User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
That's a Garmin GNS-480.
View Quote

Thanks.  I thought it looked pretty Garmin-ish.

Kinda like my 430W just missing some buttons
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#2]
OP you're moving along nicely.  I myself could never trust my life to something like this that I built.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:18:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: clayvt] [#3]
Spent the last day or so cleaning up and prepping the edges of the vertical stabilizer.

Went to harbor fright yesterday to get the spray gun and a few accessories to set up a filter/dryer for my compressor.
HF had 2 filter systems. One was $69 and one $99. I was going to get the $69 because obviously it’s cheaper. But when I went they were out of the $69 one so I said screw it and got the $99 one. Thinking the only reason the $99 one was more because it came with a regulator and gauge.

Well, I get home crack it open and realize it’s not a filter/drier. It’s a filter/lubricator…the exact opposite of what I need. Hopefully HF will take it back with torn apart packaging.

So today it’s off to a different one which says they have the drier in stock plus the HF “3M” paint cup system in stock as well. Mine did not have them either.

Picked up some pvc to make a rudimentary collapsible part stand so I’ll get that built today as well. Then I guess it’s onto prepping some scrap material and try my hand at spraying some primer! I picked up Stewart suystems ekoetch for the cleaner/etcher. A lot of folks have also suggested using bon ami cleaner as well before the eko etch so I’ll try and find some of that. Comet and Ajax are out since they contain bleach.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By clayvt:
Spent the last day or so cleaning up and prepping the edges of the vertical stabilizer.

Went to harbor fright yesterday to get the spray gun and a few accessories to set up a filter/dryer for my compressor.
HF had 2 filter systems. One was $69 and one $99. I was going to get the $69 because obviously it's cheaper. But when I went they were out of the $69 one so I said screw it and got the $99 one. Thinking the only reason the $99 one was more because it came with a regulator and gauge.

Well, I get home crack it open and realize it's not a filter/drier. It's a filter/lubricator the exact opposite of what I need. Hopefully HF will take it back with torn apart packaging.

So today it's off to a different one which says they have the drier in stock plus the HF "3M" paint cup system in stock as well. Mine did not have them either.

Picked up some pvc to make a rudimentary collapsible part stand so I'll get that built today as well. Then I guess it's onto prepping some scrap material and try my hand at spraying some primer! I picked up Stewart suystems ekoetch for the cleaner/etcher. A lot of folks have also suggested using bon ami cleaner as well before the eko etch so I'll try and find some of that. Comet and Ajax are out since they contain bleach.
View Quote

I used Alumiprep-33 on all of my parts before I alodined or primed them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:

I used Alumiprep-33 on all of my parts before I alodined or primed them.
View Quote

Etch cleaner for aluminum is getting to be a pain to find. The good stuff that I used to buy has gone away. Sometimes you find PPG dx533 or Axalta 13204S. A good alternative is Metaflex SP1050 from Akzonobel. It's water based work very well.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:29:37 PM EDT
[#6]
First test pieces with the primer. It’s a piece of a practice kit the guy I bought the tools from threw in. It was incomplete so I got some scrap.

Anyways, I spent most of today setting up the air system and had to wait for ups to drop off some high flow adapters since all of my local stores were out. And places wonder why folks turn to Amazon…

Had the gun set at about 25psi and it was a decent pattern once I remembered the gun has a side fan control. Couldn’t figure out why it was just spraying a dot for a little bit.

The little piece was dry to the touch in about 5 min but light in a few spots.

I’m using the bigger piece for 2 experiments. The first is to see the difference between just straight ekoetch on one half and ekoetch plus a scuffing on the other.
Then the second is I’m timing cure time and will start dimpling every few hours to see how long it needs to cure in my environment before I can start dimpling and not ruin the primer.

This stuff stinks way less than even regular ole spray paint! I think just a filtered fan to blow out the dust will be sufficient. I’m still going to wear a respirator though.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:07:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, please wear a respirator. Even though it doesn’t stink as much, it still is not good for you. Maybe even a little worse.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 3:25:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#8]
I used NAPA self-etching primer for all priming and to this day I use SEM Sem-Solv 38373 as final cleaning before priming anything.   Both work great.

clean

prime

IME, unless you're priming a bunch of stuff at once, all the pre-setup and post-cleaning of the gun isn't worth the effort, so I mostly use rattle cans for small jobs.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#10]
What kind of primer are you spraying?

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By UV18:

View Quote

Stewart systems Ekoprime
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Stewart systems Ekoprime
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Stewart systems Ekoprime

how that compares to alodine?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By midcap:

how that compares to alodine?
View Quote

Alodine is a chemical coating that goes onto the metal and is a very thin layer. You look at it funny and corrosion will eat it.

I have never seen their white paint line and was wondering what it was. The only white primer I have been using is a weird Navy mil-spec one that  has been super durable on the floatplane but it is thick and overkill for normal application.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#14]
John Hartford Tony Rice Vassar Clements "Steam Powered Aereoplane"
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By hbilly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN0iOkMNZqQ
View Quote

I like it!
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Alodine is a chemical coating that goes onto the metal and is a very thin layer. You look at it funny and corrosion will eat it.

I have never seen their white paint line and was wondering what it was. The only white primer I have been using is a weird Navy mil-spec one that  has been super durable on the floatplane but it is thick and overkill for normal application.
View Quote

Alodine is even harder to come by these days. A lot of shops have moved away from it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Etched/cleaned and drying.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I’ll give these about 12 hours before dimpling and riveting.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
I used NAPA self-etching primer for all priming and to this day I use SEM Sem-Solv 38373 as final cleaning before priming anything.   Both work great.

clean

prime

IME, unless you're priming a bunch of stuff at once, all the pre-setup and post-cleaning of the gun isn't worth the effort, so I mostly use rattle cans for small jobs.
View Quote

Small jobs? Pfft.

I watched a SSgt rattle can an entire AH-1Z back in 2019.

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 4:57:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#20]
I’ll give these about 12 hours before dimpling and riveting.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207473/IMG_5877_jpeg-3166324.JPG
View Quote

Why rush it?  Has it achieved its near full cure in that time?

On the engine..minimum 180 HP and a constant speed prop is a huge asset.  Not a ground adjustable prop.  Hartzell or similar.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

Why rush it?  Has it achieved its near full cure in that time?

On the engine..minimum 180 HP and a constant speed prop is a huge asset.  Not a ground adjustable prop.  Hartzell or similar.
View Quote

The instructions don’t give a full cure time. It just says dry for top coat in 2-3 hours.
When I dimpled my test piece last night I didn’t see any chipping or flaking after just 2 hours. So I figure I’ll just let em sit for 12 hours for good measure.

I had other things to do in the meantime. I cleaned up the edges of the horizontal stab pieces so they are ready to go when I get the new front spars.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Not sure why you're priming, then dimpling.   I'd highly recommend doing the priming AFTER the dimpling.   Last step before riveting.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
Not sure why you're priming, then dimpling.   I'd highly recommend doing the priming AFTER the dimpling.   Last step before riveting.
View Quote

I agree. With tool contact and metal warpage, I would prime afterwards.

You aren't going to be in a hazardous area for corrosion, which is a good thing anyways.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:21:11 AM EDT
[#24]
From what I’ve seen a bunch of folks clean/prime first so the scrubbing pads/ knuckles or whatever don’t keep getting caught on the dimples.

But I guess I could try it the other way for the horizontal stab.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#25]
You lost me at “low wing has the wing in the right location “ I’ve never seen a bird in the sky flying with a low wing yet…. Good luck with your build. It’s commitment for sure. I do back country style flying and camping. Love my 172 on big gear, but I’m building a PA-12 Bush plane as we speak. RV’s are neat kits. Assuming hours isnt one of the laser cut parts fiasco.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#26]
First official rivets set!
Good thing I picked up the flange yoke for the squeezer.
I only had to drill out on 470 rivet which went smoothly, no damage to the hole.

I thought I liked the look of the green primers with the rivets, but now I’m really liking the dark grey with the rivets.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By serbu50:
You lost me at “low wing has the wing in the right location “ I’ve never seen a bird in the sky flying with a low wing yet…. Good luck with your build. It’s commitment for sure. I do back country style flying and camping. Love my 172 on big gear, but I’m building a PA-12 Bush plane as we speak. RV’s are neat kits. Assuming hours isnt one of the laser cut parts fiasco.
View Quote

The kit does have a few LCP’s but I’ve decided to press on.
After watching their engineering analysis I’m comfortable using them.

If you have 2 hours to spare, it’s pretty interesting. They kind of discovered why cracks actually happen in the first place. Id be surprised if they didn’t publish a white paper on it.

Van's Engineering Presentation - Laser Cut Parts

KITPLANES Roundtable on Van's Laser-Cut Parts Tech Briefing

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Looking good.

A guy in the second video, Paul Dye, was chief flight director for the shuttle program.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#29]
My father's good friend had a Vans Air and was building a second one. He was very active on Vansairforce and flew it to Oshkosh a few times.

He is in the memorial part of the forum now after he pushed the RV7 past it's limits.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By vipersbyms:
My father's good friend had a Vans Air and was building a second one. He was very active on Vansairforce and flew it to Oshkosh a few times.

He is in the memorial part of the forum now after he pushed the RV7 past it's limits.
View Quote

I’m sorry to hear that…
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Question for anyone that might know, when the plans say to leave a hole open for a fairing does that mean it should not be dimpled? Obviously no rivet in there but I don’t know about the dimple.

Also, if I were to want to use nutplates instead of the pulled rivets I’m guessing now is the time to make that decision and put them in as once the skin is on it’s pretty much impossible to do later?
Am I correct in thinking that?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Question for anyone that might know, when the plans say to leave a hole open for a fairing does that mean it should not be dimpled? Obviously no rivet in there but I don’t know about the dimple.

Also, if I were to want to use nutplates instead of the pulled rivets I’m guessing now is the time to make that decision and put them in as once the skin is on it’s pretty much impossible to do later?
Am I correct in thinking that?
View Quote

Yes, leave some holes open for attaching the fairing. You’ll end up putting nut plates there. Plenty of room to install them at any time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

Wiring isn’t that hard and a lot of the avionics manufacturers include harnesses so it’s not that much work in the grand scheme of things.

I’d probably go with Dynon if I built something, my dad has double glass Dynons in his airplane and they have worked really well.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:
Originally Posted By cda97:

Good luck

Wiring isn’t that hard and a lot of the avionics manufacturers include harnesses so it’s not that much work in the grand scheme of things.

I’d probably go with Dynon if I built something, my dad has double glass Dynons in his airplane and they have worked really well.

The best part about building a new plane is you don't have to contend with 50 years of old wire left over and never removed. This is a T-41B I had to rewire that had stuff left over from Army and DEA, took forever.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I’m not a light airplane guy but I love watching builds like this! I really respect the patience and attention to detail you guys have.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#35]
First official rivets set!
Good thing I picked up the flange yoke for the squeezer.
I only had to drill out on 470 rivet which went smoothly, no damage to the hole.

I thought I liked the look of the green primers with the rivets, but now I’m really liking the dark grey with the rivets.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207473/IMG_5882_jpeg-3166895.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207473/IMG_5883_jpeg-3166896.JPG
View Quote

Squeezing is cheating!!!

Buck all things!

And a bucking tip- use masking/duct tape on the head of the gun side. You can do it for the squeezer too. It will help with metal marks on the rivets IF it is in a place where you want to defects or it is going to show and you aren't going to paint it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Squeezing is cheating!!!

Buck all things!

And a bucking tip- use masking/duct tape on the head of the gun side. You can do it for the squeezer too. It will help with metal marks on the rivets IF it is in a place where you want to defects or it is going to show and you aren't going to paint it.
View Quote

I'll squeeze anything the squeezer will reach.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RV8guy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RV8guy:

Squeezing is cheating!!!

Buck all things!

Yep!
My squeezers have never left a 'smiley'...
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks a lot USPS…
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Squeezing is cheating!!!

Buck all things!

View Quote

Well, you’ll be happy to know I’m about to buck!
Really not looking forward to it…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
Oh Shit!
That sucks!!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:23:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Sky] [#41]

Well, you'll be happy to know I'm about to buck!
Really not looking forward to it

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207473/IMG_5885_jpeg-3167457.JPG
View Quote
Stab lookin' good.
Start riveting on the bottom side to get the feel of it before attacking the top side...
And you WILL need to find a bucking buddy that you can work well with when it comes to the fuselage and wings.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#42]
First set of hand bucked rivets came out without any dents in the skin. I’m quite pleased with myself. Now I just have to make sure I don’t get cocky/overconfident and slip up.
It took me a little bit to figure out what I thought the best order of operations should be so everything could be reached/not box myself in.

On to the other side.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I’ve had more than customer say to me “can you help me out here? I had my wife helping me buck rivets” Your wife huh? Sure thing. I’ll make those elephant tracks go away. lol
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#44]
I’m planning on having my retired neighbor help out. He’s the president of the local RC club and has been building RC planes for 40 years. So he can at least read a set of plans.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I’m planning on having my retired neighbor help out. He’s the president of the local RC club and has been building RC planes for 40 years. So he can at least read a set of plans.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#47]
3 round burst!
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:05:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: clayvt] [#48]
Dang! Stupid internet glitched out

I just really wanted to drive the point home that I have a rivet buddy on standby.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:57:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARHank] [#49]
Dang! Stupid internet glitched out

I just really wanted to drive the point home that I have a rivet buddy on standby.
View Quote
Exercise a little more trigger control on the air hammer than you do on the mouse.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:46:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: clayvt] [#50]
One shiny completed (minus 2 rivets) vertical stabilizer!
The 2 rivets are either going to need a thin bucking bar or a thin nose yoke. I’ll probably go with the thin nose yoke since I’ve read it’ll be useful in lots of other places along the way.
Probably going to start on the rudder next since I can’t do the horizontal stab till I get a new set of front spars. Thanks again USPS.

(Ignore the drywall patches…I’ll get to them someday)

Attachment Attached File
Page / 5
Top Top