[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Pica is a winner as well
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#2]
.5 or.7 was my goto lead in the 80s
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I vehemently disagree.  The Papermate Sharpwriter is the king of mechanical pencils.  I know they aren't exotic and made in Japan, German, or Switzerland from the bones of a fallen angel.  However, their springy 'lead' is the best.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:40:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:
If you don’t use actual 2mm drafting pencils you’re a slack jawed faggot.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335009/IMG_0016_jpeg-3157013.JPG
View Quote

This man understands! I have 4 "TECH" DA DE-LUX pencils a sharpener and more lead sticks than I will use in my lifetime. They are great mechanical pencils.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefered the Niji's. 0.5 or 0.7 both worked for me.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
Get a pen.
View Quote

Who uses a pencil for anything other than carpentry? Not me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I like Autopoint.  It's a shame they closed the doors.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Is this the same Japanese company that made the Kairos rocket?  Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:15:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Palm] [#9]
Now, let’s talk about pocket protectors. What is a mechanical pencil without a good pocket protector?

On a side note, does the OP have a collection of slide rulers?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

I could never master .3mm  It woul*snap* click click click every time I tried to wri*snap* click click click something down wi*snap* click click click th it and just got annoy*snap* click click click GODDAMNIT! with it and *snap* click click click so then I would just have to start writting really light To try and keep it from doing that. Super annoying. And then I'd try to write dark and *snap* click click click DAMNIT.  

Not to mention .3mm is a bitch on what types of paper

before it just te
                        eararrys right the fuck through *snap* click click click DAMNIT!
View Quote

Pentel Orenz.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

1.3mm for heavy duty.

0.3mm for detail.

0.7mm for balance.

0.5mm and 0.9mm are red headed step children. They simply do not have a legitimate position in a civilized society.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By evilyoda:

This. P209 .9mm is the best size for me to write and sketch things out. Any smaller and the lead breaks too easy.

1.3mm for heavy duty.

0.3mm for detail.

0.7mm for balance.

0.5mm and 0.9mm are red headed step children. They simply do not have a legitimate position in a civilized society.
I'm mostly sketching network and circuit diagrams in a lab/field setting, so I keep several in my pocket, as the different line widths indicate different circuit types.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:04:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArrowheadBulldog] [#12]
While in engineering school, I enjoyed the Pentel Graph Gear 1000, mostly due to the retracting lead sleeve feature. Could carry it in my pants pocket and not stab myself in the thigh, and also helped them last longer because you could only bend the sleeve if you dropped it while using it. Once I got into my upper classes, I splurged on a Rotring 800. Still have that sitting in my pen cup at home.

I don't use pencils for much of anything anymore, I've moved to pens for 99.99% of my writing, because I just don't need to erase anymore. Erasing is actually frowned upon for my current job, it's better to write in pen and strikethrough anything that is a mistake. But, I keep the pencils at home for when I need to sketch something up for a home improvement project, and I love using them for that.

Overall though, my favorite mechanical pencil is one of these bad boys:

Terrible pencil, but it cost me $350, and it was worth every penny. Wife threw it out once while packing when we last moved, and I dug through the trash bin at 11pm that night just to find it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I now have $90+ in pencils in my Amazon cart because of this thread and no fucking idea why. Hate this place sometimes
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:
I now have $90+ in pencils in my Amazon cart because of this thread and no fucking idea why. Hate this place sometimes
View Quote

I'm not a full blown pencil aficionado, but order them somewhere else, when you cull that down to $50 lol

I've got counterfeit pencils delivered from Amazon.  Well known German pencils that, on inspection, were made in India....
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:58:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Osprey61] [#16]
I carried one of these bad boys in my uniform pocket for 26 years. Bonus internet points if you know why.

They're so iconic to the service, this one is in a museum.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#17]
What nerd doesn't have a good slide rule.

I also have obsolete devices for cars.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Jesus this is as bad as 9mm - 45 or beans -no beans.  

By the way I am:
9mm
Beans
And a blue Or yellow Pentel 0.7-0.9.  
0.7 for writing and 0.9 for marking up drawings.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Somewhere I have three (3) Koh-I-Noor mechanical pencils from my early mechanical design days. A 0.3 mm, a 0.5 mm, and a 0.7mm. Used them a couple of years and then transitioned into AutoCAD. I have a Rotring 600 pen in my shirt pocket as I type this.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#20]

1.3mm for heavy duty.

0.3mm for detail.

0.7mm for balance.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By evilyoda:

This. P209 .9mm is the best size for me to write and sketch things out. Any smaller and the lead breaks too easy.

1.3mm for heavy duty.

0.3mm for detail.

0.7mm for balance.

0.5 mm is the most common for non-disposable pencils.  0.3 breaks too easily or wears really fast. 0.7 I see on disposables. I like 0.9 for carpentry*.  I have never heard of let alone seen a 1.3 mm.  

And whoever mentioned marking up prints with a pencil, that is what a red ink pen is for.

*somewhat overstating my skills.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:25:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#21]
Originally Posted By brass:
Nobody else draws in pencil?  

I thought sketching would be common hobby here.  Trying to do something in ink first time is above my drawing skills, though I do use pen and ink (dip pen) to finalize and erase pencil sometimes, most everything from watercolor to oils has at least one pencil/carbon/graphite stage.

View Quote

I used to draw, often (brother followed Mom, and are the real artists in the family. I can’t paint worth a damn ).

Wanted to get back into it recently, so I got a Rotring 600 and 800 (I used 0.5mm mechanical pencils for sketching/drawing, back in the day). Nope.

Used to use a Faber-Castell TK-Matic in the 80s (don’t know what happened to it), but I can’t remember the brand of 2B lead (Pilot, maybe? Wasn’t Pentel).

My grail back then, was the Titanium Alpha-Matic. Just found one NIB on the bay, last year. Dang they’re going for quite a mint. Oh well…

*** for my preferences, I hated spring loaded lead. The TK-Matic and Alpha-Matic auto-advancing designs were preferable for stencil/drafting use, back then.

The tip of the pencil was spring loaded, so when you drew a line with it, as the lead wore down, the spring loaded tip would recede while continuing to allow the lead to draw a line (keeping the lead even with either the thin barrel tip of the TK-Matic which was meant for stencils and drafting, or the pen tip of the Alpha-Matic which was made more for writing/drawing, and not poking holes through shirt pockets). When you lifted the lead off the paper, the spring loaded barrel/tip would then automatically advance the lead, as the spring pushed the tip out again.

For drawing purposes, though, I preferred to click the button to advance the lead ~1.5mm, as the added friction of the metal barrel on the paper was noticeable, compared to the smooth 2B lead, especially when shading (and the metal tips could show scratches in the shading, when used for drawing).
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#22]

I could never master .3mm  It woul*snap* click click click every time I tried to wri*snap* click click click something down wi*snap* click click click th it and just got annoy*snap* click click click GODDAMNIT! with it and *snap* click click click so then I would just have to start writting really light To try and keep it from doing that. Super annoying. And then I'd try to write dark and *snap* click click click DAMNIT.  

before it just te
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
Originally Posted By mamacujo:
Originally Posted By 50cal:
I write too hard to use a thin leaded pencil like that. I would be replacing leads at a furious rate.

Me too. I like .7mm

They come in .7mm

.7mm is the .40 cal of the mechanical pencil world.  Seems like a good compromise idea; but in end it just the brings forth the worst aspects of both worlds - not the best.

.3mm life

before it just te

0.3mm was fine for drafting and using stencils, where the pencil was more perpendicular to the paper.

For writing/drawing etc. where the pencil is at an angle, 0.5mm was undoubtedly better.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:32:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: curiomatic] [#23]
Originally Posted By Taom:

CAD, (computer-aided design) has been around for a long time, 2D and 3D, I started using it in mid 80's, so there shouldn't be much need for a mechanical pencil anymore.
I don't know of anyone who would use one to make a design drawing, maybe just some quick sketches or note-taking.
View Quote

When I did welding and fabrication, I worked off of stacks of blueprints and "quick sketches".  I would rather work off of a quick sketch made by someone who knows what they're doing than a CAD generated print made by someone who doesn't know what they're doing.  Being able to sketch a good working drawing for a simple project, with a straight edge and a note pad, is a skill that I can appreciate.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm more of 0.5mm man myself.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow.  That's a lot of deep thought over a pencil.  I just bought them and used them.

Maybe now we could think more deeply about the origins of string.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm more into pens, but would certainly be willing to try one of the pencils OP recommends.

Are mechanical pencils going to be as bad of a "rabbit hole" to go down as fountain pens/inks/nibs/paper are?  I never intended to learn so much about so many different things, I just wanted a cool pen...
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I’ve been using a Staedtler 925-25-07 for the last 5 years or so.  It’s treated me well.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Glynn863:
Somewhere I have three (3) Koh-I-Noor mechanical pencils from my early mechanical design days. A 0.3 mm, a 0.5 mm, and a 0.7mm. Used them a couple of years and then transitioned into AutoCAD. I have a Rotring 600 pen in my shirt pocket as I type this.
View Quote

Koh-I-Noor made some of the best pens for technical drawing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:11:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Bigdog] [#29]

You may as well just go all the way

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#30]
0.3mm is a bit thin for my likes... 0.5 for office work, and 0.7/0.9 for my shop.
But I don't want to spend a billion dollars.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:13:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#31]
Originally Posted By not_sure:

0.5 mm is the most common for non-disposable pencils.  0.3 breaks too easily or wears really fast. 0.7 I see on disposables. I like 0.9 for carpentry*.  I have never heard of let alone seen a 1.3 mm.  

And whoever mentioned marking up prints with a pencil, that is what a red ink pen is for.

View Quote

Yep, I have quite a few 1.3mm. They even make a 2.0mm, though I don't own any (I have seen them in the wild though).

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Reminds me of the graphite pencils he used to use in drafting class. Sit over here, be quiet,  uses this neat pencil sharpener on the desk!
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Yep, I have quite a few 1.3mm. They even make a 2.0mm, though I don't own any (I have seen them in the wild though).

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/1000009741-3158059.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By not_sure:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/1000009741-3158059.jpg

I have seen and even played with the 2.0 lead holders. You still to sharpen the things, screw that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:03:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-60] [#34]
Originally Posted By Osprey61:
I carried one of these bad boys in my uniform pocket for 26 years. Bonus internet points if you know why.

They're so iconic to the service, this one is in a museum.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/457055/pencil_jpg-3157913.JPG
View Quote

The aircraft grounder.

Had one myself back in the day.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:09:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-60] [#35]
Originally Posted By Glynn863:
View Quote

Like this one?

I think this one is almost 40 years old.  

That being said, This is my current go to and has been for years and years.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#36]
What is this, a pencil for ants?

0.7mm or bust
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By QwikKotaTx:
What is this, a pencil for ants?

0.7mm or bust
View Quote

Clever - nicely done.

I personally prefer 0.5mm, but that kind of cracked me up.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#38]

They haven’t probably been made since the early 2000’s.
View Quote

Makes sense.  I had them mid to late 80’s.  Were a fad to have them in school.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:44:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:57:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By trails-end:
I like Autopoint.  It's a shame they closed the doors.
View Quote

A man of class, I see.

Drafting is best left to Autocad.

My daily driver is a "For real thin lead" 0.9mm, or various Musgrave wood pencils.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:59:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Pilot G2 enters the chat
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:07:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:08:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:18:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:30:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:35:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:44:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:09:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:49:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:16:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: trails-end] [#50]
Originally Posted By brass:

You were doing so good, too.  

HP15c
HP42s
HP48sx
HP48g

RPN FTW.  /Calculator Discussion

View Quote

It's too bad they killed RPN.  I have 2 NIB HP 32SII for when my other 5 HP RPN calculators die.  I don't do much
excapt +-*/, but I have to stop and think when I have to use a non RPN machine.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top