Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I was on the eternal debate of prime or not prime.
I currently live in NM so not priming shouldn’t be a problem. Plus I’ll save some weight.

The problem lies in the fact that when I retire in 5 years I don’t know where I’ll end up. I would love to go back to New England, but I don’t know. I know for sure I won’t be here. So I figured it’d be prudent now to just prime the darn thing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:59:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By clayvt:
Spent about 1.5 hours sanding and getting a good radius on the stiffeners.
I went at it with mostly 220 and then red scotchbrite.
There are a few areas that have some deeper scratches than I'm going to have to attend to before priming. Which is fine since my primer hasn't even shipped yet :/.
I ordered through aircraft spruce and got a call that it would be drop shipped from Stewart Systems. Should have just ordered direct.
Oh well.
Going to keep trucking forward match drilling and deburring.

I also whipped up a 3D printed template for the end 1/4" radius on the stiffeners. Worked out quite well. I'm curious how else my printer might be of use during this project.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207473/IMG_5846_jpeg-3161272.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207473/IMG_5844_jpeg-3161269.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207473/IMG_5845_jpeg-3161271.JPG
View Quote
For all your sanding, edge deburring, scratches, polishing, smoothing, etc needs, I HIGHLY recommend getting a HF buffer motor and putting 6" Scotchbrite wheels on it.   One medium, one fine.   After getting this setup for plane building, I use it all the time for many projects.  In fact, I use it so much that I wore out the original set of wheels I got for it and am now on my second set.

the medium wheel on the right is a 7a med and the fine wheel is a 7s fine.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AeroE:

or a spray in corrosion protection product after the airplane is assembled.

View Quote

And the exterior is painted. 87% of people don't do this correctly and use way, way, way to much product. Using to much will ruin the ability to nicely paint the exterior for years.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Parts for the horizontal stab rear spar are cleaned up and match drilled so now it on to the front spar!  Service bulletin doublers are match drilled and the 6 degree bend has been made to allow to spar to sweep back nicely.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Neat.  Subscribed.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#7]
A friend is working on  a  RV10.    He is  using a quick build facility.   Having trouble getting an  engine though.  Ordered over 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By rleonard:
A friend is working on  a  RV10.    He is  using a quick build facility.   Having trouble getting an  engine though.  Ordered over 2 years ago.
View Quote
That reminds me - each RV kit serial number is (or was) entitled to ONE discounted Lycoming engine through Van's.   Assuming one hasn't yet been ordered against your kit s/n, I'd suggest getting that order in soon, for several reasons.    And never consider, even for one second, any alternative engine, such as an auto conversion.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Marky244:
Please look into Van's financial situation before you spend anymore money. There is a very good chance they won't be around for long

Edit, never mind I see its a used kit. But keep in mind if you need parts, they may not be around to make them.

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=223824
View Quote

I talked to a few people I met at a Christmas party about that, at the time they were not sure what was going to happen.  Great company but a few bad choices might have done them in.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice.

I think Vans will be fine, one way or the other.

Will be interesting to see what happens if MOSAIC becomes a thing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#11]
First call to vans to order replacement parts…
The website said the HS-702 front spar was on back order so I called to put in a back order but they apparently had some in stock! So hopefully it won’t take too long.
Going to switch to the vertical stab while I wait.

I have to replace both parts of the front spar because I’m not happy with how the original owner did a few cuts.
The plans call for the trimming of a flange but to cut it at the mid-point of the radius and then flatten.
It looks like he just cut it flush which has the material there way too thin for my liking. It’s almost razor sharp.

This is far as the previous owner got so once I get the new ones it will be all me going forward.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:57:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: clayvt] [#12]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
That reminds me - each RV kit serial number is (or was) entitled to ONE discounted Lycoming engine through Van's.   Assuming one hasn't yet been ordered against your kit s/n, I'd suggest getting that order in soon, for several reasons.    And never consider, even for one second, any alternative engine, such as an auto conversion.
View Quote

It’s sounding like lycoming is 48-36 months out on production. I’m still 3-4 years from needing an engine so I was going to give it a year or so and see how they look at that time.
Another option that has a much shorter lead time and uses the same mount/cowling is continental’s titan experimental line.
Or heck if I win the lottery there’s the delta hawk diesel/jet A that’s coming on line…for 100K…
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Take it from experience—design your panel last.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#14]
And wire aint that heavy—leave extra runs and pull strings
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By dahugo:
View Quote

Noted. But I have been looking and probably  going to go with a single screen dynon or grt single comm (for now), autopilot, and standby steam airspeed and alt setup and use a ram mounted iPad for the moving map/adsb in.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want a RV-7A, you  may be able to convert this kit to that configuration.  Different parts may be needed but depending upon which parts it might be worth it.  Example:  The main landing gear is further back in a -7A than the taildragger version.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah it’s not too late. I would need a new engine mount and the gear weldments that go on the floorboard.
But I think I’m going to keep it a taildragger. They look better and it gives coolness points.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Taildragger is best dragger. Are you going to do a tip up or a slider?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Fiery crash isn’t the worst way to go.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Very cool OP, I've wanted to do the same.  As a 17 year A&P turned QA Manager, I've always wanted to fly.   You're doing what I wish I had the time and funds to do.  Keep it up.

Also, let me know if you need any knowledge, I'm just a PM away.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:48:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: clayvt] [#21]
Look ma!
It’s a real airplane part!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I’m going to need more 3/32 clecos. I used about half of what I have.
I’m planning on doing both wings at the same time so I’m gonna need a lot more…
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By RV8guy:
Taildragger is best dragger. Are you going to do a tip up or a slider?
View Quote

Slider.
Already planning on the supertracks mod and “almost a 14” mod.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Torque556:
Very cool OP, I've wanted to do the same.  As a 17 year A&P turned QA Manager, I've always wanted to fly.   You're doing what I wish I had the time and funds to do.  Keep it up.

Also, let me know if you need any knowledge, I'm just a PM away.
View Quote

Awesome! Thank you!

I’ve been giving some thought to possibly going to A&P school when I retire. Or find someone to apprentice under. Sadly the FAA took away the build hours as counting towards the test.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#24]

@TxM35A2

Cool beans. That's probably an Eagles Nest Project airplane. The founder of the project lives down in that area somewhere.

I just got an Eagles Nest airplane in the shop today. There is about 3 more we should get on the books soon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TxM35A2:

Sealy, Tx

@TxM35A2

Cool beans. That's probably an Eagles Nest Project airplane. The founder of the project lives down in that area somewhere.

I just got an Eagles Nest airplane in the shop today. There is about 3 more we should get on the books soon.

@RV8guy Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#25]

The RV12 is a nice little airplane. I wish that there were programs like this when I was in school.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#26]

The RV12 is a nice little airplane. I wish that there were programs like this when I was in school.
View Quote

Me also.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:50:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#27]
Take it from experience design your panel last.
View Quote
Damn right!  Technology changes, companies in and out of business.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

And purchase the avionics as close to completion as you can, so that the warranty doesn't run out while they're sitting in boxes.
I'm going to cut my avionics purchase as close to the end as possible.
Engine warranties are a little different, as they are more forgiving, but avionics aren't.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:43:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Knew this was gonna be a Van's thread before I clicked on it. Saw an RV7 sitting outside a hangar with canopy open today. What awesome little planes they are. Though I'll admit that my heart belongs to the Sai Marchetti SF260.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:10:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:55:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: clayvt] [#31]
Primer came in yesterday, what are everyone’s thoughts on the black widow spray gun from HF? I know it’s just primer and their $20 gun should work but there’s a “slight/slim” chance I might want to try my hand at painting the completed plane myself in true kit builder style. So I figure a little higher “quality” gun might be a better up front purchase.

And I know it’s typically the painter that makes the gun and a master painter can do stuff with a $20 gun most can’t. But I’m hoping that with as much primer as I expect to shoot I might gain some skills.
Heck I managed to spray my Willy’s Jeep tub primer and color without any runs…
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By jmt1991:

And purchase the avionics as close to completion as you can, so that the warranty doesn't run out while they're sitting in boxes.
Engine warranties are a little different, as they are more forgiving, but avionics aren't.
View Quote

Or batteries if they have batt backup
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Also. Have any arfcommer metal plane builders saved their aluminum shavings and dust?
Seems to be a shame to let all that powdered aluminum go to waste for….reasons…
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:39:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jmt1991] [#34]

View All Quotes

Include the ELT with that, as those batteries have a drop-dead date.
I don't have much scrap from the plane, but I do save it and will take that to the recycling place when I haul my steel to it.
Depending on how much, you get a few bucks.
Aircraft aluminum gets higher paybacks because of its purity.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Also. Have any arfcommer metal plane builders saved their aluminum shavings and dust?
Seems to be a shame to let all that powdered aluminum go to waste for….reasons…
View Quote

It would be cool if you did a cast aluminum model of your plane after you're done. Since you have a 3D printer, you can use the lost PLA method. Something like this...

Casting Aluminum for the Home from a Simple 3D Print

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:

It would be cool if you did a cast aluminum model of your plane after you're done. Since you have a 3D printer, you can use the lost PLA method. Something like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AaujAPghhE

View Quote

I was thinking of other more….loud uses of powdered aluminum…
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Primer came in yesterday, what are everyone’s thoughts on the black widow spray gun from HF? I know it’s just primer and their $20 gun should work but there’s a “slight/slim” chance I might want to try my hand at painting the completed plane myself in true kit builder style. So I figure a little higher “quality” gun might be a better up front purchase.

And I know it’s typically the painter that makes the gun and a master painter can do stuff with a $20 gun most can’t. But I’m hoping that with as much primer as I expect to shoot I might gain some skills.
View Quote

The company I work for picked up that very gun for everyone that attended the paint class.  It cones highly rated for the price, and some people already had $300+ guns.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

For your uses it will be fine.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Please look into Van's financial situation before you spend anymore money. There is a very good chance they won't be around for long

Edit, never mind I see its a used kit. But keep in mind if you need parts, they may not be around to make them.

View Quote

its a kit, experimental plane, made from ALUMINUM.  just make replacement part?!

were not goin into LEO here, just up fro some loopty loops sheeesh
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:05:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cda97] [#40]

View All Quotes

Who will you hire to do avionics/electrical?  That cost will be an additional $25K

I'm about to embark on rewiring a C180 that will take months to do, should cost the owner almost $30K in labor
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:06:12 PM EDT
[#41]
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-FUEL-12V-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-1-4-in-Right-Angle-Die-Grinder-Tool-Only-2485-20/310152871?irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-2003851-1420157-bing&clickid=ym23NdzcdxyITW-yft3PIVBiUkHUxCy-QXjF3I0

these and some rotary files
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Yep.  I definitely wouldn't buy anything from them at this point.

If you've already got a kit or bought one prior to this, then full steam ahead but I would be worried about the future.

Good luck OP, lots of time and work.  My dad started a Sonex quite a few years ago, and never finished it.  Wings and fuse are still in the loft of our shop.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:42:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By cda97:

Who will you hire to do avionics/electrical?  That cost will be an additional $25K

I'm about to embark on rewiring a C180 that will take months to do, should cost the owner almost $30K in labor
View Quote

Going to do it myself. Of most of the things the wiring is probably what I’m most comfortable with.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:00:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Going to do it myself. Of most of the things the wiring is probably what I’m most comfortable with.
View All Quotes

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:13:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: clayvt] [#45]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

Yep.  I definitely wouldn't buy anything from them at this point.

If you've already got a kit or bought one prior to this, then full steam ahead but I would be worried about the future.

Good luck OP, lots of time and work.  My dad started a Sonex quite a few years ago, and never finished it.  Wings and fuse are still in the loft of our shop.
View Quote

I’m fairly confident they aren’t going anywhere. Even if they have to sell, someone will snatch up the company.
The brand/product is worth a lot of $.  It isn’t the #1 kit company for no reason. It’s a solid design, relatively easy to build and still affordable. There aren’t many competitors that can do what the RV’s can do. Sure you have the kit foxes, bear hawks and sonex, but they have very different missions. I’d say a compatible to the Rv’s would may be lancair? But then you talking more money and dealing with composites.

Turning your back and not supporting the company for whatever reason is not going to help them pull through and succeed. If everyone who had an outstanding order said screw it and stopped building/not ordering their next kit, that’s a surefire way to nose dive the company and make 100% sure they don’t survive.

Everyone has their levels of acceptable risk, I get that, but I for one am happy tons of folks have decided to have faith in the company (who appear to be turning things around really quickly) and putting orders in even with the increased prices. The cash flow will help them come out the other side a stronger more humble organization.

I don’t see the demand for kit planes going down anytime soon esp if mosaic passes. When your only choices on the market are 40-70 year old Cessnas or pipers going for well north of $100K or a brand new Cessna/piper/cirrus starting at damn near half a mil, folks have woken up to the experimental world where you can build a brand new airplane with modern avionics for around $120K (for the 7 or 9).
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#46]

Good luck
View Quote

Wiring isn’t that hard and a lot of the avionics manufacturers include harnesses so it’s not that much work in the grand scheme of things.

I’d probably go with Dynon if I built something, my dad has double glass Dynons in his airplane and they have worked really well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:14:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Sky] [#47]

Wiring isn't that hard and a lot of the avionics manufacturers include harnesses so it's not that much work in the grand scheme of things.

I'd probably go with Dynon if I built something, my dad has double glass Dynons in his airplane and they have worked really well.
View All Quotes

Good luck

Wiring isn't that hard and a lot of the avionics manufacturers include harnesses so it's not that much work in the grand scheme of things.

I'd probably go with Dynon if I built something, my dad has double glass Dynons in his airplane and they have worked really well.

Yeah, back when I built my RV4 I went with Dynon and Garmin.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Nice, what GPS is that above the transponder?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#50]

Nice, what GPS is that above the transponder?
View Quote
That's a Garmin GNS-480.
Page / 6
Top Top