User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
Stutzmech isn’t allowed to die.

He’s cool even when he’s dumb enough to disagree with me.
View Quote

Always like an honest and intelligent argument, sometimes hard to get here
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I may not be able to own a carriage in the real world, but ...

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTHYNOCxijo
View Quote

Entertaining vid, the reality of tiller style steering and the braking using a single drum hooked to only rear wheels is a real pain on these types of early vehicles would make them dangerous to drive on asphalt roads today, speed and ability to go up or down steep hills is a real limiting factor, they are not easy to drive, plus crank starting early 1 or 2 cylinder engines can be a real pain
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Any close up pics of the braze? Just seems so fragile to do construction like this before welding but such cars only go 20mph at best most of the time anyhow.

Are you the current caretaker of the Armstrong? I have been familiar with the vehicle for a little while actually Being the nerd that I am.
View Quote

Many tail feathers on tube and fabric airplanes were brazed.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTHYNOCxijo
View Quote

Mercedes built 175 replicas and they have one for sale at their classic sales office in Commiefornia . It has been for sale for over a year.

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/vehicles/mercedes-benz-classic/classiccenter/vehicle-sale/#/vehicle/benz-patent-motorwagen-replica-15999
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Stutzmech:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/498772/IMG_0321-3145814.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/498772/IMG_0322-3145813.jpg
1896 Armstrong , only 1 built and first of what could be called first "hybrid" car, IC and batt, also first car I know of with an electric starter
ETA also electromagnetic clutch, solenoid operated intake valves, very interesting car
View Quote
This is orders of magnitude cooler than the typical Trump or Ukraine thread. Please post more!

Now, if you want to really see a car that ARFCOM thinks is stupid, here is the vehicle that has been my daily driver for going on half of my life, that I decided to convert into an off-road vehicle.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:59:00 AM EDT
[#8]

I wish I had the chance to restore old stuff all day.

Fixing modern cars is soul crushing in certain ways.

While modern car circuit boards degrade it into immobility, model Ts will still be roaming around.
View Quote

I'm right there with you man, I'm getting burned out myself.

It's time to switch things up, wanna move to Idaho and start a shop?

@Littlepony
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:00:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Electronics are great until they quit working and are much more difficult to repair or source the parts, on old cars almost everything was built to be taken apart and repaired or rebuilt easily with fairly primitive equipment and basic mechanical knowledge, yes new stuff runs faster and provides many things but as a mechanic it’s not near as fun to work on
View Quote

Not sure how I missed this thread, but I agree, older stuff is just fun to work on because it tests you as a mechanic.

I'm not a tech, I'm a mechanic.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
This is orders of magnitude cooler than the typical Trump or Ukraine thread. Please post more!

Now, if you want to really see a car that ARFCOM thinks is stupid, here is the vehicle that has been my daily driver for going on half of my life, that I decided to convert into an off-road vehicle.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74831/20240117_165809_jpg-3157546.JPG
View Quote

The Armstrong was a one off car built to test out a lot of different stuff, it was fascinating as it had solenoid operated intake valves run by a crank driven switch with a centrifugal advance mechanism,
Constant mesh 3 speed trans operated by mechanical clutch’s for each gear, a electromagnetic clutch activated by switch’s in the shifter mechanism, the flywheel was a large generator/motor, carried a large amount of lead acid battery’s in the back, you would start the 2 cylinder engine with the motor, then drive, or drive with just the flywheel motor with the intake valves on engine.

The engine was mounted on the frame so each head lined up with a slot in tube so the exhaust flowed through the frame to a back mounted muffler.

Overall a car that had many firsts and gets very little notice or credit for them, I was lucky to get to do a lot of work on it
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:

Mercedes built 175 replicas and they have one for sale at their classic sales office in Commiefornia . It has been for sale for over a year.

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/vehicles/mercedes-benz-classic/classiccenter/vehicle-sale/#/vehicle/benz-patent-motorwagen-replica-15999
View Quote

Oh I am aware, but they often sell for a little bit less than the cost of our house.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey @Stutzmech

in your experience who makes the best CAST piston for engines?

will need a set for my 460, going forged is overkill and needless on expense for its future build and some of the normal off the shelf stuff has been questionable in recent years unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:31:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stutzmech] [#13]
Hey @Stutzmech

will need a set for my 460, going forged is overkill and needless on expense for its future build and some of the normal off the shelf stuff has been questionable in recent years unfortunately.
View Quote

Don’t use a cheap cast, I always use forged or an oem piston, middle of the road one i would recomend is Ross, not the best but they treated me well for a decent price, I always would measure, then order pistons/rings then get the block bored to fit in hand pistons while double checking all measurements, never trust anything made or machined by anybody else, rebuilding an engine must be done right when putting together, have you ever rebuilt an old engine?

ETA, are you doing complete rebuild or just freshening up your engine?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:46:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#14]

Don’t use a cheap cast, I always use forged or an oem piston, middle of the road one i would recomend is Ross, not the best but they treated me well for a decent price, I always would measure, then order pistons/rings then get the block bored to fit in hand pistons while double checking all measurements, never trust anything made or machined by anybody else, rebuilding an engine must be done right when putting together, have you ever rebuilt an old engine?

ETA, are you doing complete rebuild or just freshening up your engine?
View Quote

not since i was a teen with my Late uncle, both flatheads.

i know all the works to some degree, just none of the special tools and particular experience

Ross has been known to me for a while actually, being a big classic Pontiac nut means i know Butler performance, they have used Ross forged pistons for like 20 years or more now.

middle of the road i guess is what im looking for, its just a 460 so i have more options than a near bispoke piece for say a One cylinder cadilac.

and yeah evetually a complete rebuild with a more efficient cam that is in the OEM rpm range so its not going past 5k rpm
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#15]

not since i was a teen with my Late uncle, both flatheads.

i know all the works to some degree, just none of the special tools and particular experience

Ross has been known to me for a while actually, being a big classic Pontiac nut means i know Butler performance, they have used Ross forged pistons for like 20 years or more now.

middle of the road i guess is what im looking for, its just a 460 so i have more options than a near bispoke piece for say a One cylinder cadilac.
View Quote

It’s worth spending the extra 100 bucks or so to get forged/hypereutectic pistons, I would not get a long/short block from the mail order places for stock engines, I’ve done several 460s and it was 50/50 for getting a good rebuild from those places, I’d find a good local engine shop to do a short block and have your heads rebuilt/checked, the heads are were I ran into trouble with the mail order places, measurement and fitting is the most critical thing in rebuilding IMO, most home rebuilders don’t have the proper equip/ability’s to do a real good job, I get real detail oriented on doing an engine,good engines are rarely “slapped “ together
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:39:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#16]

It’s worth spending the extra 100 bucks or so to get forged/hypereutectic pistons, I would not get a long/short block from the mail order places for stock engines, I’ve done several 460s and it was 50/50 for getting a good rebuild from those places, I’d find a good local engine shop to do a short block and have your heads rebuilt/checked, the heads are were I ran into trouble with the mail order places, measurement and fitting is the most critical thing in rebuilding IMO, most home rebuilders don’t have the proper equip/ability’s to do a real good job, I get real detail oriented on doing an engine, good engines are rarely “slapped “ together
View Quote

yeah im fully prepared to have to send my stuff out of state to have people i know do it right, i have the capability to do it my self i just do not have the space nor the money for tools that i would only use once like a ring filer for any of the big iron, but electrical rebuilding of things? already on it.

by the way, any idea who is the Graveyard carz of Fords is?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Doble was a mad genius i have to say

Restoration Blog: March 2024
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey @Stutzmech

View Quote

The middle ground between forged and cast used to be the Hypereutectic pistons .  Stronger than cast and quieter than forged . I have used them in a couple of weekend warrior race engine builds with no problems.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:45:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Also Crane used to grind a smooth idle torque camshaft that would add 50-60 ft-lbs of torque to a big block Ford and have stock manners and good idle vacuum.. No idea who grinds something close since Crane is defunct .
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Fuck me Marcello Gandini died yesterday
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Speaking of pistons, try and find replacement cast iron pistons

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 2:51:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#22]
Speaking of pistons, try and find replacement cast iron pistons

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/498772/IMG_0350-3158783.png
View Quote

Yeah good luck, especially for the early early stuff which were all mostly one cylinders from 1L to 2L in displacement, talk about big

The Cadillac at the nearby museum actually has a Aluminum alloy piston that was made for it in the early 90s with a more modern ring set up, apparently it runs really good.

Although I've heard there has been mixed results with other vehicles from other people and yourself about going from iron to aluminum and vice versa with this really old stuff
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Yeah good luck, especially for the early early stuff which were all mostly one cylinders from 1L to 2L in displacement, talk about big

The Cadillac at the nearby museum actually has a Aluminum alloy piston that was made for it in the early 90s with a more modern ring set up, apparently it runs really good.

Although I've heard there has been mixed results with other vehicles from other people and yourself about going from iron to aluminum and vice versa with this really old stuff
View Quote

Yes, the pistons shown are cad. V-16, we generally replace most early pistons with modern aluminum as well as modern rods, cast iron piston are nicer as the run quieter though
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Yes, the pistons shown are cad. V-16, we generally replace most early pistons with modern aluminum as well as modern rods, cast iron piston are nicer as the run quieter though
View Quote

V16? That explains why there are so many in the fore ground

I have personally seen a v16 before, was like 13 years ago now.

Guy was lucky to have it and I bet he still does, it was a marmon 16 on a running engine stand. His dad found it in the 70s, car was long gone, was in a stretched hot rod back in the 50s and 60s apparently

Twas a neat thing
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 3:10:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stutzmech] [#25]

V16? That explains why there are so many in the fore ground

I have personally seen a v16 before, was like 13 years ago now.

Guy was lucky to have it and I bet he still does, it was a marmon 16 on a running engine stand. His dad found it in the 70s, car was long gone, was in a stretched hot rod back in the 50s and 60s apparently

Twas a neat thing
View Quote

They are really cool and fairly advanced for the time, never done a Marmon, mostly experienced with the 30s cad v-12-16, really cool to work on, interesting thing on them you can run just 1/2 the engine, 1 bank on each side and still drive, it’s also used to tune it, very easy to troubleshoot, interesting hydraulic valve tappits as well, after 39 was disappointing when they took a step backwards and went back to a flathead
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Common problem is you look at a part and have to decide is it easier to just make a new one or repair the existing part, anything is reparable if you put enough time/effort into it, I’ve seen some amazing repairs that you can’t tell it was repaired
View Quote

I seem to remember an intake manifold in need of some TLC that turned out quite nicely.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Hillbilly69:

I seem to remember an intake manifold in need of some TLC that turned out quite nicely.  
View Quote

Have done a lot of manifold work, gotten pretty decent with a tig,let me dig up some pics of some of my manifolds
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#28]
How amenable are those old engines to conversion to electronic ignition & EFI?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:00:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#29]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
How amenable are those old engines to conversion to electronic ignition & EFI?
View Quote

That's actually pretty Dang easy for a lot of them.

Met a guy with a 40s Packard That had a holly 2 barrel efi and a MSD crank trigger set up, required a bit of fab work on the pulley but it was pretty slick.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#30]

That's actually pretty Dang easy for a lot of them.

Met a guy with a 40s Packard That had a holly 2 barrel efi and a MSD crank trigger set up, required a bit of fab work on the pulley but it was pretty slick.
View Quote

Usually not worth it, unless modifying for higher rpm and power such as with racing, original stock ignition systems work well and last a long time if rebuilt properly and most carbs as well
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#31]
SAVED from the SCRAP PILE!!! Will this 100 year OLD engine RUN AGAIN? Engine REVIVE & Will It Run!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#32]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZAeBZcgd18
View Quote

I like those videos where old engines are cranked and run. It would have been nice if when he had
it apart he sand blasted and painted it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#33]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZAeBZcgd18
View Quote

Thanks for the vid, love the basic farm refurbishment, simple engine and basic stuff just about anybody could fix, you can keep these running for another couple of hundred years
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:23:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#34]
first 12 minutes of the vid are straight up small scale 19th century metal casting, alot of the old car engines were made in shops like if more primitive tools like that before Leyland, Olds and Ford got fully into the game.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#35]
first 12 minutes of the vid are straight up small scale 19th century metal casting, alot of the old car engines were made in shops like if more primitive tools like that before Leyland, Olds and Ford got fully into the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjyEm8cwpz8
View Quote

That’s a nice operation, surprised those methods are still allowed in Japan , don’t think we could run the same style in the us with the reg. we have, let alone the help here
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:57:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#36]

That’s a nice operation, surprised those methods are still allowed in Japan , don’t think we could run the same style in the us with the reg. we have, let alone the help here
View Quote

Japan because of the way a lot of its laws works actually allow most of the old world crafts to continue unabated if modernized, its a reason small time dye, bow and sword makers are still around there.

here, they would be crushed under a weight of state and federal bullshit

????? In Pursuit of Indigo: Japanese ikat /Traditional technique (hand weaving, natural indigo dye)
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#37]
meanwhile in Britain

SHED RACING - Hall-Scott Evolution - Building an Aero-Engined Racer
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#38]
meanwhile in Britain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niB5PN_CEAM
View Quote

Ivan is a great guy and his vids are fun to just listen to, British vintage racing guys are a strange bunch sometimes but they are very down to earth and fit right in to the early car people over here, most of them are less stuffy than guys here
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Kinda funny that 50+ year old British and American equipment is still being used in India and Pakistan

Incredible Process of Manufacturing Truck Engine Piston-Production of Truck Engine Piston|
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Ivan is a great guy and his vids are fun to just listen to, British vintage racing guys are a strange bunch sometimes but they are very down to earth and fit right in to the early car people over here, most of them are less stuffy than guys here
View Quote

yeah i saw him in another shop vid where they fabricated a crank for a experiential one of Mini 2 cylinder engine.

i do appreciate their less opinionated attitude too.

all my car life i have been chastised for liking the autos i like but im dont think most Europeans would do so.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#41]

yeah i saw him in another shop vid where they fabricated a crank for a experiential one of Mini 2 cylinder engine.

i do appreciate their less opinionated attitude too.

all my car life i have been chastised for liking the autos i like but im dont think most Europeans would do so.
View Quote

The British vintage car people are a lot less concerned over looks and getting ever higher power out of their cars and they seem to concentrate on driver over the actual car, they quite often have expressed to me humorously about Americans and their obsessions with paint jobs and shiny things and wiz bang gadgets, have had funny conversations with them on the phone over things like carbs and setting cam timing etc., they remind me of the way we used to be
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#42]
the detail we have lost.

1932 Lincoln Model KB, Sport Roadster by Murphy, ONE OF 5 EVER MADE!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#43]
the detail we have lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwt6035v6xs
View Quote

Think you would like this, had it before these photos in our shop, 32 lasalle, interesting car with a cool history, did a lot of work on it and we used it too push start some of our big cars at the track
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:31:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#44]

Think you would like this, had it before these photos in our shop, 32 lasalle, interesting car with a cool history, did a lot of work on it and we used it too push start some of our big cars at the track
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/498772/IMG_0371-3171917.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/498772/IMG_0374-3171918.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/498772/IMG_0376-3171919.jpg
View Quote

that is not a car i would expect to be made for such a task

noice though
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:54:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 30calTBLkid] [#45]
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#46]
London Brighton Veteran Car Run 2021
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 30calTBLkid:

Y'all make me want to start a new project something awful.
Stutzmech, may I ask at what age you new you wanted to become a mech, and what got you started?
View Quote

Worked from 10 years old at my dads gas station and garage and on and off for 40 years as mechanic, last 25 full time on older cars, always fascinated by all things mechanical and history
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:17:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stutzmech] [#48]

that is not a car i would expect to be made for such a task

noice though
View Quote

Ya, car was donated in the late 30s to a town here in mass, first was modified to pull a hook and ladder fire apparatus then later was converted to a tow truck, very common in the 30s on to convert big cars to industrial vehicals, they had mail order kits to convert and they were great for pulling light vehicles for small garages
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:19:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stutzmech] [#49]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ts1bx57Z4I
View Quote

We had a 1896 Haynes apperson that participated in that run
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Rebuilt 1914 Cadillac Engine - First Start in 65 Years!
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top