Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a physics professor at CalTech in Pasadena who is really into them. He has an eidetic memory and can, pretty much, answer any question you might have.

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
I have a 4'x8' Z scale layout.  It is set in 1986 Germany.
View Quote

@MikeJGA
Do you have M1's and a HEMTT fueler in it?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:
I started playing with N Scale trains a few months ago.

View Quote

I have a pile of 70s, 80s and 90s era N-scale trains. Along with a milk crate full of turnouts and track

I've kicked around the idea of building a layout in the new house. Not sure where I'd put it though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't have room for a layout now so I am building a little switching shelf. It's 2 foot wide and each leg is about 8 feet long.   I am working on getting it all wired now so I can see if it works.  Then I'll add the streets and buildings.

I've always done HO scale with a little HOn3 narrow gauge thrown in.

I built this narrow gauge layout on a hollow core door.

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By wormgod:
I don't have room for a layout now so I am building a little switching shelf. It's 2 foot wide and each leg is about 8 feet long.   I am working on getting it all wired now so I can see if it works.  Then I'll add the streets and buildings.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120786/20231225_164157-3153543.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120786/20231225_164222-3153539.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120786/20200601_094930-3153548.jpg

View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Strike6:

@MikeJGA
View Quote

I have a company of M1s at the railhead with 3 on the flat cars and the rest blocking the main road 😊
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mark9000:

You do really nice work, I am impressed.

I love the work of John Allen of Gore and Daphetid fame.

https://www.sundayriverproductions.com/model/gorre-and-daphetid

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_16916lRL73g/TRhQkwxW_lI/AAAAAAAAAZA/LCxg9NjJVKg/s1600/G%2524D%2Blake%2BApril%2B1958.jpg
View Quote
I literally posted pics of some G&D rolling stock in this thread
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Chris_1522:
<~~~yes

I collect 1945-1985ish US made Lionel 3-rail O gauge and 1923-1939 Lionel standard gauge.

I also model the Frisco (and some other Missouri-centric roads) in the 1940s in HO scale.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#10]
FPNI, lol!  I immediately thought of that!

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I started my journey into train layout building by buying a 3D printer in Jan. :-)
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#12]
are you doing your own 3d modeling?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By wormgod:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120786/20231225_164157-3153543.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120786/20231225_164222-3153539.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120786/20200601_094930-3153548.jpg

View Quote

Really nice!
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:48:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DoubleARon:
I literally posted pics of some G&D rolling stock in this thread
View Quote

I saw it but wasnt 100% sure. LOL
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:00:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HotHolster] [#15]
I have a bunch of 1952? Lionel 027 gauge, including the water tower with the red light, crossing gates, cars, a couple engines, etc, and the original papers and manuals that were included when the set was purchased.
Many years ago, my Dad made a train table and I had this setup on that table. Kept it up year round. After I moved, I never set it up again.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:28:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cpt_Kirks] [#16]
Originally Posted By ScooterInVegas:
I started my journey into train layout building by buying a 3D printer in Jan. :-)
View Quote

Me too.  I've been busy printin' and paintin'!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:59:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#17]
I am also 3d printing things. The shed is 3d printed to match railroad blueprints and existing photos.
The scenery is under construction, the hill will be mostly covered with bushes and shrubs.
I have since ripped up the front track because I really disliked the look of the cinder ballast after I glued it down. It was too course.

Here's the new, finer sifted cinder ballast.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#18]

I have a company of M1s at the railhead with 3 on the flat cars and the rest blocking the main road 😊
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@MikeJGA

@MikeJGA

Pics please?

Has your railroad been pictured on Facebook?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Ahh yes, trains.

one of the classic level 11 out of 10 autistic hobbies.

Choo choo
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I’ve always equated train modelers as the fudds of the model world.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:28:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#21]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:33:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#22]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
Ahh yes, trains.

one of the classic level 11 out of 10 autistic hobbies.

Choo choo
View Quote

this guy is more of an artist than many whose paintings are hanging in galleries around the world.
Year End - Model Railroad Layout Update & Review | December 2023 | Boomer Diorama # 213

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, but not as much as I'd like.

I've got a good Duplo model railroad set for my grandsons to enjoy, and they love it.  And then there's a set that goes under the Christmas tree.  But I don't have enough time right now for HO scale modeling.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Yep.   I, and about everyone else who saw this thread title, came to post this.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By GarandM1:

I've got a good Duplo model railroad set for my grandsons to enjoy, and they love it.  And then there's a set that goes under the Christmas tree.  But I don't have enough time right now for HO scale modeling.
View Quote

N scale is half HO scale size.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By GarandM1:

View Quote
I'm sort of in the same boat, so I am building a module (or a diorama) scene, that is hyper-accurate, with a ton of research and pictures used to create it.
In my case, I will use mine for an article in our historical society newsletter  Norfolk & Western Historical Society  
But, I can also attach it into modular club layouts and trains will run through it.
I'll also use it as a photography backdrop for model train locos and rolling stock.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Though I have no interest in it as a hobby, I am very much impressed and mesmerized by very detailed and elaborate layouts like that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#28]
A couple of poor pictures of the railhead on my Z layout.  The quarter is for size reference.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

@Strike6
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#29]
i can share some crab meat and my basement is finished
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Great memories as a kid of putting up the HO set before Christmas with Dad.  He sold all of the trains and stuff for $50 to a guy at the bar.

When my son was about 5, I unboxed an HO set that my grandmother gave me and set it up under the Christmas tree.  Since then, that's our tradition.  I also went on eBay and purchased nearly every engine and car that I could remember from my childhood... cost maybe $100.

One of the engines wasn't working so we went to a model train shop for repair.  Holy shit.  I knew it would be a haven of weirdos but I was seriously looking around for the Craigslist guy to walk in with some imitation crabmeat... especially since it was near Philly.  Every worker and patron was either Boomer or was a family with a VERY autistic-ish kid.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:26:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HotHolster] [#32]
I have a some Lionel 027 gauge from 1952, and added to, as the years passed. My Dad built a train track board in our basement and we spent a lot of time there. I still have the paperwork too. I haven't used this for many years though and Florida doesn't have basements.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:38:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoomFootShot] [#33]
I’m working on it. There is another section that’s 4x5. So this is 14x5 to 14x7 when it’s done.

https://postimg.cc/VdYq08xB
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#34]
My boss is, his entire basement is a model railroad.  It's intricate and I feel bad for him if he ever has to move.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Meanwhile, rail preservation is a whole other conundrum.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#36]
A couple of poor pictures of the railhead on my Z layout.  The quarter is for size reference.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/223879/IMG_1555_JPG-3171657.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/223879/IMG_1556_JPG-3171658.JPG

@Strike6
View Quote

@MikeJGA

Nice railhead! Sucks to be them. If you know, you know.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

The large markings (DG&H Freight Lines 3340) on the white hopper copper car seem to predate the hopper car itself, they look like something from the 1940s (?) and the car itself is a newer hopper (1990s or newer)?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By LongTrang:
I’ve always equated train modelers as the fudds of the model world.
View Quote

RC airplane flying is as bad.  Worse maybe.  Old guys with their fifty year old Goldberg Falcon 56s saturated with castor oil and fuel.   Sneering at guys with helis or for sure any electric motors.  Sailplanes too.  And god forbid someone shows up with a drone/quadcopter.    

Go to a swap meet or other show with trains or RC and you will be guaranteed to get behind some old guy who doesn’t use deodorant

And club meetings!    These old guys who attend all the meetings just love their roberts rules of order.   87% of the meeting time spent with picking apart the minutia and nothing to talk about someone’s project or technical talk.  
Beekeepers are bad about that too.  Tool the point of driving away new people who come wanting to learn something useful.  

I’m sure there are other past times with equally bad participants.  

Nothing wrong with any of these activities.  They are safe generally and wholesome activities.   But clubs are the devil.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:27:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RED_5] [#39]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By JQ66:
RC airplane flying is as bad.  Worse maybe.  Old guys with their fifty year old Goldberg Falcon 56s saturated with castor oil and fuel.   Sneering at guys with helis or for sure any electric motors.  Sailplanes too.  And god forbid someone shows up with a drone/quadcopter.    

Go to a swap meet or other show with trains or RC and you will be guaranteed to get behind some old guy who doesn’t use deodorant

And club meetings!    These old guys who attend all the meetings just love their roberts rules of order.   87% of the meeting time spent with picking apart the minutia and nothing to talk about someone’s project or technical talk.  
Beekeepers are bad about that too.  Tool the point of driving away new people who come wanting to learn something useful.  

I’m sure there are other past times with equally bad participants.  

Nothing wrong with any of these activities.  They are safe generally and wholesome activities.   But clubs are the devil.
View Quote

You just want to deny us old people our fun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:17:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#42]
Go to a swap meet or other show with trains or RC and you will be guaranteed to get behind some old guy who doesn't use deodorant
And club meetings!    These old guys who attend all the meetings just love their roberts rules of order.   87% of the meeting time spent with picking apart the minutia and nothing to talk about someone's project or technical talk.
I'm sure there are other past times with equally bad participants.  
View Quote
I agree. I did RC planes for about 10 years when electric started to take off. I did not like the club environment due to old guys.

My experience with model train blubs has been a pretty good mix of young and old. Approx 25 years ago, I was a 22 year old president of a 10K sq ft club at the state fairgrounds with about 30 very active members. It definitely wasn't "run by old guys". Several of us build a huge HO layout that operated for 14 days straight every year for the state fair, and then all year round as a club layout.

Now, my experience includes young and old and is mostly online.  I am part of several facebook 3d printing groups and other modeling groups like HO, track weathering and detailing, shelf layouts, buildings, scenery, brass trains, etc...  The group sizes range from 3K-20K members. The age range seems to be incredibly varied.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#44]

@Strike6
View Quote

Nice marklin Z gauge.  What are the dimensions of the layout?
Did you get into Marklin due to serving in the army or AF over in Germany?  

I got my start with Marklin HO by my Dad.   From him on leave in Hong Kong of all places, when he was based in the Philippines. My first Christmas present.  
I have Z too and want to build a coffee table enclosed layout soon.  It would be set around 1970.   So no real modern locos or rolling stock.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#45]

@MikeJGA

Nice railhead! Sucks to be them. If you know, you know.
View Quote

Yep.  I could not have it at O dark thirty with a freezing rain.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:

I often see train sets being given away for free on Facebook/Craigslist these days, it's really sad to see all that effort being put into layouts but the family that inherits them has no interest in them anymore.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jackthom8:
Originally Posted By d16man:
My brother and I were when we were kids.  At 24 my brother was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma.   While he was neutropenic he worked on our train set because he couldn't go outside.  My dad has continued his work post death.  I will one day inherit and continue also.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337946/20240101_121952-3078430.jpg

I often see train sets being given away for free on Facebook/Craigslist these days, it's really sad to see all that effort being put into layouts but the family that inherits them has no interest in them anymore.

Yep, old timer across the street from me died and had a massive collection in the basement. He had no kids, but his nephews spent weeks hauling stuff out but never touched the trains. His sister caught me outside and offered up everything to me for free but I simply didn’t have room for any of it. I did get several NIB plane and jet models that were many decades old but all the train stuff ended up going into a rolloff dumpster. Pretty sad.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Nice marklin Z gauge.  What are the dimensions of the layout?
Did you get into Marklin due to serving in the army or AF over in Germany?  

I got my start with Marklin HO by my Dad.   From him on leave in Hong Kong of all places, when he was based in the Philippines. My first Christmas present.  
I have Z too and want to build a coffee table enclosed layout soon.  It would be set around 1970.   So no real modern locos or rolling stock.
View Quote

It is two 4x3 feet sections.  I had a N scale layout at Ft. Carson that was destroyed during a PCS. When I was stationed in Germany 81-84, I discovered Merklin Z.  This layout has been Germany > MO> Germany >GA> FL. The setting is 1985 with some heritage steam engines.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#48]

@Strike6
View Quote

Thats pretty awesome!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#49]

Those are both painted not for real railroads but for famous model railroads. The boxcar is painted for John Allen's "Gorre and Daphetid" and the hopper is painted for one I am not familiar with (but did do a quick Google search on).

Both railroads are modeled in an earlier era than those cars would have existed in, but regardless many modelers love to page homage to these "famous" model railroads by having rolling stock painted for them regardless of the era.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DD1801:

The large markings (DG&H Freight Lines 3340) on the white hopper copper car seem to predate the hopper car itself, they look like something from the 1940s (?) and the car itself is a newer hopper (1990s or newer)?

Those are both painted not for real railroads but for famous model railroads. The boxcar is painted for John Allen's "Gorre and Daphetid" and the hopper is painted for one I am not familiar with (but did do a quick Google search on).

Both railroads are modeled in an earlier era than those cars would have existed in, but regardless many modelers love to page homage to these "famous" model railroads by having rolling stock painted for them regardless of the era.

Gotcha, thank you.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:04:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dbrowne1] [#50]
One of my father's layouts - his last, actually, before he died in late 2018 - was featured in a model railroad magazine.

Thomas Browne's O gauge railroad | Classic Toy Trains magazine

It was his main hobby during non-summer months. We had two huge layouts in the house where I grew up, the first in the basement and then later the entire finished attic. The one in the video above was in my parents' house where they retired. I grew up going to "real" train stuff, trips to Pennsylvania mostly. Still have lots of my dad's stuff and some trains I had as a kid, always set up the Lionel Polar Express for Christmas time.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top