BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AndyandKevinsux:
Wow, FPDNNI.

The extended editions have some rough scenes where they didnt polish the CGI, or where John Rhys-Davies’s makeup is making his face swell up bad, but overrall the movies hold up well to the test of time.
View Quote

Jackson completely fucked up the ending.

The whole story is a lead up to the brilliant ending Tolkien wrote, and Peter Jackson just wiped his ass with the original to put that piece of shit ending in.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:34:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably my favorite movies ever. The first Hobbit was showing promise but Jackson really jumped the shark with the other two unfortunately.

I've read almost all of Tolkien's work and I love all of it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:35:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:
Those movies were pretty terrible.
View Quote

Nerd Fight.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:37:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
I’m going to rewatch the first one this weekend. I encourage everyone to do the same.
View Quote

Is it really that good?

I've never seen a single one, and don't watch many movies or TV for that matter, I get bored really fast.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:41:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I feel really bad for people that didn't get to witness this wonder in theater.
View Quote
I only saw Return of the King in theaters.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Hoji:

The whole story is a lead up to the brilliant ending Tolkien wrote, and Peter Jackson just wiped his ass with the original to put that piece of shit ending in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hoji:
Originally Posted By AndyandKevinsux:
Wow, FPDNNI.

The extended editions have some rough scenes where they didnt polish the CGI, or where John Rhys-Davies’s makeup is making his face swell up bad, but overrall the movies hold up well to the test of time.

Yeah, that's a crock of shit.  The Scouring of the Shire is NOT a "brilliant ending."  It's a choice for an ending but not including it in no way "wipes his ass" with the original.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:46:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Worst first post in the history of the internet.  

You don’t even deserve a McUzi style rant.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:00:35 AM EDT
[#8]
This would make a hell of a ring tone. Also, I think I'll be Treebeard this Halloween. I'm tall, ugly, have an unruly beard and can rumble a little bit.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:20:38 AM EDT
[#9]
This is one of those rare cases where the FPWR

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:21:09 AM EDT
[#10]
This is one of those rare cases where the FPWasRetarded
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:24:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Jason280:
We've been going through the Harry Potter movies with my 6yr old, may move on to the two Hobbit movies and then to the grand finale of the LOTR trilogy.
View Quote

Solid move.  This is good dad level television here.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:32:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Sir_Sparhawk:
I love the Hobbit movies and have re-watched them a lot, I just don't care for the LotR trilogy.
View Quote

I had the biggest wtf reading this
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 3:08:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I feel really bad for people that didn’t get to witness this wonder in theater.
View Quote

I have my own theater.   I plan on watching them again this year.   But probably after Dune 2.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 3:29:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bologna:
Two towers is my favorite
View Quote

I take it you never even read the books.

Don't get me wrong, the movies are great, but...fuck me. The middle one is an abomination compared to the rest. Jackson butchered the source material.

--No elves ever showed up at Helm's Deep. They were...busy.
--Dwarf Tossing. Eomer was there, not Gimli.
--Aragon's visionquest .
--Warg attacks.
--The Ents didn't need to be SHAMED into striding forth. They decided on their own. You know...the right thing to do.
--Faramir didn't drag Frodo and Sam back to Osgiliath. He was better than his brother, and resisted the pull of the One Ring.

I could go on and on. NERD ALERT. I'm a geek. Whatever.

The Two Towers SUCKED ASS compared to the other two movies. SUCKED. ASS. It's flaming garbage to anyone who loves the books. It's not about scene changes...it's about complete character/motivation/values changes. Fuck that movie.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:01:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Kagetora:

Don't get me wrong, the movies are great, but...fuck me. The middle one is an abomination compared to the rest. Jackson butchered the source material.

--Aragon's visionquest .
--Warg attacks.
--The Ents didn't need to be SHAMED into striding forth. They decided on their own. You know...the right thing to do.
--Faramir didn't drag Frodo and Sam back to Osgiliath. He was better than his brother, and resisted the pull of the One Ring.

The Two Towers SUCKED ASS compared to the other two movies. SUCKED. ASS. It's flaming garbage to anyone who loves the books. It's not about scene changes...it's about complete character/motivation/values changes. Fuck that movie.
View Quote

Well it's a million times better and more accurate than what happened to the Wheel of Time series.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:27:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Pajamacannon:

Pacific Rim
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Baq:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Baq:
Originally Posted By Sir_Sparhawk:
I love the Hobbit movies and have re-watched them a lot, I just don't care for the LotR trilogy.

He must be kidding. Please tell me he is kidding us.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:49:26 AM EDT
[#18]

--Aragon's visionquest .
--Warg attacks.

View All Quotes
Two towers is my favorite

--Aragon's visionquest .
--Warg attacks.

lol, it was an excellent movie, not a word for word adaptation of the book. The third movie was probably the most divergent from the book, still good but a bit disappointing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By zukguy:
Is it really that good?

I've never seen a single one, and don't watch many movies or TV for that matter, I get bored really fast.
View Quote

Maybe stick with Bugs Bunny, Donald Duck and their pals?
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I feel really bad for people that didn’t get to witness this wonder in theater.
View Quote

I would love to see that.
A few years back one of the movie theater chains was playing old movies that were like 60 years old at limited showings
I saw Ben Hur and that was fantastic on the big screen.  I think I remember seeing The Quiet Man too.
I’m not much on goin to movies but I would go see Lotr on a big screen
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Pogo55:
I liked the movies, but admit I skip through the parts about Frodo.
He makes my eyes glaze over.
View Quote

I didn't loke LOTR because of Frodo.
I may retry it fast forwarding past him.
They picked the wrong actor and madee Sam a simp.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#22]
The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was excellent.  They cut things like Tom Bombadil which I think is a good thing.

The Hobbit movie trilogy, OTOH, was a mess and took too long to tell the story.  I think one movie would have been too short, but they could have easily cut that down to 2.  But you can sell more tickets and make more money by filming a third, so they did.  I don't know if I'll ever watch the 3rd Hobbit movie again.  It's just not that good.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Woodfiend:

Well it's a million times better and more accurate than what happened to the Wheel of Time series.
View Quote

I'll take your word for that. Surprisingly, I never got around to reading that series.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#24]
In TROTK, in the scene where Elrond shows up and convinces Aragorn to plead to the Army of the Dead, the armor statue falls but the sound of it crashing is edited out?
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:31:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbb2] [#25]

I'll take your word for that. Surprisingly, I never got around to reading that series.
View Quote

I really should go back and finish it, I was getting exhausted by Jordan's endless side characters and nothing much happening, and gave up on it, then he died.

My wife wanted to watch the first season so we did, it was horrible. I think there's a second now, but haven't cared enough to look.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#26]

--Aragon's visionquest .
--Warg attacks.

View Quote

Come at me bro.

I just love the battle for helms deep that much.

I read the books repeatedly in the 80's many times.  It's not perfect but it's my favorite.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:51:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Geralt55] [#27]
View Quote

I guess it needed:
- 51% female protagonists
- Galadriel Warrior Princess
- Alcoholic Aragorn, who is basically not in the films in terms of screentime
- Gimli is trans
- Elrond turns to Boromir and lectures the audience him about privilege and the failures of men
- Haitian Legolas
- Saruman's the bad guy, who loses a sword fight to Galadriel in Movie 1, also he's her love interest. Stunning and Brave
- Eowyn's political career
- Battles that start and end within ~5 minutes "OMG NOT EVERYTHING IS AN ACTION MOVIE WOW OKAY MICHAEL BAY THERE'S NO EXPLOSIONS IN MIDDLE EARTH GIVE IT A REST WOW"
- Giving back Gondor to the indigenous, along with 30minutes of screentime devoted to this
- Theoden's speech replaced by Eowyn, who speaks about privilege and representation, before the indigenous people of Gondor win the day (easily. 6min battle)
- Samwise Gamgee literally not in the film, replaced by black female protagonist who takes the ring on occasion and isn't effected by it, of course
- Gandalf cries and "doesn't know what to do" at least once in all 3 films. He gives up magic completely and is a non-factor in the 3rd film.
- Galadriel beats the balrog (easily.) and lives, of course.
- Aragorn retires to farming, gives his sword up to Queen of Gondor
- Arwen not in the movies until movie 3, appears briefly as Legolas love interest. She's Hispanic, btw.
Played by a (famous?) musician you have never heard of, tattoos visible, as Tolkien intended

All that "modern audience" stuff that simply has to happen or special victim groups (democrat voting priority groups) won't see movies, because, unless you do that ^ movies can't be successful.
Duh.

@FlashMan-7k
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Never saw them... absolutely zero interest in fantasy.

Sci Fi, sure, but not fantasy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DoctorCAD:

View Quote

They’re the same genre.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By servicepuke1:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By servicepuke1:
Originally Posted By Pogo55:
I liked the movies, but admit I skip through the parts about Frodo.
He makes my eyes glaze over.

Frodo was essentially a noble and Sam was his gardener; they were different social classes and during the journey he was basically a servant. A devoted friend, yes, but still a servant (think Mr Bates and Lord Grantham in Downton Abbey). Frodo would never have made it without Sam's encouragement and help.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been a fan of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings novels since 9th grade.  I don't even know how many times I read them.  And The Silmarillion, and even Unfinished Tales.  So don't ever say that I don't love the original novels.

That said, I also love the LOTR movies.
Sure, they had to leave out a lot of content in the making.  And they changed a lot of content for no apparent good reason.  They still stand up.  I'm not a huge fan of some of the casting choices, namely Viggo Mortenson as Aragorn.  He's a phenomenal actor but to me, he's one of the last of the Numenoreans, and they were larger than life.  I always pictured Aragorn as someone like Henry Cavill.  Large, imposing.  

Another casting WTF was Cate Blanchett as Galadriel.  She's supposed to be the most beautiful of all the elves (an overwhelmingly beautiful race) and as pretty as Cate is... The most beautiful elf ever?  Really?  She did a fine job in the role, but to me she was just miscast.

Ian McKellen doesn't get nearly as much respect as he deserves.  His portrayal as Gandalf was flippin' amazing.  Spot on.  As was Christopher Lee's portrayal as Saruman.  He literally gave me chills.  

All in all, it was stunning, visually, the costumes were fantastic, the direction and acting was great, and in my opinion it kept the overall emotion of the novels.  You can like the movies, while still adoring the novels.  

I despise the Hobbit movies.  That's pretty much all I'm willing to say about them.  IYKYN.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Those are merely settings to tell stories.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I had never read the books but I liked the movies.  Just got around to listening to the first book on audible and yes, there are a lot of differences.  Now I am watching the movies again. The extended editions
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:

I tried more than once to like them. Absolute garbage.
View All Quotes

1st film is a master class in film making.
2nd film is a great action flick.
3rd is indeed clunky and a slight mess.

Still well worth a watch or even better owning on DVD just because the Left hates them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Yep, I went to it.

Started at 10am, ended at 10pm.

Totally worth it and amazing.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By eurotrash:

They’re the same genre.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eurotrash:

They’re the same genre.

Not even remotely close.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By RikWriter:

There's too many people who think that the fact they don't like something makes it objectively bad.  You just make yourself look foolish when you say stupid shit like that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RikWriter:

There's too many people who think that the fact they don't like something makes it objectively bad.  You just make yourself look foolish when you say stupid shit like that.

Relax, fella. It’s just my opinion about some shitty movies. No need to take it personally.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By MrKandiyohi:
The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was excellent.  They cut things like Tom Bombadil which I think is a good thing.

The Hobbit movie trilogy, OTOH, was a mess and took too long to tell the story.  I think one movie would have been too short, but they could have easily cut that down to 2.  But you can sell more tickets and make more money by filming a third, so they did.  I don't know if I'll ever watch the 3rd Hobbit movie again.  It's just not that good.
View Quote

I've always thought it was a mistake to remove Bombadil, the Barrow Downs and Old Man Willow.....and the Wights
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:44:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By rbb2:

I really should go back and finish it, I was getting exhausted by Jordan's endless side characters and nothing much happening, and gave up on it, then he died.

My wife wanted to watch the first season so we did, it was horrible. I think there's a second now, but haven't cared enough to look.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rbb2:

Endless side characters is why I never got through Martin's GoT books either. You'd start a book, and the first chapter was named after a character (Jon, Arya, Whoever). 30 chapters later, there's another chapter with the same name and I was like "Who? Oh, right...yeah, don't care anymore." The writing itself is excellent, the narrative wanders all over the fucking place to the point of stupidity.

Couldn't enjoy Name of the Wind or Wise Man's Fear either. Kvothe is such a ridiculous Mary Sue/Marty Stu character it's just shit.

Come at me bro.

I just love the battle for helms deep that much.

I read the books repeatedly in the 80's many times.  It's not perfect but it's my favorite.

Lol. You're allowed to like things I don't like. I'm not that guy.

Again, though, it's not the action scenes or basic alterations...it's the complete destruction of character arcs in favor of either "rule of cool" or making the Hobbitses look more heroic. Merry and Pippin somehow have to guilt-trip the Ents into doing the right thing. Faramir fails miserably in the same way his brother did. It falls so short of the point of the source material it can't even see it. It angers and confuses me as if I were Lurr of Omicron Persei 8.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 4:34:29 AM EDT
[#41]
I’m not sure I have the 25 hours to commit.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 4:41:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BOSN1AC] [#42]
I watched all 3 about a month ago with my 15 and 13 year old kids.

Extended Edition

The soundtrack is still one of the best put into a film.
THE LORD OF THE RING - URUK HAI THEME
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 4:58:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By cyclone:

I've always thought it was a mistake to remove Bombadil, the Barrow Downs and Old Man Willow.....and the Wights
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cyclone:
Originally Posted By MrKandiyohi:

My main issue with Bombadil was that he was a 100% 1960's hippy.  When I first read The Hobbit in the 1970's, I kept expecting him to say, "Make love; not war." or "Far out, man."  His character was written in the 1930's and, while JRR's ability to foresee this type of person is impressive, I just couldn't get over him.  I thnk a lot of his mannerisms and philosophies were displayed by Radagast in the movie.  I don't remember Radagast being so involved in the book.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By hhsmiley:

View All Quotes

Peter Jackson’s rendition isn’t quite as insulting to the source material as Rings of Power, but he took liberties that the more a fan of the books thinks about them, the worse the movies become until they are unwatchable.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By jwr6:

Peter Jackson’s rendition isn’t quite as insulting to the source material as Rings of Power, but he took liberties that the more a fan of the books thinks about them, the worse the movies become until they are unwatchable.
View All Quotes

Not always true. I have some absolutely fanatical friends...as in have LotR stuff all over their house, had an LotR-themed wedding, and even named their kids after characters in the book. They still love the movies. I think it's the middling-level fans (like myself) that end up picking them apart and disliking large portions.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Not always true. I have some absolutely fanatical friends...as in have LotR stuff all over their house, had an LotR-themed wedding, and even named their kids after characters in the book. They still love the movies. I think it's the middling-level fans (like myself) that end up picking them apart and disliking large portions.
View All Quotes

Needs the IQ scale meme, methinks

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Agree. I watch them on my long international flights. United usually has them.

I do need to buy the box sets before the wokies decide they need to be edited for current year
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#49]
My kids and I just finished rewatching them a week or 2 ago.

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#50]
I tried. Don't bother.
Page / 6
Top Top