Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

I thought that was  the Tritiums job.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By C-4:
Why are you covering your fiber optic gather'?

@lazyengineer

The ? rubber tubing covers the fiber optic and then you put a small light underneath it that you can click on like this to use at night/low light.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36246/IMG_1942-3091876.jpg

Is that correct @RustedAce?

What do you use for rubber tubing?

What specific light do you use?

It's a bicycle inner tube to keep the fiber from gathering too much light in full sun.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Says the man with RD's on top of his AR's and a T-50 not seen.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:01:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RealityCheck0311] [#3]
How does the NX8 compare to the older NX 2.5-10x24?

Had one of the older models and the eye box was a little tight at higher magnifications.

Really forced you to have a consistent cheek weld though.

Incredible glass though and surprisingly bright for only 24mm

Also curious how the NX8s do against the SB Short Dot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By gman82001:
It's ok to be poor
View Quote

No it’s not.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#5]
PA MicroPrisms.

Fight my colostomy bag!
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#6]
fuckin purse swingers and can’t even get a therm drone. damn peasants

@ThrustMyStoma
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RustedAce:
You cannot change my mind.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47980/IMG_3611-3091073.jpg
View Quote

What applications are best for NX8 vs ACOG?
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:52:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By USNGM2:
TA110 is for men. TA33 is for children.
View Quote

Enjoy your etched reticle when your battery shits the bed and leaks inside your BatCOG.

500 years from now, archeologists are going to find ACOGs, Reflex, and Meprolight sights that still work as fantastic daylight and lowlight scopes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:
ACOG or Aimpoint PRO

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/working-Aimpoint-Fire-web.jpg
View Quote

My PA SLX 1x prism lived thru my housefire too.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HRoark87:

It's a bicycle inner tube to keep the fiber from gathering too much light in full sun.
View All Quotes
Why are you covering your fiber optic gather'?

@lazyengineer

The ? rubber tubing covers the fiber optic and then you put a small light underneath it that you can click on like this to use at night/low light.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36246/IMG_1942-3091876.jpg

Is that correct @RustedAce?

What do you use for rubber tubing?

What specific light do you use?

I’ve read this as well in 2 previous threads from the OP, but from other posters.  The last 2 times I’ve @ him and asked, I didn’t get an answer.  

The small light was posted by him IIRC but it could have been another poster when the Tritium is fading after years.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:04:17 AM EDT
[#11]

If anyone around me had a S&B, I'd probably end up buying one. That's just a lot of money to drop on an optic without being able to look through it once.
View Quote

Just yes, dude.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:31:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#12]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

Enjoy your etched reticle when your battery shits the bed and leaks inside your BatCOG.

500 years from now, archeologists are going to find ACOGs, Reflex, and Meprolight sights that still work as fantastic daylight and lowlight scopes.
View Quote

The gel that holds the fiber optic rod will eventually give. They can start cracking after as little as a year if they’re in sunlight a lot. Not an issue for any of us but they’ll be withered away by the time our grandkids inherit them. Same could be said about a lot of our gear though.

Gen 2 PMAG’s are already starting to break. Aimpoint LED’s will burn out around 50,000-200,000 hours. Ammo will go bad if not in a controlled environment. Rubber seals and glues on LPVO’s will turn to dust. Time is a cruel bitch.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:36:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PacNW5] [#13]

I’ve read this as well in 2 previous threads from the OP, but from other posters.  The last 2 times I’ve @ him and asked, I didn’t get an answer.  

The small light was posted by him IIRC but it could have been another poster when the Tritium is fading after years.
View Quote

The light's for the fiber optic so you can have an illuminated reticle in low light. If you turn on your light, the reticle will be black without it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:47:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I need a tanodized nx8 now

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:49:35 AM EDT
[#15]
NX8 is definitely like looking through a straw. Sold mine. The ATACR 1-8X is much much better than the NX8.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:56:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Leupold HAMR

T2  - DEVO combo

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:03:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Spacejunk:
I need a tanodized nx8 now

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/342434/IMG_5295-3092142.jpg
View Quote
$1550 at eurooptic
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:08:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By HecklerKac:

How?
View Quote

He has a reservation on land that has been blessed by a deity that likes to break stuff. Stuff just breaks there. Guns, optics, ribs, etc.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:09:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a TA33 with RMR set up, but my eyes keep getting shittier as I get older so the reticle is blurry. Still usable not not ideal. I wish it had a diopter.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:10:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Send me one of each and I’ll let you know if I agree.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:14:57 AM EDT
[#21]

I break everything and none of my 3 NX8s has failed.
View Quote

How?  None of what you posted looks used :)
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:23:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Serious question. For a TA33, is it easier to use the red chevron, or the green horseshoe?
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:35:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By trythisname:
Serious question. For a TA33, is it easier to use the red chevron, or the green horseshoe?
View Quote

Personal preference. Green horseshoe for me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:38:36 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

I've tried a couple different optics (not ACOGs) with green reticles. Dots, an eotech, some type of prism scope (don't remember, doesn't matter). I hate them. And I mean hate.

There probably is some use case where they work, maybe with some types of color blindness, but I have full color vision correctable to 20/20 and I hate green reticles.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:40:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm too poor so Ill stick with my Steiner one by four
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:43:16 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

For what kind of shooting? The horseshoe is pretty tight to the dot in the TA33 but it’s the only TA33 I’ve had the chance to get behind. Felt pretty cramped.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:52:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By binthere:
Second Focal Plane is the way to go with an LPVO.

But I do love Nightforce glass.
View Quote

You don't buy Nightforce for glass.

I’m a fan of their products.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:52:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Add the ATACR you poor!
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:52:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#29]

I own both. The ridiculous size/weight of the ATACR isn’t worth it’s benefits.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47980/IMG_3613-3091821.jpg

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Millennial:
Fail.

I've looked through an ATACR and NX-8 side by side... and came to the conclusion there's no reason to own an NX-8.  And the further you were shooting, the more that holds true.  If you want an 8x LPVO get the ATACR, if you want a 6X get a Razor, if you want a 4X get a P4Xi... Personally I think an 8x on a 5.56 is a bit overkill.

Also ACOGs are nice but lack of a diopter and incompatibility with night vision eventually became deal breakers for me.

”Ridiculous” size/weight difference?!?

It’s only 1.4” longer and 3.4oz heavier… going on like a 7-8 LB gun.  You can save ~3oz switching to a different high quality mounting solution in a heartbeat. And it’s not a long LPVO… it’s the same length as a razor; one of the most popular LPVOs of the last decade.

thou dost protest too much, methinks

The optical difference is however noticeable, especially at 400+ yards and/or in unfavorable lighting.  Bigger tube, better light gathering, better class of optics, better 1X eyebox and dot brightness, and noticeably better at longer ranges with a better reticle.  Honestly, I’d just rather go 1-6x Razor before 1-8x NX8 if I wanted to save money by not getting an ATACR…

For someone that frequents short/mid one-way ranges on sunny-days though… the NX8 is an excellent choice; keeps the weight in your wallet and off your rifle.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 2:09:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quality full size Red dot or Holographic = best optic for SBR and CQB to 100+ yards. Probably meets 90% of realistic needs for 90% of people.

TA31 with piggyback = best general fighting rifle optic setup for standard 14-16" AR primarily used 50-350 yards.

Scopes for bigger calibers, hunting, old blind guys, DMR and longer range.

LVPO 1-X with a piggy back RDS is fucking dumb. Either use the scope 1X for close up and night vision, or use an MVPO with an RDS. Of all the current stupid gear queer fads, LVPO with piggyback RDS is the worst.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 2:10:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#31]

It’s only 1.4” longer and 3.4oz heavier… going on like a 7-8 LB gun.  You can save ~3oz switching to a different high quality mounting solution in a heartbeat. And it’s not a long LPVO… it’s the same length as a razor; one of the most popular LPVOs of the last decade.

The optical difference is however noticeable, especially at 400+ yards and/or in unfavorable lighting.  Bigger tube, better light gathering, better class of optics, better 1X eyebox and dot brightness, and noticeably better at longer ranges with a better reticle.  

For someone that frequents short/mid one-way ranges on sunny-days though… the NX8 is an excellent choice; keeps the weight in your wallet and off your rifle.
View All Quotes
Fail.

I've looked through an ATACR and NX-8 side by side... and came to the conclusion there's no reason to own an NX-8.  And the further you were shooting, the more that holds true.  If you want an 8x LPVO get the ATACR, if you want a 6X get a Razor, if you want a 4X get a P4Xi... Personally I think an 8x on a 5.56 is a bit overkill.

Also ACOGs are nice but lack of a diopter and incompatibility with night vision eventually became deal breakers for me.

The optical difference is however noticeable, especially at 400+ yards and/or in unfavorable lighting.  Bigger tube, better light gathering, better class of optics, better 1X eyebox and dot brightness, and noticeably better at longer ranges with a better reticle.  

I owned both at the same time and used an NX8 almost exclusively evening and nighttime yote hunting for two solid seasons without issue.  I also pretty regularly shoot the NX8 low/no light.  

I see the error in my ways now that you’ve told us how useless they are outside of perfect sunny weather, though.  I mean, you’ve looked through them once side by side.  Hard to argue with that.

They both have identical reticles these days too, BTW.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 2:11:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Cybernetic organism telling human mortals what glass to look through is kind of like a hummingbird telling turkeys how to fly.

SFP isn't just Hitler, it's the devil.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 2:23:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

For what kind of shooting? The horseshoe is pretty tight to the dot in the TA33 but it’s the only TA33 I’ve had the chance to get behind. Felt pretty cramped.
View All Quotes

Thanks to all 3 for your answers. The type of shooting would be for both static and moving targets for flexibility. I have the good deal PSA bought Vortex green/red dot sights and can see both, but like green. I'm almost 60 and it's getting harder to use irons past 50 yards.

I've always like the idea of seeing out to at least 100 yards and acquire a target whether moving or not quickly.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 2:59:10 AM EDT
[#34]
100%

They are the only ones I want.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 3:06:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: binthere] [#35]
Originally Posted By adavis:

You don't buy Nightforce for glass.

I’m a fan of their products.
View Quote

It’s not as good as Schmidt & Bender which is not as good as Zeiss Hensoldt but Nightforce glass isn’t terrible either.

I have three ATACR scopes. all FFP. Great scopes. Better tracking than S&B PMII’s. Granted the glass is of slightly lesser quality. But they are better mechanically.

I still stand by the claim that for war use, a SFP LPVO is better than a FFP LPVO.

Reasoning is that on 1x, you can still see a reticle and do not have to rely on a red dot which may or may a not be bright enough in sunlight.

Secondly, if you aren’t using an LPVO on 1x, when are you really not going to go to the full 6x or 8x?

That’s not a huge difference in magnification. So a sfp reticle isn’t a real deal breaker as in an actual sniper scope.

If you can’t see what you are shooting at on 1x, you go to full 6x or 8x. Then your reticle is true to mil or bdc anyway.

You can’t use a FFP reticle on 1x. You need the red dot. With a sfp you don’t need the red dot.

Out to one to three hundred meters you don’t need magnification to hit a man sized tgt anyway.

So at a full magnification of 6-8x why do you really need the scope reticle to disappear for all intents and purposes at very low magnification. It’s not helping you at all.

These aren’t sniper scopes and clip on night vision works just fine at 6x or 8x. So a sfp LPVO isn’t a hindrance there either.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 3:12:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: binthere] [#36]
Oopsie daisy
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 3:13:05 AM EDT
[#37]
I'll stick with my Kahles, but you enjoy your peasant class optics.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 3:13:46 AM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By USNGM2:
TA110 is for men. TA33 is for children.

I dunno.

The TA-01 I have didn't seem very durable to me.

One of the internal lenses broke and the prism locked up from tiny shards of glass.

The glass was nice before it shit the bed. Not abused, just normal use.

A head to head destructive durability test with modern optics would be interesting.

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 3:15:01 AM EDT
[#39]

SFP is Hitler.
View Quote

You do alot of LR holding at a lower than max mag setting with an 1-8x?  Serious question, if I go to plink some steel at 400-600yds with an ar, I naturally crank it up.  Granted my lpvo have been 1-6 razors or 1-4 px4i.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 3:17:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:

I've tried a couple different optics (not ACOGs) with green reticles. Dots, an eotech, some type of prism scope (don't remember, doesn't matter). I hate them. And I mean hate.

There probably is some use case where they work, maybe with some types of color blindness, but I have full color vision correctable to 20/20 and I hate green reticles.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:

I agree. Don't like green at all.

Red and surprisingly amber work better for me.

I thought I would hate amber but when I actually tried it I was surprised.

YMMV etc etc.

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 3:25:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#41]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

I owned both at the same time and used an NX8 almost exclusively evening and nighttime yote hunting for two solid seasons without issue.  I also pretty regularly shoot the NX8 low/no light.  

I see the error in my ways now that you’ve told us how useless they are outside of perfect sunny weather, though.  I mean, you’ve looked through them once side by side.  Hard to argue with that.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
Fail.

Didn't say they were worthless.  For a short form factor, light, rugged scope, they're pretty fantastic.  However it's the OP that's declaring the NX8 1-8x is the only (one of two) optics worth having; which is a direct inference that no other optics are worth having.  

That's a pretty erroneous statement to make considering the NX8 is not even the all-around best performing 1-8X LPVO from it's own manufacturer.  That's all I was pointing out.  Because short form factor high-zoom ratio scopes have to make compromises.  Lightweight scopes scopes have to make compromises.  And while I think the NX-8 is pretty f'in fantastic considering it's both... it is  still making some compromises.  So it is, by far, not "the only LPVO worth having"... not by a long shot.  That's clickbait BS.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 4:17:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By realwar:
NX8 is definitely like looking through a straw. Sold mine. The ATACR 1-8X is much much better than the NX8.
View Quote

Lol, ta33 is the definition of looking through a straw.  OP likes straws?
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#43]

The gel that holds the fiber optic rod will eventually give. They can start cracking after as little as a year if they’re in sunlight a lot. Not an issue for any of us but they’ll be withered away by the time our grandkids inherit them. Same could be said about a lot of our gear though.

Gen 2 PMAG’s are already starting to break. Aimpoint LED’s will burn out around 50,000-200,000 hours. Ammo will go bad if not in a controlled environment. Rubber seals and glues on LPVO’s will turn to dust. Time is a cruel bitch.
View All Quotes

I read that about the PMAG feedlips too. One of the reasons I'm switching to all steel mags where possible.

How long does everyone think an ATACR will last?
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:35:13 AM EDT
[#44]
NX8 and TA110

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:

I read that about the PMAG feedlips too. One of the reasons I'm switching to all steel mags where possible.

How long does everyone think an ATACR will last?
View Quote

The PMAG feedlips are supposed to break.  That's the whole point.  With the aluminum or steel mags, the feed lips bend and you don't spot a bad mag until you slap it into the magwell and it coughs up multiple rounds or misfeeds. Once you exceed the elasticity limits of the PMAG, the feedlips break and you've got a nice visual indicator that the magazine is no longer reliable.

If you are in a military/big agency environment, this saves you the trouble of stomping the aluminum or steel mag bodies flat to prevent them from being recycled back into service.  Heck, even as an individual, during the 1994 ban, I spent a lot of time trying to rebuild/rebend feed lips to make mags work.  Then you forget which mag that is when it's in a bag with 10 other mags - which is when I started labeling each mag with a paint pen.

Now, I just throw away the broken mag and buy a new $10 mag.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By NorCalRT:
To many reports of NX8 failing for my likings, I'll stick with ATACR or Razor III.
View Quote

I'd like to know more.  Any links or pics?
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#49]
I love my Nx8, however its on the way back to NF due to a problem with it. I don't know what happened, but now anything above 6x looks like there's vaseline smeared over the lens. Adjusting the diopter would change it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#50]
jUsT get An AtAcR.

Yeah, I got one. It turns a 5.56 AR into a brick, not worth it.

Fine on a bigger gun that’s going to be shot static more.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47980/IMG_3613-3091298.jpg
View Quote

Damn, she’s a big girl
Page / 20
Top Top