BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By daemon734:
Don't worry. I've been personally assured we will never need anything we gave away in Ukraine in a conflict against China.
View Quote

I think one of them tried to explain that if we were in a war with China, Russia would get involved anyway, so if we give everything away and weaken Russia now, it is a net benefit
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By thor_ducati:
Originally Posted By djkest:
Originally Posted By thor_ducati:
Found the problem.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67413/IMG_1344_jpeg-3165113.JPG

Clearly the more inclusive radar will take way longer to be fabulous.

That's not what "discrimination" means in a missile defense context.

Most newer systems employ countermeasures, so your sensor / detection systems need to be able to discriminate between the decoys and the lethal object.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/xT9IgHCTfp8CRshfQk/200w.gif?cid=6c09b952t1023akq55ztry76nemn562uhqikz0bl7fmuntok&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

It's big too. Like Aegis ashore

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/products/long-range-discrimination-radar.html
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By steve_n_houston:
Why can't we be ready sooner?  Rainbow flags on backorder?
View Quote

Originally Posted By webtaz99:
If they go any faster they'll tip the island over!

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn’t it be easier to park some Destroyers around the island at the four corners while you wait.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:24:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: destaccado] [#5]
Originally Posted By DC2FA5:
The fact that the politicians and brass discuss war with China as a foregone conclusion should enrage the American populace.
View Quote

Why would we be enraged?  The American populace should be enraged that people without a clue continually chime in on topics they know next to nothing about yet since it's the majority of the populace; I guess they can't be.

China has a large surplus male population until roughly 2030.
China wants Taiwan.
China is rapidly building every type of ship they need to take Taiwan and every missile to make our Navy irrelevant near their borders at an extremely rapid pace.

Maybe you can explain what they're doing that for to the rest of us?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't worry. I've been personally assured we will never need anything we gave away in Ukraine in a conflict against China.
View Quote

That was all just garbage we were going to have to pay to get rid of anyway. We actually saved a ton of money. Also, it was all made to kill Russians and nothing but Russians. It wouldn't have worked on the Chinese.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe spend less time on DEI indoctrination and more on military stuff?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Meanwhile the USCG is pulling defensive weapons systems off of some vessels and then moving them to the pacific.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
I think this is more budget posturing then anything. The solution has changed a bit too.

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2023/10/missile-defense-agency-provides-new-details-on-defense-of-guam/

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/R/R47643

THAAD and patriot is already there. https://www.dvidshub.net/news/466723/thaad-battery-guam-successfully-completes-table-viii-evaluatio
https://www.defensenews.com/smr/defending-the-pacific/2023/03/17/first-wave-of-tech-to-defend-guam-from-newer-threats-due-in-2024/

Not sure what the timing is for getting more batteries and LTAMDS in though.

View Quote

Bring back the Sprint
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#10]
when is the war scheduled to start? I didn't get the memo....
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By couchlord:

I suspect for reasons he does not tip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bayouhazard:
They should ask Hank Johnson for some tips.

I suspect for reasons he does not tip.

Oh , he tips. It's GUAM that doesn't tip.

And since the AF was kind enough to give EVERYBODY an idea of how long it MIGHT take.........  remember, the Chinese are pretty much ready NOW. Even if they don't have EVERYTHING ready, they have enough raw manpower to throw in the mix at ANY time that things will be ugly.....
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Came to post this.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By dorobuta:
when is the war scheduled to start? I didn't get the memo....
View Quote

Going by PACOM - May 2027
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
The fact that the arms industries havent been ramped up to a war time footing starting in Feb 2022 is simply idiotic.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
The fact that the arms industries havent been ramped up to a war time footing starting in Feb 2022 is simply idiotic.

I was just at my LGS today, no

LR primers and no idea when they might come in. Also, he said they've been told by pretty much everybody no new orders for the foreseeable future. I woudn't call it ramping up, but somebodies buying lots of ammo.

On the lighter side, if whoever traded in their Gen 1 M&P Shield with F/O sights is on here, thank you. $199 OTD wasn't even a decision.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:38:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By colklink:

I suspect this is true. Every move Biden has made since being installed in the Whitehouse has been to weaken America. I think he is positioning us to be engaged in a couple wars simultaneously, and get our asses handed to us. I would bet the Pentagon is 100% behind the plan, as is the CIA and FBI.

Not one American general officer resigned in protest after the cluster fuck that was the afghan withdrawal. That tells me everything I need to know.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Southernman077:
Losing is all part of the plan.

I suspect this is true. Every move Biden has made since being installed in the Whitehouse has been to weaken America. I think he is positioning us to be engaged in a couple wars simultaneously, and get our asses handed to us. I would bet the Pentagon is 100% behind the plan, as is the CIA and FBI.

Not one American general officer resigned in protest after the cluster fuck that was the afghan withdrawal. That tells me everything I need to know.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Do we need to tell China to step up the delivery of the electronic parts we need? We better order more rare earths too.
Is China obligated to supply parts and materials after the war starts? I hope so!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Oh please, it's frikken island 2000 miles away from China.  Put a few missile boats
closer to China and shoot down anything they might send.

Just have worry about subs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#19]
There isn't going to be a war with China over Taiwan.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Rubik:
There isn't going to be a war with China over Taiwan.
View Quote

That's not something anyone can predict with any degree of certainty.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#21]
The fact that the politicians and brass discuss war with China as a foregone conclusion should enrage the American populace.
View Quote

Why?   China is discussing war with us as a forgone conclusion, and they give fuck-all what the American populace thinks about it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

The difference between what we had and what we gave to Ukraine won’t budge the needle in a war with China. Only being grown up adults and making more will do that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By jwr6:

Why?   China is discussing war with us as a forgone conclusion, and they give fuck-all what the American populace thinks about it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jwr6:

Taiwan actually does belong to China. Of course they talk about war because they are willing to go to war over it.

We aren't, don't, and shouldn't.

We just need to build our own chip manufacturing, stop buying shit from China, and mind our own business.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Taiwan actually does belong to China. Of course they talk about war because they are willing to go to war over it.

We just need to build our own chip manufacturing, stop buying shit from China, and mind our own business.
View Quote

Build our own?

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

The Dutch and Spanish have older claims to Formosa than the Chinese. The Chinese communists have no claim at all, beyond their insistence that all places inhabited by Han belong to them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

The difference between what we had and what we gave to Ukraine won’t budge the needle in a war with China. Only being grown up adults and making more will do that.
View Quote

Well, we got what we got from now until the several years it takes for that to happen. Step one at that point is to stop throwing critical requirements into a never ending bonfire which was created, by design, to burn those exact resources.

There is also a large leap from deterrence to war, the first of which we can affect with what we have.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#27]
The fact that the political class isn’t taking this seriously and going back to 5% on defense is all you need to know.

When push comes to shove Biden is likely to withdraw without fighting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:04:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daemon734] [#28]
The fact that the political class isn’t taking this seriously and going back to 5% on defense is all you need to know.
View All Quotes

That's extremely easy to fall back on when you will never be the person assuming risk.

When push comes to shove Biden is likely to withdraw without fighting.

So it's not a huge leap to withdraw right now then.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Shadyman:
Want to know a little secret to winning a war with China, tell your wife to quit shopping at Costco, Walmart and Target.
View Quote

The libbys on the label is not made or grown in China.

Plenty to buy at wally world not made in China.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

All the ones with integrity were drummed out.

It sucks I can't argue against any of your points.

I hate that it's all correct.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#31]

That's extremely easy to fall back on when you will never be the person assuming risk.
View All Quotes

You’re looking at it from the bottom up and I’m looking at it from the top down.

So it's not a huge leap to withdraw right now then.

If that happens it’s the end of the United States as a superpower.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#32]
LOL that's code for we want more money!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Basqueguy545:
LOL that's code for we want more money!
View Quote

Well, the military is drastically underfunded right now. Not that they don’t waste a lot of what they get.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By steve_n_houston:
Why can't we be ready sooner?  Rainbow flags on backorder?
View Quote

Gender "affirmative" care simply has to take the highest priority
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:59:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#36]
Originally Posted By BayEagle:
Hey be reasonable. Those DEI consultants are expensive.
View Quote

Hollywood, academia, corporate America - sweet gigs ensuring “equity” everyone talking military industrial complex - how bout that DEI grift $
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Well, the military is drastically underfunded right now. Not that they don’t waste a lot of what they get.
View Quote

Perfect storm - underfunded while having an inability to pass audits for the money they do get, little of which goes towards private snuffy

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

The fact that guy is still a politician tells you everything about the state of our country.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#39]

You’re looking at it from the bottom up and I’m looking at it from the top down.
View All Quotes

You're looking at it as someone who doesn't understand that this conflict is going to happen and we are absolutely going to be unprepared. You seem to think that our unpreparedness is somehow indicative of the enemy's intent.

Being that you have zero actual personal risk tied in here you are willing to assume that risk on behalf of those that do, by giving away large amounts of critical resources that will be needed. The fact that you think being able to point fingers, assign blame, and say "I told you so" does not change the situation from what it is inevitably going to be.

If that happens it’s the end of the United States as a superpower.

Withdrawing from Ukraine proxy support?  Nah.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:05:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Scott] [#40]

You're looking at it as someone who doesn't understand that this conflict is going to happen and we are absolutely going to be unprepared. You seem to think that our unpreparedness is somehow indicative of the enemy's intent.

Being that you have zero actual personal risk tied in here you are willing to assume that risk on behalf of those that do, by giving away large amounts of critical resources that will be needed. The fact that you think being able to point fingers, assign blame, and say "I told you so" does not change the situation from what it is inevitably going to be.
View All Quotes

I’m telling you to be realistic and understand that what’s been given isn’t enough to change the course of a war with China. If you can’t do it now you couldn’t do it then. Which is why the solution isn’t to hoard what you’ve got it’s to build more. It’s too late of course. I’m sorry for how you’ll suffer for leaderships failures.

Withdrawing from Ukraine proxy support?  Nah.

Taiwan. I was talking about Taiwan. Korea will fold, the Aussies will get spooked and Japan will build The Bomb.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#41]

I’m telling you to be realistic and understand that what’s been given isn’t enough to change the course of a war with China. If you can’t do it now you couldn’t do it then. Which is why the solution isn’t to hoard what you’ve got it’s to build more. It’s too late of course. I’m sorry for how you’ll suffer for leaderships failures.
View Quote

Ah, so you acknowledge it's too late to fix some very specific problems, so the answer is to make the problems much worse.

Thanks for your insight as usual.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Don't we spend more than the rest of the world combined?  Read that on the internet.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Need more betel nut to get the job done.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#44]

Don't we spend more than the rest of the world combined?  Read that on the internet.
View Quote

PACOM commander says nope.

Since our military enemies don’t share their accounting info it’s all guess work what they spend
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Ah, so you acknowledge it's too late to fix some very specific problems, so the answer is to make the problems much worse.

Thanks for your insight as usual.
View Quote

The solution is to make a plan that involves the Army less. Since we don’t have enough Navy to support the Army there anyway.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

If you account for hidden money and differentials in purchasing power China alone is close to us.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#47]

The solution is to make a plan that involves the Army less. Since we don’t have enough Navy to support the Army there anyway.
View Quote

Oddly enough, the people that do this for a living disagree.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:25:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#49]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#50]

Oddly enough, the people that do this for a living disagree.
View Quote

Depends on what you mean by "do this for a living."

Given that Congress has slashed the Army's budget and increased those of the other services, I would think that it's pretty clear what the people who do this for a living are up to.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top