User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ryandushku:
The OP and current tipping culture are not related. This is a silly thing to fuck with regs at a dive bar . You know that right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ryandushku:
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

Just another way they hide the true cost.

I NEVER order delivery because of the bullshit they pull and the attitude of the drivers  don't tip me well and you get your shit cold or you get th3 "special sauce."

Fuck you, hope the stoners with munches are enough to keep you employed because nobody I know is doing delivery any more. We all go out and pick our food up.
The OP and current tipping culture are not related. This is a silly thing to fuck with regs at a dive bar . You know that right?

The thread title and OP aren't even related. At best, those Bar Tenders demand 4% or they'll list you as a shitty tipper.

But, the title made the discussion diverge quite a bit. These things happen.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
I am not a shitty tipper, but I would immediately turn around and leave any place with that sign.  And I would tell the manager why.
View Quote

That's my attitude.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
I am not a shitty tipper, but I would immediately turn around and leave any place with that sign.  And I would tell the manager why.
View Quote

I should send them a note and ask them to add me to the list, because I can never tip if I am never there.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#4]
lol
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#5]
lol
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:15:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skywarp2203] [#6]
Wrong thread
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Goes from shitty tipper to no longer a patron in 1.23 seconds.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Semi zombie/necro thread.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:25:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouchCommando22] [#9]
If you work in an industry where your livelihood depends on people giving you money based on your service, your service better be good. I went to Cracker Barrel with the family yesterday. Service was good and bill was $100. I gave the server $15 in cash. Sorry your skills don’t equate to me giving you oodles of money for putting a plate of food down on my table. Honestly, I would rather tip the cooks
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BlueHaya:
Now do shitty service board.....
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By CouchCommando22:
If you work in an industry where your livelihood depends on people giving you money based on your service, your service better be good. I went to Cracker Barrel with the family yesterday. Service was good and bill was $100. I gave the server $15 in cash. Sorry your skills don't equate to me giving you oodles of money for putting a plate of food down on my table. Honestly, I would rather tip the cooks
View Quote
Some places split the tips the wait staff gets with the cooks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Rob940:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rob940:
If you work in an industry where your livelihood depends on people giving you money based on your service, your service better be good. I went to Cracker Barrel with the family yesterday. Service was good and bill was $100. I gave the server $15 in cash. Sorry your skills don't equate to me giving you oodles of money for putting a plate of food down on my table. Honestly, I would rather tip the cooks

And the bussers and the food runners…….
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Col_Sanders:
I'd be on that list probably.  Handing me a bottle of beer across a countertop is not worthy of a large tip.

View Quote

I tipped for good service because I went to have a good time and wanted to be fed beers quickly.

If I don’t wait you are really really going to like me. If I wait then you might be mad.

I tipped big or very little. If you acknowledged me and said something I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. I
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd list the bartender as a handsy gay man.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:08:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: d16man] [#15]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#16]
If I seen that board, I wouldn't tip just so my name would be on it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By redfish86:
Meh.

If you can’t afford to throw the chick a buck when you order a beer, maybe you should stay at home.
View Quote

She's being paid to bring me my beer right?  Not doing it out of the goodness of her heart?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#18]

"DAMN Zorma -------------- you done busted yo ass gettin that brewski outta the cooler and poppin the top off and walkin 4 feet to put the bottle in front of me ---------- here be a C-note for your trouble...!"
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:32:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#19]
If you work in an industry where your livelihood depends on people giving you money based on your service, your service better be good. I went to Cracker Barrel with the family yesterday. Service was good and bill was $100. I gave the server $15 in cash. Sorry your skills don’t equate to me giving you oodles of money for putting a plate of food down on my table. Honestly, I would rather tip the cooks
View Quote

Your first sentence and your subsequent statements don't line up. You know the server does more than "put your food on the table" right? I used to work at Cracker Barrel when I was a college student.

Take your order
Enter it into the computer (so they can cook it)
Pour and bring you your drinks
Check your order for accuracy in the window
Gather all the biscuits/cornbread/butter/honey/jam that a table of your size needs
Bring you the food and all the other items
Check back on the food within 1 minute of receiving it
Bring refills as needed, as soon as a glass is empty
Pre-bus the table if necessary
Take order for desserts - put into the computer
Make the desserts
Bring out the desserts
Not to mention all the "side work" the server has to do to make sure all of the above steps can happen quickly and properly (like rolling silverware, cutting lemons for the drinks, making sure the ice bins are stocked, making sure all the soft drink fountains are working properly (CO2 and syrup), making iced tea, etc)

On a busy shift you are running around almost nonstop for hours, this is not an exaggeration, one day I averaged 2.5 MPH for 2 hours. (I walked 5 miles in 2 hours)

All while potentially doing the same for 3-7 other tables, not taking too long, getting it out fast and accurate.
I've worked as a server and it's not an easy job, and not everyone can do it. It's dishonest to handwave away things you don't understand.

That said, $15 is a fair tip for $100, Cracker Barrel notoriously attracts bad tippers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#20]
These's the shitty tippers where's the board with the best tippers?

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm also not obligated to be a customer
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Paul:
These's the shitty tippers where's the board with the best tippers?

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By djkest:

Your first sentence and your subsequent statements don't line up. You know the server does more than "put your food on the table" right? I used to work at Cracker Barrel when I was a college student.

Take your order
Gather all the biscuits/cornbread/butter/honey/jam that a table of your size needs
Make the desserts
Bring out the desserts
Not to mention all the "side work" the server has to do to make sure all of the above steps can happen quickly and properly (like rolling silverware, cutting lemons for the drinks, making sure the ice bins are stocked, making sure all the soft drink fountains are working properly (CO2 and syrup), making iced tea, etc)

On a busy shift you are running around almost nonstop for hours, this is not an exaggeration, one day I averaged 2.5 MPH for 2 hours. (I walked 5 miles in 2 hours)

All while potentially doing the same for 3-7 other tables, not taking too long, getting it out fast and accurate.
I've worked as a server and it's not an easy job, and not everyone can do it. It's dishonest to handwave away things you don't understand.

That said, $15 is a fair tip for $100, Cracker Barrel notoriously attracts bad tippers.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By djkest:

Take your order
Make the desserts
Bring out the desserts

People who wait tables and are good at it are some of the hardest working people out there.  My daughter waited tables (at two different Cracker Barrels, plus a couple other places); she worked her ass off.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#24]
One thing you will always hear is that EVERYONE in the waitress/waiter field is the absolutely best one ever in their field. Never yet heard one say they were pretty lousy and didn't deserve getting a tip.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
People who wait tables and are good at it are some of the hardest working people out there.  My daughter waited tables (at two different Cracker Barrels, plus a couple other places); she worked her ass off.
View Quote

You don't even have to work hard...  

A study was done recently that showed just repeating back the order to the customer increased the amount of tips that were received. I'm sure it also reduced errors.

I'd just like to see my coffee cup/water glass not being left empty for half an hour necessitating me visiting the bar or kitchen for a refill.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:17:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#26]
Bar tenders pull a higher wage than food servers so fuck them.

I worked at bars as a young man and tenders usually got a buck a drink tip.  It encouraged them to move more liquor and the ones with good shifts could pull $400-600 a night.  I also doubt they were reporting all of that income. Most of them only worked part time because it was lucrative and they could do what they liked the rest of the time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Sounds racist
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By PatriotAr15:
Leaving a 2% Tip on a $222 tab is pretty damn shitty.
Thats less than 1%.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#29]
You don't have to make a show out of it. The short amount of time I bar tended, the good tippers got fast service, heavy pours and good conversation. The shitty tippers waited and watched all that happen before reaching for the jigger to make their drink.

That wasn't really the problem though, most people who bought drinks tipped well. It was the poor, heavy drinking youngsters with ice chests in their trunks/beds. Hmmm these two knuckle heads were sober when they showed up 45 minutes ago and appear to be buzzed off the one beer they bought. Pick it up, still 2/3 full? In the sink right in front of them then ask what I can get them. Sometimes they got all fired up, it was nice to remove assholes then watch them leave on their own.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Id find a different place to drink
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Kanati:
I'm already paying you 1000% markup to pour cheap booze into a cup and hand it to me.

"Don't take wooden nickles."
View Quote

Don't stare at the sun.

Don't smoke in bed.

Sea Biscuit in the 4th.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#33]
So a tip becomes an obligatory non-obligatory surcharge.

If it's required, then add it to the base price. How someone else does their accounting is not my issue.

If it's not, then something further than just doing one's job is required.

If it's demanded, then it's plain extortion. I'm not sure I'd trust my food or drink if I were to fall into disfavor too.
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top