Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kiltakaze:

I train a decent amount of people, mostly new shooters. It’s extremely rare the gun itself is the issue and there is only one common denominator in your case
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rabidus:
I think the problem is probably the Indian and not the arrow dude. If you’re getting consistently crappy groups from a variety of pistols, you need to shoot more and measure less.

lol

The Colts had chattered bores.

I train a decent amount of people, mostly new shooters. It’s extremely rare the gun itself is the issue and there is only one common denominator in your case

I’m not digging up my Colt fiasco. Not worth the 7 pages.

My new Python had chatter in the barrel. Never shot it.

Sent it to Colt. They said yes, it’s bad, and sent me a new one.

The new one also had bore chatter.

The millennial at Colt who was supposed to check it was prepping for SHOT show and rushed it through.

Mysteriously, Colt sold a lot of blemished Pythons to PSA  $1,000 3 or so months after my issues.

I’ve also had issues with Rossi 92 lever guns. Over sized chambers as well.

First 92 is in 357 mag, they sent it back and it shoots great.

Other was in 45 Colt, brass was severely bulged, after firing,  and the bore was .455” most 45 Colt ammo is now .452”

I’ve noticed quality control has dropped post COVID. Data shows people are not motivated to work, people are afraid of the future. It’s hard for skilled humans to be 100% when they’re worried about their and their kids future. Their country becoming a 3rd world shithole, WWIII, DEI employees, and not achieving the American Dream.

It takes a toll on people, new car QC is also shit. Nobody makes anything reliable anymore. (Some of it too is the government fault for new auto mandates)

Guns aren’t immune from this downward spiral.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Never got an award for pistol.

I was at MCRD or Pendleton back in ‘08 for an educator workshop. Got to shoot the simulator.

It was fun, for the pistol range, one of the Marines asked if I needed a tutorial, told him, “thanks but I got it..”

Started shooting, all shots were hitting COM and head shots.

Ran 2-3 mags through it and the room got quieter, heads started to turn over, granted, these are teachers so not much to talk about.

Got done. Stopped for a second, looked around and the entire room was watching me. A major and a colonel were watching and smiled.

2 young Marines pushed some teachers aside and said, we got this…they shot 1/2 a mag, shot like shit, and moved away from the line.

A few people in the room said, “Damn”

As I passed the officers, the Major gave me a nod.

I don’t shoot competition, I’m sure many can beat me but at the range, I only met 1 other person who could outshoot me with a pistol, he won awards in the Army pistol competition.

So I’m no Jerry Miculek by any stretch but I’m also not a slack jawed basement dweller.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:43:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I just kind of skimmed over the thread, but did you try the ammo in another gun to see how it does?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#4]

The millennial at Colt who was supposed to check it was prepping for SHOT show and rushed it through.

Mysteriously, Colt sold a lot of blemished Pythons to PSA  $1,000 3 or so months after my issues.

Other was in 45 Colt, brass was severely bulged, after firing,  and the bore was .455” most 45 Colt ammo is now .452”

I’ve noticed quality control has dropped post COVID. Data shows people are not motivated to work, people are afraid of the future. It’s hard for skilled humans to be 100% when they’re worried about their and their kids future. Their country becoming a 3rd world shithole, WWIII, DEI employees, and not achieving the American Dream.

It takes a toll on people, new car QC is also shit. Nobody makes anything reliable anymore. (Some of it too is the government fault for new auto mandates)

View All Quotes
I think the problem is probably the Indian and not the arrow dude. If you’re getting consistently crappy groups from a variety of pistols, you need to shoot more and measure less.

lol

In the time it took to post this you could have shot a box of factory Hornady 180Gn XTP
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:44:40 PM EDT
[#5]

This. That’s driving a car vs flying a plane dude
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

What’s a rifle qualification test got to do with a handgun?

This. That’s driving a car vs flying a plane dude

Guy said I should not own guns.

…at least pistols.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By doty_soty:

Always been very happy with the accuracy of my Glocks. I don’t bench them often because that’s dumb but I will when I’m zeroing an optic or sights. They group far better than most people would think assuming the shooter doesn’t suck.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By doty_soty:
Originally Posted By crazymoose:
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
I mean its a pocket 10mm glock. what did you expect? sub moa?

Glocks actually have pretty good mechanical accuracy, especially in 10mm and .45. It's just hard to get it out of them due to the triggers.

Always been very happy with the accuracy of my Glocks. I don’t bench them often because that’s dumb but I will when I’m zeroing an optic or sights. They group far better than most people would think assuming the shooter doesn’t suck.

Agreed and both my G19s shoot wonderfully.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:46:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Singlestack_Wonder:
Learn how to shoot.
View Quote

Maybe read more?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Clearly the problem is that you're a Californian.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:49:34 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Please never come into my shop.

10 grains of blue dot, 180gr xtp
1.25" coal

It'll shoot.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cschaeff:
OP, I'm not going to bag on your shooting skills, I don't think that's the issue. But there is a lot more to accuracy than just the chamber diameter. I think your best bet is to get a match barrel installed. You shoot good enough to get good results with an improved gun.
View Quote

Ordered a KKM barrel.

If it groups like shit, this thread will slowly fade away.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:52:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:54:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

I was at MCRD or Pendleton back in ‘08 for an educator workshop. Got to shoot the simulator.

It was fun, for the pistol range, one of the Marines asked if I needed a tutorial, told him, “thanks but I got it..”

Ran 2-3 mags through it and the room got quieter, heads started to turn over, granted, these are teachers so not much to talk about.

Got done. Stopped for a second, looked around and the entire room was watching me. A major and a colonel were watching and smiled.

2 young Marines pushed some teachers aside and said, we got this…they shot 1/2 a mag, shot like shit, and moved away from the line.

I don’t shoot competition, I’m sure many can beat me but at the range, I only met 1 other person who could outshoot me with a pistol, he won awards in the Army pistol competition.

So I’m no Jerry Miculek by any stretch but I’m also not a slack jawed basement dweller.
View Quote

I always wanted to be famous.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:56:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By noob5000000:
I just kind of skimmed over the thread, but did you try the ammo in another gun to see how it does?
View Quote

No. Only have one 10mm pistol.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Kolat:

1.25" coal

It'll shoot.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kolat:

1.25" coal

It'll shoot.

You are not my supervisor!

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
CTPT.

I’m sensing a trend here…
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
I would try the gun with factory ammo before sending it back.  A box of CCI or Blazer brass.
CTPT.

I’m sensing a trend here…

Didn’t want to have to buy expensive factory ammo that’s spec’d to 40 s&w.

But I might have to buy a box.

Won’t matter, if it shoots like shit, people will say I’m flinching.

The only flinch I’ve had was shooting full power 45-70 from the bench. Shooting a string of 20 from the bench ain’t fun.

Literally saw stars.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#16]
If anyone is wondering what it's like working at a gun store this is a good example of something that happens regularly. Good look on the KKM barrel OP I've been around a ton of them because they're local and everybody seems to love them. I never inspected most of the guns I got too closely because I firmly believe you can always find an issue if you look hard enough. I'm a big fan of shooting stuff before worrying too much.

Hope it all works out.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I’m a glutton for punishment from gun manufactures. This is the 3rd pistol in 3 years (twice from Colt, now this Glock) that will have to go back to the manufacture, bought new.

Groupings were 8” @ 12 yards using 135gr Nosler and 200gr Montana Bullet Works. Moved COL out, in, tried the full powder charge as recommended by Hodgdon. All were absolute crap groups. Also tried different charges using different COLs.

SAAMI:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170028/IMG_0042_jpeg-3162198.JPG

Glock Perfection.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170028/IMG_0043_jpeg-3162199.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170028/IMG_0039_jpeg-3162200.JPG
View Quote

Don't you need to compare your chamber to chamber drawings instead of the cartridge? There's minimal and maximum dimensions to both.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:09:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
If anyone is wondering what it's like working at a gun store this is a good example of something that happens regularly. Good look on the KKM barrel OP I've been around a ton of them because they're local and everybody seems to love them. I never inspected most of the guns I got too closely because I firmly believe you can always find an issue if you look hard enough. I'm a big fan of shooting stuff before worrying too much.

Hope it all works out.
View Quote

Thanks!

I normally don’t wear velvet gloves and use a magnifying glass to look for issues but

“Only accurate rifles are interesting.”

-Townsend Whelen

I also apply that quote to pistols.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:11:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: curiomatic] [#19]
If you want to know your Glock's chamber dimensions, you'll have to make a chamber casting with Cerrosafe or some similar product. Brownell's sells it.
Glocks are built more for reliability than match accuracy.  I'd be okay with a "loose" chamber if a bear was charging me.
Maybe try a Gen5, G20 with the new and improved barrel?  
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:12:17 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

OMG it is sad that you would write something like this about yourself. You need to get out of your own head once in awhile.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:16:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By curiomatic:
If you want to know your Glock's chamber dimensions, you'll have to make a chamber casting with Cerrosafe or some similar product. Brownell's sells it.
Glocks are built more for reliability than match accuracy. I'd be okay with a "loose" chamber if a bear was charging me.
View Quote

Was going to order cerrosafe but wanted to wait for the KKM barrel.

Only Gen 3 Glocks are allowed in California unless I’m a LEO (which I’m not)

I agree on loose chambers and reliability but after shooting great groups with pistols for years, I cannot accept 8” at 12 yards and no group whatso ever.

Rounds land high, low, left, right and everything in between.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#23]
When you call or send a letter to tell them that their chamber is cut to the wrong drawing, let them know that you're shooting reloads in it too.

They'll put you at the top of the list for warranty work.

You'll be so happy with the way it works out.  

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:21:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SemperGumbi:

OMG it is sad that you would write something like this about yourself. You need to get out of your own head once in awhile.
View All Quotes

GD,

“Your groups suck because you cannot shoot!”

“That’s rifle, where are your pistol scores?”

“Some people should not own guns”

“In all my years of teaching new shooters, it’s not the gun, it’s you.”

“It’s the Indian, not the arrow”

I then defend myself that I can shoot using real life examples.

GD

You guys are insufferable.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:26:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HBPredhunter] [#25]
Measured my glock 20 and it read about the same but that's not the right tool for that.

I can hold a cloverleaf at 10 yards with a rest and Ranger T.  
You can't shoot, you can't reload, or both, or the chamber isn't the problem.

Did you try it off a rest?
And of course you are using jacketed rounds not lead?

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:26:18 AM EDT
[#26]

GD,

GD

View Quote

You can’t believe that post would do anything to help your case. When you started getting into everyone nodding and handing out free handjobs that ship had sailed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By zephyr:
It's a $30 caliper.
View Quote

That has flats on each end measuring the inside of a cylinder. Don't panic yet.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Montana bullet works is a casting company, right?

So you are attempting to shoot lead cast bullets out of a Gen. 3 barrel with polygonal barrel?

Don’t let Glock know.

Let me guess, you have been trying both the cast bullets and JHP Noslers without thoroughly cleaning the bore.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:30:59 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

lol

As has been stated. There is a common denominator here.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Scalped:
Send it back so they can laugh at you
View Quote

This.
Please send it back.
Maybe get mote practice before you do.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:33:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I’m confused - is your concern that the chamber is loose, or that it’s out of round?

I honestly don’t know if two thou is enough of a difference to be an issue, if the chamber is egged along the axis you measured, or if your caliper is accurate enough to be able to reliably measure a difference that small.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:33:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glock63] [#32]
Originally Posted By cschaeff:
OP, I'm not going to bag on your shooting skills, I don't think that's the issue. But there is a lot more to accuracy than just the chamber diameter. I think your best bet is to get a match barrel installed. You shoot good enough to get good results with an improved gun.
View Quote

No, his best bet is to try factory ammo, end of story. Then he can possibly claim there's a mechanical issue with the weapons.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:34:36 AM EDT
[#34]
I remember back in a simpler time when the OP would just rage out and cut the gun into several pieces.  

Come on OP, this one isn’t even hard, it’s polymer.  Get to cutting.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:42:02 AM EDT
[#35]

GD,

GD

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rabidus:  Never got an award for pistol.

GD,

GD

It's GD.  GD is insufferable much of the time.  And then you have very useful threads that go 10s of pages or more.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Burdy is that you?????
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:57:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

It's GD.  GD is insufferable much of the time.  And then you have very useful threads that go 10s of pages or more.
View Quote
You don't measure a bore or hole with calipers if you want really accurate measurements. It has nothing to do with being insufferable.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:58:56 AM EDT
[#38]

I agree on loose chambers and reliability but after shooting great groups with pistols for years, I cannot accept 8” at 12 yards and no group whatso ever.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By curiomatic:
Glocks are built more for reliability than match accuracy. I'd be okay with a "loose" chamber if a bear was charging me.

You should establish your accuracy baseline with good factory ammo and work from there.  When I shot matches with my 1911 where brass retrieval wasn't possible, I used Blazer aluminum case 45 ACP ammo, which worked well in my Colt Series 70.
If your Glock doesn't shoot well with three or four brands of factory ammo, call Glock.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:00:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Those measurements are junk not the barrel.

Anyone suggested shooting factory ammo yet?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:03:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: merick] [#40]

Thanks!

I normally don’t wear velvet gloves and use a magnifying glass to look for issues but

“Only accurate rifles are interesting.”

-Townsend Whelen

I also apply that quote to pistols.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

If you wanted an accurate pistol why did you buy a subcompact 10mm glock?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:08:07 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Did you blade at 45°?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:14:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Average 10mm shooter
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:17:34 AM EDT
[#43]
That's a debated harbor freight. The outside on mine.was dead nuts on compared.to my expensive stuff. The inside was a mere..008 off
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:17:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 556NAT0] [#44]
Just so you all know, this is what it is like working at a gun shop. I literally hear these types of things every day. The only things this thread is missing is a Navy SEAL/CIA spook.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:28:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By boomeruni:

You can’t believe that post would do anything to help your case. When you started getting into everyone nodding and handing out free handjobs that ship had sailed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By boomeruni:

GD,

GD

It was the most proud moment of my shooting life.

A nod and a smile.

I’ll take it.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:59:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By SimonPhoto:
I’m confused - is your concern that the chamber is loose, or that it’s out of round?

I honestly don’t know if two thou is enough of a difference to be an issue, if the chamber is egged along the axis you measured, or if your caliper is accurate enough to be able to reliably measure a difference that small.
View Quote

Is the chamber the result of the poor groups?

Never had this poor groupings before out of any pistol I shot.

That’s why I’m on here. The loose chamber is the only thing I can think of.

It could be me. Sure. I don’t think it is. I’m on here for any possible answers to the groupings other than me.

This is a gun forum. You post something you think is not right and try to get more answers.

Instead it turned into a pissing match that I can’t shoot.

Dog pile even.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:04:37 AM EDT
[#47]

Is the chamber the result of the poor groups?

Never had this poor groupings before out of any pistol I shot.

That’s why I’m on here. The loose chamber is the only thing I can think of.

It could be me. Sure. I don’t think it is. I’m on here for any possible answers to the groupings other than me.

This is a gun forum. You post something you think is not right and try to get more answers.

Instead it turned into a pissing match that I can’t shoot.

Dog pile even.

View Quote

Or you could try factory ammo like a bunch have suggested instead of refusing to acknowledge that your ammo is most likely the issue.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:04:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By mojeb21:

This
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mojeb21:

This

I didn’t get crappy groups from a variety of pistols. This is the only pistol I’ve shot with crappy, down right terrible groups.

The Pythons I’ve never shot. $1600 for chatter dog shit? No thanks. Twice? You gotta be kidding me.

Other issues were with cheap Rossi lever guns. They fixed one and made it right.

Had issues with CZ 527 in 7.62x39. Two rifles also with fail to fire issues. Read on CZ forums I was not the only one.

I think the issue is most people settle with bad guns. They put them away and do t shoot them anymore. They don’t take the time to get them fixed properly or shoot so poorly they can’t tell if it’s them or the gun. Sometimes it’s the gun, sometimes is the person.

I’m on here to try to figure out why this Glock had poor groups.

Never an issue with any other pistol I’ve had. I always found a node with reloads.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:08:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By SuperX925:
Montana bullet works is a casting company, right?

So you are attempting to shoot lead cast bullets out of a Gen. 3 barrel with polygonal barrel?

Don’t let Glock know.

Let me guess, you have been trying both the cast bullets and JHP Noslers without thoroughly cleaning the bore.
View Quote

Nope. Not at all. Had my cleaning kit at the range. Hardcast bullets will not lead in polygonial barrels.

Permitted the bullet is not too small for the bore. The bullets are 22 BHN.

After 4 shots, the barrel had leading. They’re sized to .401”. I need a .402 or .403” cast lead bullet.

Buffalo bore say on their webpage their hard cast bullets are safe for Glock guns/barrels.

Glock says no. Buffalo Bore says yes.

I tried with the OEM barrel. They didn’t work. Will try them again in the KKM barrel.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:10:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
You don't measure a bore or hole with calipers if you want really accurate measurements. It has nothing to do with being insufferable.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
Originally Posted By backbencher:

But assume the poster cannot shoot?

So I had the wrong explanation for the premise of this thread. Other than the shooter, what else can cause poor groups like 8” at 12 yards?

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top