BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PikeSlayer:

I'm sure in the year 1985 plutonium is available on any local street corner, but in the year 1955, it's a little harder to come by.
View Quote

I understood that reference!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Today, we offer a limited quantity of Engelhard 100 oz Silver Bars at an exceptionally low premium of just $0.99 per oz over spot. This represents a significant discount compared to other dealers, making it an outstanding opportunity to acquire top-quality silver at a rock-bottom price. Don't miss out on this chance to own bars from one of the most esteemed refineries in the industry.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Klaatu_barada_nikto:
Nylons and chocolate,  worked in Europe a hundred years ago will work again.
View Quote

Cigarettes and alcohol too.  Those one shot sized bottles would be ideal.  Smaller the better.   You don't want to trade a 1.75 litter bottle when a few ounces would do.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ArmedSerenity:
Silver yes gold no

1 oz of silver will be easier to trade for goods then 1 oz of gold.

No one will be giving change on trades of goods during a SHTF.

You might up using a 1 oz of gold for food, water or ammo vs a few oz's of silver or 1 oz of silver per item.

Cash money will be worthless after 7 days or sooner in SHTF.

The best currency would be sugar, salt, medical supplies, booze, drugs, medications, ammo, food, and water. Hell maybe even toliet paper will be worth its weight in gold 🤷🏻‍♂️
View Quote

Yup, salt, sugar, flour, canned goods, freeze dried goods, medical supplies, anything to purify water, or water in general.   Batteries, diesel and propane.   Butt wipe for sure.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I encourage everyone that asks to stockpile gold and silver, it it is a good looking woman, lingerie
I will enjoy the fruits of my suggestions in a post apocalyptic society.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By arashi:
Why not be well rounded?

Most SHTF scenarios for your average obese, out of shape, basement dwelling GD'er is a health event, loss of job, or being kicked out by their mother.

Plan for that.
View Quote

Shhh. That doesn't fit the masturbatory fantasies that sell guns and gear.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Spartikis:

Assuming there is no epic economic collapse on the next 100 years the index fund will be worth way more. Gold holds its value, stocks are ownership of companies that make profit and pay out dividends.

With that said a little gold is some good insurance I suppose. Also nice to have some wealth outside of the system given the increasingly digital world we live in and how hell bent our gov is set on tracking our every move.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Spartikis:
Originally Posted By BabaYaga22:
Originally Posted By PikeSlayer:
I threw it all in the garbage can and just bought index funds. those all will all be worth way more in 100 years. Planning for my kids' future. Index funds, man.

Serious?

Assuming there is no epic economic collapse on the next 100 years the index fund will be worth way more. Gold holds its value, stocks are ownership of companies that make profit and pay out dividends.

With that said a little gold is some good insurance I suppose. Also nice to have some wealth outside of the system given the increasingly digital world we live in and how hell bent our gov is set on tracking our every move.

It's not so much that it will be worth more, it's that it'll COST more to buy that same stock for the simple fact that it takes more of the currency to buy that item.

I.e.: you could buy a decent sized home with 100 oz of gold @$20/oz 100 years ago. It's still true today.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GutWrench:
I have a zip lock bag full of real gold jewelry I kept after my mom died.

I brought it to a gold buyer. They won’t give you but like half it’s worth. So it’s just sitting in my sock drawer.

I’m thinking about getting someone to melt it into a big brick and just toss it on my desk as a paper weight.
View Quote

@GutWrench

Remove the stones and other trash.
Weigh it and calculate gold content.
Determine actually gold value.

Then ship it to  www.midwestrefineries.com

They will do the same thing, and pay you 95% of the gold value.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
Gold and silver is the last thing I would buy for shtf
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#10]
if you think gold or silver will protect you
or prolong your demise.  you better think again
food, water , bullets and medicine
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Dullard:
All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it’s not for eating. It’s just for looking through.
View Quote

I read that in his voice
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By The_Reaper:

@GutWrench

Remove the stones and other trash.
Weigh it and calculate gold content.
Determine actually gold value.

Then ship it to  www.midwestrefineries.com

They will do the same thing, and pay you 95% of the gold value.

View Quote

Interesting. I am going to look into this
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe you should be well diversified.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By noob5000000:
Precious metals aren't for SHTF, they're for inflation.
View Quote
even with the recent gains they've done a pretty shitty job of that
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Curdmugeon45:

It's not so much that it will be worth more, it's that it'll COST more to buy that same stock for the simple fact that it takes more of the currency to buy that item.

I.e.: you could buy a decent sized home with 100 oz of gold @$20/oz 100 years ago. It's still true today.
View Quote

The problem with this is you have to convert the silver to an acceptable currency. Not a lot of folks want silver for their house.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Toilet paper.
If COVID taught me anything, people will do anything for TP.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Klaatu_barada_nikto:
Nylons and chocolate,  worked in Europe a hundred years ago will work again.
View Quote

Cocoa is at record highs too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Badger545:
even with the recent gains they've done a pretty shitty job of that
View Quote

Same with equities.

Pretty hard to beat 13-14% real inflation.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Not really a practical long term investment IMO. Our economy would pretty much need to go to completely shit and our currency be devalued dramatically for it to work out for you. IE, you're literally betting/hoping for a down-fall in order to profit.

Also the price of gold is high right now. And gold doesn't always ' Go up'. Its fairly volatile. You could easily buy gold and over the next 10 years it be worth 40-50% less then you paid for it.

I'd say maybe 10% of your investments into gold would be fine. So for every 90K you have in the stock market. 10K in gold/silver... You also might as well go 10% into Bitcoin as well. So 80K stock market 10K Gold 10K Bitcoin. But again Bitcoin and Gold are both very high right now. I'd wait for their prices to dip/crash before loading up on them.

Or something like that. Just buying gold/precious metals and waiting for the economy to melt down isn't a very good plan. You're better off knowing how to garden/can/preserve foods, raise chickens/rabbits, etc.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top