Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
I watched two towers tonight.forth eorlingas
View Quote

Toss me. What. Toss me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:58:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ceetee:
I've been a fan of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings novels since 9th grade.  I don't even know how many times I read them.  And The Silmarillion, and even Unfinished Tales.  So don't ever say that I don't love the original novels.

That said, I also love the LOTR movies.
Sure, they had to leave out a lot of content in the making.  And they changed a lot of content for no apparent good reason.  They still stand up.  I'm not a huge fan of some of the casting choices, namely Viggo Mortenson as Aragorn.  He's a phenomenal actor but to me, he's one of the last of the Numenoreans, and they were larger than life.  I always pictured Aragorn as someone like Henry Cavill.  Large, imposing.  

Another casting WTF was Cate Blanchett as Galadriel.  She's supposed to be the most beautiful of all the elves (an overwhelmingly beautiful race) and as pretty as Cate is... The most beautiful elf ever?  Really?  She did a fine job in the role, but to me she was just miscast.

Ian McKellen doesn't get nearly as much respect as he deserves.  His portrayal as Gandalf was flippin' amazing.  Spot on.  As was Christopher Lee's portrayal as Saruman.  He literally gave me chills.  

All in all, it was stunning, visually, the costumes were fantastic, the direction and acting was great, and in my opinion it kept the overall emotion of the novels.  You can like the movies, while still adoring the novels.  

I despise the Hobbit movies.  That's pretty much all I'm willing to say about them.  IYKYN.
View Quote

I agreed with everything you posted here, save for your dislike in casting Mortensen and Blanchett. Especially Blanchett. I recall first hearing Jackson had cast her as Galadriel. The more i thought on that, the more i liked the idea. True, she is not a Hollywood 10, but i think even the truly most beautiful female in a world would have some wear/hardness of appearance after thousands of years of existance. Like permanently burned in "resting bitch face". I saw his logic in that casting.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:15:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I know Jackson had the best CG available at that time, but the man can also knock it out of the park using old school creativity in film. This was the first scene that let me know the films were going to be awesome. From what i can detect, all he used  in this scene (after Bilbo's party), was a great actor and some sound and lighting.

It's when Bilbo gets snippy about parting with The Precious. Gandalf looses his cool and some of his true power is exposed. Impressed the shit out of me in the theater. I recall backing into my seat.

LOTR - Gandalf and Frodo scene - I am Not Trying to Rob You Meme
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ciraxis:
We watch the extended additions at least once a year.

There are some really bad parts and the dude that plays frodo is terrible but I love the movies.  

Lotr is the only fantasy series of books I ever enjoyed.
View Quote

Same here. I read all sorts of things, but wizards and magic never did it for me.

Except for Lord of the Rings. I first read the books in the '60's, then later a couple of times over the years.

We have the entire set on Blu- Ray discs. The Hobbit movies as well.

With all of the crap on tv, even with the bazillion channels, it's good see something done well.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:52:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I watch them about once every other year. I enjoy them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

I think that might be why re-watching these movies just isn't all that appealing.  I really enjoyed them.  But I saw them in the theater the first time.  And watching them at home on a TV just isn't "cinematic" enough to capture the same magic.  I lose interest pretty quick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
I feel really bad for people that didn't get to witness this wonder in theater.

I think that might be why re-watching these movies just isn't all that appealing.  I really enjoyed them.  But I saw them in the theater the first time.  And watching them at home on a TV just isn't "cinematic" enough to capture the same magic.  I lose interest pretty quick.

Dive head first into the realm of home theater projectors and surround sound and your life will be changed.

I can never go back to a sub 100" screen for TV, Movies, and Gaming.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Can't watch it again if I haven't watched it at all.  Not nearly a big enough nerd to get into stupid shit like that.

Edgy, I know.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By explodingvarmints:
Can't watch it again if I haven't watched it at all.  Not nearly a big enough nerd to get into stupid shit like that.

Edgy, I know.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#9]

There's plenty of Fast and Furious movies out there to keep people like that entertained
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to rewatch the first one this weekend. I encourage everyone to do the same.
View Quote
I watched it a few months ago on a flight, it was one of the limited free options. I've seen it a dozen times and it's great every time. Watching it on my iPhone 12 mini isn't quite the same as a big screen with surround sound tho ha
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Fushaw:

There's plenty of Fast and Furious movies out there to keep people like that entertained
View All Quotes

Nah.  I spend most of my free time in the outdoors farming, fishing, hunting, shooting, etc. instead of watching make believe fantasy movies for children.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Nah.  I spend most of my free time in the outdoors farming, fishing, hunting, shooting, etc. instead of watching make believe fantasy movies for children.
View Quote

We got a super badass over here.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

Lol. Yet kings and their vassals, when they weren't engaging in warfare, managing their vast estates, or hunting, would chill out while minstrels told the tales from the Manner of Britain or the Manner of France. Best to just say you don't enjoy the genre.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:45:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#14]
Originally Posted By ceetee:

Another casting WTF was Cate Blanchett as Galadriel.  She's supposed to be the most beautiful of all the elves (an overwhelmingly beautiful race) and as pretty as Cate is... The most beautiful elf ever?  Really?  She did a fine job in the role, but to me she was just miscast.

Ian McKellen doesn't get nearly as much respect as he deserves.  His portrayal as Gandalf was flippin' amazing.  Spot on.  As was Christopher Lee's portrayal as Saruman.  He literally gave me chills.  

All in all, it was stunning, visually, the costumes were fantastic, the direction and acting was great, and in my opinion it kept the overall emotion of the novels.  You can like the movies, while still adoring the novels.  

I despise the Hobbit movies.  That's pretty much all I'm willing to say about them.  IYKYN.
View Quote

Being a Gen X’er, I have to say, when I imagined a blonde elf queen described as the most beautiful of them all, in my teens, I envisioned someone who looked like either Elaine Irwin or Tatiana Patitz in their prime. Tall, gorgeous, willowy blondes with a somewhat aloof look.

Yeah, Cate Blanchett was a letdown

Not sure which actress of the era would’ve better suited the role, though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#15]
The LoTR films were great, and I cherish them. The films came out a decade after I had read the books, and I was amazed at Theoden becoming my favorite character in the films.

That said, they weren't perfect. If I could change one thing to align more closely with the books, it would be Aragorn's demeanor. His reluctance doesn't jive with Tolkien's ideas on bravery.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

Dude, nobody gives a fuck. As if we don't do similar things as well...
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Good timing OP, I literally just rewatched the extended versions in the past 2-3 weeks. I never read the books, but really enjoy the movies. It had been several years since I'd watched, they really do stand up to the test of time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#18]
We watch them about once a year, but don't currently have a full set of the extended versions, need to remedy that before we watch again.

I didn't really agree with Viggo as Aragorn, as Aragorn would have been about 6'5" tall and strong as hell, but he did a good job.

My only real disappointment, was (once again) the exclusion of Tom Bombadil, for me possibly the most interesting character, and the most powerful entity in Middle Earth.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:21:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:26:28 AM EDT
[#20]
They stand up well given the movies are like 20 years old. Movies nowadays are such shite

Watch the extended editions pretty frequently bc my youngest son adores them

One of my fav lines
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#22]
My son and I started the extended edition of The Fellowship of the Ring again this evening.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:44:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MHS69] [#23]
RIP.

TIME TO WATCH IT AGAIN.
View Quote

This, wife and I just finished watching the extended editions of LOTR, sad to hear of King Theoden's (Bernard Hill) passing. RIP
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:51:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Senile and bewitched Theoden reminds me a lot of our current president.  Grima Wormtongue is?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:14:30 AM EDT
[#25]
The movies are very well done, and only almost the level of pure drudgery the books are.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:27:29 AM EDT
[#26]
While I have the 75" TV in an absurdly tiny, dimly lit room to make the experience, I think I'm going to hold off until I get a surround sound system.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:33:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
While I have the 75" TV in an absurdly tiny, dimly lit room to make the experience, I think I'm going to hold off until I get a surround sound system.
View Quote

Get a philips hue lighting too
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:39:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#28]
Originally Posted By Homeka45:
Senile and bewitched Theoden reminds me a lot of our current president.  Grima Wormtongue is?
View Quote

Just one of the handlers with the diaper bag.
Saruman is who?   FBHO, probably, but even he (saruman) had Sauron pulling his strings
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:15:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:
Those movies were pretty terrible.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:34:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Here's your chance to see all three in the theater.

June 8th

June 9th

June 10th

Personally, I'd like to see all three shown back to back on the same day
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:16:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I can't believe that this hasn't been posted yet

Lord of the Rings Alternate Ending
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:04:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RarestRX] [#32]
Originally Posted By DavidY:
Here's your chance to see all three in the theater.

June 8th

June 9th

June 10th

Personally, I'd like to see all three shown back to back on the same day
View Quote

BTDT, AMC did all 3 extended cut back to back to back.

15 minute break between movies, $1 refills.  

Got to the theater at 10am, left at 10pm.

It was great, really immersed you because at the end you were so tired, you're like, "Throw that fucking ring in the volcano already and let's go home!"

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:12:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheAlmightyYak] [#33]
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:
Those movies were pretty terrible.
View Quote

Clerks on lord of the rings
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Clerks II (5/8) Movie CLIP - Lord of the Rings vs. Star Wars (2006) HD
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#35]
When I watch, I skip most of the Frodo and Gollum parts. Too drawn out, repetitive, and poor acting.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By killstick_engaged:
They stand up well given the movies are like 20 years old. Movies nowadays are such shite

Watch the extended editions pretty frequently bc my youngest son adores them

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7xMwZeruTGxLc61jENRm_OoduNuAsf2bfbaOkAeE5lw&s

One of my fav lines
View Quote

Kinda like today, we have our own Mordor, called Washington DC.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#38]
RIP.

TIME TO WATCH IT AGAIN.
View Quote

He went to his fathers, and in their mighty company he shall not now be ashamed
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top