a Colt Python converted to .41 magnum

it was a consignment sale that sat in the display case for several months

The owner of the gunshop said it was built by a well known gunsmith and perfectly safe

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

The owner of the gunshop said it was built by a well known gunsmith and perfectly safe

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Colt653:

I would’ve jumped all over that, unless the price was ridiculous!

An old Army buddy of mine became a county sheriff in rural KY, his Sam Browne duty rig carried two 4” Colt Pythons. I remember watching him practice his fast draw at 5 or 7 yards. He was drawing both Pythons simultaneously and placing one shot from each gun on target, then another drill doing double taps from each gun on target. It was impressive!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:04:44 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

I’d think if they could do it they would have already. It would be interesting to see all the math they use to figure out the safe minimums.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#28]

The slower followup shots are kinda not really a thing. I mean yeah 0.2 is slower than 0.18 but it's really not relevant in the real world.
View All Quotes
Niche revolver caliber.
That is why.

You can accomplish those splits, but you are more skilled than most shooters.

How about someone who goes to the range maybe twice a year like my wife.
She is way better off with a Glock 19 than a 41 Mag.

What I said is valid for most people.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Keep in mind the .44 had a series of five 90-120 minute commercials between the 70s and the 90s, saying it was the most powerful handgun in the world, and will take your head clean off.

Clint ia a powerful spokesman. Hell, there are still people who think the .44 is the most powerful in the world.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By AmateurLuthier:
https://imageshack.com/i/polMrmMHj

Currently have a Blackhawk in.41.  If Colt would make a .41 Anaconda, I would throw money at them.
View Quote

Love the grips!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:22:15 AM EDT
[#31]
It's been said but, the juice ain't worth the squeeze.  10mm offers larger capacity with fast reloads. If you're going with a revolver, might as well go 44.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By curiomatic:
I got into .41 Mag for deer hunting back in the 80s.  I practiced every week, 50 rounds offhand, full power 210 gr JHPs, on a 12"x12" steel plate at 100 yards. After 50 rounds, I wasn't sore and didn't have a flinch. If I had done that with a .44 Mag and full power 240 gr ammo, I would have been sore.  I handloaded for .357, .41, .44, and .45.
View Quote

Yep.

I find the difference in recoil to be significant, too.

I find .41 magnum to be fun to shoot in (reasonable) volume, and .44 magnum... isn't.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
For me, it doesn't do anything I can't do with .357 mag, .44 mag, or 10mm.  If I was rich, I'd probably have a couple just for fun though.

except it's a unicorn to find ammo for

was an idea that just didn't take.

It's a cool range toy - come to that revolvers in general are cool range toys that can be pressed into service as defensive tool in extremis when a better tool isn't at  hand
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
Agree, .357 covers the bases

I might be getting a Ruger .44 mag rifle,
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes
Niche revolver caliber.
That is why.

Let's make America great again. America was once a bastion of masculine stoicism when the m19 was the preeminent police and carry gun. Add in the men among men who did rough work outside and they carried N frames.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Agree, .357 covers the bases

I might be getting a Ruger .44 mag rifle,
View Quote
My wife has a Winchester .44 mag carbine.  That thing is kind of a little animal.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#37]
One of the 58’s was heavily modified before I found it. It has a bobbed hammer (DAO), converted to round butt, and the right side of the trigger guard has been “scalloped”, making it more convenient to lay your trigger finger straight alongside the trigger.

I’d love to see some photos.

I have an SAPD marked model 58.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Because 10mm Mag is better.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SnowMexican:
Although I'm sure there are "Ruger only" or "Freedom Arms only" handloads for the .41 that are a somewhat better match for the hottest .44 loads.
View Quote

No, there is not.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By MikeSearson:

No, there is not.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MikeSearson:
Originally Posted By SnowMexican:

No, there is not.

To a small degree there is.  Elmer Keith recommended 20 grains of 2400 for Ruger Blackhawks, and 19 grains for S&Ws.  Not a great deal of difference, but it is a difference.  Even 19 grain loads kick pretty good from a M58.  On a warm day, they will break 1300 FPS, not bad for a 4" barrel.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By dorobuta:  I want to add one to my stable...
View Quote
You have a stable ?!?Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Unlubed:  I don't think with home reloaded options. 45 colt is in the same conversation as .357, .41, and  .44. I love the round, but I don't think that big of a case and the fact Blackhawks exist makes it relevant. Kind of like factory only 10mm shooters vs. Reloaders.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#43]
One is enough for me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:31:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sandblaster] [#44]
Sheriff Pusser concurs. Model 58 .41 Magnum as carried by Buford Pusser.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I've always wanted a 41.

It was designed as a police round, and at one time they offered factory reduced power loads intended for police use.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#46]
At this point it's probably almost like a Catch 22 type situation.

More people don't buy them because the guns and ammo are expensive.
The guns and ammo are expensive because more people don't buy them.

I would eventually like to have one, but I have a long list ahead of it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I don’t know but I want one, there’s used ones around here because it was standard issue in San Antonio back in the 70s and 80s.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:05:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floof] [#48]
Originally Posted By PR361:
One of the 58’s was heavily modified before I found it. It has a bobbed hammer (DAO), converted to round butt, and the right side of the trigger guard has been “scalloped”, making it more convenient to lay your trigger finger straight alongside the trigger.

I’d love to see some photos.

I have an SAPD marked model 58.
View Quote

Not his, but mine is very similar to what he described. Model 58, bobbed hammer, trigger work, VZ grips.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#49]
“This is a .41 Magnum, NOT the most powerful handgun in the world…”
Doesn’t roll of the tongue like .44 magnum.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:11:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyLoco] [#50]
Originally Posted By Fugitive:
It's been said but, the juice ain't worth the squeeze.  10mm offers larger capacity with fast reloads. If you're going with a revolver, might as well go 44.
View Quote

I agree with this, at least here in the Hill Country, 10mm, .45 acp and .357 mag and sig are adequate hog guns and we only have the occasional bear sighting. Heck even my 10mms and 686 plus are heavy to carry so I just opt for my hk45c with +ps.

I tend to think if you need a .41 mag, a .44 mag is not much different at .43.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top