BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -CUJO-:

This.  Interesting that your picture shows a blue .5mm.  I thought those were .7mm and the black ones were .5mm?  I prefer the .7mm myself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -CUJO-:
Originally Posted By VACaver:
I still use my Pentel that I bought in 1979. Can't beat it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/100647/Pentel_jpeg-3156966.JPG

This.  Interesting that your picture shows a blue .5mm.  I thought those were .7mm and the black ones were .5mm?  I prefer the .7mm myself.

I have a blue P207 .07 and a black P205 0.5 sitting in front of me. Good catch on the pic. Maybe they changed the colors up or something?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SuperStormBryan:

2mm lead holder, also called a technical pencil, clutch pencil.  The sharpener is called a "lead pointer".

I love them.  They used to use them a lot because those pointers could get that lead super sharp.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By smokie:
My grandfather was a draftsman back in the 50's through the 80's. I have his pencils and sharpener, they didn't use those tiny leads, it was a stout 3/32ish sized graphite and it used a special sharpener to get it to a needle point.

2mm lead holder, also called a technical pencil, clutch pencil.  The sharpener is called a "lead pointer".

I love them.  They used to use them a lot because those pointers could get that lead super sharp.
The point they create is insane, yup! The stand my grandfather used to use had a little piece of foam that he would stab it into after sharpening to make it actually useable lol.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:
If you don’t use actual 2mm drafting pencils you’re a slack jawed faggot.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335009/IMG_0016_jpeg-3157013.JPG
View Quote

This,  I remember version's  of these for drafting class,  you spun out  
A little graphite and made a tip for class.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By not_sure:

Pentels work great for rewinding cassette tapes.
View Quote

FACTS!
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:55:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#5]
Meh, just a Pentel k12 for me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
This ^
The only pencil a man uses looks like this.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/522423/96927_Carpenters_Pencil_HARD_2514eb02-03-3157105.jpg
View Quote

The only use for that pencil is to hold the stupid guard of the circular saw open.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#7]
The point they create is insane, yup! The stand my grandfather used to use had a little piece of foam that he would stab it into after sharpening to make it actually useable lol.
View Quote

The foam is really good for removing the dust that remains on it after sharpening it, so the first time you put it to paper the dust won't fall off on to your work.  It one of those things you'd do if your work needed to be super neat and tidy.

I just wipe the dust off on the back of my hand lol.

I'm introducing my kids to lead holders now they they're old enough to use them and not just play around and break all my leads.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Rotring for me.
Made a cap for it.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I used Pentel pencils my whole career and I still have two at my desk - 0.7mm and 0.5mm. I don't think this is a better mousetrap. Rapidesign is also a venerable engineering tools brand so I'm sure the pencil is of excellent quality.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:37:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 545days] [#13]
In this we see who has never used a double knock pencil. (a type of mechanical pencil mechanism, not a brand name.)

Double-Knock_mechanism
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Spacejunk:
I have several of those, but no way I'd use 0.3 lead.
View Quote

If you need it, it's a godsend. Takes a lot of practice not to break it every five seconds at first though.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I threw away all my mechanical pencils the day that Autocad was invented.

Never looked back.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I preferred lead holders and a lead sharpener.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#17]
All of these are superior Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Dano523:
Someone is really dating themselves, talking about drafting stencil mechanical pencils, which really boils down to the collar tip able to hold up to stencil use, without it being damage from such use.

Hate to say it, but my drawing gear has been collecting dust for decades every since Mac first offered Claris CAD , and now just use Autocad to draft on mac's and window's machines instead.

Hell what is next, and are we going to debate the best technical pen nibs as for old school hand drawn drafting as well?
View Quote

We still keep notes in the field.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By bayouhazard:
For me, it's the McPencil. The best mechanical pencil. I even ask for extra McPencil lead refills and the staff is so friendly and more than willing to oblige.

One time I asked for McPencil lead refills and they gave me three. I said, "Wow, three for free!" and the nice friendly McOffice worker laughed and said, "I'm going to call you 3-for-free!".

Now the staff greets me with "hey it's 3-for-free!" and ALWAYS give me three lead refills. It's such a fun and cool atmosphere at my local McOffice store, I go there at least 3 times a week for office supplies and a large iced coffee with milk instead of cream, 1-2 times for photocopies on the weekend, and maybe once a week for a USB drive when I'm in a rush but want great file storage that is affordable, fast, and can match my backup needs.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 545days:
In this we see who has never used a double knock pencil. (a type of mechanical pencil mechanism, not a brand name.)

Double-Knock_mechanism
View Quote

It would appear you missed my own posts.

Because this tech, is indeed, best tech
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BikerNut:
I have dozens that I used in college up to 1978 and on the job thereafter.

Adobe Illustrator put them all into retirement in 1988. Still have them, and boxes of other extinct art tools.
View Quote

Yup, software retired all my drafting tools from college.  There all sitting in an old tackle box with my dad's and FIL's old stuff as well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I love mine.  Have the whole set and they did a ton of drafting years ago.  

I pulled them out last year and the plastic is tacky from decomposing.  I hate to say it, but they are probably going in the can next time I open the box o' drafting implements.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:38:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#26]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll stick with my Zebra M701 thank you
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 50cal:
I write too hard to use a thin leaded pencil like that. I would be replacing leads at a furious rate.
View Quote

Me too. I like .7mm
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Japan does make some kick ass mechanical pencils that put anything readily available here to shame.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:59:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

They come in .7mm
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mamacujo:
I write too hard to use a thin leaded pencil like that. I would be replacing leads at a furious rate.

Me too. I like .7mm

They come in .7mm

.7mm is the .40 cal of the mechanical pencil world.  Seems like a good compromise idea; but in end it just the brings forth the worst aspects of both worlds - not the best.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:05:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:11:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARandomClaymore] [#33]

Don't forget the metal eraser plates.

Those rich mother f@ckers had the electrical eraser.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#34]

.3mm life
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Originally Posted By mamacujo:

Me too. I like .7mm

They come in .7mm

.7mm is the .40 cal of the mechanical pencil world.  Seems like a good compromise idea; but in end it just the brings forth the worst aspects of both worlds - not the best.

.3mm life

I could never master .3mm  It woul*snap* click click click every time I tried to wri*snap* click click click something down wi*snap* click click click th it and just got annoy*snap* click click click GODDAMNIT! with it and *snap* click click click so then I would just have to start writting really light To try and keep it from doing that. Super annoying. And then I'd try to write dark and *snap* click click click DAMNIT.  

Not to mention .3mm is a bitch on what types of paper

before it just te
                        eararrys right the fuck through *snap* click click click DAMNIT!
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:30:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:31:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:14:26 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm going to have to dissent.

Autograph - Turn up the Radio
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:28:29 AM EDT
[#38]

This. P209 .9mm is the best size for me to write and sketch things out. Any smaller and the lead breaks too easy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:41:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:54:06 AM EDT
[#40]

I could never master .3mm  It woul*snap* click click click every time I tried to wri*snap* click click click something down wi*snap* click click click th it and just got annoy*snap* click click click GODDAMNIT! with it and *snap* click click click so then I would just have to start writting really light To try and keep it from doing that. Super annoying. And then I'd try to write dark and *snap* click click click DAMNIT.  

before it just te
View Quote

This post gave me AIDS. Nicely done.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:57:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By evilyoda:

This. P209 .9mm is the best size for me to write and sketch things out. Any smaller and the lead breaks too easy.
View Quote

1.3mm for heavy duty.

0.3mm for detail.

0.7mm for balance.

0.5mm and 0.9mm are red headed step children. They simply do not have a legitimate position in a civilized society.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:16:04 AM EDT
[#42]
" />
" />
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:33:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#43]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:52:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Krombompulos_Michael] [#44]
Pentel P205
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:28:25 AM EDT
[#45]
They are not all .3mm.

Behold.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12422/IMG_1682-3156840.jpg
View Quote

I was not aware it was possible to design a pencil that ugly.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

1.3mm for heavy duty.

0.3mm for detail.

0.7mm for balance.

0.5mm and 0.9mm are red headed step children. They simply do not have a legitimate position in a civilized society.
View Quote

No one needs more than .5 mm!
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:42:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#47]
Originally Posted By brass:

The "Lead Holders" he is speaking of, 2mm, are the only size that offers every hardness available except 12B and 14B since those are "Trade Names" for the no-shine carbon black of Faber Castell and Blackwing premium pencils, 8B-8H is the usual range, with HB right in the middle which is what is used in a #2 pencil.  B is softer (Blacker), the bigger the number the darker it goes on and harder to erase, H are harder and increasing in hardness from HB to 8H

2mm leads of good quality are cheap so it isn't a problem to custom create apencil tip or some desired effect like a rake, rather than a traditional single super fine point line.

Most people prefer 2B to 4B lead if they find it and only use HB if that's all they can get their hands on, it writes a little light if only stroking each line/letter a single time.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By brass:
My grandfather was a draftsman back in the 50's through the 80's. I have his pencils and sharpener, they didn't use those tiny leads, it was a stout 3/32ish sized graphite and it used a special sharpener to get it to a needle point.

I love them.  They used to use them a lot because those pointers could get that lead super sharp with hard leads on pointer's grinders and not have to shave wood.  Good stuff.

The "Lead Holders" he is speaking of, 2mm, are the only size that offers every hardness available except 12B and 14B since those are "Trade Names" for the no-shine carbon black of Faber Castell and Blackwing premium pencils, 8B-8H is the usual range, with HB right in the middle which is what is used in a #2 pencil.  B is softer (Blacker), the bigger the number the darker it goes on and harder to erase, H are harder and increasing in hardness from HB to 8H

2mm leads of good quality are cheap so it isn't a problem to custom create apencil tip or some desired effect like a rake, rather than a traditional single super fine point line.

Most people prefer 2B to 4B lead if they find it and only use HB if that's all they can get their hands on, it writes a little light if only stroking each line/letter a single time.

This is an excellent summary and what I remember from drafting class in high school, 1973 was the first year I started drafting class, 10th grade.  Not to brag but I was very good at drafting and did so well, my teacher pulled me aside and said he had a friend who was an architect and was looking for some "just starting out draftsmen" to work after school.  That was my part time job and it was nice.  My friends were making $2.00 working minimum wage and I was making $5.25 an hour.  For a 10th grader in 1973 I was rolling in cash
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:50:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Taom] [#48]
The Berol Rapidesign.

Made in Japan.

The Berol Rapidesign Mechanical 0.3mm Pencil stands as a marvel of precision and durability, beloved by architects, engineers, and artists alike for its meticulous detail and reliable performance. This pencil's slender 0.3mm lead allows for exceptionally fine lines, making it an indispensable tool for drafting, technical drawing, and intricate sketching where accuracy is paramount. Its robust construction ensures a comfortable, steady grip, enhancing control and reducing fatigue during prolonged use. Furthermore, the Berol Rapidesign's mechanical nature means a constant sharp point without the need for sharpening, ensuring uninterrupted workflow and a consistent line quality that professionals demand. With its blend of precision engineering and ease of use, the Berol Rapidesign Mechanical 0.3mm Pencil embodies the pinnacle of drafting pencil design, earning its place as a wonder in the realms of design and illustration tools.
View Quote
View Quote

CAD, (computer-aided design) has been around for a long time, 2D and 3D, I started using it in mid 80's, so there shouldn't be much need for a mechanical pencil anymore.
I don't know of anyone who would use one to make a design drawing, maybe just some quick sketches or note-taking.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:13:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#49]

before it just te
View Quote

I bet that post took 20min to type up.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:26:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Papermate Advanced .7 and a Rite in the Rain Spiral go everywhere with me.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top